Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: The Plastic Fantastic Comanche

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2014, 10:55 PM   #1
MWRCA'er

Default The Plastic Fantastic Comanche

I've always been intrigued by the trucks that Cole82 used to come up that were based around a cutting board chassis.

Being short on cash and tired of aluminum and steel I though I'd try something new. So I ordered a 3/8x12x24 Cutting board for $10 on ebay. Its basically a HDPE (High-density polyethylene) plastic same stuff milk jugs and trash bags are made from. Its a rather soft but sturdy plastic. Delrin is far superior in all ways but a sheet of HDPE is literally 1/6th the cost of a comparable Delrin sheet.

With that said I jigged up a set of SCX-10 Axial axles with 12.25" wheelbase and used a soda can box and Sharpie to get a rough shape for the chassis plates.

I then cut the template out and traced it to the sheet of HDPE. I cut the plates with my bandsaw it was a bit of a mess. HDPE has pretty poor machining qualities. It cuts like mushy wood. But, with enough sanding and deburing it's not terrible. I cut the two plates, then screwed them together and sanded them as a single piece to get two matching plates. Fitted some 1/2 Delrin rod as chassis spacers and presto a chassis.

I fitted some TLT brackets for the lower link mounts. I noticed most long arm kits for 1:1 Comanches have a similar welded on bracket design. So I wanted to duplicate the sort of weld on long arm look.

I'm using the Proline Comanche body, the chassis was made to fit this body. I made the frame rails full length for the possibility of custom bumpers later.

I'm planning to use a set on Falken Wildpeak 1.9's being super tall they may be a bit of a stuff. The truck will ride higher once off the jig. I'll likely trim the exaggerated fenders flairs off.

Sorta like the Zone fabrication 1:1 rig kinda using it as a basis for design. I'll paint the body a more normal color though.

I was kinda debating if I should make a press brake to bend up a lower skid. I thought well I'll try to bend in by hand first in my vice, nailed it. Sometimes I surprise myself lol

That's all for now links and trans install next.

Last edited by Mnster; 11-28-2014 at 02:36 AM.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2014, 11:58 PM   #2
MWRCA'er

Default Re: The Plastic Fantastic Comanche

Got the rear links on. Went for a bent link setup in the rear. I should of used Delrin rod to continue with the plastic theme. However, I didn't want to use 5/16 do to scale realism and wasn't sure 1/4 would be up to the task. So I went with 1/4 aluminum rod machined with M4 inserts and Revo ends. I'll take everything shiny and hit it with black paint later.

At a mild stopping point. I was planning to make a 3 link with panhard rod setup for the front hence the odd shape of one of my chassis plates. However, It started to hurt my brain attempting to figure out how to cram about 5 links in such a small area and not have them converge, contact or bind during any cycle of the axle. Maybe I'm a wuss but I'm thinking a 4 link might just work better anyways. So I ordered a 4 link mount for the front I could of made my own but saved myself the headache and spent the $12 on ebay for the perfect part. I still plan to shave the servo nubs off the front axle and chassis mount the servo sort of hoping I don't require a panhard rod to do so but I imagine the front end being tight enough.

Assembled the trans and got it ready. Tossed a RR steel idler in because I had one laying around. Its the honcho version with the HD outputs and slipper clutch. blah blah blah same trans everyone runs. Running a cheap outrunner I love that they are cheap, have healthy torque, last forever, and never foul in muddy water. I fitted 2.5 maxx shafts because I've never had one fail ever, they are cheap and look realistic. The down side is I needed to buy a smaller spur to clear the shafts.

I've got a set of Integy shocks coming at the end of the month, 92mm units little more slender as well should help with clearance. I guess I could mount the trans but I think I'll wait for my link mount to come so I don't have to disassemble reassemble the chassis twice over.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:11 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Location: in a tree home atop a redwood tree on the corner of yonder and timbuktoo

Cool! Cant wait to see how it turns out!
lil' bear 4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:20 AM   #4
MWRCA'er

The 4 link mount came in the mail and after mounting it up I just wasn't happy with it. It was much to tall I was hoping for a more slim scale hidden look. It would place the upper links far to high to look right in relation to the back axle. It was likely designed with a 2.2 tire height in mind it was also very basic used nut hardware rather then tapped holes.

After I decided it wasn't going to work I traced it to a thicker scrap chunk of aluminum with some modified cuts.

After a bit of cutting with the bandsaw and turning some cranks on my machines I wound up with this.

Quite a bit lower profile.

Ah much better.

Last edited by Mnster; 12-10-2014 at 03:24 AM.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:03 PM   #5
Sinking with the ship

Glad to see you building again, wheres Jim ?
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 04:09 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
Glad to see you building again, wheres Jim ?
X2. I took a break for over a year and I missed my scale rc
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:52 AM   #7
MWRCA'er

Haha! Glad to see I'm remembered for something. Yeah I took a 4 year break life just got to busy. I never put down the controller just didn't pick it up like I used to, didn't go to events anymore. All of a sudden one day I reflected on my past and some of lifes best moments and all at once decided I'm back in the scene. Still have Jim and his truck is sitting on my shelf almost untouched. With the invention of this 1.5 stuff it does have me thinking of some updates I would like to make. The parts availability has changed rapidly. What was great 5-6 years ago well now looks pretty rough lol. For example at the time HPI stock car wheels and TDI tires were the only scale wheels and tires, now you can debate your options all day. But, in some ways I like it just as it sits a treasured piece of aged history. The tires worn down to stubble from driving around at Moab Nationals, the design so simple, the character so fun. I may update it again, I may not for a while. For now just rebuilding my rc experience with rigs like this one.

Got it into a sort of roller today.

Last edited by Mnster; 12-11-2014 at 06:56 AM.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:52 PM   #8
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnster View Post
Haha! Glad to see I'm remembered for something. Yeah I took a 4 year break life just got to busy. I never put down the controller just didn't pick it up like I used to, didn't go to events anymore. All of a sudden one day I reflected on my past and some of lifes best moments and all at once decided I'm back in the scene. Still have Jim and his truck is sitting on my shelf almost untouched. With the invention of this 1.5 stuff it does have me thinking of some updates I would like to make. The parts availability has changed rapidly. What was great 5-6 years ago well now looks pretty rough lol. For example at the time HPI stock car wheels and TDI tires were the only scale wheels and tires, now you can debate your options all day. But, in some ways I like it just as it sits a treasured piece of aged history. The tires worn down to stubble from driving around at Moab Nationals, the design so simple, the character so fun. I may update it again, I may not for a while. For now just rebuilding my rc experience with rigs like this one.
Hell yeah dude scale has come a long way since the days of tlt axles, stock car wheels, and trail docs... If you had time and patience and didn't worry about them sucking you cut down 2.2 Imex bajas

Moab 07 was a great time, I remember it like it was yesterday...I talk about that trip all the time...

Manche looks good, like the way you trimmed the flares
Old 12-14-2014, 01:28 AM   #9
MWRCA'er

Oh yes I remember that well. My brother and I reflect on the year too as one of the best times at Nats. Still remember that infamous Mountaineer seen it so many places online I was beside myself to see it in real life, like playing a game of basketball and Michael Jordan walks up and is like hey can I play? lol

My shocks finally came all the way from China. I don't know the brand but they look exactly like the Integy shocks that are on backorder everywhere. They are quite a bit slimmer which should boost the realism a bit.

Got the front shaft in and most of the stuff permanently mounted up.

Finished the steering system as well I may install a spacer on the servo horn to help flatten the angle a bit.

I also hit the Servo chip with some Silicone Conformal which should make it way more water resistant.

Last edited by Mnster; 12-14-2014 at 01:30 AM.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:20 AM   #10
MWRCA'er

Well I got the body posts on, electronics in and its a runner.

I basically made aluminum shelves to hold the electronics and battery. Battery will be mounted at the back its ok though as it still has a front weight bias with the servo, esc and receiver being up front.

I located a driver for the cab.

Had to chop him up though to make him fit.

Using the Proline interior.

Next step is paint.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:42 PM   #11
Sinking with the ship

Man Jim is a crazy dude...wouldn't wanna mess with that guy...dude be chopping other dudes in half
Old 01-04-2015, 11:49 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Jim's back! I took a break from scale stuff for the last 8 or so years and am just getting back into it myself.
bryantjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:01 PM   #13
MWRCA'er

Finally added the color to this build was a little more anodized looking then I would of liked but it's very unique and I'm liking it a lot more as time progresses.

Added a pair of Ram headlamps because all the cool kids are doing it. I wired it to the receiver on 5v, never been a fan of super bright raging headlights on RC builds hurts my eyes while driving. Glad I added them takes the realism of the Proline shell up a few notches.

Painted the interior gray with white seats just like the real truck. Kinda glad I redid it in more defining colors I started with a basic glossy black and decided it looked featureless.

Painted phony gauges on the dash with a brush. Was kinda drunk at the time but came out looking pretty nice for a quick dab with a thick brush and hobby knife.

Not sure where to take it from here. Kinda like it as it sits but part of me looks at it like a blank canvas.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:39 PM   #14
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Slick ride, I like how clean it looks with the body off. Good to see you back around. I saw cole82 posting a while back too. I still have a gopher chassis from him. I've been eyeballing all my old rigs lately and reminiscing about the days when tlts and tvps were all the rage. Simple times eh?
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 03:36 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Ingenious build, very well done and looks awesome!
joe122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:39 PM   #16
MWRCA'er

What have I done!

It's a work in progress.

Last edited by Mnster; 03-30-2015 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:23 AM   #17
MWRCA'er

Been a long time since I've messed with brazing brake line.

It's rough but the more I work it the better it will get.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:32 AM   #18
Sinking with the ship

Missed the last few updates some how. I like the color choice. Head lights look good as does interior. Front bumper is coming a long nicely as well. Plans for a rear bumper ?
Old 04-01-2015, 04:59 AM   #19
MWRCA'er

Thanks! yeah I'm thinking about it, the body is hard to fit a tube bumper to in the back. Once the factory bumper is removed you're left with a hole to fill especially from the sides. I do think it needs something though I've thought about making a receiver hitch under the bumper to offer a bit of protection and give it a scale boost. I guess machining a aluminum bumper is always a option to.

I did take it for a drive outside forgot to put the photo up. A friend and I always do builds together we completed them at the same time and went for a drive.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:39 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Great build. Where'd you get the headlight buckets? I'm doing a Cherokee right now and I need some headlights.

Tappa who?
pixelnate is offline   Reply With Quote

The Plastic Fantastic Comanche - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Comanche losikid 1:1 Full Size Vehicles 116 10-09-2016 03:52 PM
Vaterra.... Comanche dentguy55 Vaterra Ascender 19 07-13-2015 10:47 AM
The Comanche jeep94xj 2.2 Scale Rigs 23 04-07-2011 08:05 PM
Need to know the best plastic on plastic friction reducer. TurboB18C Chit Chat 2 04-06-2005 04:28 PM