Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: First build: Unimog U1300l Camper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2015, 05:57 PM   #1

Default First build: Unimog U1300l Camper

Hi All,
I have been reading on this forum and gawking for a long time now. Lots of awesome builds here. The Gelande D90 & D110 are still on my dream build list but I have started on my first one. I was able to pick up an Axial SCX10 RTR Jeep Wrangler Unlimited on Amazon at no charge so I finally got started with my first off road RC.

Pic of the original.

But after seeing the awesome builds here the little scale accessories addtions werent cutting it for me so I stared to look for something cool and found this on eBay. I think I've seen 1 other build of a similar one here that's in progress.

Pulled the trigger not really knowing what I'm getting into beyond reading on here and youtube'ing videos of how to build and assemble models.

All of the stuff came in today and I was able to start with some of the basics. This is going to be a slow build on two accounts,
1) I'm a n00b (also will be asking lots of dumb questions so please be patient and all help will be appreciated)
2) The next few months are very busy for me between work, family stuff and the shortly upcoming start of "track" season in the south.

Enough of the chatter, on to the pix.

My original Jeep. As you can see I added a few accessories

The Mercedes-Benz Unimog U1300l Camper
Started by placing the various parts onto the chassis to see how things would look. Used little blocks of wood I have laying around from various other projects to let the body sit on the chassis as close to production state as it would. Used painters tape to stand up the walls of the camper.

Cut up some styrene and fabbed up some mounting points for the back of the cab and front of the to-be camper's bed. The body and bed are not actually mounted yet. They are stuck onto the mounting points with some painters tape. (obligatory flex shot)

Outside trying it out on my little re-configurable test track with more flex

Pardon the potato quality of the pics. I took them with my phone and the lighting in my basement isnt the best.

On to the questions if you folks dont mind helping.
  • How do you recommend I mount the body onto the mounting points I've built on the frame so its easy to remove and re-attach for access to the battery?
  • Do you have any tutorials or insturctionals you can point me at for interior building? This thing didnt come with any interior bits which includes the camper.
  • The camper box once built cant be opened. Any suggestions on how to build doors on it? Where to get hinges etc?

I also dont have a theme for this build so if you have suggestions please throw them out.

Thanks for looking. Hopefully I'll have a few more updates this weekend.
b8point6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2015, 07:25 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: First build: Unimog U1300l Camper

I like that a lot. Different, huge, scale, and looks capable. Good luck!
MountainStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:30 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

A) how did you get a crawler from Amazon "at no charge?"

B) who makes that Unimog? looks too big to be Bruder.
Derek Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Larsen View Post
A) how did you get a crawler from Amazon "at no charge?"
At work we get points like credit card points as rewards from co-workers for doing good work or helpint out etc that you really cant cash in anywhere useful. I had over the last few years accumulated a ton and they had just opened up the option to use them to get amazon gift cards. I ended up with enough to get my the SCX10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Larsen View Post
B) who makes that Unimog? looks too big to be Bruder.
The body is built by some guy in China. If you look for SCX10 Unimog on ebay you'll see both version, the camper and the flat bed truck version. Quality is pretty good on all the parts.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:43 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Default First build: Unimog U1300l Camper

Interior. Look at other builds, especially by pardonmynoob and imthatguy. Tons of info in their threads. styrene will be your best friend. Maybe even do some measuring and see if you can use a seat meant for something else in your cab.

For mounting, Velcro or magnets are both great options.

Craft stores usually have little hinges that work. Or again you can make your own. You could also set it up so the top of the camper is just held on with magnets or Velcro so you can pop it off if needed.
street.terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 01:26 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Nice to see another Mog.

The quality of the kit is really quite good with plenty of detail.

I really should get back onto mine and get it finished LOL.

Cheers
H2Micr0
H2Micr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 04:47 PM   #7

Thanks guys. Went and picked up some velcro and mounted the body onto the mounts I had built. Took it for a quick test run in my backyard and made a couple of videos. Links below.

I think I'm going to make a truck bed for the back for now to mount over the stock bed plate just to get this thing running. I also prefer to have the battery in the front so I'm going to have to figure out how to do that and build the interior around it. I really do want to keep the battery weight in the front so that I can use the rear for scale things.

Here's the video's. This is a lot of fun to do, too bady I dont have a lot of time to work on it

Playing around in the grass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWdnFbjMxuc

Trying to go over some rocks. The balance is a bit off cuz of the battery location. Also the front bumper on the unimog kind of messes with the approach angle so I'll need to find a way to remedy that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNqsYUGyF8k

The tires clear the wheel arches and fenders both while crawling and flexing and while turning.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:17 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

for keeping the battery up front, just build a bench seat, that gives you place to put it (if the doors open) or a space to have it under the cab.
street.terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by street.terror View Post
for keeping the battery up front, just build a bench seat, that gives you place to put it (if the doors open) or a space to have it under the cab.
I moved the battery back up front and used some card stock like paper to see what the interior would look like and I'll have a hump in the middle between the two seats. I can probably use that space to fab up some switches/shifter etc. May not be 100% stock looking compared to a real unimog but I think it'll work.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:51 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

That box (gas tank?) just behind the exhaust looks like a good spot for a battery. Or maybe one of those hatches on thw side of the camper shell.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:56 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

1/10 Mercedes-Benz Unimog Scale Truck Plastic Body Shell ** UNPAINTED ** NIB

That is real truck money right there.

First build: Unimog U1300l Camper - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The DSPro Unimog U1300L Class 2, Milex Cab announcement! rbgerrish 1.9 Scale Rigs 99 03-20-2023 09:06 PM
H2Micr0's Unimog U1300L H2Micr0 1.9 Scale Rigs 29 05-15-2017 12:47 AM
Slide-in Camper Build 1rcmonster Scale Accessories 30 12-03-2012 02:13 PM
I wanna build a camper! Duuuuuuuude General Scale Talk 43 01-10-2012 05:53 PM