jaxon.dial is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2014, 01:07 PM   #42
Rock Crawler

Default Re: The northkona Erik Miller 4421 Ultra4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxon.dial View Post
Im neighbors with the millers(: i should show them this
Thanks , I've been in touch with them on FB and sent them the link , some close up photos of the rig would be great tho !
northkona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 04:08 AM   #43
Rock Crawler

I'm still making different mock-up panels , not really happy with them yet so I'll keep cutting. The roof panel is .5mm titanium and fits fine , I'll be keeping that on !

[IMG][/IMG]

I am trying not to use velcro straps as battery tie-downs so I made a couple of small hooks out of titanium wire to use as mounts. With a couple of small bits of occy strap , they work well.

[IMG][/IMG]

Just a couple of pics of my trailing arms I made from stainless steel sheet, all laser welded and big offset due to the short length.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by northkona; 01-09-2015 at 01:09 AM.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:26 AM   #44
Rock Crawler

I got a few bits from RPP today , good to see they are getting into the festive spirit .
These are the SSD 1.9 steel wheels that I saw on Northerner Bills build and thought I'd give them a shot. They are a stamped steel wheel like the RC4WD wagon wheels but they have a fake beadlock ring , complete with scale hardware. They look a bit like the Methods on the 1:1 so they'll do for this build. (the price was hard to pass on !)

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Next was the SSD AR60 knuckles, the machining on them is top quality but there is a lot more meat on them compared to the VP scale ones . The bearing recesses were a super tight fit, really nice. I am running them with the VP scale chubs and they restrict the turn angle by about 5 degrees compared to the V1 VP knuckles which I dont think is a bad thing . It will save the uni joints by not letting them get too much of a working angle. Its always an easy fix to dremel a bit of meat off tho.
A minus compared to the VP scale knuckles is that they are only a single shear , less mounting options and the height of the tab is slightly lower than the V1 VP's.

[IMG][/IMG]

VP full lock.

[IMG][/IMG]

SSD full lock.

[IMG][/IMG]

VP

[IMG][/IMG]

SSD

[IMG][/IMG]

Not a great deal of difference in the height of the tab but a bit higher would be better.

Last edited by northkona; 12-16-2014 at 03:28 AM.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:21 PM   #45
Rock Crawler

I made some panels up from .5mm alloy sheet, the clip will be made from jet cut stainless , I had to put something in there to fill the gap.

[IMG][/IMG]

Titanium tailgate with a bit of corner protection welded on

[IMG][/IMG]

I managed to finish the other mirror, a matching pair.

[IMG][/IMG]

Laser welded some more .5mm titanium sheet onto the roof for the Exo KOH light bar. HeyOK KOH flashing lights will be going in.

[IMG][/IMG]

KMS winch mounted and wired up, I use aux2 on my Spektrum rx and MT on the A button that I can reach easily with my thumb on my DX4S .

[IMG][/IMG]

One more panel to make for battery access . It'll be secured with some rare earth magnets.

[IMG][/IMG]

Scale size next to my 2.2 Shannon Campbell rig.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I'm pretty happy with the progress so far, the only thing I might have changed was make the rear a bit wider to take a 1.9 spare. At the start of the build I decided to copy the rear Erik ran at the Nationals with no spare, I really like that look and less weight up high.

Last edited by northkona; 12-30-2014 at 01:29 AM.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:47 PM   #46

Has anybody tried to make a Bill Baird buggy?
bshaw95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:34 PM   #47
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshaw95 View Post
Has anybody tried to make a Bill Baird buggy?
I havent seen one but some fresh skins on my Campbell rig and I could make it a Levi Shirley !
Old 12-30-2014, 10:51 AM   #48
Rock Stacker

I love your work
* your "Shannon Campbell Ultra4" is beautiful
and this one is going to be as

here is my jason scherer ultra ifs
my "jason scherer ultra4"
Excuse my English I am France
hilux 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 12:48 PM   #49
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilux 32 View Post
I love your work
* your "Shannon Campbell Ultra4" is beautiful
and this one is going to be as

here is my jason scherer ultra ifs
my "jason scherer ultra4"
Excuse my English I am France
Thanks, that build of yours is looking awesome, I like how you have kept the front nice and narrow. Keep up the good work.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:22 AM   #50
Rock Crawler

No major updates on this rig but after watching Erik tear up the course today I just had to do a bit . The HPI trophy drivers are trimmed up and ready to be painted ( damn no PS black paint !) , I have ordered some Compass tires to give a try as well . I think they look a bit closer to the Nitto's , and another mock-up clip put on there . Still unsure what material or method Im gonna use to make the clip , laser cut or water jet would be best but people in town here want a fortune to do it .I might hand cut and laser weld it out of stainless.

And the skins ....... no luck from the Miller guys yet , I've been in touch with them and the graphics files were going to be sent from Heavy Metal but sadly , no sign.
If anyone can help out with the file that they may have for the graphics , I would be extremely grateful. I'm feeling a bit bummed not being able to finish this rig off with the replica skins and get this looking sexy.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-07-2015, 06:05 AM   #51
I wanna be Dave

I haven't ventured the 2.2 section in a good while. I'm going to frequent after scrolling through your build. Very talented builder you are young man:mrgreen
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:13 AM   #52
RCC Addict

Eric tore it up yesterday at the hammers. Glad this thread got bumped ( by you!)

Looks awesome. Great scale.
tedo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 04:39 PM   #53
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaclip View Post
I haven't ventured the 2.2 section in a good while. I'm going to frequent after scrolling through your build. Very talented builder you are young man:mrgreen
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedo View Post
Eric tore it up yesterday at the hammers. Glad this thread got bumped ( by you!)

Looks awesome. Great scale.
Thanks guys, a lot of the trails I walk around here are more 2.2 friendly so I can get along at a good pace , if I want a slow walk I run my SCX on 1.7's.

Man I feel gutted for Erik and his crew, the look on his face at the presentation says it all. To swap out his steering pump at the remote pit on the run home (15mins) and needing to beat Randy by 11mins must be a damn hard pill to swallow. That run home was a sight to see , absolutely balls out , hammer down , all or nothing ! Wicked driving skills in an awesome rig.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:51 PM   #54
KMS
Rock Crawler

If you haven't run the winch yet. Cut the hook off for setting up 3rd radio ,,I had some motor failures and its been try-n to get the 3rd channel on the radio set to zero,, When first fire-n it up,, winds line in until stop then smokes the motor ,,,,Thank you Robert ,,,
KMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:26 PM   #55
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMS View Post
If you haven't run the winch yet. Cut the hook off for setting up 3rd radio ,,I had some motor failures and its been try-n to get the 3rd channel on the radio set to zero,, When first fire-n it up,, winds line in until stop then smokes the motor ,,,,Thank you Robert ,,,
Thanks for the heads-up but I've tested the winch and it's all good. I'm using a DX4s and have the winch signal on aux 2 using momentary (M) on the TX. Works a treat !
Old 02-08-2015, 02:26 PM   #56
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by northkona View Post
Thanks guys, a lot of the trails I walk around here are more 2.2 friendly so I can get along at a good pace , if I want a slow walk I run my SCX on 1.7's.

Man I feel gutted for Erik and his crew, the look on his face at the presentation says it all. To swap out his steering pump at the remote pit on the run home (15mins) and needing to beat Randy by 11mins must be a damn hard pill to swallow. That run home was a sight to see , absolutely balls out , hammer down , all or nothing ! Wicked driving skills in an awesome rig.
Ya absolute bummer for him and his crew. I'm on the lasernut crew, we finished 7th and 15th but Ya that last 14 miles was insane, they drove the hell out of those cars!
maluch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:09 AM   #57
Rock Crawler

I managed to get the interior painted and installed , it's a nice fit. Still a bit of trimming and shaping of the panels to do , I'm unsure about running the roof down the A pillar like the 1:1 is now or keeping it like this. I'm leaning towards this way for now.
A friend of mine is helping me out with the skins, I have the file now and its all go ! ( thanks to Erik and Will )

[IMG][/IMG]

The Growlers are a great looking tyre and the size is perfect but I wanted to find something that looked more like the Nitto's . I bought a set of the RC4WD Compass , they are super soft and the tread is closer to the Nitto but just a touch wider would be perfect.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-02-2015, 03:05 AM   #58
Rock Crawler

Yeah Baby !!!!
Erik got some new clothes !

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-04-2015, 02:36 PM   #59
Rock Crawler

I feel like this belongs here.

Edit: doesnt look like the .gif is working. Here is a link to the Pirate thread with the .gif version.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...a4-car-32.html

Wes
Attached Images

WesTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 02:44 PM   #60
I wanna be Dave

got it for ya wes.

Last edited by fr8cture; 03-08-2015 at 10:28 PM.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote

The northkona Erik Miller 4421 Ultra4 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
the northkona Shannon Campbell Ultra4 northkona 2.2 Scale Rigs 128 10-31-2017 05:05 AM
The Northkona over/under build northkona RC4WD Trail Finder 2 10 04-24-2013 07:14 AM
Northkona with lights northkona Vaterra Twin Hammers 2 03-17-2013 07:28 PM
Northkona Twammer northkona Vaterra Twin Hammers 8 02-15-2013 12:00 AM