Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: BadWagon | C2 Hilux Truggy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2016, 06:24 AM   #101
Rock Crawler

Default Re: BadWagon | C2 Hilux Truggy

It was late at this point but I had to see how these were shaping up...

Ok so at this point my pretty pleased with my progress and just have to see how it all lines up in the cab. Sleep can wait.

Not too shabby!! I'm definitely pleased with my progress last night. I can't believe what a huge difference the door panels make, they bring the whole interior together. I think they really add a finishing touch, and they aren't even completed yet.

I have quite a bit to do still... The panels sit about 1/4" too high and so the cranks will need to be repositioned (again). The passenger side crank is awfully close to the top of the cooler.

Never know, it could get power windows before it's all said and done. We'll see how it looks when they are moved.

I also have to make the arm rests/door pulls for each door. Those shouldn't be hard. I swear I had a set from some kit, but I can't find them. Oh well.

Once that's done, I can fill the holes and do some final sanding and tweaking before crossing them off of my list.

I'm really stoked on the progress I made last night. I'm not as fast as a lot of y'all, but at least I'm moving forward again. It's so much better than staring at the rig and scratching my head.

Cheers!
BadWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2016, 09:38 AM   #102
Rock Crawler

Quick update...

I wanted to get the height of the door panels locked in before my in-laws get in town this afternoon. As I don't know I won't have the time I'd like this weekend, plus I didn't want to "loose my place".

So this morning I snuck out to the shop and made a few adjustments.

First was to determine the correct height and position for the panels in relation to the cab. Once I had that nailed down, I drilled 2 holes per side and ran small bolts in so the panels are locked in place.

Pretty simple. But effective. Now I can take it apart to finish the details knowing it's gonna be in the right position.

Dude fits just fine, and yes I tested it with him in the interior so I knew it would line up. Honestly the interior didn't move with him in it. Good to know moving forward.

The cranks I have aren't gonna work where I had them, I think I'm gonna have to go to power windows. I'm not 100% yet.

I tossed it in and test fit it inside the cab.

I also clearanced the passenger side so the ESC would clear the panel.

Fits like a glove...

That's all for now, hopefully I'll have time to finish the panels tonight.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:54 AM   #103
Quarry Creeper

Your building skills are impressive

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
Johan_Eriksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:11 AM   #104
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan_Eriksson View Post
Your building skills are impressive

Thanks Johan!

This is my first build with any real detail and modeling. I'm learning so much with each step.
Old 10-02-2016, 01:39 PM   #105
Rock Crawler

With the inlaws in town, and scouts getting into full swing, time is a bit short this weekend. I however find the time to ruin the window cranks I had... which is a good thing as they didn't look or fit correctly.

I found a little time yesterday to bang out some cranks. Sorry for the limited pics. I'll get better ones when I have time.

Super simple but they meet my requirements:
1. they kinda resemble the cranks on these Toyotas

2. The cranks clear the cooler, and don't look out of place. It's tight, yes, but they clear and turn.

3. I didn't have to drill another set of holes.

Hopefully I'll have some time tonight to tinker.

Cheers
Old 10-06-2016, 06:36 AM   #106
Rock Crawler

Default BadWagon | C2 Hilux Truggy

Small interior update...

One item that I've been avoiding, but knew I wanted to add is back lighting to the dash. I knew that opening up the dash would be a pain, as I hadn't planned on it when i started on the interior.

I had some time, a full cup of coffee and a bit of confidence yesterday and jumped in.

I drilled a few holes and used the cut off wheel on the dremel to get a basic shape. Then the files came out to refine the hole. This will be a start.

I had already chosen the gauge decal I wanted to use, I'd collected quite a few over the past few months, so I based the shape of the hole off of it.

So when I got to here, I was less than thrilled. It lacked depth, and when back lit it would show through the whole decal... weak.

Out came the black styrene, and some paper for a template.

Ok, so that's a start. It'll mask off the lighting, but the gauges still look unfinished. Hmmmm what if we add a hole for the Toyota logo and put it in front of the gauges as a bezel?

Cut the decals so it'll fit properly. It was just a tad off.

A little clear styrene for glass...

We have depth.

But this is a turk for comping. It's modified. Gotta take care of that motor, and Cato is a technical driver... so we need a tach.

It's opened up and hopefully the light from the LED will get up there and light up the gauge when it's all said and done.

I'm digging it. Placement isn't 100% where I'd like to have it, but I can live with it. It's not a deal breaker.

I also addressed the issue of the heater/AC controls. They were brittle, and I'd already knocked 2 of the 4 off. I drilled holes for the controls and made the sticks. They'll get installed once it's painted.

Overall I'm pleased with the progress I made yesterday. I feel like I've turned a corner with the dash cut out and the tach made. I'm not on the homestretch with the interior yet, but I'm close.

My punch list for the interior is getting shorter:
- finish the door panels (a couple surprises here)
- make the light boxes for behind the dash
- install the shifters
- seat belts
- finalize securing the driver

Then it's on to final sanding and paint. I've ordered some Citadel and AK Interactive washes. I'm hoping these will help me bring out the detail and finish this interior. We'll see how it goes. For now I'll keep banging on the details until the paint arrives.

Cheers!!

Last edited by BadWagon; 10-06-2016 at 06:46 AM.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:22 PM   #107
I wanna be Dave

BW.......I love the homemade details! Don't see much of this anymore due to 3D printing and lexan.
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:51 PM   #108
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaclip View Post
BW.......I love the homemade details! Don't see much of this anymore due to 3D printing and lexan.

Thanks 'clip! I dig modeling the details. It's addictive. It'll be heavy, but it should be low enough to handle it.

No lexan, That's for my vintage tamiya buggies.

Little peek at what I'm working on...

Old 10-06-2016, 11:36 PM   #109
Rock Crawler

Default BadWagon | C2 Hilux Truggy

Alrighty, I've gotten a good bit done. I'm so close to paint. Argh... I can't wait.

Door panels... they are done as far as they can be until they're painted. Top of the panels are widened to utilize Imthatguy's friction method for helping to secure the interior. It also makes door locks an easy mod that I think looks great.

I also made and mounted (twice... stupid cooler. I thought I'd compensated for it. Nope) the armrest/door pulls. I also installed the sticks though they may get moved just a tad.

Here's a few interior shots:

Next I needed to check the fit in the cab with the glass. After a bit of massaging, I think the fit is good minus the driver's door panel. It needs to come down just a hair. That shouldn't be a problem. I can bang that out in the morning.

I'm digging it. I think it's gonna do just fine. I did have to address where the interior sits at the back. It's stronger and easier to get that interior in and out. Winning.

And the last item for tonight...

That's right. The dash lights and boxes are made. Pretty simple really. I used the 12v grain of wheat bulbs. They're awesome. Great hue.

Pretty simple as far as the boxes go.

The two lights for the gauges (looked better than just one in the middle) and one for the tach. It goes up the tube which is also the mount for the gauge.

There is just a tad bit of bleed without primer and paint.

That shouldn't be an issue after paint.

I hope.

But it's worth it!

That's all I've got for tonight.

Cheers!!
Old 10-06-2016, 11:40 PM   #110
Quarry Creeper

Wow great panel!!!!!

Johan_Eriksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:28 AM   #111
Sinking with the ship

killing it on the interior work man, great job on nailing down all the small details
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 01:33 PM   #112
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan_Eriksson View Post
Wow great panel!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
killing it on the interior work man, great job on nailing down all the small details

Thank you fellas!

1BJB, I've obviously gotten a lot of inspiration from your interiors. Thanks so much for the props and threads over the years.

I'm cranking along as much as possible. I've kind of gotten in go mode with the interior, and feel like it's all coming together.

I love these stages in projects where all of these little pieces that you've been working on, start to come together. You see the light at the end of the tunnel and just start going as fast as you can.

That's where I feel like I am with the interior.

But, I have a question... my seat belts.

These were given to my by my buddy Marcus, I think with a little weathering and perhaps some decals they could be great... or are they too nice for this build?

I'm gonna take a bit to work on some other items then come back to the seat belts.

Please chime in and let me know your opinions.

Thanks!!
Old 10-08-2016, 09:35 AM   #113
Pebble Pounder

Honestly those are some awesome belts... but I feel like 5 point harnesses with bench seats don't fit the build style. If you were running racing seats, go for it. In this case I would say maybe run a heavy duty "lap belt" or traditional cross shoulder belt. Just my .02 cents. Loving this build, you killed that interior work! So nice!

On a side note: For the light bleed out you could always put some foil tape inside the gage bay. that would be easy and block everything

Last edited by mr.rick; 10-08-2016 at 09:37 AM.
mr.rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:01 PM   #114
Oppan Gangnam Style

Damn nice work sir, damn nice! Youve got some styrene sklls my friend. Looking forward to seeing more on this.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:57 AM   #115
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.rick View Post
Honestly those are some awesome belts... but I feel like 5 point harnesses with bench seats don't fit the build style. If you were running racing seats, go for it. In this case I would say maybe run a heavy duty "lap belt" or traditional cross shoulder belt. Just my .02 cents. Loving this build, you killed that interior work! So nice!

On a side note: For the light bleed out you could always put some foil tape inside the gage bay. that would be easy and block everything

Thanks for props! I'm gonna whip up a simple 3 point belt and try them both out when I get to assembly. I have the same feeling... the 5 points just doesn't seem to fit the build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63 View Post
Damn nice work sir, damn nice! Youve got some styrene sklls my friend. Looking forward to seeing more on this.

Thanks Dean! Means a lot coming from one of the OG scale crawlers.

Update time!!

So I think I'm pretty much done with the basic modeling of the interior. I'm sure there will be a few odds and ends, but for the most part it's done.

The last major item to be completed was the steering column and trim panel. First I aligned the steering wheel and after some tinkering got it done and a mount made.

It's removable, which is handy for painting, etc.

Next I looked at my reference pics and decided to add some details. First were two knobs on the left of the wheel.

Easy enough, though I'm a little bummed as they shifted while they were setting and are just a tad askew. Oh well.

Then the hard part. No idea why, but this took me several attempts. I think it's because I didn't have a good reference pic, and was going off of memory. However, I finally got the parking brake lever in a shape I could live with.

Next was the column itself. I had to flip it, which meant I had to move the sticks on the column so the ignition switch would fit. It was easier than expected.

And all together for a test fit.

That'll work. I had to point the parking brake lever towards the passenger side so that the other keys I made will have room to hang down.

Then some sanding, filling and more sanding, some washing and then this happened.

Detail pieces are in primer!!! Woot!!

While it dries... the boys and I colored. My iron man:

Flat black on some parts.

White on the cooler:

Primer on the big parts.

I was so excited, I stayed up while it dried so I could see where I was and what areas will need more attention.

There definitely are areas which will need more filler and sanding. Mostly in the areas that I did first. Seems I've gotten better as the build has progressed. I'll hit these this afternoon after I get through my honey do list.

Cooler is sprayed in white and ready for weathering.

So that's where I sit at the moment. I'll address the seatbelt when I get to assembly. Im thinking I'll go with a simple 3 point belt. I think it'll fit the build better.

Cheers!!
Old 10-09-2016, 10:18 PM   #116
Rock Crawler

Small update:

Problem areas have been addressed.

Fresh primer

Ok we can work with this...

Some touch ups

Oh and the first coat of base is on...

And I finished my first full scratch built part...

The tach.

Woot!!!

I'm into paint! Oh man this feels good. I'm excited, and it's gonna come together. Lots more painting to go, but I'm finally here.

The rest of my weathering washes and stuff should be here on Tuesday. I'm going to let everything cure for a day or so, then I'll start on the two tone.

Cheers!
Old 10-10-2016, 09:40 PM   #117
Rock Crawler

So, I went to Hobby Lobby today and picked up a few paints I needed and some odds and ends. I wanted to try a technique on building up the color in Washes for the two tone. One is to be a darker brown...

Well, we have a problem. By we I mean me, and I made a big, stupid mistake. The paint I used for the base is NOT playing well with my other paints.

Just putting on a light wash coat and it started to eat the cream base coat. Which is only a problem because it's on every major interior part. The dash/seat part, the door panels, the window cranks, the pulls, even the door locks.

I used a Krylon MAXX paint. Just because I liked the color. I've used the cheap rattle cans before without an issue with all kinds of model paints. Something is this one just doesn't agree.

Sooooo... that's a bummer. Just stupid. I knew better than to try a new paint for a base on this build.

I've tested a few other ideas.

I cleared a part with Testors matte clear, let it dry... seemed ok.

As soon as I add another paint it freaks out.

Citadel wash... gets furry.

Testors paint, gums up.

I think I can get it off with thinner, compressed air and a tooth brush. Then wash the parts off quickly. I am afraid the parts will soften and deform during this process. But I don't really know of another option.

I tested it on one part and it worked ok... we may loose a little detail. We'll see soon enough.

I'm gonna call it for tonight and get back at it in the morning. Yes I'm frustrated, but I know I can fix it. There's nothing that couldn't be rebuilt, better. Though, I'd like to save this one if possible.

Gotta end on a high note right?

Alright...

The bright side?

The cooler turned out ok for my first weathering job. Just a basic wash and some attention.

Hey it's something.

Any ideas, tips, tricks or whatever... now is the time to post them up. Don't hold out on me. Lol

Cheers!
Old 10-11-2016, 01:14 PM   #118
Rock Crawler

Ok, I barely slept last night, I was so pissed/worried about my mishap. So I spent a few hours this afternoon trying to salvage the interior. I'm happy to announce that I was indeed able to save it!

I'll do one more cleaning cycle with it for sure. There are a few detail pieces which I'll have to repair, some filling/sanding to redo, but for the most part it's intact.

So from here, now that I know I won't be starting over from scratch, I'm going to do some more research and figure out which paints and techniques I can use with the paints and supplies I have.

I think what screwed me to such an extreme was that I used thinner to thin the Testors paint. I also believe that the base paint was so thick it never fully cured, thus also reacting to the water based paints.

What I have are Testors paints (rattle cans and bottles) Citadel shades and some AK Interactive grim textures.

Any help, recommendations, tutorials, links, phone calls what ever, are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for following along on this journey.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:32 PM   #119
Quarry Creeper

Damn man glad you saved it!! I don't have much experience with model paint, sorry I can't be more help there!

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
LamChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:01 AM   #120
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamChop View Post
Damn man glad you saved it!! I don't have much experience with model paint, sorry I can't be more help there!

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

All good 'Chop! I spent some time reading up and watching videos yesterday so I think I'm good to go. I also went out to Hobby Lobby to pick up some new paints and such.

I scooped up the Vallejo model color paints. They are acrylic and I've seen quite a few people use them in tutorials online. As I don't have a Tamiya paint dealer close to me, this is the best option I have.

My Washes also arrived last night, though I did have to chase the mail lady for them. Lol.

Woot!!

So the interior is sitting in putty, which I let cure overnight. As my nephew said last night "it'll only get better the longer it sits". He's right, so I didn't rush to sanding

It's all back together, and I'm gonna use this opportunity to add a few details. Then, I'll commence painting round 2.

Cheers!

BadWagon | C2 Hilux Truggy - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hilux Scaler Towing Hilux Truggy (douggy truggy) by heinie_21 heinie_21 Videos! 10 02-18-2013 02:15 AM