Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Creepy's never to ever changing C2 rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2016, 12:42 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Creepy's never to ever changing C2 rig

Well I had a build thread for my C2 named Big Henry I started about 8 years ago, but I hadded updated it in seven years. When I was in there the other day cleaning up outdated PB pics I deleted the whole thread Sooooo here's round two. This rig started out it's life as Pro-Line F1oo and is now a Pro-Line Mj Truggy. It won't stay like this forever, but a busy summer full of comps traveling with MJDestine, Super Shafty will keep me from doing a complete rebuild until at least Fall time. This tired old SCX based rig needs some TLC. I only placed 13th out of 80 drivers at a TTC in Florida and while that sounds good, it isn't good enough! 1st or nothing Ricky BoBBy! The parts have slowly started showing up form Super Shafty , but before i can start tearing apart the axles I need to make some chages to my RC4WD bumper, Tough Armor Winch Bumper with Grill Guard to fit Axial SCX10 This thing mounts super low and is a bit wide. I'd already made a bracket and Delin skid that moved it up higher

Now it's time to chop it!

Cutting felt good so I comp cut the bed and after going over my scale points I realized my spare tire wasn't needed to max out on points sooooo it went the way of the DoDo. Damn bumper still sticks out too far...

First stuff to show up was the axle housing. I'll be using the Delux Big Bearing Modded SCX-10,Dlux Fab Modified AX10/SCX10 Housings - Super Shafty up front and the new Ottsix TKO-10, Team Ottsix TKO-10 Axle Case - Super Shafty in the rear. The rear truss, looks killer and has a super tight fit to the axle housing. The high pinion will help with clearance in the rear and the plastic used is a lot harder than the stock ones, more abrasion resistant. Almost like Delrin. The new black oxide spools, Super Spools - Super Shafty will replace the Axial HD locker in the rear. When it comes to the front... That is a diff store. I'm running the old school Super 300's and the locker up there feels a bit sloppy, not sure what I'll have to with it.

More to come!

Last edited by Creepy Inc.; 03-24-2016 at 09:00 AM.
Creepy Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2016, 03:02 PM   #2
www.ottsix.com

Default Re: Creepy's never to ever changing C2 rig

Looking forward to this build
crawl-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 12:43 AM   #3
SuperShafty.com

can't wait to see whats going on in this one man.
mjderstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 10:15 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Not much of an update, but some parts have showed up

I have been drooling over the quality of the Ottsix TKO-10 axle. The plastic used is harder than the stock housing, abrasion resistant are two words that come to mind. I did do a little shaving to the backside of the pumpkin. I may end up doing even more.

I am eagerly awaiting the release of Dan's new Beef Tubes.

WHERE'S THE BEEF?!

I can't wait for my Holmes ESC/motor combo from Super Shafty to show up.

I'm going to use the 3300kv Puller Pro Stubby with a Mamba Micro X. Do to this being a higher KV motor I will be using a 64T RR spur gear and Super Shafty's extended output for lower gear reduction.

I'm thinking LS1 with a 4:1 T case. More power, & more gear reduction!

Last edited by Creepy Inc.; 04-19-2016 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:01 AM   #5
RCC Addict

My Dlux big bearing AX-10 housing showed up form Super Shafty

Let's not forget about the all new Black Ox lockers from Super Shafty as well NO MORE IRON CROSS's...

Here's the little monster that will be powering this rig

Holmes 3300kv stubby and a Mamba micro X. I look forward to seeing how well they do.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:53 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Rebuilding this thing has been like pulling teeth, been super busy and just generally feeling down. I did pick up a new toy the other day to help make my Bullet Proof tranny/T-case.

It came with everything needed and was super easy to use

as seen in this pic one went in a little, but was able to be backed out some before setting the insert

My ScalerFab bumper showed up, waiting paint now

I'm at the point now with the ToyZuki kit where I have to trim and drill out the holes on the top shaft, and other bits, lots of drilling...

due to the way the motor plate hangs down so low I won't be using the Beefy motor, my shaved plate from my old comp rig will work well

Last edited by Creepy Inc.; 06-01-2016 at 07:39 AM.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:36 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Ok, the never to ever changing was kind've a inside joke. I'm not big on change and I decided this time I'd do something different...

So i started on the Toyzuki motor mount

I hooked up the motor plate and slipper eliminator shaft

The shaft needed to be shortened and the hole needed it be opened up.

You can see in this pic

Done deal

Even swapped over to a JunFac shaft, lighter than a MIP

It was the easiest, but it wasn't the hardest thing ever.

I had to do some cutting and drilling on the Locked Up Slipper Eliminator shaft I picked up for the T Case side

Even had to chop off some of the drive shaft hub

I threw on the large spur from Super Shafty

which would have caused me to use the extended shaft because of the extra size of the spur gear

This would've let me gaer the motor down more than ever

BUT IT'S ME... and I ended up using the smaller spur so I put the one piece HR main gear in. I kind've regret it. This thing doesn't creep like I want it to.

Last edited by Creepy Inc.; 06-01-2016 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:38 AM   #8
RCC Addict

In true fashion to me I'm running out of time. The KNK comp is this weekend and the Toyzuki mount caused the spur gear to hit the HandsBro 3 link mount. It will take a good bit of reworking and I don;t have the time, does the never changing make sense now? I put everything back basicly the same way it was

There still a bunch of stuff that need to be done, my OD gears didn't have the hole in the pinion shaft so I updated that. Of course it wasn't as easy as I thought it was.

I completely forgot about having to drill the ring gear so the giant Super 300 axle shafts can fit.

This thing is not fun to hold onto during the 12 hours and 30 drill bits it took to get through the hardened steel.

and let's not forget about this little gem

After soaking for a hour and applying heat they came out with easy

I also found a bunch of holes and rips in my Pits, love these things so much I can't bring myself to replace them. Rubberized CA it is!!!

Some of the foams were wet so I had to dry them out, forgot I have three diff foams in the front tires... Oh well they work so I put them all back in.

Not having closed cell foams I can't vent my tires so to take the bounce out of them I use a syringe to deflate the tires some

Here you see the deflated next to the one full of air

I really like the way it makes the tires flat. I feel it has more contact to the ground.

One thing I had to upgrade because of constant failure was the RC4WD Bulldog winch.

The new RC4WD Warn mini should hold up well. Also picked up and HeyOK controller. Once I add the HV500 I'll turn my BEC up to 8.4v and this HeyOK limits voltage to winch, 6v. Nice and easy...

It's crazy how small this ESC is!!!

My homebrew bumper lift mount was a PIA to figure out how to put it back together...

But well worth it. The extra clearance is sweet!

After shaving the TKO-10 some more I noticed the nuts stuck out a good bit.

Soooooooo

Smaller nuts it is, every little bit helps

Steel Beef Tubes up front with a little grease

I've always packed ny axles with Marine grease. It keeps out water, grime and helps keep temp down.

ESC, winch controller, RX and BEC have a very small footprint.

Since I got rid of the electronics box I had to waterproof my BEC.

Quick and easy!

I didn't have time to add the Beef Tubes in the TKO-10 yet, maybe in the hotel, but damn does this thing look killer!

I added scale hardware where I could, Locked Up has a nice SCX-10 replacement kit at a killer price. It was a lot cheaper than trying to build my own collection of diff lengths.

Luckily I had enough time to clean and replace the oil in shocks.

You can see how dirty the oil was

I even came up with a nifty way of holding the shocks while refilling them and waiting for any air bubbles to work their way to the top.

KNK here we come!

Last edited by Creepy Inc.; 06-01-2016 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-01-2016, 02:38 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
..snip.. Once I add the HV500 I'll turn my BEC up to 8.4v and this HeyOK limits voltage to winch, 6v.
The winch controller in your picture (the 3PWR4) doesn't limit voltage. It sends full battery voltage to the winch.
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:15 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Good luck Allen !
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:32 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyok View Post
The winch controller in your picture (the 3PWR4) doesn't limit voltage. It sends full battery voltage to the winch.

Really? Damn I thought it did. Thanks for the heads up

Does this mean even if the BEC is set at 6v the winch will get ~11v from the batt?

Last edited by Creepy Inc.; 06-07-2016 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:35 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
Good luck Allen !
Totally bombed at The KNK TTC over the weekend. The Micro X was a total failure. Tremal shut down after only 7 min of driving. I even tried with a 2s batt and after 10 min of driving the ESC was to hot to hold your finger on it. BLE Pro time.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:57 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creepy Inc. View Post

Really? Damn I thought it did. Thanks for the heads up

Does this mean even if the BEC is set at 6v the winch will get ~11v from the batt?
Remember that there are two paths that send voltage to the relay winch controller.
Those are the plug that goes to the receiver (when I talk about them, I call this "receiver voltage" ) and the battery connection (I call this one "external power" and also "battery voltage").

The receiver voltage powers up the micro controller (it's like a computer) that decodes the servo signal and decides how to activate the relays. The battery plug takes voltage from the battery and sends it through the relays to the winch motor.
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:59 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creepy Inc. View Post
Totally bombed at The KNK TTC over the weekend. The Micro X was a total failure. Tremal shut down after only 7 min of driving. I even tried with a 2s batt and after 10 min of driving the ESC was to hot to hold your finger on it. BLE Pro time.
Hey, at least you were there participating!
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:41 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
Hey, at least you were there participating!
It was deff a great time! It was the smoothest running comp I've been to. I placed 47th out of 128. I also won a Yeti TT as a give away