Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: bmuzz1's TCS Crawlers Mattzilla U4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2014, 10:45 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default bmuzz1's TCS Crawlers Mattzilla U4

I've had my eye on one of these Mattzilla U4 chassis ever since Harley did his build and knew that I would eventually need to have one of my own for use as a G6 and U4 comp rig.
Luckily for me there was a local ASTR member who had purchased one but then decided to head in another direction with his build so I snatched it up.

My parts list for now consists of the following:

Front axle: OD gears, STRC CVD's, HR Locker, TCS Servo 4 link mount...TCS Crawlers Black Anodized Aluminum Upper Link/Servo Mount for Axial AX-10 Scorpion (1 each) US Patent Pending
Rear axle: HD gears, HR Locker, R2j rear 4 link truss
Tranny: HR HD Tranny w/extended outputs filled with VP gear lube...Hot Racing HT 61T Steel Extended Outdrive Transmission SCX10 SCP38HT03
Drive shafts: Maxx shafts front and rear. part #4951 and #4927
Wheels: 1.9 Methods
Tires/Foams: PitBull Rock Beasts w/C.I. Deuces Wild foams
ESC: SV3 Castle Creations 1/10 Sidewinder 3 Waterproof ESC CSE010-0115-00
Servo: Hitec 7950 Hitec HS-7950TH Mega Torque Titanium Gear Digital Dual Ball Bearing Servo
Winch: KMS 180oz KMS Winches K3 Servo Winch 180 oz K3SW180
Motor: 27t HH Torquemaster Expert ( for now...going brushless) Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster Expert 540 Motor HH-TM-EX
Lights: CDL Lights
Battery: 2200 3s Lipo
Links: Modified TCS SCX10 link kit...TCS Crawlers SCX10 4 Link Kit Aluminum SCX10LK-01
Panels/Skins: .025 custom made aluminum panels wrapped in FreqEsKins TCS Crawlers skins

On to the build pics....

Got the wheelbase figured out. It is sitting right at 13".

The previous owner had thought about running CMS and had a plate welded to the chassis. I had cut most of it off in this pic but as you can see it was still interfering with the links so I ended up cutting another inch out after this.

Figuring out where to place the winch was another issue but I figured it out pretty quickly. I utilized the existing cross brace and brazed in a couple Carter Fab tabs to mount the winch and then added another brace and tab to mount a rod end line guide to.

Plenty of room...

Since the winch is now where the battery was meant to go I had to come up with a new location. Taking some inspiration from Harleys MZU4 I made a plate to hold the battery.

For the electronics storage I used the usual Radio Shack project box. I fabbed up a quick mounting tab by brazing two 3mm screws to a piece of sheet steel that would be placed through the inside of the box and then attached to the MZ chassis tab with 3mm nylock nuts.

Just clears the rear uppers at full compression...
bmuzz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2014, 11:16 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: bmuzz1's TCS Crawlers Mattzilla U4

Body and Skin Installation... 1 day before the Camp-n-Crawl event in Pine, AZ. I was sweating bullets!

As mentioned above I used .025 Aluminum panels to make my skins. The aluminum is really easy to work with and form to the contours of the chassis. It is also more durable then lexan.
I first covered the chassis in blue tape to get the overall shape I was after and to mark the mounting holes. Once I was done there I transferred the tape to my panels and cut it out with tin snips and the sanded the edges clean with my Dremil.

Once the panels were done I had to rush to get the interior trimmed up and painted. It didn't turn out how I would have liked it but it's in there.

My skins came in a little later then expected but TCS Crawlers hand delivered them to me up in Pine Friday night as we were setting up camp so that I could have them for the next days event. Neal knocked one out of the park with the layout and design of TCS Crawlers Team graphics with some input from Kevin I am sure.

Pic taken just after I finished installing them...

And some pics in the day light Saturday morning before I had a chance to scratch them up.

And a couple out on the G6 course...

The car is far from done but I was pleased with how well it worked for me at the event.
The changes that will need to take place before the next event are:
Brushless power
Taller tires (already ordered a set of RC4WD Compass 1.9's and C.I. Dueces Wild SX XL foams
Better light set up and more of them.
New interior

Thanks to TCS Crawlers for all your support on this build.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:22 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Very nice build. Like the placement of the winch.
Ballistic17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:45 AM   #4
PapaGriz Yo

Great looking rig. Can't wait to se what else is in store.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:54 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Nice looking U4 brother!
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:14 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Thanks guys!

There will be plenty to come in the way of power and lighting, but I'm sure I will think of something else since I can't ever leave anything alone.
Old 10-26-2014, 03:20 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Time to show the MZU4 a little love.

I haven't touched this rig since the Camp-n-Crawl in early Sept other then to pull a few parts from it for my C2 f100.

I purchased a new servo off ebay to try out. It says it's 400+ oz which I doubt but it has titanium gears and is digital coreless so it may not be too bad, we'll see.

Anyone try one of these yet?

I also stole the Methods for my f100 so new wheels were needed. I decided to go with the RC4WD Raceline 1.9's wrapped in my old Trapadors for now. RC4WD Raceline Monster 1.9 Beadlock Wheels Z-W0140
I've always loved the look of these wheels but was concerned about them holding a bead to anything other then RC4WD tires so I had been putting it off. The Racelines were super easy to mount up since they only use the 6 inner beadlock screws for mounting and the bead is super tight.
I did order a set of the new 475 hubs from RC4WD to get the width here I want it, just waiting for them to arrive.

Next on the list for this baby is a HH Trailmaster BL and Mamba Max Pro.
I also still need to figure out my light set-up.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:04 PM   #8
KMS
Rock Crawler

I like your choice for a winch hook ,,Great idea ,,Nice rig by the way,, looks good
KMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:47 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Nice build as always Brian.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote

bmuzz1's TCS Crawlers Mattzilla U4 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TCS Crawlers Giveaway - New MAD DOG RC items at TCS Crawlers!!!! kevinlongisland 1.9 Scale Rigs 27 07-16-2013 09:03 AM
Winner - TCS Crawlers Giveaway - TCS L-Trail Chassis Kit EeePee Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 46 08-16-2012 02:46 PM
bmuzz1's Re-build #3 using Fubar Crawlers "New" Chassis bmuzz1 EnRoute Berg 97 09-27-2010 04:47 PM
Giveaway from your 2006-07-08 National Champions - TCS Crawlers - 3 TCS Berg Chassis kevinlongisland EnRoute Berg 153 01-14-2009 11:03 AM