Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Micro Racer's 1.9 Wraith Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2016, 05:46 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Micro Racer's 1.9 Wraith Build

I think the MIP flapper style pistons are a better design, I've used the RPMs years ago and they were too fussy, I got a good setup without them.

EDIT (again...sorry): Check out how this guy stood his VP steering servo mount upright. I have not tried this, but am about to try it too.
Userid Metalry101 has Ascender section thread on his 1.9 Wraith with Ascender axles, titled Wrascenderaith. Hence I called my start of a thread Natedog's 1.9 Wrascenderaith. Keep up the good work!

Wrascenderaith?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Foot View Post
And that's why, perhaps, I'm destroying all that stuff: I'm using a 32p gmade transmission, wich is, guess what, without slipper
I don't like slippers, I prefer to just control and watch when it's in a bind let off...but that is hard on the driveline during full throttle acceleration lol.

Last edited by Natedog; 05-12-2016 at 06:06 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2016, 06:06 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Edited couple times, sorry. I like how that guy rotated the steering servo mount.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:14 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro racer View Post
I have another interesting one here:

In the mean time, I ended up buying the 1.9 Deuces Wild for the TSL XLs, but I don't have tires yet; I should be picking up the KR2s tomorrow. That just leaves wheels and then I will be set for rolling stock. I really want to keep something like the CRC 6 spokes I have on it now, but I can't find anything quite like them as a beadlock. The closest I have seen are the Gearhead BTR TTs, but they are silver and I want black. Please let me know if anybody makes something like the CRCs in black aluminum!
THat chip out of the drive cup is prolly from steering too far for the dogbone setup, look at the inner axle where it's polished from the cup rubbing it at full steering lock. Buy a set of SSD CVDs.
HD CVD Axles for SCX10 / D60 Axle

SSD RC also has several very nice beadlocks in all black, I've used their wheels and they are very good too.
WHEELS
Old 02-08-2017, 12:45 AM   #24
Rock Crawler

Just a quick update here: I broke more stuff! At least it wasn't another axle housing...

At this point, I can't decide quite what to do. I can simply replace this single idler with a Robinson gear, I can change the entire transmission gearset to the Axial machined set, or I am even contemplating a move to SSD's high ratio transmission. Obviously, the RR gear is the least expensive, and the steel idler shouldn't wear down the plastic diff gear, but that of course leaves me with the plastic diff gear to take all of the shock in the trans. Going to a full Axial set would be nice and easy, and is still not too expensive, but it is almost the cost of the full SSD transmission. Overall, I'm thinking that the SSD high ratio trans is the best option, since I would be getting a much sturdier trans case, all metal gears, and a way to run underdrive without compensating at my pinion and spur...

Any other suggestions, something I might have missed?

Last edited by micro racer; 10-14-2017 at 08:31 PM.
micro racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:46 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

Have you priced the HOT RACING gear set for the axial trans? I think I gave like 30 or 40 bucks and they really are great gears.
rngrchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:39 AM   #26
Rock Crawler

Ah, I actually forgot that those existed... Tower says they're $33.88 (non-lightened version), so that's pretty good. (I also work at a hobby shop so I can really knock off xx% for an employee discount on top of that price.) I might actually go with a set of those gears, because I can pick up another set for my Dingo at the same time and still come out at or slightly under the cost of the full SSD transmission...

Excellent idea rngrchad, ten points to Gryffindor!!
Old 02-09-2017, 11:12 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

HR lightweight steel gearset or SSD full transmission!
Old 10-14-2017, 11:21 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

Unfortunately, it's time for me to end this build... Life, as usual, seems to have gotten in the way and I simply can't keep a truck that I built specifically (more or less) to eat parts. On the bright side, I got to finish up all of my suspension work before Axialfest, and was able to run it in the Rock Racing (failed epically in the first corner, first lap ) and on two trails, and it performed perfectly!

A few months before Axialfest, I picked up the Hot Racing transmission gears, after I destroyed my idler gear. When I first ran the truck in my backyard with them installed, it sounded like a GT3 car with its straight cut gearbox; ie. I yanked full throttle and could hear the transmission whining. I assume the HR gears are cut so that they lap together for smooth running, and the trans did eventually quiet down, but the first few runs sounded really cool.

Oops, let me step back a second... THIS:

-was the first run with the new HR gears and 3s lipo... The rear housing lasted all of, hmmm, lets see:

-a minute and twenty seconds. Yeah, I needed another housing. But otherwise, the new gears were great!!

Anyway, a month before Axialfest, I picked up the HR sway bar set, hoping to keep the rear from rolling so much and causing the truck to traction roll. Like I've mentioned before, I'm totally fine with sacrificing crawlability for high speed performance, so I wasn't worried at all about the sway bar limiting the suspension. I first tried the medium bar in the rear but found it a tab too stiff, and settled on the lightest bar. I didn't at all like the "turnbuckles" that HR gives you in the kit, besides the fact that they were a little too short for my truck, and ended up using some Traxxas (I think Bandit camber) turnbuckles. To mount the links to the axle, I simply used a really long (40mm?) screw through the ball end, a 6mm spacer, and then the lower link mounts.

Note: Also to keep the truck from rolling, I unlocked the front diff and ran heavy grease in the gears. It sucks on the rocks, but worked wonders at speed.

Then, now a few days before Axialfest, I gave my rig a cleaning and overall inspection and found this:

Uhh, it looks bent. Lets confirm that with the flat-plate-o-steel gauge...

Yep. It's bent. A quick run to the hobby shop later and I had a nice, new Axial clamping horn on in place of the HR.

Finally, the truck made it to Axialfest! Unfortunately, I only have one picture of it on trail, and that's at night, lit only by the green night-time setting on my headlamp...

That's my Wraith behind dad's SCX10-Yeti... I had to put together a new Jeep body real quick before Axialfest, after my Deadbolt fell apart, and it is just painted plain white. (I apparently never posted about getting a set of Gearhead BTR TT's at Axialfest 2016, and you can barely see them glinting in the light.)

After Axialfest, I began the final teardown of my truck, eventually trading the frame to my dad, putting the transmission to a build my dad and I donated to our camp-neighbor's kid, and simply throwing most of the axle parts away, as the gears were already shot and the front dogbones exploded... (That inner bearing is also dead)

And there you have it, that's everything! This was a super fun build and required a lot of experimentation in setup to get the truck to handle well, but the best thing was that it was relatively inexpensive. Besides the high-end electronics, the running gear was all RTR take-offs until a part broke. Also, let the record show that I still ran 48p gears with a Pro4 3300Kv on 3s, and the stock WB8 driveshafts, and didn't have any problems with either. Ha! Take that internet!!

Micro Racer's 1.9 Wraith Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Micro Racer's 6x6 Build micro racer Multi Axle Rigs 42 07-21-2020 01:32 AM
Micro Racer's Dingo Build micro racer Axial SCX-10 61 07-25-2016 06:30 PM
Any one used micro t tranny/motor plate for a micro moa build? MattMead Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 7 09-17-2012 01:10 PM
any drag racer's out there? stevew Colorado 17 07-13-2011 08:54 PM