Something else, please share 7 5.56%
cheese 15 11.90%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: PJ 4runner build OD green 2/4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2006, 08:46 AM   #1
Sinking with the ship

Default PJ 4runner build OD green 2/4

Well as some of you know, I acquired BD's old 4runner Bruiser bodied PJ chassis. I started mocking up some ideas for it but I am not really sure how I want to proceed. So I am asking for some ideas, imput, opinions etc. Here is what I am thinking so far...

I am in love with Dean's Ultimate scale Tan Yota... I think its one of the saweetest scale rigs out there.... I have been wanted to build something similiar so I now finally have something to work with. SO here is the mock up photos....

High lift axles, 1.9 Bruiser Builder wheels with stock high lift tires. I am thinking some 1.9 claw dawgs would be even saweeter.

As far as suspension goes, I want to try someting new. For the front, I am thinking of a 3 link with coil springs and some high lift or turned down tlt shocks. I have never done a 3 link with a panhard bar/link??? is that what its even called so I think that would be cool. For the rear, I thinking there is enough frame to drill it to buggy leaf it so Ill probably go that route... Unless there is some sort of other cool set up I can do?

The body is getting repaired, I already fixed the 2 rear breaks and the break in the roof... I decided that even though the true fire is saweet, that I am stripping it down and its going back to OD Green, with a black roof and black hood. Its going to get a badass interior with full guages, shifters, fire extinguisher, cage THE WORKS, I am also going to make a rear floor with inner fender wells and I am even thinking of back seats maybe.

NOW here comes the part where I need some serious imput, mystepfather was looking at it last night and said I should cut down the cap like how they do on real 4runners...so check out this pic I have found of one and let me know what you think. That can change the build drastically... I dont think 1.9s would look good anymore at that stage, but some swampers on it and a rear tire mounted across the back section would look killa along with some serious cage work...

well yea, check it out, give me some thoughts and Ideas, I want to do something different with this one.
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2006, 08:56 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

You're on the right track Mike with those wheels and tires.You don't need a poll,whatever you build will be sick.
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:20 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I like the 1.9's. As for the body if it was me I would get some vinyl and glue it onto the custom cap. Make like a soft top out of it, then you dont have to worry about getting the bodywork perfect. Maybe even bob it slightly too

Then of course full bumbers, rock sliders, swing out sparetire etc etc..

Or maybe full interior and run the spare on the inside. Dont think ive seen that done yet.

Last edited by TerribleOne; 12-18-2006 at 09:23 AM.
TerribleOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:34 AM   #4
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerribleOne
I like the 1.9's. As for the body if it was me I would get some vinyl and glue it onto the custom cap. Make like a soft top out of it, then you dont have to worry about getting the bodywork perfect. Maybe even bob it slightly too

Then of course full bumbers, rock sliders, swing out sparetire etc etc..

Or maybe full interior and run the spare on the inside. Dont think ive seen that done yet.
I have thought about bobbing it some, I cant do to much, maybe a 1/4 because then they frame would be sticking way out the back. Right now the rear bumper is basically flush with the body, so I can bob it a bit and have the bumper all the way out, then I can braze some cool stuff to it.

The soft top idea is kinda cool too...might have to look into that

Putting the spare tire inside was a thought as well last night
Old 12-18-2006, 09:50 AM   #5
Oppan Gangnam Style

i say do it up with the 1.9's and cut it like the 4-runner. make it crazy bad a$$ with all the scale stuff you are so good at putting on and add a winch or two. i might add a rear winch to mine and make a switch onboard that i can toggle back and forth between the front and rear winch since i am only using a 3-channel.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 11:14 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63
i say do it up with the 1.9's and cut it like the 4-runner. make it crazy bad a$$ with all the scale stuff you are so good at putting on and add a winch or two. i might add a rear winch to mine and make a switch onboard that i can toggle back and forth between the front and rear winch since i am only using a 3-channel.
x2 mike go with the 1.9 and tube the heck out of it...sick
k9popo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 11:46 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I agree that you should build a 1.9r:-P It looks really cool with the highlift tires on there...Lookslike a trail rig and not a trail monster!!!
AIPOHAKU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 11:58 AM   #8
Sinking with the ship

Very sweet, thanks for all the recommendations guys, I agree that the 1.9s look badass, and the high lift axles are the PERFECT width for it...so now I just gotta start brazing up some mounts for stuff

-Mike
Old 12-18-2006, 11:59 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

1.9 build, chino inspired, chop the top like the blue pic, hilift tires and axles, maybe make a roll up canvas back for the part you cut off.
Unimoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:03 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unimoger
1.9 build, chino inspired, chop the top like the blue pic, hilift tires and axles, maybe make a roll up canvas back for the part you cut off.
You can never chop too much
Old 12-18-2006, 12:05 PM   #11
RCC Addict

1.9 !!! wanna be chino's lol

hey man are you going to put some sort of glass on the windows? use lexan its easy to attach and are cheap!! thats what i did on my lift
sleek6mt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:07 PM   #12
Sinking with the ship

O boy, you guys all really have me thinking about hacking that back portion off
Old 12-18-2006, 12:09 PM   #13
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleek6mt
1.9 !!! wanna be chino's lol

hey man are you going to put some sort of glass on the windows? use lexan its easy to attach and are cheap!! thats what i did on my lift
Dont you worry about that dude, I have a repro windshield and some nice .30 lexan to cut up for the side windows
Old 12-18-2006, 12:12 PM   #14
PapaGriz Yo

Maybe this is blasphemy but I don't really like the full 4runner top. I think it looks better cut short. As far as wheels/tires go, I say section a set of G-Hawgs, Swampers, or Moabs to fit a 1.9" wheel. I definately like the ultra scale look of the 1.9 over a 2.2 for this build.
Attached Images

Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:25 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

looks sick i would go with soe nerrows claw dawgs on cut em to fit 1.9 rims they would work the best also
smokinubyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:29 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser
Dont you worry about that dude, I have a repro windshield and some nice .30 lexan to cut up for the side windows
kool
sleek6mt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:32 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4
Maybe this is blasphemy but I don't really like the full 4runner top. I think it looks better cut short. As far as wheels/tires go, I say section a set of G-Hawgs, Swampers, or Moabs to fit a 1.9" wheel. I definately like the ultra scale look of the 1.9 over a 2.2 for this build.
He's right Mike......
Old 12-18-2006, 12:37 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Why not something totally different, like the hilux we get in other parts of the world ,like the 4 door version with a short bed, THAT would be different and cool, been looking around for pics of one but no luck:-(

Last edited by cartronicshn; 12-18-2006 at 01:28 PM.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 01:02 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

cheese definately cheese. I say cut the back like above and do an internal cage to cover the rear. then do an exo
supercrawlerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 01:22 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

1.9 for the win.....
ScGRaceR is offline   Reply With Quote