Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Custom SCX10 rear roll cage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2015, 04:16 PM   #1

Default Custom SCX10 rear roll cage

So building a cage for my scx10 has been in my mind for a few months and today was the warmest its been for a long time (25F) and so I jumped on the opportunity. I used all 3/16 steel rod and bent it by hand. It was an awesome experience and I loved making it. I am very happy with the outcome and will either paint it black or clear coat i soon.

http://youtu.be/NeVN3Tg23NQ
rcman219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2015, 04:29 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Custom SCX10 rear roll cage

Is that your cage in the video? Very nice. I used to weld for a living, but I don't have a welder or a workshop in which to weld. Do you think a cage made of soldered together solid brass rod will hold up to tumbles?
rcntncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcntncrawler View Post
Is that your cage in the video? Very nice. I used to weld for a living, but I don't have a welder or a workshop in which to weld. Do you think a cage made of soldered together solid brass rod will hold up to tumbles?
Yes brass should hold up. People make bumpers out of brass tube so it must be strong enough. I'd recommend brazing it with an oxy-acetaline tourch instead of "soldering" it. Also make sure the brass is thick enough, or try to find solid rod so it will resist bending more than a hollow tube.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:19 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

brass is soft....if you brace the hell out of it it might not bend, or using it on 1/18 or smaller scale should work ( not as heavy as 1/10) the way to go is use brake line or steel tubing and braze it.

Cheers,
Wade
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:47 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Nice looking cage. I did a hilux with a welded back half and exo cage, its extremely strong!!
Kaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaler View Post
Nice looking cage. I did a hilux with a welded back half and exo cage, its extremely strong!!
yeah this is plenty strong as it sits now, but i'll probably add some more braces later on
Old 02-28-2015, 09:47 PM   #7

Hey, rcman219 I wanted to build a roll cage like that for a while now but don't now anything about tubing or how to do it. What kind of tube is that and where can I get it is it something I can find locally like at Home Depot, Lowes or an auto parts store or something. Does it come as a roll or a long rod and finally does it come in different thickness. Thanks in advance.
WILLIE WILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLIE WILL View Post
Hey, rcman219 I wanted to build a roll cage like that for a while now but don't now anything about tubing or how to do it. What kind of tube is that and where can I get it is it something I can find locally like at Home Depot, Lowes or an auto parts store or something. Does it come as a roll or a long rod and finally does it come in different thickness. Thanks in advance.
Hey Will. I used solid steel rod for my rollcage. I bought it at Home Depot, but you can find it also at Menards, Fleet Farm, even Hobbytown USA has some. I used 3/16 inch, which seems to be the perfect size for 1/10 rc cars, 1/8 inch is too small and 1/4 inch is a bit overkill. I bought mine in 4ft pieces, but they do sell them in 3ft and sometimes 1ft pieces, its a bit cheaper to get the 4ft over the 3ft pieces. I mig welded it all, you can weld it (mig or tig), but for people that have never welded before I would say to use an oxy-acetylene torch and "braze" it. I welded it because I have experience welding it and I dont have a torch yet
Old 03-02-2015, 03:34 PM   #9

Thanks for all the info I didn't know Home Depot sold it that's good to know. I own a welder but it's flux cored and I don't know how it would do with small parts like that. I've never brazed before is that as strong as welding and is it hard to. Thanks again.
WILLIE WILL is offline   Reply With Quote

Custom SCX10 rear roll cage - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ScalerFab Custom steel 6-pt. roll cage available... ScalerFab G-Made Sawback 1 11-25-2013 11:03 PM
Real custom roll cage The Violator Chit Chat 20 06-24-2010 04:33 AM
Honcho roll cage rear with Hilux body up front? Wild Snapper Axial SCX-10 4 12-18-2009 07:53 PM
Custom Roll Cage TheNewbie General Crawlers 6 09-10-2004 05:25 PM