Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Sp3cia1-K's Goat Built Ibex Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2014, 08:11 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Sp3cia1-K's Goat Built Ibex Build

So a little while ago I was on the lookout for a new project to start for basically a spare parts build and a general all round fun rig to go along side my C1 Cherokee and C3 Wraith. Wasn't sure what I wanted, just waiting for something to bring it self forward...

I remembered looking through a certain 1.9 Ibex build ages ago and loved how well it represented the 1:1 when it so happened to pop up in the for sale section.. A little while later a box shows up on my door... Who would have thought?

It was in fact Jethrobodean's Ibex frame that was based on Harley's templates but scaled at 90% to suit the 1.9 wheels and tires. Here is his build up of the rig: Jethro's Ibex build (Harley's Plans Scaled for 1.9's)

Rough parts list:
- Hitec 7954 or Turnigy 30kg ti geared steering servo
- Narrow XR mod scx10 axles with brass tubes up front, stock rear for now (More on that later)
- Fully built trans with either ROC412 3100kv or Turnigy Mach4 13.5t matched up with MMP
- RC4wd 1.9 Raceline Monsters with Treps and CI foams
- Proline Powerstroke shocks for Slash

Good shot of it not too long before it went up for sale taken by the MAN himself, Mr Harley!

I know some people may not like the lines of the Ibex, well I do when they are done right...

On to some inspiration for the build, I want it to reflect the 1:1 so I want to get my hands on some replica looking panels..
I am trying to get into contact with the people at Goat Built to be able to get my hands on some of their panel designs so I can get it re-skinned..

If I don't hear back from them I will just whip up something similar, when I get the time.. But this is the look I want for one set of panels, the other will work it self out later, maybe Tom Wayes, who knows?

Last edited by Sp3cia1-K; 08-24-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Sp3cia1-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2014, 10:08 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Sp3cia1-K's Goat Built Ibex Build

First things first I stripped the chassis back to just the tube work so I can work out where I can place some of the electronics later on. First priority is getting it all up and running and will strip it all back again for painting later.

Some shots of the chassis as it sits..
Old 08-23-2014, 10:23 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

The yota front end just looks so nice... I wish I could make another front clip the same..

As the plan is to have two separate body panel sets that I can switch between, I wanted to sort out the most important body piece, the hood.
So I went searching and found what I believe to be a Dinky RC hood for a Wraith. Cut a bunch of length from the cab end and clearance the front to suit the front cage work..
A bit more fine tuning and will be a perfect fit.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:35 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

NOt a real big fan of 1:1 Ibex's but this 1.9 version looks awesome. I really like the yota grill.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:46 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8cture View Post
NOt a real big fan of 1:1 Ibex's but this 1.9 version looks awesome. I really like the yota grill.
Thanks, yeah the yota grill will be for the main body that I'll use, however that will look.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:11 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Next on the agenda was the axles..
The rig will be running a set of narrow xr mod axles that came off my c1 cherokee a few months ago.

My c1 now runs a set of BeefedRC custom narrowed ar60 axles with beef tubes that run narrow wraith unis both sides so my old axles needed a new home..

For now the rear will be stock with the front running brass tubes.
BeefedRC and I have been discussing a new axle mod specifically for the rear of this rig for some testing when some time comes around for it.
My guess is though that this will eventually run a set of his custom ar60s in either xr or narrow xr.. We shall see.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:48 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Looking good Mr K. Makes me want to do a U4 rig. Stop tempting me

The Trukkracea
trukkracea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:33 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Cool to see this thing from the other end of the web portal. Can't wait to see where you go with it. A brushless system is what it really needed all along.

The hood was really not that bad to make. Was my first & could definitely be improved upon. I've still got the form on the shelf. If you want I can get you some critical dimensions if you want to try to replicate yourself.

EDIT: And you take much better pictures than I do
Jethrobodean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:58 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethrobodean View Post
Cool to see this thing from the other end of the web portal. Can't wait to see where you go with it. A brushless system is what it really needed all along.

The hood was really not that bad to make. Was my first & could definitely be improved upon. I've still got the form on the shelf. If you want I can get you some critical dimensions if you want to try to replicate yourself.

EDIT: And you take much better pictures than I do
Thanks for the kind words. I might look into making another replica at some stage, but there are more important things to do first, like driving it

The photos mostly came down to clearing the whole bench to put the white backdrop sheets down.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:14 AM   #10
20K Club

If you can't get ahold of Drew at Goat Built let me know and I'll try and get you the CAD images from my model so it could be reproduced as close as possible.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:50 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the help Harley
Old 08-28-2014, 06:26 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

When you study architecture at university you sometimes don't get a lot of time to anything but all nighters on assignments.. But after submitting an assignment yesterday morning, to the shed I went!

Managed to get the axles finished off and mounted to the chassis, took a while to sort the links out, I wanted to use the links that came with it but had to use some spare vp ti links for the rear uppers.

Need to do a bit more tweaking for the front links but next thing is to get the wheels and tires sorted out, I'll be running the trepadors for now probably just on some steelies because I'll probably get some new tires soon which will go on the Raceline Monsters. Thinking between RC4wd Compass, Pitbull Growlers, Axial BFGs or Wildpeaks. If anyone has had an experience with them feel free to share

When this gets some new tires, I'm considering doing a little cut and shut on the treps to make them c1 spec, because why not
Old 08-28-2014, 08:01 PM   #13

Looks good so far.
Wieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:39 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Not much of an update but just been doing a bit of design work for the panels, I decided I'll be painting the panels and using printable clear sticker sheets for the actual design work, hope it holds up enough but at least they will be easier to replace than full wraps.

These first panels with goat built designs will be in dark metallic blue, the later panels will be crispy poison spyder theme I'm thinking
Old 09-01-2014, 09:03 AM   #15
Kel

Love the pictures, super clean build!!!
Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:57 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Is that your cad drawing bro?, wish I could use cad

The Trukkracea
trukkracea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:27 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Not my cad drawing no but I was going to do one up if I couldn't get my hands on the files. That is just the basic plan and dimension layouts image that are found on the goat built site, just edited quite a bit in photoshop to get rid of the stuff I don't want and the outlines how I want
Old 09-05-2014, 07:56 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Panel designs have been printed out on some clear a4 sticker sheets I got from officeworks, time will tell how well they will last :p
Old 09-05-2014, 12:12 PM   #19

wow, so incredibly cool !
pelucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:45 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

So after putting the skins on, the panels didn't quite come out as good as I was hoping, partly due to the deep metallic blue but also the clear sections on the sheets gave a funky appearance of air trapped even though there aren't really any air bubbles..
I'll probably just make another set and trim the clear sections out instead of leaving them.

For those interested, I got 10 a4 clear sticker label thingy sheets for $17.
More pictures to come.

Sp3cia1-K's Goat Built Ibex Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jethro's Ibex build (Harley's Plans Scaled for 1.9's) Jethrobodean 1.9 Scale Rigs 80 02-11-2020 07:03 AM
Harley's Ibex Goat Built Wraith Harley Axial Wraith 57 09-09-2019 02:19 PM
2.2 Ibex build MNorby 2.2 Scale Rigs 17 10-03-2015 07:20 AM
1.9 Ibex budget build Brassbender805 1.9 Scale Rigs 0 06-19-2014 10:58 PM
Sp3cia1-K's Poison Spyder Wraith Rebuild Sp3cia1-K Axial Wraith 26 04-14-2014 07:24 AM