Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Slow 1/10th scale aluminum ZJ body build.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2015, 05:33 PM   #61
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Slow 1/10th scale aluminum ZJ body build.

Metal work is looking good rob, uni-body will be very awesome!!
Kaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2015, 05:46 PM   #62
Pebble Pounder

Thanks Brent, that means a lot coming from the "cage master"!!
Yes, a uni-body rig will definitely be super friggin' COOL!!!
With as much force as I put on just the body when I attempted to twist it by hand, I would guess it is AT LEAST 3 times stronger than the stock Axial chassis!!!
This thing is STOUT!!!!!

...and the outer sheet metal will make it even stronger!!!!
Full Throttle Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:00 AM   #63

Man that looks awesome I know its cool to see you making a metal ZJ body as I drive one everyday and had to settle for the Pro-Line XJ to get as close as possible to the daily driver.
sdhsbaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:11 AM   #64
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhsbaseball View Post
Man that looks awesome I know its cool to see you making a metal ZJ body as I drive one everyday and had to settle for the Pro-Line XJ to get as close as possible to the daily driver.
Thanks!!!
I just couldn't make myself settle for an XJ lid to be "close enough" to my ZJ(her name is "Weezy"), after all, she's not just a Cherokee.... she's a GRAND Cherokee!
Hahaha!
Old 01-01-2016, 04:50 PM   #65
Rock Crawler

Pretty neat ideas... Looking forward to seeing the finished product!
Jeepfixer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 02:45 PM   #66
Pebble Pounder

Thanks Jeepfixer1!!

So, I needed a break from the frustration of trial-and-error on the fenders & rear quarters.

I decided to try my hand at forming the ridges in the middle of the roof section.

The roof section only needs to be 8.75" long at it's longest point(where it meets the center of the windshield), but I cut this piece 10" so I could have a little wiggle room.

I marked out the center line of where I wanted the ribs on both sides of the metal, so I could line it up in the center of one of the grooves in the Clod bed and so I had a line to follow as I used the screen roller to press the ribs into the roof.

I did make some marks for where to start and stop the ribs, but it's hard to see under the roller.

It came out alright, except for 2 things.
I need something to use for stops so all the ribs start and end perfectly in line with each other, and I had the tin-knockers pliers set too tight and put a crease in the metal just from sheer clamping force....

I'm figuring more than likely I'll make another roof panel, but I think I'll trim this one to the shape I need and end up using it as a template.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:41 PM   #67
Pebble Pounder

So, I desperately need to take a break from working on this project.....

I have way too much stress from trying to find a job and worrying how I'm going going to make ends meet(I've never been this broke in my whole 44 years), that I can't seem to wrap my brain around this project, no matter how hard I try to concentrate on it.
For a while this project was keeping my mind off my troubles, but after 6 weeks without steady work nothing can keep my mind focused.

I think I'll be able to do it a lot more justice when I can actually focus on the task at hand.

I tried to work on it more last night, but I got so frustrated with it that I REALLY REALLY wanted to just demolish the whole damn thing with a sledgehammer...

But instead I put it aside and it's safe from me taking my frustrations out on it for the time being.

Hopefully things will turn around 180 degrees soon, but this is the absolute worst time of year to find work in Maine.

Thanks for all the interest in this build and hopefully I'll get my mind back into it soon.

Whining sequence complete, we now return you to your regularly scheduled program.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:39 PM   #68
Pebble Pounder

I can totally understand man! Even lived a short time outside of Augusta unemployed! If you get that feeling of destruction via sledgehammer again, might I suggest going outside and chopping some wood? Keep your head up, and keep crawling!

Sent from my SPH-M830 using Tapatalk
JBcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:57 PM   #69
Rock Crawler

Looking good man. I understand your frustrations but try to not let emotions overlap from one thing to another. Keep your spirits up, things will change soon.
DrewHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:25 PM   #70
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the kind words, guys!!

By the way, you were right!!

At 7:20 this mernin' my phone rang and I was offered a really good job working for a friend who is an electrician!!!

I woke up the whole house when I screamed "FU*KING RIGHT!!!" at the top of my lungs after I hung up the phone!!!!

I started today!!!

It was SUCH a GREAT feeling!!!!

Now I just need to deal with waiting for a withheld-for-a-week first paycheck, and a few weeks of playing catch-up.

Anyways.............
Enough about me, and back to what you actually look at this thread for....
The ZJ body build!!!

Today I decided I will use my "modeler's license"(a model railroading term for making your own changes/adjustments that are different from the prototype that you either hope, or don't care if somebody notices) to make some minor changes in order to make my building process easier.

I'm deleting the curves at the tops of the doors and quarter panels where they roll up into the roof line.
Instead, they will all meet at the edge of the roof panel.

I think this will still give the overall appearance of a ZJ without highlighting the fact that I made changes. I hope.

The other night I was trying to do the complex bend in the tops of the front doors, where the doors roll around to meet the sides of the windshield and roll up into the roof line when I completely lost my cool and almost "brought the hammer down" on it.

I won't be able to do the same with the hatchback, because I won't be able to hide the hinges if I eliminate the roll into the roof line.... So the hatch will be the absolute last panel I will make, which will give me time to figure out just exactly how I'm going to duplicate it's multiple complex curves.

I didn't have time to do anything except think about it today, but maybe I'll get to tinkering tomorrow!!!!!

Last edited by Full Throttle Rob; 01-04-2016 at 06:36 PM. Reason: typo.... I HATE having typo's!!!!!
Old 01-04-2016, 07:15 PM   #71
Pebble Pounder

Congrats on the job rob, that's awesome!! Now get workin on this thing!!
Old 01-04-2016, 07:41 PM   #72
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Throttle Rob View Post
blah blah blah don't hate me for truncating this.
Congrats Dude, there's always work for electricians. If you don't have one already consider getting a journeyman's apprentice license while you're working under this guy. You never know when something like this can come in to play.

I've said for several years that skilled trades are dying and it's only a matter of time until those with the requirements can demand their own paychecks.

So, onto the real topic. As a self proclaimed sheetmetal guy what tools are you using for this? I just bought a Baileigh roll/brake/shear for my employees and want a bead roller as well. Mind sharing what tools you're using? Or maybe perhaps I need to read again.
DrewHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:43 PM   #73
Pebble Pounder

Thanks Drew!
I'm using these:

Linesman's pliers, wire stripper pliers, a screen roller, and tin knocker's pliers.
As I said before, I know squat about working sheet metal. LOL

I have worked in the electrical field before, but when gas hit $4.50/gal here all of the trades took a big hit and I was laid off from the BIG electrical company I was working for.
I ended up bucking tires full time for a few years because no one in the electrical field was hiring around here.
I have held an electrician's helper's license since 1988, until I let it lapse in 2012 due to the fact that no electricians were hiring.
I did a correspondence course to go for my Master's license, but the section on resistance and resistors absolutely blew my mind.
I did the same equation(one equation that stretches all the way across 2 lines of a standard sheet of paper) about 25 times and came up with a different answer every time, so needless to say, I did not advance to become a Journeyman or a Master Electrician.
I have had several Master Electricians, including my Dad, try to help me with that section, but I just cannot grasp the order in which the equation is supposed to be done.

The worst part is, that Maine won't let a Master figure out resistance, it has to be done by a certified electrical engineer and have an engineer's stamp on it....
So that whole section is for not....

Maine is STUPID!!!!!!
Old 01-04-2016, 09:54 PM   #74
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaler View Post
Now get workin on this thing!!

Okay okay....... jeeeeeeez.......

Yes, I'm a dink!!!

But, you knew that Brent......

Last edited by Full Throttle Rob; 01-05-2016 at 05:04 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:03 PM   #75
Pebble Pounder

I got a little time this evening to tinker a little bit!

The more I looked at the roof panel I made the more I said to myself "this isn't going to be a museum piece, you're going to take it out on the rocks and beat the crap out of it, you damn fool".

Sooooo....... I made an executive decision to just use that roof panel, even with the crimp I put in it from having the tin knocker's pliers set too tight, and the(barely noticeable) imperfections in the roof ribs.

I found a perfect round object(a pizza pan) to trace the top windshield curvature onto the roof panel, scored and separated it, and curved the front of it down so it matches the A pillar angle.

I ran a few beads of Shoe Goo on the superstructure...

Then lined up the panel where I wanted it and taped it in place, being careful to try to keep the edges of the panel straight, so the doors and rear quarters will line up nicely with the roof panel without having high and low spots(I hope.).

I looked it over for a few minutes and decided that the center of the roof was too high compared to the edges, so I took 7 of my batteries and weighed the center down to a more acceptable level.

Now it's "hurry up and wait" for the Shoe Goo to dry.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:42 PM   #76
Pebble Pounder

Hey rob, is this the kind of bend your looking for on the top of the doors? If so I've found a pretty neat way to do it.
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2016, 04:48 PM   #77
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Hey rob, is this the kind of bend your looking for on the top of the doors? If so I've found a pretty neat way to do it.
AAAAAWWWWEEESSSOOOMMMMEEEEE!!!!!!!
Enlighten me, oh mighty metal master!!!!
Old 01-06-2016, 05:05 PM   #78
Pebble Pounder

Swing by the shop late in the day when you get a chance and i'll show you. We'll have to fine tune it to what you need, but came out pretty good for the first try.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:15 PM   #79
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Swing by the shop late in the day when you get a chance and i'll show you. We'll have to fine tune it to what you need, but came out pretty good for the first try.

That's a little more than pretty good, especially for a first try!!!
See you tomorrow!!!
Old 01-07-2016, 07:14 PM   #80
Pebble Pounder

Today I really didn't accomplish much, due to a long work day and prior commitments for this evening.
The only thing I managed to do was stop by the hardware store and pick up four 4mm long 2mm screws to replace the stupid long 2mm screws I had holding the inner hatch panel on.
I put loctite on those 4 screws.
Attached Images

Slow 1/10th scale aluminum ZJ body build. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
10th scale rules for a build Bamfapotamus Newbie General 2 03-05-2009 01:31 PM
1/10th Scale Tonka Build edward87 Newbie General 14 07-29-2007 10:51 AM
1/10th scale body srfrkyle1234 Newbie General 4 11-21-2006 10:06 AM