Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Suzuki tube buggy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2015, 01:48 PM   #1
MWRCA'er

Default Suzuki tube buggy

Plan for this rig is to build something with time and tube work takes time. This rig will have a more shifted focus on being scale rather than a scale performer. I miss the days of building what I wanted rather then what scale events require to be successful on course. With that said hopefully it won't be terrible to drive.

Started with the Axial Trail Ranger body.

Man I hate those pocket flares.

After some butchering I rid it of those awful flares and shortened the back to be the proper Zuki wheelbase.

Chassis work to begin soon.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2015, 02:55 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Suzuki tube buggy

Already like it! More Please.
joe122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:28 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Jealous! I'd like to git my paws on one of those Trailrangers!
travis c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:33 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Sickness
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:59 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis c. View Post
Jealous! I'd like to git my paws on one of those Trailrangers!
You guys know you can get trail ranger bodies from team blue groove?

Trail Ranger Body for The AX10 Scorpion SCX10 Savage T Maxx E Maxx | eBay
spookyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:18 PM   #6
MWRCA'er

I'm using a Blue Groove body very impressed as good or better then the original. I don't feel bad about chopping it up heh.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:53 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookyseven View Post
You guys know you can get trail ranger bodies from team blue groove?

Trail Ranger Body for The AX10 Scorpion SCX10 Savage T Maxx E Maxx | eBay
I certainly did not!

Thank you for posting that.
travis c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:28 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Here are a few pic to inspire your build

These trail rangers are sick and climb like a goat ...
1beatjeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:54 PM   #9
MWRCA'er

Recently, I broke my thumb and fractured my Tibia in three places. Sucks because it keeps me out of the basement shop. I was riding my bicycle to the auto parts store, tires snarled a ledge in the highway and I slid off the bike into the highway at 30mph rolled probably 30ft. Tried to stand up and my leg gave out so I crawled to the shoulder and had to call 911. Guess I can't put weight on my leg for 10-14 weeks.

But, It gives me time to figure out the direction to head with this build and time to order parts.

Ordered these wheels, not hugely impressive but not hugely expensive either. Just needed something to hold my treads. I'll likely sandblast the red caps raw for a more industrial look.

Ordered one of these transfer cases. Was kinda disappointed at how small it is. It should do the duty though, I need the gearbox up front so I can have a interior.

After really wanting a 2 speed truck as it's so nice to have with outrunner brushless. I kind of funneled over my options for a few days. I used the Summit trans on a prior build but it's enormous. I looked at the Vaterra twin hammers transmission but it seemed kinda costly and bulky. I looked at the Axial conversion kits but they are way to much money and replacement parts are expensive. So I ordered a $30 Axial Yeti transmission from ebay. I understand that they are currently single speed but have the option of a lower first gear in the future (if they ever release the option). I liked the attached clockable transfer case as well. With some minor modification it should be more then capable.

I ordered some Flat iron Xl's without much thought. They seem HUGE and might be to big. I guess I should've read about them on RCC. Definitely grippy though I guess we'll see if they fit.

Last edited by Mnster; 08-03-2015 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:12 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Man that suck brother. When I saw the pic I immediately said to myself he wrecked his motorcycle. I was close...... I hope you heal up fast.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:28 PM   #11
MWRCA'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaclip View Post
Man that suck brother. When I saw the pic I immediately said to myself he wrecked his motorcycle. I was close...... I hope you heal up fast.
Yeah everyone at the hospital said kept saying I was in a motorcycle wreck. I guess if you do something might as well do it well. Wish I would of rode my fat tire bike or just took my friend up on his offer of giving me a ride. Would of been crawling all over Colorado and Utah this week in instead of laid up in the ground level of the house for 3 months. Oh well can't take it back maybe it happened for some reason who knows. Least i have cool scars, got to ride in a ambulance and have metal inside me.

Got some 102mm Shocks hopefully the extra length will make it flex real nice.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:17 PM   #12
MWRCA'er

Printed some frame templates. Once I'm well I'll head to the garage and bend some steel channels up and use this printed sheet of paper as a template.

Beadlock wheels came in, unfortunately they won't work at all with Proline tire beads. Ordered some SSD D-hole beadlock wheels to replace them.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:13 AM   #13
MWRCA'er

Put the Yeti transmisson together. Installed the SSD 2-speed gearset so it can shift on the fly. A large outrunner should give it more power than it needs not sensored but I've been using unsensored outrunners for years with lots of success.

Starting to wonder if it will fit, sure will be tight might have to customize it a bit. May clock the transfer case and extend it out a ways to aid the front driveshaft angle.

Last edited by Mnster; 08-20-2015 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:59 PM   #14
MWRCA'er

Having lots of chair time. I did some of the tedious work of printing decals for the body since none came with. Just printed a bunch of bumper stickers of Google images until I got the right size. The middle one should be perfect.

Also rebuilt my used axles with new SSD axle cases.

Debating if I should cut the cab off and make a cage. Or keep what I have and exocage it with a roof rack style cage. The windows are sort of squaty it might look better in a door less full cage configuration. But, keeping the cab means I have the ability to put less work into the interior. I have a few different wheel and tire options. I might run the vaterras till I get it together. Thinking a narrower track might look more proper.

Last edited by Mnster; 09-01-2015 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:20 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

nice work mate, the good thing is that you are staying home and working on something you like.
can you tell me what motor/esc are you running exactly?

get well soon!

Last edited by ektoz; 09-02-2015 at 07:23 AM.
ektoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:35 AM   #16
MWRCA'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ektoz View Post
What motor/esc are you running exactly?

get well soon!
Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 3542-1185kv Brushless Outrunner Motor

For the ESC I've bought a Castle Creations SW3. I'm thinking about trying something else Castle has a pretty notchy motor start up compared to other brushless Esc's I've tried. But, it's water proof, high quality and cheap.
Castle Creations | Sidewinder 3

The setup isn't for everyone but I like it. I feel like brushed power is a 4 cylinder smooth but weak. Brushless outrunner is a like V8 with a big lope camshaft. At motor start it just sort of springs to motion rather than slowly spools. But, behind a two speed with low gearing I find it to work just fine.

There are several reasons I continue to run them despite the poor low speed control.

1. They have no components to foul with mud. They just keep working no matter what, which is important in the midwest mud, water and trails.

2. They have a enormous amount of torque. They are remarkably powerful things like gloppy sticky mud don't strain them. Again feels like a Big cammed V8.

3. They are cheap. For a scale setup dollar per power is really hard to beat. I have the power comparable to a high dollar setup while costing the same or less then a entry level brushed setup.

4. They are extremely efficient. The run time I get with outrunners surpasses anything brushed that I have ran. When you factor in that it has far greater power as well it almost seems like I'm cheating. I can run lighter batteries and get away with it. I could even run smaller Escs like a Micro Sidewinder to save money and chassis space.

5. They sound cool. When you roll up to event everyone notices your rig sounds different. Kinda like a electric shaver or space ship the motor has many poles so it has a different sort of revolving tone.

But, the low speed throttle control sucks. Holmes hobbies has sensored outrunners which are said to address this issue. But, I find it to be a bit costly for a basic scale run in the mud setup.

Last edited by Mnster; 09-02-2015 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:05 PM   #17
MWRCA'er

Finally got my thumb out of the cast. Slid on my ass down the stairs to the basement shop. Leg still healing doc says another month before I can put weight on it. But, managing to roll around on my office chairs with my leg propped up and get stuff done.

Bent and cut the chassis plates.

Now I just have to find a way to the garage to start welding.

Old 09-16-2015, 04:12 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Damn that's commitment! I can picture you scooting around heating, bending and cutting out the frame.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:13 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Nice!!!! I've been wanting to make my own chassis how do you bend the square tubing if I may ask.
4X4 Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:34 PM   #20
MWRCA'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 Freak View Post
Nice!!!! I've been wanting to make my own chassis how do you bend the square tubing if I may ask.
With a Mapp torch and a vice. Heat the outer side of the bend till it turns red and it easily pushes into shape.

Suzuki tube buggy - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tube Frame Suzuki gadge 2.2 Scale Rigs 0 06-06-2013 12:14 PM
usnick suzuki, surgical stainless tube gardenwelder 1.9 Scale Rigs 7 10-20-2011 02:45 PM
Project Suzuki Samuri tube crawler.replica of a real crawler RCWizard General Crawlers 7 12-24-2004 06:53 PM