Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Sp3cia1-K's Goat Built Ibex Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2014, 07:29 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Sp3cia1-K's Goat Built Ibex Build

Well I kind of knew that this would get some custom axles once I got it up and running, well its not even going yet and I have Beefed Rc doing his fine work building some axles for me.. David over at Beefed Rc can build any custom axle you can think of, centered ar60 to extreme offset through to narrow like my class 1 axles or super wide using long side wraith shafts and all of his axles are built with his own alloy tubes machined to suit!
Check his work out on his facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/BeefedRC

So I'm getting some AR60s narrowed to Xr width with difference being split outside the link mounts so I can keep the traditional link mount config, ooorrrrrrr more so, Dlux compatible Some dlux shafts and sporty front and rear trusses will be on their way soo as well
So after getting off the phone with David from Beefed Rc, he sent this through..

Top is my custom axle and bottom is xr width as well but with the narrowing between pumpkin and long side link mount.
Sp3cia1-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2014, 07:36 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

I hope to get this thing up and running for the comp this weekend - although only on scx10 axles. Even if I don't run it in C3, it would be good to make it move!
Super busy with exams and assignments at the moment so hopefully I can get some stuff done, I'll try and update before then - eg. body panels and how they turned out - and with some more pics with (hopefully) some action shots to come
Old 09-09-2014, 07:49 AM   #23
Pebble Pounder

Figured that seeing as though I have a hand in this build, I should subscribe,

This is going to be one tuff rig.
d_j_stockton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:46 PM   #24
Pebble Pounder

Theres a comp this weekend? Where at?
Also reading this makes me want an U4 all the more every time I see it

The Trukkracea
trukkracea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 04:03 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Yeah theres a comp up at cedar creek this weekend.
And you should, it'll be my go to fun rig for sure when it's done
Old 09-09-2014, 05:31 PM   #26
Pebble Pounder

I have a chassis and a gq shell had been thinking of turning into an Australian Safari style race truck

The Trukkracea
trukkracea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:09 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Here is another sneak peak at the new axles coming for this..

Can't wait to get them in my hands tomorrow at the comp..
Old 09-12-2014, 08:27 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

I mocked my fullsize ar60s with dlux trusses under the chassis just to get a feel how I am going to set it all up when these axles arrive..

Here is a unique little set up I came up with that I hope to replicate on the xr60s..

Full BTA setup with flipped servo to try and further hide it even more, plan is to then make it look like a suck down winch by adding a farelead or something.. The hitec 7954 that I will be using for this build though has a lower profile than the HH HV400 so should give a bit better clearances, will still probably have to fab up some kind of skid plate though..

Onto just some shots of the panels, I haven't redone them yet, probably won't until after the comp tomorrow, going by some tests, I think the 'sticker sheets' should hold up okay but the 'printed' elements will scratch.. Time will tell.

If these don't hold up that well, I'm considering getting some vinyl wrap off ebay or something and cutting it out by hand...

Otherwise these panels will be used for a different scheme and I might get another set wrapped in the Ibex design. I love the rich deep metallic blue of these, just hard to get the design definition I was hoping..

Loving this thing so far though!
Old 09-13-2014, 12:45 AM   #29
RCC Addict

I really hope that servo location works. Should really clean up the front end and keep performance at 100%
djjiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 03:00 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

this build is looking great.. i cant wait to have mine to this level of built
mce076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 05:16 AM   #31
Rock Crawler

Are you getting enough throw with that servo setup ? it looks like the rodend would bottom out on the servo..... could be just the angle in the pic tho.
northkona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 05:30 AM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by northkona View Post
Are you getting enough throw with that servo setup ? it looks like the rodend would bottom out on the servo..... could be just the angle in the pic tho.
The bta or scx axle setup? Nothing seems to bottom out and gets full throw before anything touches
Old 09-13-2014, 05:57 AM   #33
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp3cia1-K View Post
The bta or scx axle setup? Nothing seems to bottom out and gets full throw before anything touches
The BTA on the AR60, it just looks really close in the pic.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:04 AM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
The BTA on the AR60, it just looks really close in the pic.
It was already getting full lock by the time it got close to the servo, I tried a few different ways and got similar results, although none have been physically run yet
Old 09-14-2014, 07:50 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

So I competed with this in C3 yesterday and went alright considering it was finished late the night before and only had a battery plugged in to check the motor and servo wasn't reversed.

A few issues came about, the main being losing a shock retainer part way through the first course so basically had no front end shock support for the whole day.. also had wheel nut and hex come off, but some how didn't loose the pin so it was an easy fix.

I need some new tires though, something taller and more grip, the treps just aren't hooking up.

So the basic to do list is to get some 1.9 growlers or compass tires, get a spring retainer and tune the shocks a bit better and get the new xr width wraith axles up and going that I got from David yesterday.

Can't wait to get these axles mounted up and running, thanks to David from Beefed Rc for building another sick pair of axles
Old 09-19-2014, 06:55 AM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Not much of an update but just waiting on some parts to arrive for this thing

Dlux clearanced wraith shafts that will be narrowed to suit
Dlux sporty trusses
1.9 Pitbull Growlers with CI Dueces Wild foams
1.55 Pitbull Growler spare on spare 1.9 rc4wd Raceline Monster
Heyok KOH brake light controller
Hot Racing's new style locker (2 m5 set screws per shaft - 4 in total!)
HPI Apache C1 interior - Not sure if I'll use it, see how it looks
Wraith rear shafts and xr lockouts

A little side note in regard to the axles, to those who might have looked closely to the photo I posted the other day, you may notice only one housing was actually narrowed up...

...That's because BeefedRc and I worked out that a standard ar60 housing with an xr lockout is the same width as a xr width modded housing with wraith lockouts or knuckles and chubs - Pictures will come explaining a bit better when some parts arrive
I'll also post up a little comparison between all my BeefedRc axles - The first set of custom axles he made, my dual short side wraith housings for my C1, Standard width for the wraith and XR width for the IBex
Old 09-22-2014, 10:28 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

So my order from RPP came in this morning which had my xr10 lockouts and a bunch of other stuff, so first thing I did was a bit of mockup showing all my axle widths using the rear as the example.

First off here is my two Beefed Rc custom axles for this build, top is the front narrowed housing with 9.5mm removed from the outside of the link mounts with a wraith lockout (same width as wraith knuckles/chubs) and the bottom housing is standard ar60 width but with the xr lockouts. The shorter length of the xr lockout is the perfect dimension for making xr width axles and lines up perfectly with wraith/xr knuckles and chubs (well in this photo, a wraith lockout)

Next is a comparison shot showing how much narrower the axles will be compared to a full size ar60.
Also lined my Beefed Rc C1 axles from my Cherokee, it runs dual short side wraith shafts making it roughly 5mm narrower than a standard scx10 axle - (Using this set up makes the front axle approx 17mm shorter than the typical 'narrow xr mod' axle from memory)

I did just some rough measurements of the axles from outside lockout to outside lockout. I though it would be better doing it that way as each axle uses a different hex style/width.

Full width AR60 (Wraith): 232mm
XR60 (Axles built for this IBex chassis): 213mm
My Class One Axles (Dual Wraith short side shafts): 175mm
SCX10: 180mm (Add 12.7mm for narrow xr mod - wide xr mod will grant you essentially the same width as the xr60)

Just note that they could be a mm or two out as my callipers don't reach that far and had to use a tape measure, but the critical dimension is that the xr60/xr10 is 19mm narrower than the ar60

Last edited by Sp3cia1-K; 09-23-2014 at 12:29 AM.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:24 AM   #38
Rock Crawler

Great info, that XR60 looks about what I need for my next build.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:48 AM   #39
Quarry Creeper

I think you could make quite the build with some xr60s..
Apart from anything else, by the time you get the rcbros tubes or any of the other offerings and go to all the effort, you may as well go for Davids custom ar60 platform, makes diff maintenance a heck of a lot easier as you don't have to pull the whole thing apart, just pop the diff cover off and you are good to go!

I know David has been doing some xr60s for someone else but reduced the width along the long side tube, its the freedom like that which makes it such a good option in my opinion! I know I will have to probably mount my links on the inside of the mounts as they are still the original width, that was mainly so I could run the dlux trusses.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:53 AM   #40
Pebble Pounder

Great write up Kyle,

Thanks for being part of the Team.

Quote:
Great info, that XR60 looks about what I need for my next build.
send me a msg and we can talk options and what i can do for you,

Cheers David
BeefedRC
d_j_stockton is offline   Reply With Quote

Sp3cia1-K's Goat Built Ibex Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jethro's Ibex build (Harley's Plans Scaled for 1.9's) Jethrobodean 1.9 Scale Rigs 80 02-11-2020 07:03 AM
Harley's Ibex Goat Built Wraith Harley Axial Wraith 57 09-09-2019 02:19 PM
2.2 Ibex build MNorby 2.2 Scale Rigs 17 10-03-2015 07:20 AM
1.9 Ibex budget build Brassbender805 1.9 Scale Rigs 0 06-19-2014 10:58 PM
Sp3cia1-K's Poison Spyder Wraith Rebuild Sp3cia1-K Axial Wraith 26 04-14-2014 07:24 AM