Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Hacked and Abused YJ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2015, 05:19 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Hacked and Abused YJ

I love seeing a fellow machinist into scale trucks. Those axles look great! I had planned on making a set of dana 35s but I just dont have the time right now. I did a build thread on my scratch built 73 bronco. It still has scx axles under it for now. Keep up the good work and keep us posted!

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk
Jcplante is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2015, 06:46 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcplante View Post
I love seeing a fellow machinist into scale trucks. Those axles look great! I had planned on making a set of dana 35s but I just dont have the time right now. I did a build thread on my scratch built 73 bronco. It still has scx axles under it for now. Keep up the good work and keep us posted!

Please don't take offense, but why would you spend so much time and effort to recreate jeeps worst axle known to man. People don't call it a terdy-5 because it's a good axle.
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:56 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Ha I know. I was just thinking about making it look like a stockish rig. I did think about doing a ford 9" too. I was planning on doing a swap on my 1:1 zj but ended up selling it.

Jcplante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:36 PM   #24
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyJeep View Post
Love the new front bumper. Looks exactly like the one I built for my 1:1. I am building a 1/10 YJ now with an all steel body. You'll have to check it out. It will also be OD green as are all of my Jeeps, big or small.
Thanks, I like the scale of it.
Your 1:1 is cool, a lot of good work done to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqbiedoo View Post
Kudos on them axles, looking really scale!
Thank ya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven318is View Post
you should be selling these axles there the best ive seen yet
It crossed my mind, the price would be astronomical and it would be more trouble than its worth. Thank you for the compliments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcplante View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaclip View Post
Please don't take offense, but why would you spend so much time and effort to recreate jeeps worst axle known to man. People don't call it a terdy-5 because it's a good axle.
Yeah not sure about the Dana 35. I blew one up on my 1:1 years ago just driving down the road. I would make a Dana 44 if it were for a Bronco. Good luck, I would love to see the progress if you do make it. I can appreciate the hard work!!
ecd02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:51 PM   #25
Rock Stacker

A little update on this sucker, I was not in love with the wheels and the beadlock rings. So i had to make some changes. This was in the scrap hopper at work. Seems to me i needed to make hay while the sun was shining.

Made a little program and knocked these out in a night.

I am happy with them. Think they look a bit more scale.

Oh and RC4WD came through for me ...
Simba was more than pleased

Ordered the clear windows for the YJ body, a spare MTZ and a nice scale Warn winch hook. It looks amazing.

Can see the clear windows now.
Guess i gotta get my interior done now.

One last thing. I wanted some more scale looking hubs that would still cover the wheel nuts. I was going for this look.

I just kinda winged it and engraved the Spydertrax logo and wasn't going to try to do the emblem in the middle. Well the tooling marks from the .125 endmill I used made it almost look about right so i am more than happy.

I made them a bit to short so i have to cut about a 1/16 off of the axle for them to sit almost flush to the flange of the nut.

I haven't had time to get this thing out to test drive. Life gets in the way. Plus have a 1:1 jeep race this weekend so Im sure i will be wrenching on that this weekend.

Going to try to get some body work done and repaint it. Hope to run a few packs through it with in the next week. Thanks for looking!
Old 09-16-2015, 06:11 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Nice update! The short hubs will be nice and tucked. Wheels turned out great
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:22 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

Ah, it must be nice to have access to good machine tools. Nice work on the wheels.
DaddyJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:08 PM   #28
Rock Stacker

Jeez... every time I check this it keeps getting better.. I bow at your greatness lol
SubaruDriftBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:31 PM   #29
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaclip View Post
Nice update! The short hubs will be nice and tucked. Wheels turned out great
Quote:
Ah, it must be nice to have access to good machine tools. Nice work on the wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruDriftBoy View Post
Jeez... every time I check this it keeps getting better.. I bow at your greatness lol
Thanks guys! Its nice to have the right tooling. I am fortunate to be able to have the chance to do it. I am really fortunate I can share it on this forum and have it appreciated.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:29 PM   #30
Rock Stacker

Just a small update. Decided to get rolling on some of the scale details. I never really said what direction I wanted to go with this build. I am thinking like the Every Man Challenge style vehicles that run in the King of Hammers. If you aren't familiar, they are close to street legal but not too extreme or tubed out. Normally have full bodys and decent suspension. Google will help if you need a reference.

I got the driver mounted up in place in the seat. Not going to glue his arms in place until I am sure that is where the steering wheel and console are going to sit.

The console is from an old New Bright Jeep body I had laying around.

And since I enjoy punishing my self I made an Ultra 4 style light box in the back. Turned out good enough for me. Probably going to order a Mad Dog light bar to mount above the windshield. I haven't wired anything up yet.

Last but not least I made a sway bar for the rear to keep this thing from leaning in the turns. Most know you want little to no articulation in the rear so this has helped so far. It is raw steel right now, I will paint it in the future to keep rust from eating it alive. The rod ends are from an old Kyosho kit I had. They seem to fit the bill nicely.

Things are slowing down for me for now so hope to have some more done to this in the next few weeks. But these things are never really completed.
Thanks for looking.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:55 AM   #31
Rock Stacker

I am going to keep the flat olive green paint for the body but it was looking a little rough. Smoothed out some of the extra bumps in the mold from the factory, sanded it and got some paint on it. A few runs but Im good with that. Sometimes I feel painting a full size car is easier than these little guys. I am going to paint the hard top tan. Always loved the look of that. Also got my Mad Dog 5" light bar installed and wired up. I will post more pics when the paint is done. Its always one step forward and two steps back some days. I was looking through my rattle can paint selection and a full spray can fell off the shelf and busted up my already haggard styrene interior. This Jeep has been running good for me though. Its almost 2 years in the making so I hope the end is near. I am working on a solid rear axle tube frame trophy truck at the moment too so i am trying to get this done.

Thanks for looking.

Here is a teaser shot.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:33 AM   #32
Pebble Pounder

Lets jump back a few posts to the 1:1 Jeep race. What are you running there? I gotta see a pic. How'd the race turn out?
Old 11-11-2015, 01:13 PM   #33
RCC Addict

How can I have missed this amazing build. Those axles and rims are just works of art.. The 12 picture of the jeep coming over the rocks, looks so real!!!!

Sent from my 2500HD
rocpede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 01:55 PM   #34
RCC Addict

Location: Long Island-Land of one batch of rocks in Sag Harbor and at least one fellow crawler

This thing is awesome in so many ways. I love the axles!!!! Great work.
eddievedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 03:58 PM   #35
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Lets jump back a few posts to the 1:1 Jeep race. What are you running there? I gotta see a pic. How'd the race turn out?

Tuff truck. Some jumps and turns and a few odd ball obstacles. Runs can last anywhere from 20 seconds to over a minute. Its a somewhat bone stock 98 Jeep Cherokee. No engine swaps or modifications. No coil-overs or resi shocks.
Basically gutted with a cage.
That race was the last of the season. Finished 3rd out of about 20 trucks. Got 3rd place in points standings for the year. I was happy with that.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:02 PM   #36
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocpede View Post
How can I have missed this amazing build. Those axles and rims are just works of art.. The 12 picture of the jeep coming over the rocks, looks so real!!!!

Sent from my 2500HD

Works of art that are taking a beating. Thanks for the compliments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddievedder View Post
This thing is awesome in so many ways. I love the axles!!!! Great work.

Thank you!!
Old 11-11-2015, 05:05 PM   #37
RCC Addict

Nice Cherokee!! That's really good for being bone stock... I can't wait to start working on my 2nd Jeep Grand Cherokee..

Sent from my 2500HD
rocpede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 10:42 AM   #38
Pebble Pounder

Tuff Truck would be a blast. I have looked into the Bro Lite series as well. The only problem with the Bro Lite is you can only run a Ford. Congrats on the 3rd for the series.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:22 AM   #39
Rock Stacker

Default Hacked and Abused YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocpede View Post
Nice Cherokee!! That's really good for being bone stock... I can't wait to start working on my 2nd Jeep Grand Cherokee..

Sent from my 2500HD

Thanks! I have always loved Grands. Nothing like wheeling in luxury. My cherokee is far from bone stock but performance wise its pretty much stock

Quote:
Tuff Truck would be a blast. I have looked into the Bro Lite series as well. The only problem with the Bro Lite is you can only run a Ford. Congrats on the 3rd for the series.

The Bro lites are almost identical to what class I race in except its open to any make and model. Thank you for the kind words. Hows the YJ coming along?
Old 11-16-2015, 10:30 AM   #40
Rock Stacker

Finished painting (or repainting) this thing. Took it out for a little spin this morning. Still handles great. I left the front diff open airing on the side of caution so i wouldn't destroy any thing in the front axle. But it is really hampering its crawl ability. Going to have to lock it up I think. The Mad Dog light bar is so cool. Lights up the night real good. Give these guys your money. Its worth it.

Heres a few quick shots i snagged today.

Here I am stuck with 3 wheels spinning.

Close up of the Spydertrax hubs installed.

Thanks for looking.

Hacked and Abused YJ - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Used and Abused 2 speed Rock-Lockster Axial Wraith 13 11-13-2012 08:55 PM
do your scaler actually get used or abused josh hayes General Scale Talk 43 10-20-2009 05:14 PM