MNorby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2015, 04:07 PM   #82
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Sp3cia1-K's Goat Built Ibex Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNorby View Post
Great build! A little inspiration to get back on my mini ibex
Thanks, I really need to get back to updating this thread too even though there hasn't been many changes of late
Sp3cia1-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:00 PM   #83
Quarry Creeper

I was looking over the rig the other day and saw something in the rear looked out of whack and I eventually found the issue..

..A broken shock mount.

I'm not overly bummed about the break because I've been meaning to fix the shock geometry for ages.

Here's a mock up of the rear setup, with the addition of 6 or so mount locations drilled.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:44 PM   #84
Quarry Creeper

I got some nice chassis related updates with things I have been meaning to do for a long time! It is just in primer stage at the moment so should be posting some pictures later tonight and some running shots tomorrow morning.

While I was fixing the rear shock mounts I raised the front and rear bar work to give better approach/departure angles; I also added in a light bar mount inside the cab area and a bunch of other tweaks that I'll show once all the paint has dried
Old 07-13-2015, 04:30 AM   #85
Quarry Creeper

First major thing was obviously reworking the rear shock mounts which ended up working a treat!
I can also use the mounts for a sway bar, something I've never run but have had in my drawer for well over a year.

Second thing I remodelled was the front end again to this time actually raise the front bumper height as it would hit things far too often. I also gives it a much more aggressive look too

Third was reworking the rear section by cutting out the big spare tire mount and raising the rear in a similar way to the front. Due to where/how I did it, I didn't gain too much more uptravel compared to before but looks better
The plan is to either run a spare laying flat in the rear section or a yeti fuel cell

Last but not least is a light bar mount for my crawler dad v2 light bar. I opted to mount it inside the cab due to the delrin housing construction plus it was easier

After all this work it was obviously time to paint again and I ended up going with a similar metallic red as last time, except an actual paint not a colour top coat which turned into a fail.
I did a test spray on a piece of chassis off-cut and with no prep, cleaning, primer or anything; the paint sticks brilliantly and is near impossible to scrape/scratch off after just 3 minutes.. I can tell its going to be a million times better than that other rubbish last time!

Speaking of paint...

Primer:

Paint:

I ran out of time the other night to update the thread, well I this is where I was at with the build at midnight and had a comp over an hour away at 8..
Got to bed at about 4am and my alarm went off at 6am..

This is how it looked after a hard morning running on the rocks.. And would you look at that, it still has paint on it!

Unfortunately we didn't have the numbers to run C3 but to be honest I had so much fun just learning the rear steering that I was happy to not compete.

Also to clarify on the changes to the running gear, I am currently running the full width ar60 axle up front with narrow axial hexes and in the rear it is the narrowed xr width ar60 axle with some big wide hexes to compensate for the difference.
And the wheels are the axial 8 holes with LockedUp rings running a set of 2.2 Baja Claws reduced to 1.9s
Old 07-13-2015, 05:31 AM   #86
Quarry Creeper

Got the crawler dad light bar mounted and it is good to get it back on a rig again..

Just watch your eyes that you don't burn holes in them

Last edited by Sp3cia1-K; 07-13-2015 at 05:36 AM.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:24 AM   #87
Quarry Creeper

I've been running this as much as I can in the rocks behind my house just to get a better feel for the rear steer and when to use it.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:04 AM   #88
Rock Crawler

what radio you using to control the rear steer? I prefer independent control of the rear like in our real rock crawlers and used a DX3r but was basically full lock or straight only. Just picked up a MT4 and the lever works so slick for independent rear steer plus being 4 channel running the dig too.
MNorby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 04:12 PM   #89
Quarry Creeper

I run a hacked flysky gt3c and use the dr ch 3 for 0/50/100% each direction and love the control I get from it.
Old 12-03-2015, 03:52 PM   #90
Quarry Creeper

I realized it has been quite a long time since I have updated this thread, I since converted it back to the regular setup with front steer only.

The biggest addition is the BKRC 3d printed engine installed up front. The engine matched up the the original cutout made for the exo engine so was very little hassle to install.

Old 12-03-2015, 03:58 PM   #91
Quarry Creeper

This is likely to be one of my last updates for the Ibex as I will be putting this up in the for sale section later today/tomorrow..
It will be sad to see it leave but have to make room for something else that is about to make its way here
Old 12-09-2015, 04:16 PM   #92
Quarry Creeper

I finally got a ad up in the for sale section, also selling my yeti if anyone is interested in either rig.
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/sale/...xial-yeti.html
Old 12-09-2015, 07:18 PM   #93
I wanna be Dave

Such a sweet rig. Wish I had the cash.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:55 PM   #94
Quarry Creeper

It will be sad to see it go.. if your serious I could separate it out to a roller/slider or something

Sent from my HTC_0PKV1 using Tapatalk

Sp3cia1-K's Goat Built Ibex Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jethro's Ibex build (Harley's Plans Scaled for 1.9's) Jethrobodean 1.9 Scale Rigs 80 02-11-2020 07:03 AM
Harley's Ibex Goat Built Wraith Harley Axial Wraith 57 09-09-2019 02:19 PM
2.2 Ibex build MNorby 2.2 Scale Rigs 17 10-03-2015 07:20 AM
1.9 Ibex budget build Brassbender805 1.9 Scale Rigs 0 06-19-2014 10:58 PM
Sp3cia1-K's Poison Spyder Wraith Rebuild Sp3cia1-K Axial Wraith 26 04-14-2014 07:24 AM