Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Poprivet's first full tuber named U.N.C.L.E.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2016, 12:16 PM   #81
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Poprivet's first full tuber named U.N.C.L.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poprivet View Post
In this rig I am currently running stock ratio up front and underdrives in the rear. I will probably switch to underdrives front and rear eventually. I run underdrives front/rear in my wraith. It slowed it down a little, but I gained torque and driveability. Better control.

While a lower ride height will lower your center of gravity. It doesn't stop there. Where the weight is located on the rig has alot to do with it to. If your going for higher speed u4 style, I would say you want your weight low and center bias. If you want good lower speed crawling, I would say you want it low and forward bias. That's just my opinion of course. I am far from an expert. I am still learning as I go.

That totally makes sense. Everything that's in the car, is as low as it could go. The motor and tranny sit just above the slid plate height, so it's more U4 setup.

R.I.P Dave Mirra
Bmxreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2016, 07:05 PM   #82
Pebble Pounder

This is an awesome build. Tons of useful information for this noob. I did some brazing with brass on my micros. I used a butane pencil torch. I am going to be starting a tube built jeep liberty soon. Would my butane pencil torch work with the silver solder or would it not get hot enough? Also are you using just bare steel brake line?
grandbolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:59 PM   #83
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandbolin View Post
This is an awesome build. Tons of useful information for this noob. I did some brazing with brass on my micros. I used a butane pencil torch. I am going to be starting a tube built jeep liberty soon. Would my butane pencil torch work with the silver solder or would it not get hot enough? Also are you using just bare steel brake line?
Thank you sir.

I have never tried one of those torches so can't say for sure. Maybe someone with some butane brazing experience can post up.
If I had to guess, I would say yes. I think a butane torch gets like 2000°.

And yes, 3/16 brake line. I chuck it up in my drill, and remove the coating on my bench grinder with a wire wheel.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 04:51 AM   #84
Pebble Pounder

Thanks. This all has been very helpful. Can't wait to get started.
grandbolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:39 AM   #85
Rock Crawler

Quote:

And what helps when you build ( you don't have to), is to try and find a template of what chassis your wanting to build. It helps a lot on your first one. I think Harley has a couple of templates.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:07 AM   #86
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Your welcome. I'm happy to help. Good luck.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:19 AM   #87
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmxreeves View Post
And what helps when you build ( you don't have to), is to try and find a template of what chassis your wanting to build. It helps a lot on your first one. I think Harley has a couple of templates.

I actually downloaded Harley's templates for the ibex. Yours looks pretty good by the way! Nice job.

But after Harley posted them there seemed to be a few already being built, and I wanted to build something I hadn't seen done before.

Last edited by Poprivet; 04-04-2016 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:37 AM   #88
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thats not a bad idea at all. I found it difficult to scale down from the few images I could find of this rig. A template would have definitely made things easier.

I actually downloaded Harley's templates for the ibex. Yours looks pretty good by the way! Nice job.

But after Harley posted them there seemed to be a few already being built, and I wanted to build something I hadn't seen done before.

Thanks man! I looked through the ibex builds before I built mine, it gave me some ideas for things.

But, mine is the only one in town :p

Old 04-11-2016, 08:49 AM   #89
Quarry Creeper

No real update. Sorry. I have not had any time to work on this thing in almost two weeks, but yesterday a local group had a comp in Disney Oklahoma so I had to make it out to play at least.

I only brought this rig for testing it out. I zip tied some batteries in place and temporarily mounted the electronics on a piece of lexan. Just to see if that layout was going to work, and it did great. I was very happy with how well it hugged the ground at high speed, and crawled alot better than I thought it would.

Hopefully I can get some work done in the next week or two. I've had alot of life block this month.

I don't have the batteries I will run in this rig yet. (I need them before I can fab the mounts for them) They will be a little bigger. 2- 3s 3000mah packs. We will see if the extra weight helps or hurts.

Last edited by Poprivet; 04-11-2016 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:26 AM   #90
Quarry Creeper

Still love them beadlocks!!!! How did the growlers work at Disney ?
big bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:37 AM   #91
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bacon View Post
Still love them beadlocks!!!! How did the growlers work at Disney ?
They did very well. You know Disney though, the rocks out there are pretty sticky.

Last edited by Poprivet; 04-11-2016 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:53 AM   #92
I wanna be Dave

Looking good bud!!! One thing that I don't see and is a must have for this type of crawler is a sway bar. Even if you don't think you will use it, put a mount on the back so you have it if you change your mind later. You don't want to ruin a good paint job trying to add one later. If I missed it, ignore all the above accept " Looking good bud".
Ernie,
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:59 AM   #93
Quarry Creeper

Poprivet won't have it long enough to scratch the paint! I have dibs on buying it way before than!

Last edited by big bacon; 04-11-2016 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Stupied auto correct
big bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:01 AM   #94
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Looking good bud!!! One thing that I don't see and is a must have for this type of crawler is a sway bar. Even if you don't think you will use it, put a mount on the back so you have it if you change your mind later. You don't want to ruin a good paint job trying to add one later. If I missed it, ignore all the above accept " Looking good bud".
Ernie,
Thank you sir.
That is a good idea. I have been toying with the idea, and that's one of the reasons I took it out for testing. So far it seems unnecessary, but you are right about adding one after paint.

What are guys using for that mount? Looks like just an open ended piece of 3/16" tube. I would assume the torsion bar people use is just 1/8" piano wire, but I'm not sure.

Last edited by Poprivet; 04-11-2016 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:03 AM   #95
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bacon View Post
Poprivet won't have it long enough to scratch the paint! I have dibs on buying it way before than!
You wish! Raul is way ahead of you. Lol
Old 04-11-2016, 10:34 AM   #96
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Hopefully I can get some work done in the next week or two. I've had alot of life block this month.
30 days in county will do that to ya.

raul shabinguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:10 AM   #97
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul shabinguez View Post
30 days in county will do that to ya.

Sometimes I worry about you. No judgment...just worry.

Last edited by Poprivet; 04-11-2016 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:14 PM   #98
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thank you sir.
That is a good idea. I have been toying with the idea, and that's one of the reasons I took it out for testing. So far it seems unnecessary, but you are right about adding one after paint.

What are guys using for that mount? Looks like just an open ended piece of 3/16" tube. I would assume the torsion bar people use is just 1/8" piano wire, but I'm not sure.
You are right on, but I take it one more step. Here while back a friend had me gun barrel drill some 3mm screws for sway bars. I'm not sure what his application or design was but I decided to try something on my own. 3/16 tubing with a wall thickness of .035 can be tapped for 3mm, so it adds a nice finishing touch to the 3/16 tube. and you can just run your piano wire through the 3mm screw. I'm going to do a few for mine I could do a few extras for you, (part of the passing it forward thing).
The other thing I was thinking about was your body panels. Have you thought about using lexan and having one of the venders that make skins do a perforated design with the size simulated holes you need, they could even do what ever color you wanted. Would be lighter also. Just a thought.
Ernie,
Ernie,
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:56 PM   #99
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
You are right on, but I take it one more step. Here while back a friend had me gun barrel drill some 3mm screws for sway bars. I'm not sure what his application or design was but I decided to try something on my own. 3/16 tubing with a wall thickness of .035 can be tapped for 3mm, so it adds a nice finishing touch to the 3/16 tube. and you can just run your piano wire through the 3mm screw. I'm going to do a few for mine I could do a few extras for you, (part of the passing it forward thing).
The other thing I was thinking about was your body panels. Have you thought about using lexan and having one of the venders that make skins do a perforated design with the size simulated holes you need, they could even do what ever color you wanted. Would be lighter also. Just a thought.
Ernie,
Ernie,
You can drill down the center of a 3mm screw!? That's awesome! Name your price. I'll take some just to see them. Man, I need a mill and lathe.

What size hole, and what size piano wire do I use? Also what do you use for arms? Post some pictures if you could please? And where is the best place to get 3/16" x .035 wall tubing?

Sorry, but that post sparked alot of questions.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:23 PM   #100
Quarry Creeper

Oh yeah, and the wrapped panels are a good idea, but I plan on hinging both side panels for battery doors, held shut with a couple neodymium magnets. So lexan is out.

I literally just now seen the exact material I need. It was right in front of me the whole time. I just don't have enough of it, nor do I want to destroy my speakers.

I measured the holes with micrometers, and they are .020". So I think what I found at McMaster will work.

Now if I could just remember where I planted that money tree.

Last edited by Poprivet; 04-11-2016 at 06:37 PM.

Poprivet's first full tuber named U.N.C.L.E. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SUPER TUBER NAMED TSR-"tequila sun rise" AxialJeepster 1.9 Scale Rigs 15 07-22-2012 08:12 PM
Full Skin Tuber? Double J Chit Chat 9 11-22-2006 02:45 PM
4 link turned into FULL TUBER dhoffroad General Crawlers 5 03-04-2006 04:59 PM