Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: GSpeed Chassis Build - Cloncho's Next Evolution

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2016, 04:53 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default GSpeed Chassis Build - Cloncho's Next Evolution

Following a recent outing, and some breakages, it was time for some repairs but also some upgrades.

Parts I had to work with

Gspeed LCG chassis
GSpeed flush skid
Boomerang Type G shocks
Alumium trans case with HD gear set
Junfac carbon steel shafts
Home made alu links

Stock axle cases
SSD CVDs, c-hubs, knuckles and steering links up front
Overdrive HD gears up front, stock gears out back
Hot Racing lockers front and rear
Brass beef tubes front and rear
Alu lock outs.

Tekin Hand Wound 30t pro motor
Novak Eiger Pro ESC
Novak 6v BEC
Savox 1210sg servo
Heyok winch controller
3Racing winch (for now).
Spektrum Rx

RC4WD Monster 1.9s
Pit Bull Rock Beasts
CI Lil Nova foams

Phew... That's the first time I've made a list in one place and I hadn't realised just what was in this thing !

The axles were already off the rig as those parts came in earlier so I started with the stock chassis...

Comparing the rails...

Laying out the parts...

Gabe includes 4 x set screws which hold the lower links in place and stock hardware then holds the rails in place

Trans / motor in place, front bumper and front brace installed...

Rear braces and sliders installed...

Plates for the battery and electronics added

Shocks... been really pleased with these, running them in 50% droop

Axles... i shortened the upper links after this pic as there was too much clocking going on for my liking

Front end... loving the SSD components

We have a roller... first time the wheels have been on the chassis in about 3 months !

Less flex than before but still not bad

Buckets more steering angle though

Delrin skid and links... this piece is completely solid, im not sure what i was expecting to be honest but its awesome and much lower profile than the stock item

So thats it for now... only took me around 3 hours in total to go from stock to stripped then back to a roller.

Fit and finish are superb, really blown away by the quality of these GSpeed parts and how easy the conversion was.

Next is a bit of a re configure of the electrics and maybe a tweak to the rear bed of the body to clear the new shock hoops.

Thanks, Nige

Last edited by n_d_fox; 04-25-2016 at 05:23 AM.
n_d_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2016, 10:34 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: GSpeed Chassis Build - Cloncho's Next Evolution

Got the electrics in...

Used the stock radio box (which has been in the parts bin for years) to stash the Rx and BEC out the way

With a winch controller, BEC, power cap, ESC, Rx and the associated wiring this is about as tidy as i can make it, which bugs me but short of ramming it all in a project box (which i dont have room for), thats as good as i can get it... im not a natural when it comes to wiring / soldering.

Next up, clean the body as its still filthy from the last outing, check it still fits right on this new chassis and then test
Old 04-26-2016, 11:16 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I'm running 70mm rear shocks on my scx10 and I get more flex than that. . Looks good though.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:45 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8cture View Post
I'm running 70mm rear shocks on my scx10 and I get more flex than that. . Looks good though.
With the shocks fully compressed and me applying a tiny amount of weight to the chassis I can turn that servo case upright which gives about another inch or so of flex... without the weight the shock rebounds about 5mm and it cocks a wheel in the air by a fraction.

I havent spent too much time tuning the shocks, I've basically installed the medium springs for 50% droop and added 30wt oil. I'd assume with lighter oil or the light spring I would get less rebound but much less control over the weight of the rig and I dont want 100% droop as this is as much a trail rig as it is anything else.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:07 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Not fully compressing in guessing it's you have a little too much on in them. Mine compress fine.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 03:52 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Do you have to run a bit of toe out with those ssd knuckles?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
joe.bielski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:34 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe.bielski View Post
Do you have to run a bit of toe out with those ssd knuckles?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I hadn't noticed it in the flesh but looking at the pics it does look like the fronts are toed out... I'll check that in the morning and adjust the steering link if needed
Old 05-09-2016, 10:32 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

So the toe in on the pic wasnt as bad in the flesh but i wasnt 100% happy with the alignment up front so i played about with the centering on the servo and trim and the steering link and got it all dialed in nice and square.

Anyway...

Body arrived and for a change i thought i would do a jeep ;)

Been refining the edges and masking up for paint for the past few days... started shooting colour today

Also, while lining up the shell and getting the height right ive gone back to body posts and clips to keep things light and simple. To get the rear end right without fouling the oil lines for the shocks i relocated the reservoirs

More updates when the colours get sorted but in the mean time im building up the cage...
Old 05-09-2016, 11:57 AM   #9

Are you worried at all about this being nose heavy with everything up front like that (Batteries ESC etc)? I had thought about moving the battery to the front like this on my son's to gain a little more nose weight but was going to move the esc out back to help offset somewhat
holiday13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:35 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

The only time the rear feels light is on really steep descents and a bit of wheel speed sorts that out... this isnt a comp rig so im not looking for out and out performance. As it is right now works ok for me and im happy with the way it performs, or at least i was on the stock chassis, if anything the overall stability with the lcg chassis has improved things (quick test with the shell off).

Eventually i think boat sides / sliders or something to mount the electronics on the sides of the chassis... the main reason for mounting them where they are is that i wanted them high enough that i can take this through mud / water and not completely submerge everything. I have coated the electrics with corrosion x and semi sealed the box but without plasti-dip or conformal coating i dont 100% trust anything is properly water proof

Last edited by n_d_fox; 05-10-2016 at 06:41 AM.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:53 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Spent a bit of time over the last few evenings getting the colours down and finishing up the body etc.

Went with a Tamiya metallic orange on the body with black for the interior, grille and arch flares. Also went over the black with a matte lacquer to tone it down.

Built and stickered up...

Think i'll lower the rear body posts a click to level the body out a bit more... Need some LEDs for the light bar (might also do the headlights) and someone to drive. Got my sand ladders and anchor to mount on the cage as well.

Quick bench flex shot before we leave...

Cheers, Nige
Old 05-24-2016, 09:49 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Got the functional accessories added to the Jeep

Sand ladders, tree sver / toe ropes and land anchor

Driver also arrived...

Meet Quentin... Its a Neca figure from Planet Horror which Tarantino played a part in... got him 2nd hand for £5 so no problem lopping his lower half off and fitting him in place. I've never seen the film and probably never will but i thought he suited the look of the truck.

Servo posts turned up so they are in and solid... LEDs also arrived so need to do some soldering and get them installed next.

Cheers, Nige

GSpeed Chassis Build - Cloncho's Next Evolution - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
~TSS~ SCXHR Chassis! The next evolution of SCX10 Performance Chassis STANG KILLA SS Chassis and Suspension 212 04-15-2021 03:05 PM
My GSPEED-LCG Old Skool DickyT Videos! 2 11-27-2017 10:23 PM
PR Concepts evolution chassis Comp Build Mini Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 24 07-21-2009 01:47 PM