Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: outrunner in a high lift?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2006, 09:20 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default outrunner in a high lift?

has anyone tried an outrunner in a high lift yet? i have a high lift in the box im gonna build soon and a novak crawler i bought for a crawler but then got bumped to the high lift for the wide range. i was thinking though with the 3 speeds how an outrunner would work. plenty of low end and with a big pinion maybe enough top end to keep it fun on road, scale'ly speaking of course. was thinking the holmes hyperion Z3013 would be the ticket.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2006, 09:23 PM   #2
Official Scale Nazi

Here's mine. It's slow but I'm fine with that. http://youtube.com/watch?v=DTnONlP_3pw
pigeonfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 09:51 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

so what size pinion are you running and how's your top end? in one part it looked like it has a little zip going up the incline. i wont be using mine for crawling. maybe some trail running, pulling a trailer, other kinda utility stuff. id rather save the crawler for somthing with a single speed trans.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:30 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonfarmboy
Here's mine. It's slow but I'm fine with that. http://youtube.com/watch?v=DTnONlP_3pw

lol ur throwing stuff at it lol i like how ur body looks, all torn up and it looks flat black (i think) its cool

Last edited by Jo Mama; 11-24-2006 at 10:34 PM.
Jo Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 10:36 PM   #5
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

If you want to do some pulling, trail blazing, etc an outrunner could still work and be peppy. Use a really huge pinion, and save your first gear for the crawling and pulling. The trick will be getting an outrunner with enough zest to handle the large loads without being too much on the drivetrain. I think you already have that motor picked out ;)

PFB, cool vid! Use mamba controllers with those outrunners? I love the hard crashing sound of the body on the rocks
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 11:21 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

sweet, sounds like it might be even more scale, instead of having the wide range with the motor in each gear, you'd need each gear to get the wide range of speeds. you think the Z3013 will handle it? hopefully rc4wd comes out with more tooth options for the 5mm pinions soon.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:48 AM   #7
Official Scale Nazi

The gearing I'm using is the stock High-Lift pinion. (can't remember the tooth count) Top speed in 3rd is a brisk walking speed.

Yeah it's the Mamba John. Scraping the body on rocks is one of the most satisfying sounds ever.
pigeonfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote