Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Dale Larsen FJ bouncer build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2015, 05:07 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Dale Larsen FJ bouncer build

Got a chance to do just a little work on the Fj this weekend. Cut out the holes in the cab back for the battery leads and other wiring to slip through. Also got my fuel cell mount hot glued down and got the fuel cell velcro'd to it. I also ground down the edges with my dremel to make sure i didn't cut any wires.

I also took the time to install the Prolinw Powerstroke scaler shocks. They look and feel great. Ive always wanted a set just never bit the bullet on any. Picked these up on a trade with N2crawling as well as the rest of the goodies I have stashed away for this build. Think i'm gonna keep the axles stock for now and see how long they hold up

JDIRCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2015, 05:27 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Well after running it around the house for some tests, I couldn't fight the itch anymore not to go out and run the rigs with the guys. I tried getting my g6 finished and running so i could take it but ended up having a few issues with it. So i just bit the bullet it and took the 'ol Fj out for a shake down/test run with the body still clear lol. And we've had tons of snow and rain this week so its nice and sloppy on and around the rocks.

Here's a few pics from today. Thanks to my man Merrill for manning the camera after he fried his motor:flip off:

Nice creek crossing water was rushing pretty quick so had to watch it cause it s pretty deep off the other edge.

Aint afraid to get her deep lol

Hammer down!!

The aftermath

Old 02-22-2015, 05:34 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

After the shakedown run I was ver impressed with how well it performed. Even in the Mud and water covered rocks this thing would not be denied. I was very impressed with how well the suspension works as well as the weight bias. I don't think I'm gonna change anything on the running setup for now. It just works to well. I do think I'm gonna add some limiting straps to the rear to keep it toned down a little on the drop out in the rear.

Got it all sprayed down and cleaned up at the car wash (love being waterproof). Gonna tear the axles open and re-grease the moving parts. i didn't have any breaks at all today just had my hot glue fail for my fuel cell mount. Think i may just go back with velcro.

Ill have more updates as this build and bash continues. Gotta go get started on my new build thread for my g6
Old 03-23-2015, 06:58 AM   #24
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDIRCC View Post
After the shakedown run I was ver impressed with how well it performed. Even in the Mud and water covered rocks this thing would not be denied. I was very impressed with how well the suspension works as well as the weight bias. I don't think I'm gonna change anything on the running setup for now. It just works to well. I do think I'm gonna add some limiting straps to the rear to keep it toned down a little on the drop out in the rear.

Got it all sprayed down and cleaned up at the car wash (love being waterproof). Gonna tear the axles open and re-grease the moving parts. i didn't have any breaks at all today just had my hot glue fail for my fuel cell mount. Think i may just go back with velcro.

Ill have more updates as this build and bash continues. Gotta go get started on my new build thread for my g6

any updates on this build?
Mudman02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:51 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Yes!! Been busy these last few weeks and haven't had a chance to update it. Ill put up a few pics and up dates tonight.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:11 AM   #26
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Yes!! Been busy these last few weeks and haven't had a chance to update it. Ill put up a few pics and up dates tonight.

ok sounds good! looking forward to seeing this thing finished!
Old 04-14-2015, 08:44 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Been a few since i have had time to work on this beast. Been setting up all the details to our local event coming up.

But got some wrench time today and got a lot done.

First thing i did was tear apart my dead 3racing winch and upgrade to the commando system with the higher voltage motor and free spool system.

bad pic

And then i drilled out and installed it on the rig.

Couple other updates to note is I stuffed the tires with CI Lil Nova foams with soft outers. seriously helped reduce the side wall roll and helped with my cornering on my off camber areas.

I also painted the body the body the purple i had bought for the paint scheme. Wasn't sure of it and i got sick of the body being clear so why not. Glad i did because its definitely not the shade i was going for.

Guess ill have to search the tamiya colors again.

some more coming soon!!!
Old 04-14-2015, 08:52 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Well since i had been avoiding it for so long, I decided it was time to come up with the rag top for the back halve of the rig and start designing the interior. And also i need a driver….

Decided id work on the rag top first. searched around the house for awhile and couldn't find a black material as thick and tough as i wanted. So ran to the Walmart and went and looked through the fabric isle.

ENded up finding a black denim and leaving with a yard of it. Now this stuff says denim but it doesn't look or feel like any denim I've ever seen. its decent thick and I can double it up if it doesn't hold up.

First i took all of my measurements and did a layout on paper to test fit

Test fit was good so i drew it out on the material and cut it out.

I was torn between using velco to mount and zip ties. Ended up going with zip ties, but i can already see that I'm gonna hate that. Makes getting to anything virtually impossible.

But it did end up looking pretty good. Id have to say so

Old 04-14-2015, 09:05 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Next on the agenda was the driver and interior. First i took the floor plate and bolted up the wraith seats to see what kind of fit i was gonna have for a driver as well as what room i would have for a dash and floorboard.

Stallone came by and thinks he should pilot the Fj

But he just didn't fit all that well…

So Arnold stepped up and said this is my rig Bitch!!!!

And he was right. Almost a perfect fit.

Predator wanted to Join in as well

On to the interior. Started by taking my measurements of the space i have to work with for the dash, two separate floor/ firewall plates, and center console.

This is gonna be a nightmare. More doug sketches and measurements on paper.

Im sick as hell at the moment and chugged some robitussin so as the dizzy set in i decided I didn't need to be trying to cut and fab a dash tonight so ill hold off till this weekend for that one.

Also haven't decided on what material to use. I know everyone uses styrene and it looks great. I just haven't ever used it before and don't want to eff this up too bad. I have some hard clear plastic that i have used to make other parts before and i may use it. Its actually just a grinding shield laid out flat and cut

But I'm down for any imout or ideas at this point so some feel free to shoot me some advice or how to's
Old 07-02-2015, 06:30 PM   #30
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Next on the agenda was the driver and interior. First i took the floor plate and bolted up the wraith seats to see what kind of fit i was gonna have for a driver as well as what room i would have for a dash and floorboard.

Stallone came by and thinks he should pilot the Fj

But he just didn't fit all that well…

So Arnold stepped up and said this is my rig Bitch!!!!

And he was right. Almost a perfect fit.

Predator wanted to Join in as well

On to the interior. Started by taking my measurements of the space i have to work with for the dash, two separate floor/ firewall plates, and center console.

This is gonna be a nightmare. More doug sketches and measurements on paper.

Im sick as hell at the moment and chugged some robitussin so as the dizzy set in i decided I didn't need to be trying to cut and fab a dash tonight so ill hold off till this weekend for that one.

Also haven't decided on what material to use. I know everyone uses styrene and it looks great. I just haven't ever used it before and don't want to eff this up too bad. I have some hard clear plastic that i have used to make other parts before and i may use it. Its actually just a grinding shield laid out flat and cut

But I'm down for any imout or ideas at this point so some feel free to shoot me some advice or how to's

I'm gonna dig this up... Any progress on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2015, 02:32 PM   #31

For those of you who have not seen Dale run one of the races, you are missing out! This dude is nuts and a damn good driver!!!
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:33 PM   #32
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
For those of you who have not seen Dale run one of the races, you are missing out! This dude is nuts and a damn good driver!!!

Yep. One of the craziest guys out there... Gas on brain off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dale Larsen FJ bouncer build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rock bouncer build CaptinaCustoms Newbie General 2 12-29-2014 08:03 PM
Bouncer Build First for me. gunder463 2.2 Scale Rigs 54 05-25-2014 12:40 PM