Notices

Thread: jebster's half track lcc mog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2015, 12:56 PM   #61
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: jebster's half track lcc mog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy J. View Post
I think they both look fine, but I'm leaning toward the double bend version. It's just a little more stylish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That was my first design. The one concern I have is if the lower tube will look OK sitting just above the bumper.
jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2015, 10:51 AM   #62
I wanna be Dave

In the home stretch. Fabricated the front bumper, wired up the lightbar (only to find out it isn't working!), installed the windows and started to add some scale accessories with what I had laying around. At this point it is a fully capable rig for running. Next time I get a chance to run in the yard I'll take some video.

Still looking for a few decals to spruce up the body and I may add some lights to the front bumper and maybe a light on the back of the cab for the bed.

Now that this is coming to a close I'll have to get going on my next one. I hate just driving my rigs!
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2016, 10:33 AM   #63
I wanna be Dave

I think I have run into a significant issue. No matter what I do there is a heat problem with the rear axle. Out running for about 10 minutes this morning (in 30deg weather) the rear axle is getting way too hot. For comparison the front axle was giving me a reading of 74deg while the rear was showing 144deg. A few weeks back the lnc shaft from the rear axle to the transfer case was so hot I burned my finger when I touched it.

After that previous run I rebuilt the rear axle. Everything was spinning freely and if packed in the grease. Doesn't seem like that helped.

My logical conclusion is the higher RPMs I'm driving the rear axle at relative to the front (to compensate for the tracks) is just too much. The grease just can't keep the friction down and the heat builds up quickly.

Unless someone has other ideas I may have to break down and switch to different axles and tranny. Probably have to go with scx10 equipment.
Old 03-20-2016, 11:52 AM   #64
Suck it up!

Sounds about right. I suppose your only other option with those axles would be to slow the front down so that the rear is running at a more reasonable speed.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 02:05 PM   #65
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Sounds about right. I suppose your only other option with those axles would be to slow the front down so that the rear is running at a more reasonable speed.
That probably the only option but not one I'm willing to go with. Rig would be too slow.

Hopefully I can fit some scx axles underneath without having to do a lot rework.
Old 03-20-2016, 04:22 PM   #66
Rock Stacker

badass build
BORG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 04:35 PM   #67
Rock Crawler

Would a transmission with a center diff fix it? It seems like the heat is probably made way worse from the difference in ratios.
DrewHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 04:57 PM   #68
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewHammer View Post
Would a transmission with a center diff fix it? It seems like the heat is probably made way worse from the difference in ratios.
You could run that way but not with the tracks. The different ratio compensates for the difference in diameter between the front wheel and the main track wheel. Not quite a 2:1 ratio but close. That means the rear axle is spinning almost twice as fast as the front to get equal groundspeed.

In the end it is really an issue of the type of axles I wanted to use. I knew worm gears have more friction, meaning more heat, than a ring/pinion. Just didn't expect this much. Switching over to something like scx10 axles would solve the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORG View Post
badass build
Thanks man.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:56 PM   #69
I wanna be Dave

Finally had some time to work on this rig. Decided to switch from the lnc drivetrain to scx10 equipment. A little link adjustment and some new panhard mounts on the axles and the scx10 axles fit right in. Installed a scx10 transmission and changed over to a brushed motor and fxr esc. Everything runs nice and smooth.
While I was at it I decided to up the power on the winch. I wasn't happy with the small brushless system as it didn't have enough pull. So, dropped in 540 sized motor (rc4wd 80t) and have it powered through an fxr. Now this thing is a beast! Pulls like crazy and the worm drive gear case locks the line when not under power. I will definitely use this setup for future rigs. Posted a short video of it dead lifting all 9lbs of the rig without breaking a sweat.

https://youtu.be/uOhRUx-Y79U
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2016, 07:44 PM   #70
RCC Addict

Wonder if on your ratio issue, running worm axle in front and axial in the rear? Not sure what your ratios are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hairba11 is offline   Reply With Quote

jebster's half track lcc mog - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
US M3 half track. Devilbrad Non Crawler RC's 40 12-10-2016 03:16 PM
jebster's lcc jebster Team Losi Comp Crawler 65 03-23-2014 01:49 PM
half track REV666 General Scale Talk 13 03-26-2013 10:11 PM
Half Track? MiddleT General Scale Talk 13 01-11-2009 12:35 PM