Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2014, 11:46 AM   #102
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Bombshell buggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjiz View Post
I should be able to use my xr width tubes in a ar60 axle housing, correct?

Excuse me if they are dumb questions. I always thought Id be running scx10 cases.
The real challenge with narrowed axles is getting the upper truss right so your links can line up and keep the axle centered and true to the frame.

The 1.9 rig I used this season has narrowed wraith axles (remember the one I beat you with regularly). I took 7/8" out of the long side tube and used male WB8 drive shaft parts to create the joint between the pumpkin and the cut tube (glued in place with M3x6 screws helping with retention). I ran a 3 link up front with panhard. For the rear I used a stock plastic wraith upper truss in the rear and just moved the links over one spot (where one is not in double shear), that seemed to be perfect with the 7/8" reduction in width to keep the axle true to the frame.

As far as tubes go, the XR10 width beef tubes are "likely" not a fit for the AR60 axles. I can't be sure though. The two main things that may be out of whack are the length (obviously) and the clearance cuts for the 2 lower link mount bolts on the AR60 axle. Wraith Beef tubes have these cut out for the bolts to pass. It's actually a nice feature as it aligns the beef tubes before you put the kunckles and hubs on and you don't have to worry about it moving.

I plan on picking up a set of beef tubes and using them to do a new set of narrowed AR60 axles for my 1.9 this winter. I'll cut the 7/8" off the long side beef tube and then drill a hole in the pumpkin where I want it to be retained. Then mark and drill/tap a hole in the beef tube. I expect the chub screws to be good enough to keep the tube part of the axle in place without any extra set screws.

As always, running Beef in the rear requires you to shave down the flange on the rear shafts so they fit. The long side shaft has to get cut down anyway so it's immaterial. I tride to use a grip-fab griplok locker to hold the rear shaft as it has nothing keeping it from sliding in toward the spool now, however I could never get the set screws to hold and not loosen up so I just went to an FI spool and let the wheel rub on the lockout all year. Machined a nice clean surface but didn't gawl it really at all.
dna4engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:22 PM   #103
RCC Addict

Quit living in the past.

Figured a dlux truss would give me the best centering option and I only plan on shortening the long sides.

Won't be using a clamp on locker. I'm less than impressed with mine. They're worn out from the little abuse I've put then through and that's with green loctite.

Thinking I'll run a scx10 axle in the back. Calderwood link plate is money and it's already got oversized shafts.

Let me know if when you're gonna narrow another front axle. I'll gladly pay for your time and parts involved.
djjiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:28 PM   #104
Rock Crawler

Best bet is to ask dlux to make you a custom one for the front. The standard one has one link already hanging off the side. Narrowing the axle will just make you have to move both links hanging off the side.

The one gap I have on the narrowed axle is getting a axle mounted servo. Haven't spent a lot of time on it but I'm not sure which path I'd take. Was planning on keeping cms after the rebuild but may go axle mount if I can figure something out.

Definitely will help out on the narrowing process. Just gotta set aside the cash to get some new housings and tubes.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:54 PM   #105
RCC Addict

Hoping to light a fire under calderwood or eriks ass and get a bta mount with a offset upper link mount.

Also kicking around the idea of mounting the motor in the rear of the buggy just like the real one. If that happens I'll be able to cms. Gotta find a way to hide a Tekin t8 2050.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:58 PM   #106
RCC Addict

If I can get dlux to make a transfer case would you buy one?

I know there's a couple on the market but I'm hoping he can add his twist on things. Big bearings, long output, reversible case..
Old 10-30-2014, 06:14 PM   #107
Rock Crawler

It would all depend on price point. The dinky split skid looks cool but after you dump a bunch of extra money to bombproof it, it's way too expensive. Rather run a bombproof trans. Rc4wd don't look like they can handle the power. Would definitely help test it out if he wants to venture that way.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:44 PM   #108
I wanna be Dave

Depends, GCM's t-case is really good.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:46 PM   #109
RCC Addict

Rc3wd isnt a option.
Gcm looks nice but they appear to be hard to find parts in the us.
Dinky looks like a decent option.

Hoping to use Axial gear sets unless I can think of something better. Maybe traxxas has a cheaper selection?

Dlux stuff might seem expensive but in my experience his stuff eventually pays for itself and his support is amazeballs.

I'll keep you posted on testing.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:44 PM   #110
RCC Addict

Talked with Erik and he mentioned something about not being able to make it look real scale. I personally don't care if it doesn't look real as long as it handles 6s and big motors.

Not sure where everyone else is on that but I'll take function over form.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:45 PM   #111
RCC Addict

And for my next magic trick...
Attached Images

Old 10-31-2014, 01:51 PM   #112
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjiz View Post
Talked with Erik and he mentioned something about not being able to make it look real scale. I personally don't care if it doesn't look real as long as it handles 6s and big motors.

Not sure where everyone else is on that but I'll take function over form.
Yea, there's two ends of the spectrum and if you can't accommodate both, you alienate maybe up to 50% of the market. I'm on the function side but I'm sure many many others are on the scale looks side.

BTW that's a big fawking motor man.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:56 PM   #113
RCC Addict

If it handles big power it'll have the market cornered.
Gonna try to find a cad guy to get this project rolling. If that happens it'll be pretty and functional.

And yea. Definitely over compensating.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:58 PM   #114
RCC Addict

Ruh roh shaggy.
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2014, 01:00 AM   #115
RCC Addict

I was over thinking this.

Motor will go up front where a traditional one would sit.
4s battery will go in the back because its lighter than the motor and easier to swap out from there.
RX8 will go on the passenger side of the skid plate. It fits perfectly between the tranny and duuuuuuuuuude links.

It'll be hooked up directly to the top shaft of the wraith tranny.
No slipper

Biggest problem now will be sourcing a 1.5" drive shaft.

Id post pics of where I'm at right now but I thought it would be more helpful if I broke my phone.

Typing on a keyboard like some kind of caveman or some shit.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:13 AM   #116
Rock Crawler

Any progress on mounting that big A$$ motor in this thing?
Old 11-17-2014, 01:08 PM   #117
RCC Addict

Nope. Ill need a shorter can. Still want to run the motor under the hood with a 5mm rotor but there's absolutely no room as is. After Christmas I should be able to order parts again. Until then I just keep moving things around hoping I missed something.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:14 AM   #118
RCC Addict

No major updates.
Got a Pro4 HD 4600kv and a TrackStar 540 4 pole 4850kv on the way.
Motor is still hopefully going under the hood.
Got some blue anodized upper links and blue aluminum and shock caps installed.
It's starting to look a little blingy. Hoping body panels hide all that.
Also hoping to send it to tuner in the next month or two so we can get some more tubes added and hopefully figure out a motor mount.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:30 AM   #119
RCC Addict

Forgot how much joy this truck brings to me.

Dlux shock mounts for the win. Fawk these are nice.

No major updates but I figured out how to mount the motor under the hood and keep it low. It's zip tied in place right meow but its not the final resting spot.

Drive shafts were becoming a issue and I didn't think I would find one short enough.

I realized that I can make a plate off the skid that mounts under the transmission and to the duuuuuuuuuude risers. Motor should be 100% centered. Transmission will move over a hair.
Attached Images

Last edited by djjiz; 12-17-2014 at 06:34 AM.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:12 PM   #120
RCC Addict

We'll see how long the motor lasts like this.
Attached Images

Bombshell buggy - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Poison Spyder Bombshell Diff Cover for Axial Wraith Racer4Life Axial Wraith 15 05-16-2019 12:46 PM
[BUGGY] Arrma Raider 1:10 Scale 2wd buggy at Segar Track SGCrawlers RC Adventures boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 11-13-2013 10:26 AM