Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Sp3cia1K's GCM Skeleton J2 on Narrow AR60s- A dual purpose build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2015, 02:33 AM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Sp3cia1K's GCM Skeleton J2 on Narrow AR60s- A dual purpose build

So I ordered my new wheels on Feb 6 from Asiatees with 5-7 express postage to Australia, turned out to be 19 days instead....

At least they finally arrived....

Well sort of..

The package arrived in this condition, open and all.. Its a miracle nothing was lost in transit.

Here are some of the goodies: '1.9 Boom Racing High Mass Star 6C', scale folding winch anchor, alloy ar60 link mounts, scale seat belts and some 300K diff fluid to give an open diff a go at some point.

Alcohol and chocolate helps with wheel building..

Got the hard top off too as I'm in the process of building a simple roll cage, hopefully it all goes well.

I was going to post this update last night in bed from my phone but as I was typing the low battery warning popped up, put the phone face down on the bed, rolled over to grab the charge cord and POP!
Somehow as I rolled, the housing must have flex/split at the charge port and smashed the screen.. Both front glass and LCD display cracked! I got glass dust through my sheets too..

That really just topped my week off too!
My computer has been in bits swapping components in and out since Sunday trouble shooting some boot and display issues.. I think I have eliminated it to my graphics card or my nice 1440p QuadHD monitor.. :( Going by how this week has gone, it will probably be both, and a CPU!

Much expense!
Sp3cia1-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2015, 11:53 AM   #42
I joined the Band!

Those wheels are killer look really scale.
bayareaaxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:17 AM   #43
Quarry Creeper

So Saturday the local guys here that I often trail and mess around with we had our first social comp.
It was mostly setup and organised by one guy and got a bunch of items as prizes on the day from RJ at The Toyz.

There were two classes, 1.9 and 2.2/caged rigs. I ended up running my 1.9 u4 Ibex rig in the 2.2 class for fun and actually did really well in both classes.

Due to having this comp having scale points include accessories as well I decided it was time to build a simple roll cage to show them off rather than hiding under a roof. The night before seemed like the perfect time to bend, braze, paint and mount it as well.

The CrawlANZ comps I usually attend don't include the little items as points so I haven't had the incentive to add too many.

This is how it stood Saturday morning prior to heading out.

Old 03-02-2015, 04:27 AM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayareaaxial View Post
Those wheels are killer look really scale.
I love the look of them too, they weigh so much more than I thought they would though!

Each wheel is 190g each!!! My previous wheel set up, RC4wd 1.55 Voids with CI foams and Growlers weighted 132g mounted! A Huge weight difference.
I usually wouldn't want to run that much rotating mass but considering it is only a C1 rig it isn't too bad..

It balanced the truck up so much though, combined with removing the hard top. Everything is so much more stable, both on climbs and side hilling.
I figured I would just have to put up with the rig being top heavy as sacrifice for the hard body detail, but is now performing better than I expected it too.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:31 AM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Just some of my favourite shots from the day

Took a nasty tumble down the hill, saving it just in time before a big drop off..

Hold on Sam!!

This is going to hurt..

I got you Sam, you're alright.

A little later on that course, one of the screws in the cantilever rocker came out allowing the axle to swing too far followed by my Junfac driveshaft exploding..

At least I got mad flex then....

Despite the catastrophic failure of the shocks and driveshaft I managed to pick up the overall win for 1.9 and two or tree course wins, three of the four courses I completed I think were perfect runs with no penalties and also very quick completion times

Ironically I rolled my 1.9 Ibex rig in the exact same spot in the '2.2 class' and managed another spectacular save, this time a pinky grabber!

Old 03-02-2015, 07:01 AM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russianstyle View Post
Very nice build
Thanks, I'm really happy with where it is going too.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:07 PM   #47
Quarry Creeper

I forgot about the outing the other day with another recently finished jk.
Good to see two fresh but different takes on the same body and chassis.

Yesterday I picked up the prizes from the weekend as I had to leave before everything was finished.

I managed to score a scale banner from the toyz, 3d printed esky with a bag of ice, d rings and shackles, light bar and a $10 voucher for OneTenCrawlers for most damage.

Ill be putting the voucher towards a new Proline 1956 F100. The wheelbase should be close enough to my current setup, if not the jk wheelbase will get a slight adjustment to suit.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:09 AM   #48
Rock Crawler

Looking real nice, congrats on the results. Just wish there were a few more people spending waaay too much money on toy trucks in my neck of the woods.
How did the Growlers perform ?
northkona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 03:18 AM   #49
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by northkona View Post
Looking real nice, congrats on the results. Just wish there were a few more people spending waaay too much money on toy trucks in my neck of the woods.
How did the Growlers perform ?
Thanks, I really like them. I didn't like the 1.9s on my other rig though for some reason but the 1.55s hit the mark for me, on both 1.55 and stretched onto 1.9s.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:03 PM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Part 2 of this build is underway with the Proline 1956 F100 body arriving earlier in the week. The wheel base was absolutely spot on for my current setup.

I got some stock TF2 wheels and tires and will be going for a bit of a farm truck look I think, keeping it all fairly stock and low key.

I'm wanting to do a two tone paint job with white cab top.. Something like these:

I'm liking the baby blue look but also like the ugly green for something different

I still haven't decided if I'll paint the inside for a restored look or outside with silver/rust inside. If I were to do the latter, I would also wet and dry sand the paint in some spots I think but not sure yet..
Old 03-19-2015, 11:44 PM   #51
Quarry Creeper

I fired up Forza Horizon 2 when I realised it had the 56 f100..

Played around with the factory colours to get a feel for each one...

Now to decide which colour and begin painting this thing..
Old 03-24-2015, 04:45 AM   #52
Quarry Creeper

Cut the bed area out and part way through building the drop bed, just the sides to do now.

You can also see the paint I will be using..
White for cab top and grill surround, light blue for the body both on the outside with copper and black inside for rust scratch through.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:36 AM   #53

That looks so good!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:33 AM   #54
Quarry Creeper

Drop bed is done along with body mods to suit.

Mounting is simple, just heat and bend the top of each bed side to match the remaining lexan rolled edge.

Next thing was painting the inside..

The combination of silver, copper and black gives a good rust coloured base for the paint to scratch back to..

The window trim and side steps were done first so I could get the right mix of silver and copper to look like surface rust starting to come through on the chrome pieces. Hopefully it all looks good once finished..
Old 03-25-2015, 11:14 PM   #55

Love the whole idea of this build! Can't wait to see what else you have in store!
Hadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:03 AM   #56
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadden View Post
Love the whole idea of this build! Can't wait to see what else you have in store!
Thanks! Me too

Hopefully I can get the new body all finished in time for 2 runs planned on the weekend

White is done, just blue followed by the finishing touches and mounting it all up!
Old 03-26-2015, 03:17 AM   #57

Awesome! I just picked up a China Jeep from MrCrawlinSlow a few days ago, so that will be here Friday! I can't wait to start a new build. How are you liking the narrow 60s? I've thought about doing it a few times but I always get stuck on how to do the upper link mounts especially since I'd do a offset front axle.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:03 AM   #58
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadden View Post
Awesome! I just picked up a China Jeep from MrCrawlinSlow a few days ago, so that will be here Friday! I can't wait to start a new build. How are you liking the narrow 60s? I've thought about doing it a few times but I always get stuck on how to do the upper link mounts especially since I'd do a offset front axle.
They are nice bodies that's for sure

I love the setup, nice and narrow, it'll be interesting to see how they go with the little TF2 tires for the f100 build. I have spoken once or twice with David who built them about a diff shave.. Not sure if I will go that route or not yet..

I have a set of ar60s that are narrowed to xr width that have had equal material removed from both sides of the link/shock mounts. That keeps the diff location the same as stock so I can use stock upper mounts, dlux and dinky servo mounts.. Just some food for thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe122 View Post
This looks awesome, looking forward to the finished paint work. Like the drop bed!
As am I
It's not going to be perfect, but it was never meant to be as I was going for a farm truck type build. I'm pretty happy with how it is going though

Just masking the grill section before it gets a lick of blue..
Old 03-26-2015, 04:30 AM   #59
RCC Addict

I just finished a '66 F100 Porline SCT body with a similar idea. The start of yours with the copper, black and silver really looks great when scratched.
joe122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:39 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp3cia1-K View Post
They are nice bodies that's for sure

I love the setup, nice and narrow, it'll be interesting to see how they go with the little TF2 tires for the f100 build. I have spoken once or twice with David who built them about a diff shave.. Not sure if I will go that route or not yet..

I have a set of ar60s that are narrowed to xr width that have had equal material removed from both sides of the link/shock mounts. That keeps the diff location the same as stock so I can use stock upper mounts, dlux and dinky servo mounts.. Just some food for thought
You would happen to know the width of those xr modded ones would you..? Or how much was cut out of them? I know the answer is somewhere On The Internet but I tried and failed to find it...

Thank you in advance!!

-Hadden

Sp3cia1K's GCM Skeleton J2 on Narrow AR60s- A dual purpose build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rckcrwlr is letting the Skeleton out of the Closet with the help of GCM Rckcrwlr 1.9 Scale Rigs 72 08-13-2014 11:37 AM
dual purpose motor tim the toolman Vaterra Twin Hammers 6 04-21-2013 04:21 PM
Dual purpose rig? TobyJ Newbie General 7 11-20-2008 01:32 PM