Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: The DIRTY BIRD lives again! ! !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2015, 08:11 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: The DIRTY BIRD lives again! ! !

OK, I think I've solved the problem of where to mount the servo. It's going to have a custom mount on top of the axle. I have an extra VP Currie servo mount that will be the platform. I'm going to use some plates and maybe a delrin block to secure it. I've been trying every possible set up I can think of and cannot get the linkage to have full range or the steering to have full range. Something has to sacrifice performance with a CMS. The only problem I have with the axle mount is the motor will hit the servo. My solution to this is to get one of those Holmes Revolver outrunner motors. I Jane one in my Clod and it works great on a 2s. I believe this will work out well in this rig too. The progress will begin by the middle of the week to come.
I.D.10.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2015, 09:50 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

I'll check back to see your progress . Those axles where a pain for steering .
Rodamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:27 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

I've gotta say YAHOOO! ! ! ! ! I did it. I was able to make a servo mount that goes on top of the front axle. I used two pieces of steel and made them into L shapes. Just look at the photos. They say it better than my dumb verbage. And besides, most of are men that prefer those picture books over the articles. We are visual!

I do have to replace the motor with a shorter outrunner motor now. Its on the way. And I do have to get a new servo. The one pictured doesn't work. I'm really excited now that things are moving the direction I want.

Next week, a mounted motor and servo in place. Steering link too.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:59 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Who made that fuel tank?
90Finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:51 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Finder View Post
Who made that fuel tank?

I have no idea, but it sure does fit this build this build. It could have been Dessertmax. That could be misspelled. He is the previous owner and his thread build is in the 2.2 section.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:53 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

We'll today I was able to spend some time trying to get this thing functional steering. I had a JR 9100 servo with a 20mm reach horn to use for this project. I made a short steering link from the last of my 3/16" stainless. Next I bent it so it would hopefully not bump the chassis on a full right front compression. It was going OK until I had to make adjustments to the horn neutral angle. InsteD of having it sit in the 6:00 position, I moved it to around the 4:30 spot. That meant I now needed to stretch this brand new steering link. IRONY: I cut off 20mm earlier to make it work for six. I put a long ball end in place to get my added length. It will steer almost completely in both directions. I have a longer servo horn on its way to accommodate that desire.

Old 05-06-2015, 04:11 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

Lightning fast updates. I made a battery tray for a 2S saddle pack that floats over the t-case. The seat sits on top of the battery, and the power plug goes between the batteries to plug into the MMP. All of the electronics are quick tied under the hood area. There is 0 knee room for the passenger.

I seriously need some XVD's. The stock dog bones lasted about 40' for both of them to round out. I think someone might have traded out their worn ones for the new ones. If you know where I can get some XVD's, it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-13-2015, 02:00 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

This is a photo from its madden voyage in my backyard. It made it about 30' into the course before the front left wheel lost power. I only had to go another 40' before the front right lost power too. I pulled the front axle apart to find that the stock axles are some sort of reverse dog bone structure. The pins all broke off and would not engage from there on out. I have since been hunting for some of the XVD's, but they have not been in stock anywhere. And this week they are back in stock. I have a set coming. I will continue the progress of the 'scale out' and finish this rig off next week.

Old 05-13-2015, 02:21 PM   #29
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

I tried to buy this back from Paul, but you beat me to it. I should have never sold it in the first place. Neil built the body around 2.2's and AR60 width axles. My original thought was to widen the Blackwells to AR width, so your close to what I had in mind.....

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/2-2-s...y-f-ruggy.html
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:24 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2j View Post
I tried to buy this back from Paul, but you beat me to it. I should have never sold it in the first place. Neil built the body around 2.2's and AR60 width axles. My original thought was to widen the Blackwells to AR width, so your close to what I had in mind.....

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/2-2-s...y-f-ruggy.html

I was just trying to get it to look like the 1:1. The TSL XL's didn't look good next to it, so some stuffed Compass tires were my only other choice.

If I decide to sell it, I'll be sure to send you a PM first. I told Paul in my PM that I was the first to put a post wanting to buy it on his build thread. He honored that. I can't see me keeping this one for a long period of time. I like to get out and really use my stuff. And I'm always 6" away from this one if going over rocks.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:07 AM   #31
Rock Crawler

It looked broken before but now it looks sweet.
MountainStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:38 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Photos coming

Old 05-25-2015, 04:41 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

Old 05-25-2015, 04:43 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

Old 05-25-2015, 04:47 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

Old 05-25-2015, 06:03 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

That really looks nice Andy!
scorpiondave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:03 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

It think scale wise this rig looks the best on 1.9's. Those dog bones did the exact same thing when first ran my rig . Popped the pins clean off and replaced them with cvd's and never broke them after that.
Rodamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:22 AM   #38
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodamis View Post
It think scale wise this rig looks the best on 1.9's. Those dog bones did the exact same thing when first ran my rig . Popped the pins clean off and replaced them with cvd's and never broke them after that.
You'd think after paying that much for axles, they would come with the XVD's.

The DIRTY BIRD lives again! ! ! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project '66 FORD F-100 2.2: **DiRtY BiRd** Desert Rc 2.2 Scale Rigs 67 01-17-2015 10:14 PM
Eliminator_ryan's Dirty Chevy build a.k.a. The Dirty Burger Eliminator_ryan 1.9 Scale Rigs 53 11-13-2014 09:33 AM
A bird in a bird in a bird in a bird in a pig camobob Chit Chat 10 06-29-2011 07:43 PM
It Lives!!! bRIBEGuy General Crawlers 9 01-15-2008 04:02 PM