Notices

Thread: RC4WD Gelande II "Ultimate FJ40" Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2015, 10:18 AM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: RC4WD Gelande II "Ultimate FJ40" Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51WillysJeep View Post
Been super busy this past week, but finally had a little time this morning to get something done on this. After getting the interior pan in, I cut the door area out, and mocked up the seats and rollbar. Still need to fill in the inner door jamb area with some styrene, but its finally starting to get somewhere . Just need to figure out the best way to hinge the doors, yet also keep them removable.
If you take apart some of the tiny brass hinges and ditch the pin you can use small nails, cut to length, and glued in place on one section. Then, they will be lift off hinges.

Alpha Male is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2015, 10:28 AM   #22
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Male View Post
If you take apart some of the tiny brass hinges and ditch the pin you can use small nails, cut to length, and glued in place on one section. Then, they will be lift off hinges.

Thank You Alpha Male, that is actually exactly what I was thinking of doing, after looking at an extra set of brass hinges from the original Aoshima FJ build.. I too believe that will work perfectly..!!
51WillysJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:57 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Ok - after seeing how this ones been taking shape, I absolutely couldn't stand the sight of the old wheels and tires that I'd originally mounted on it (just way too small).. And even though I'm still waiting on some parts (waiting on aluminum wheel hexes, before final assembly) I still wanted to mock up the sneakers I eventually got for this ride. After seeing "Northernerbill"s FJ40, I fell I love with the wheels and tires he had, and knew these were the ones I was going to buy for mine as well. They are 1.9" (6 lug Toyota correct) steel Wagon wheels, with soft compound RC4WD Challenger tires. I also went with a set of scale aluminum "AISIN" yota locking hubs as well. These tires fill the wheel wells perfectly, and look super scale too. After looking at many, many side profile pics of 1:1 Cruisers, I'm convinced the front wheels still needs to be pushed a tad farther forward to look correct (Its allready 5mm longer than stock). Might go another 4mm but will have to relocate the shock mounts further forward as well. Ride height needs to come down a bit as well.....

I also ended up picking up a NIB 3Racing 1/8th scale winch for this one, and got that mounted up today as well. (Still waiting on the scale WARN winch hook from RC4WD to show up...)

Alot more to come soon, stay tuned..!

Old 03-01-2015, 01:13 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

The front wheel location looks spot on to me.
Alpha Male is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 02:05 PM   #25
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Male View Post
The front wheel location looks spot on to me.
Lol - Trust me I do agree, it does look alot better now than it did stock, BUT Google some 1:1 side view pics, the front wheels still need to be moved forward just a tad from where they are now to look "correct"
Old 07-04-2015, 09:43 PM   #26

any updates on this build or is it dead?
rcchamp95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:14 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Lol - NOT dead, just on the backburner for the summer while I play with the 1:1 Hotrods instead !! I'm currently working on another 1:1 - 1930 Ford Rat-rod pickup truck ( Yeah, I bought another one, so I have 2 of them now !! LOL). As soon as the snow starts flying again and its too cold to go play outside in the garage, I'll head down to the R/C workshop and continue with this build, NO worries !!
Old 08-02-2015, 01:22 PM   #28
RCC Addict

I love those tires they look great on there
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:37 PM   #29
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51WillysJeep View Post
Lol - NOT dead, just on the backburner for the summer while I play with the 1:1 Hotrods instead !! I'm currently working on another 1:1 - 1930 Ford Rat-rod pickup truck ( Yeah, I bought another one, so I have 2 of them now !! LOL). As soon as the snow starts flying again and its too cold to go play outside in the garage, I'll head down to the R/C workshop and continue with this build, NO worries !!
has one of them been to skip's?
duellym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:44 AM   #30
RCC Addict

No, skips is a bit further than I normally travel with them, but I've been there before.. Its a great show

RC4WD Gelande II "Ultimate FJ40" Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RCCA - Project "Ultimate FJ40" 51WillysJeep 2.2 Scale Rigs 41 11-15-2010 07:05 PM
Help Ian "Low Crawl" Young build the ultimate AX-10 SSS-R! billet works Vendors Market 46 09-23-2010 12:56 PM