Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Starting to do a leaf conversion on Gelande II for Cruiser but need advice. Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2016, 12:11 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Question Starting to do a leaf conversion on Gelande II for Cruiser but need advice. Help

Hello all! I am just in the process of starting my FJ Cruiser build using RC4WD Gelande II kit. The rear leaf springs will mount to the axle easy enough using 2mm & 3mm metal spacers since the rear axle has nice round notches for round spacers to fit.

Front axle is a little different than most other guys I have seen do the leafs on! I think I got a newer axle and it seems solid cast! They didn't include the nice little notches so now what to do? Should I cut my spacer flat to fit? I am not sure if I want to dremel any parts of the axle housing.

Here are pics of the axle area. See how the holes where the bolts for the leaf springs go are? I actually didn't even pay attention until I was tightening down the leaf with round metal spacer and was like what the??

ZippoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2016, 12:38 PM   #2
Oppan Gangnam Style

Default Re: Starting to do a leaf conversion on Gelande II for Cruiser but need advice. Help

If you doing a spring under setup, looks like you will need to break out the dremel.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:12 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Starting to do a leaf conversion on Gelande II for Cruiser but need advice. Help

Yes I am doing a spring under. I will dremel my spacers I guess? I am a dummy and thought the spacers would be the same on the front as the rear. 2mm & 3mm on rear. I cut a 3mm with a nice flat spot and then realized it is too small. I have to use 4mm & 5mm on front to have leafs mount as flush to axle as possible and also give a decent angle for the driveshaft. Oh the learning curve for a newbie!

Now I wait for 5mm spacers. In Canada we have to wait for all good RC parts. Even more so in my super tiny town with no LHS!

I am using RC4WD sapcers because I couldn't get a decent shipping deal from other vendors. :(

Last edited by ZippoMan; 03-30-2016 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:15 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I got the fronts mounted after hacking the spacers with a dremel. Not pretty but will work. I will post pics later. It really isn't pretty but works and I need to touch up the black axles with paint now. I guess. LOL
Old 03-30-2016, 09:27 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Old 03-30-2016, 09:41 PM   #6
Official Scale Nazi

Looks good to me. I filed flat spots on the axle tube to give a place for the leafs to sit flat. Your way will work too especially if you're not using u-bolts.
pigeonfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:59 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Looks like you're coming along well. For what it's worth, I did a step-by-step how-to thread with leafs over axle a little while back. Your solution on leafs under axle works well, as would U bolts. Here's the link to mine if it helps:
How-to convert from links to leafs on a Gelande chassis
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:09 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Thanks guys and I will be reading more threads and taking in all the info. I am grateful to have this community and a couple others for knowledge. I am totally new to building anything beyond a basic kit with bolt on parts. I am scared of customizing because I don't have all the right tools, skills & money to go hardcore.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:54 PM   #9

I used a piece of nylon rod I had around that happen to be drilled out to just the right size. I notched one end with the dremel to fit . Then cut to length. 5, or 6 mm, cant remember.I temporarily glued them in place with CA, the filed down to match the top of the axle. I will see if I have any pics.
unimogrob16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:58 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Yeah I don't have the luxury of nylon rods. I was crazy and bought the metal spacers. They are working out decent enough for me.

Pics would be cool to see! I love pics always! It helps wrap my brain around the situation better.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:00 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Thumbs up Re: Starting to do a leaf conversion on Gelande II for Cruiser but need advice. Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
Looks like you're coming along well. For what it's worth, I did a step-by-step how-to thread with leafs over axle a little while back. Your solution on leafs under axle works well, as would U bolts. Here's the link to mine if it helps:
How-to convert from links to leafs on a Gelande chassis
The only thing I am not liking about your build is the Teraflex revolvers and the way they are mounted. I want to be more traditional and look closer to a stock FJ40. I know it will never be 100% scale.

Old 04-01-2016, 01:39 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippoMan View Post
The only thing I am not liking about your build is the Teraflex revolvers and the way they are mounted. I want to be more traditional and look closer to a stock FJ40. I know it will never be 100% scale.

Lol. One of my regular running mates gives me grief about Revolvers pretty regularly for that same reason. You can easily substitute Bruiser shackles for the Revolvers and otherwise follow the same steps if you want.

As for the fear of modifying, most of us have been there at some point. My first several scale builds were all bolt-on in part for that reason, and I remember the deep breath I had to take when I first took a saw to the interior of my D110. Modification and fabrication can sound like scary words at first, but they're really not. If you've used a Dremel or drill on any part, you've modified something. If you've used any sort of raw material to make or modify any part, you've done fabrication. Once you get over the psychological hurdle, you'll find that you open a lot of doors in your builds and get an even greater sense of satisfaction from them. And the good news is that there are virtually no parts in this hobby that can't be replaced cheaply if you mess up during a build.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by unimogrob16 View Post
I used a piece of nylon rod I had around that happen to be drilled out to just the right size. I notched one end with the dremel to fit . Then cut to length. 5, or 6 mm, cant remember.I temporarily glued them in place with CA, the filed down to match the top of the axle. I will see if I have any pics.
Looks like I didn't take any pics of that when I built it. Only the finished and assembled pics. The aluminum spacers should work fine, just have to notch them to fit the axle, then file down to the correct height.
unimogrob16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 02:27 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Aren't Yota II's reversible? Leave the housing with mounts down and reverse the hubs and internals. I don't have Yota II's, but it seems like it should work, maybe I'm wrong.
58_Willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 03:04 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I got the leafs mounted. I guess if I have any further issues I might flip stuff but I want to keep it the way it is. Fingers crossed for future success. It is a super slow project for me due to skills, parts and funds.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:00 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I was thinking couldn't the bruiser U Bolts be used to do leaf under? Would be more realistic if it would work.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:12 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

No idea and I don't want to spend anymore money right now. This works for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8cture View Post
I was thinking couldn't the bruiser U Bolts be used to do leaf under? Would be more realistic if it would work.
Old 11-07-2020, 08:41 AM   #18

How did you end up finalizing the installation? I’m still working on mine and have the driveshaft right up against the transmission. Also having an issue with the placement of the steering stabilizer in the axle over configuration.
redpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote

Starting to do a leaf conversion on Gelande II for Cruiser but need advice. Help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gelande 2 Cruiser from Alaska! AKbash57 1.9 Scale Rigs 39 01-22-2016 08:27 AM
My Gelande 2 CRUISER Toylux 1.9 Scale Rigs 0 09-17-2015 11:26 AM
Rc4wd gelande 2 land cruiser neon9 1.9 Scale Rigs 8 06-16-2015 09:40 PM