Notices

Thread: Mighty FC-ish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2015, 07:02 AM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Mighty FC-ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty2 View Post
In my defense (not that I feel that I need defending) it was missing one of the little tail light cages when I got it, so it obviously had zero value to anyone anymore at that point.

Quite possibly the most brilliant answer ever to the question of what to do about a broken tail light cage. Well done, sir!
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2015, 04:25 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty2 View Post

I know for certain one side is still floating around because I saw it last night in my scrap metal pile, it's not outside the realm of possibility I chucked the other though. If I can find the other do you want them?
If you can find the other one, I could put them to good use.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:20 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
If you can find the other one, I could put them to good use.
I've got the one set aside, haven't found the other yet, but I haven't looked really hard yet either. If it turns up they're yours.
forty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 03:05 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Driver installed and ready to go. He's short about 1/2" from the torso and has no feet, but you'd never know from looking in the windows. I also located a prime candidate for a passenger, showing up in the next few days, if the scale is even close to correct I'm going to be awfully tickled. Still waiting on the winch controller, hopefully I'll find it in my mailbox any day now. From the moment it arrives I estimate it'll take me all of an hour and a half to have final assembly complete. There will still be a couple of details to go after that, but minor.

Last but not least, I just found out that this is on the horizon. Perhaps my kid's Dingo will be seeing some upgrades after all...
Old 05-27-2015, 05:00 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

This rig is beyond pimping. I only wish I could have something as dope.

Something about the unimog proportions with some Jeep mixed in just really does it for me as being wrong in so many ways it's actually right.
meatmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 03:26 PM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Winch controller arrived yesterday. I tapered the front bumper to buy me a little more approach angle at the corners and made the winch mounts last night. Paint was dry enough today to start reassembly:

Not enough time for a real run but I tore around the yard a little, definitely need to respring the front and it feels like I've got some parasitic drag somewhere, but so far I'm still feeling pretty good about it.

The electrics aren't hidden very well, just on top of the doghouse and behind the seats, receiver is tucked in the trimmed fuel cell.

From this side you can see the little box I made to tuck the battery into. I had to trim it a couple of times to make it work right and in doing so I trimmed the hook off that I had welded to the top so now I have to do another one. For now it works but the battery slides back and forth. Eventually I'll have a faux toolbox over the battery and a bungee to hold it all together. I'll try and do more pictures and some video early next week, but for now I'm out.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:31 PM   #47
Quarry Creeper

Oh, this one is exciting for me. It's a very small but important update. PASSENGER:

No additional scale points though, bummer...
Old 06-04-2015, 05:27 PM   #48
Quarry Creeper

Where did the battery go?

Also, first test of the Beefy Winch on 3s power w/ HeyOk controller:

Old 06-06-2015, 10:32 AM   #49
Quarry Creeper

The backyard tour:

Old 06-06-2015, 01:03 PM   #50
Pebble Pounder

looks amazing! awesome build. I wish I had the scale fab skills you do just to build just new bumpers for my jeep cherokee build.
FATALLYILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 04:36 PM   #51
Quarry Creeper

Final build update:

Inner fenders are done, cobbled together from styrene, painted and hot glued into place.

Kind of rough on the inside but painted the same interior color to blend in.

Not perfect but looks better on the outside.

I've done a ton of winching with this truck and the line turned out to not really be up to the task. This line either came from MadDog, RC4WD, or TZi, not sure which. Doesn't matter. Replaced it with 250 lb line from LockedUp.

Since I was already ordering from LockedUp I also got a set of hubs for the back, using Axial plastic on the front to complete the set. Points!

Last but not least, the 55T silver can was just not giving me enough wheel speed and I was already at ~4:1 gearing so I picked up a 30T Torquemaster on sale for $25 and regeared to ~5:1. This just happened today so not a lot of runtime on it, but just around the living room it seems near perfect.

I was also fully prepared to complain about my Eiger ESC. It's the only thing I had on hand at the time of building that would fit in the spot I had set aside. From day one the drag brake has been abysmal, working okay coming off throttle but once stopped the truck would freewheel on anything more than the slightest grade. It was infuriating. Turns out that the motor change made a huge difference. Not quite the drag brake level I get out of the Castle ESCs I normally use but enough that I'm no longer seeking a replacement.

Couple of bonus shots:

Mighty FC-ish - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The mighty CC01 shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 10-03-2012 04:32 PM
Mighty FC xxgg Scale Videos! 3 05-19-2012 11:59 PM
TTC-ish Scale-ish Budget-ish Wroncho-ish Build Meatwad Axial SCX-10 77 01-19-2012 03:00 PM
Mighty Max(x) Mechanicalbob General Crawlers 9 02-21-2007 12:30 PM