Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Poprivet's first full tuber named U.N.C.L.E.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2016, 07:18 PM   #241
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Poprivet's first full tuber named U.N.C.L.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poprivet View Post
That's definitely another option.
DOM or the stainless tubing CODYBOY uses looks promising to. It might be a while before i can do another build like this one. So i have some time to decide.
I think the most important factor to consider is the wall thickness, you want at to use at least .035. I think that is your biggest problem with the brake line. I would be willing to bet that it is only .020 thick. I have used .020 3/16 tubing to save weight but in areas that are not as exposed as your top.
I have some 3/16" ss rod that you could use to replace that bent brake line and I promise you will not be able to bend it in a comp!!
Ernie,
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2016, 07:21 PM   #242
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
cool thing about brazing is you can torch stuff off. killer rig...
Thank you sir.

Yeah, the tube that broke will be easy enough. It's the two down the sides that some 16 tubes are attached to that suck. Unfortunately there's no way i can just torch those off.
I'll straighten them best i can and maybe put in a couple more tubes for support.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:26 PM   #243
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
I think the most important factor to consider is the wall thickness, you want at to use at least .035. I think that is your biggest problem with the brake line. I would be willing to bet that it is only .020 thick. I have used .020 3/16 tubing to save weight but in areas that are not as exposed as your top.
I have some 3/16" ss rod that you could use to replace that bent brake line and I promise you will not be able to bend it in a comp!!
Ernie,
I think your right. Even mild steel with a thicker wall would be stronger. I do plan on replacing the broken piece with solid rod, but hadn't considered stainless rod.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:07 PM   #244
Rock Crawler

Be a man and use a 110 wire welder with flux core wire It's fun picking all the little dingle berries off after you tack something together
and it'll make you a Picasso with the Dremel.

I've noticed a big difference in hardness in different brands of 3/16" brake line. Living in the rust belt, I do a lot of brake line replacements on cars. I've gotten line that's so soft that it's almost impossible to get a good double flair on the ends and you can freehand bend the hell out of it, but I bought a roll of aluminized line a while back that's super hard. I've made several sets of sliders and a roll bar out of it, and nothing has yet to bend, and as you know if I'm not rolling down a hill, I'm running off a cliff

By the way, did you try the pencil trick?
Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:17 PM   #245
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepiac View Post
Be a man and use a 110 wire welder with flux core wire It's fun picking all the little dingle berries off after you tack something together
and it'll make you a Picasso with the Dremel.

I've noticed a big difference in hardness in different brands of 3/16" brake line. Living in the rust belt, I do a lot of brake line replacements on cars. I've gotten line that's so soft that it's almost impossible to get a good double flair on the ends and you can freehand bend the hell out of it, but I bought a roll of aluminized line a while back that's super hard. I've made several sets of sliders and a roll bar out of it, and nothing has yet to bend, and as you know if I'm not rolling down a hill, I'm running off a cliff

By the way, did you try the pencil trick?
Oh man, the dingle berries. Just make sure you dont confuse em with your dangle berries.

The first cage i built for the Lil' TJ was solid rod mig welded. Not even flux core and the cleanup was painstaking. No dremel, but an air die grinder, and tiny slivers all in my shirt.

As for the tubing. Autozone must only carry the weak stuff.

And you will have to refresh my memory on the pencil trick...Drugs are bad, mmkay!

Last edited by Poprivet; 07-17-2016 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:27 PM   #246
Rock Crawler

When brazing draw a line around the tube where you want the weld to stop. I've done it for years, and it works as long as you don't get crazy and lay a big ole gob down and chase it around with the torch
Old 07-17-2016, 08:30 PM   #247
Quarry Creeper

Oh yeah! I remember now. I will give it a shot for sure.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:08 PM   #248
I wanna be Dave

Just wanted to show you how I did on your front axle up grade. I think your going to owe me a beer when we get together in October, and I'm not even that big of a drinker. These tubes fought me all day. To begin with, I only had two brass tubes that had a small enough ID to work for this, so no margin for error. I measured 8 times and cut once. Then I tried drilling out for the bearings on the drill press and couldn't hold the brass tubes tight enough in my vice to keep the bit from grabbing and spinning the tubes. So here my brain goes, "A mile a minute"
I need two chucks, one to hold the brass tube and one to hold the 11mm drill bit. My little HF metal lathe is to small to get this all set up in!!
Sooooooooooo off to the good old wood lathe, it has a 48" bed. I mounted the drill chuck from the HF lathe in the spindle end with the brass tube in it and the drill chuck from the wood lathe in its tail stock with the 11mm bit in it. It worked great!!!!
Here is what I finished with.

All and all I enjoyed the challenge . Pins will be at 8 3/8". Waiting on the ascender c hubs and then will get it and some SS 3/16" rod off to you.
Ernie,
Old 07-18-2016, 08:19 PM   #249
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Just wanted to show you how I did on your front axle up grade. I think your going to owe me a beer when we get together in October, and I'm not even that big of a drinker. These tubes fought me all day. To begin with, I only had two brass tubes that had a small enough ID to work for this, so no margin for error. I measured 8 times and cut once. Then I tried drilling out for the bearings on the drill press and couldn't hold the brass tubes tight enough in my vice to keep the bit from grabbing and spinning the tubes. So here my brain goes, "A mile a minute"
I need two chucks, one to hold the brass tube and one to hold the 11mm drill bit. My little HF metal lathe is to small to get this all set up in!!
Sooooooooooo off to the good old wood lathe, it has a 48" bed. I mounted the drill chuck from the HF lathe in the spindle end with the brass tube in it and the drill chuck from the wood lathe in its tail stock with the 11mm bit in it. It worked great!!!!
Here is what I finished with.

All and all I enjoyed the challenge . Pins will be at 8 3/8". Waiting on the ascender c hubs and then will get it and some SS 3/16" rod off to you.
Ernie,
Have i mentioned that you are the coolest dude I've never had the honor of meeting. Looking forward to that in October. I dont suppose you'll be here for crawl-a-palooza will you? You would love it.

Really nice work Ernie! Sorry they gave you trouble, but like me i think you enjoy the problem solving. You knocked this one out of the park.

Thank you Ernie.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:57 PM   #250
Rock Crawler

Ernie, I'm with, Poprivet. Love to see you at Crawl-a-palooza! Maybe a few of us could get your autograph If you can make it, I guarantee you wont regret it
Old 07-18-2016, 09:42 PM   #251
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Have i mentioned that you are the coolest dude I've never had the honor of meeting. Looking forward to that in October. I dont suppose you'll be here for crawl-a-palooza will you? You would love it.

Really nice work Ernie! Sorry they gave you trouble, but like me i think you enjoy the problem solving. You knocked this one out of the park.

Thank you Ernie.
Thanks bud, you're going to make me tear up. All part of passing it forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepiac View Post
Ernie, I'm with, Poprivet. Love to see you at Crawl-a-palooza! Maybe a few of us could get your autograph If you can make it, I guarantee you wont regret it
Well, stranger things have happened???
Old 07-21-2016, 09:17 PM   #252
I wanna be Dave

Hey Poprivet, I thought I would post this up on your thread so maybe we can help someone else.
So I told Poprivet that I didn't drill the brass tubes to fit in his axle housings, so that he could clock them to what ever works best for uncle. So here is how I make sure both sides are clocked at the same angle when I do my ascender weighted axles.
I hope 4 photos are worth a thousand words.

I start by screwing the C hub to the brass so it doesn't spin on the brass.

Next I cut a couple pieces of piano wire the same length and slide them into the C hub\knuckle mounting holes. Now you can turn the brass inside the housing to the angle you want. Here they are clock in opposite directions.

Here they are clock the same direction.

A little more clocking, and here you could use a angle gage to see what your degree of angle is. Hope this makes since to you guys!
Ernie,

Last edited by CODYBOY; 07-21-2016 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:35 PM   #253
Quarry Creeper

There's the tip of the week! Great idea. Thank you for posting it. That definitely beats my eyeball engineering.

FYI i found a small package of 4 different diameter pieces of piano wire at home depot.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:05 PM   #254
I wanna be Dave

Hey Poprivet, I put the xr steering mod on my ascender today and thought I would show you how I had to mod the knuckle just a little. I'm using Tamiya shoulder screws and had to shave just a little off the top of the knuckle for the screw shoulder to go all the way through. A few pics.
The shoulder screws are TA04 king pins. Part # TAM50882 from RCP Hobbies. I have 4 sets ordered if you want to wait on them.

Next two show where I shaved the knuckle

What they look like on my Bulldog Bronco.

On this one you can see where I turned the knuckle to make room for Brake weights.

Thought you might like this info when you get your package.
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 07-23-2016 at 09:11 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:11 PM   #255
Quarry Creeper

Good to know. if i cant make it work with something here ill let you know.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:56 AM   #256
Quarry Creeper

i need to come take a look at what your doing so i can come steel some ideas for my Comanche front end
big bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:13 PM   #257
Quarry Creeper

Thanks again Ernie!
The "Ernie Tubes" fit great. I did have to drill new holes through the c-hub and into the tubes a little farther inward to miss the bearing. I stripped two of the original holes out when i bottomed out on the bearing.

Here's what i came up with for attaching the ssd wraith knuckles to the ascender c-hubs.
I wanted to keep the bushings so i ground and filed the ascender c-hubs on top and bottom. It took awhile to get the angles right with the knuckles without binding on the bushings. Using an angle grinder and hand file i finally got them nice and smooth with no rubbing/binding.

I also had to take a drill bit and slightly counter sink the top and bottom of the knuckles for the screw heads. I think because i took a little to much material off trying to get the angles right.

End result works great. This allowed me to move the axle side panhard mount about 3/4" farther out. The panhard angle is still too far off from the steering link so i still have about the same bumpsteer, but i will move the chassis side panhard mount to straighten that out...eventually.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:02 PM   #258
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks again Ernie!
The "Ernie Tubes" fit great. I did have to drill new holes through the c-hub and into the tubes a little farther inward to miss the bearing. I stripped two of the original holes out when i bottomed out on the bearing.

Here's what i came up with for attaching the ssd wraith knuckles to the ascender c-hubs.
I wanted to keep the bushings so i ground and filed the ascender c-hubs on top and bottom. It took awhile to get the angles right with the knuckles without binding on the bushings. Using an angle grinder and hand file i finally got them nice and smooth with no rubbing/binding.

I also had to take a drill bit and slightly counter sink the top and bottom of the knuckles for the screw heads. I think because i took a little to much material off trying to get the angles right.

End result works great. This allowed me to move the axle side panhard mount about 3/4" farther out. The panhard angle is still too far off from the steering link so i still have about the same bumpsteer, but i will move the chassis side panhard mount to straighten that out...eventually.
Good job on making the mod your own. I was going to warn you about the screws needing to be ground a little more, but I for got. I also got the tolerance pretty tight on the bearing race, once it is in there it is a pita to get out. Nice fix on moving the holes back on the c hubs.
Hope it all works out for uncle, I know he really wants to go fast and crawl higher!!!
Ernie,

Last edited by CODYBOY; 07-27-2016 at 11:10 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:05 AM   #259
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Good job on making the mod your own. I was going to warn you about the screws needing to be ground a little more, but I for got. I also got the tolerance pretty tight on the bearing race, once it is in there it is a pita to get out. Nice fix on moving the holes back on the c hubs.
Hope it all works out for uncle, I know he really wants to go fast and crawl higher!!!
Ernie,
So far so good! ill get some temporary links made up tonight (maybe).

I am also adding wheel weight by way of lead sticky back weights. (I know i know ) but i do want this thing to be able to crawl, and with all the weight up high i need something to help keep the tires on the rocks.

I eventually would like to go with the Vanquish knuckles and bolt on brass weights, some 2 stage foams, and voodoo klr's. Not in the budget right now so doing what i can with what i got.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:06 PM   #260
Quarry Creeper

For those interested in knowing how i weight my wheels...

Here's the weights i use.

Here's how i stick'em and the groove i put in the foams.

Here's how i do's the groove.

Thanks for looking!

Poprivet's first full tuber named U.N.C.L.E. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SUPER TUBER NAMED TSR-"tequila sun rise" AxialJeepster 1.9 Scale Rigs 15 07-22-2012 08:12 PM
Full Skin Tuber? Double J Chit Chat 9 11-22-2006 02:45 PM
4 link turned into FULL TUBER dhoffroad General Crawlers 5 03-04-2006 04:59 PM