Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: getting back into crawling.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2016, 05:33 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default getting back into crawling.

Hey everyone,

It's been 6 years since I've been in the crawling game. I still have my scx 10 and an unpainted unimog body. So I have been wanting to do a unimog for while now. So Im not releasing all my plans but I was wondering what you guys recommend for the following.

1. Tires
2. Wheels
3. Shocks
4. Transfer cases
5. Motor mounts for the front end.

Thanks Guys. Any other tips for hiding the electronics would also help.

oh ya. Why can't I post pictures?
makahacrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2016, 08:23 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: getting back into crawling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makahacrawler View Post
Hey everyone,

It's been 6 years since I've been in the crawling game. I still have my scx 10 and an unpainted unimog body. So I have been wanting to do a unimog for while now. So Im not releasing all my plans but I was wondering what you guys recommend for the following.

1. Tires
2. Wheels
3. Shocks
4. Transfer cases
5. Motor mounts for the front end.

Thanks Guys. Any other tips for hiding the electronics would also help.

oh ya. Why can't I post pictures?
Welcome back. Here are some thoughts:

1. Tires - Tons of good options, so a lot depends on your size and style preferences. On the larger end of the 1.9 scale, I've really liked Pit Bull Rock Beast 1.9s, Pro-Line Super Swamper XLs, RC4WD Baja Claws, and the new Axial BFG KO2s. Folks that run Voodoos really seem to like them, and the new Pit Bull Rock Beast 1.9 XLs should be terrific. On the smaller end of the scale, the Pit Bull PBX A/T Hardcores are fantastic, as are most of the RC4WD tires with the X2SS compound. To get the most out of your tires, you'll probably want to get a set of Crawler Innovations foams. Which foam will depend on the particular tire and weight of your rig.

2. Wheels - Same as tires, but here pricing often dictates what to do. RC4WD has a huge selection of wheels, and quality is very good. If you plan to mount Pro-Lines to RC4WD wheels, make sure to get the blue beadlock rings for Pro-Line tires that RC4WD sells separately. They will make mounting much easier.

3. Shocks - Another one where everyone has a different opinion. Ask 10 people and you'll probably get 12 opinions. I've been happy with the Axial Icons on my SCX10 and SCX10 II. I've also been happy with RC4WD RRD Emulsions and Kings, Proline Power Strokes Scalers, and Gmade XD Piggybacks on various other rigs.

4 & 5. Transfer cases and front motor mounts - I'm partial to the GCM SCX Mounts Combo kit, and not just because I'm a team driver. Design, engineering and finish are first-rate. The SCX-10 package includes the dual servo mount (allows you to mount steering servo and a servo winch to the chassis up front), motor mount that goes between the shock towers, and t-case. You just need to add a tranny-to-tcase shaft and you're all set.

Good luck with your (re-)build and be sure to post a thread!
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:37 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
Welcome back. Here are some thoughts:

1. Tires - Tons of good options, so a lot depends on your size and style preferences. On the larger end of the 1.9 scale, I've really liked Pit Bull Rock Beast 1.9s, Pro-Line Super Swamper XLs, RC4WD Baja Claws, and the new Axial BFG KO2s. Folks that run Voodoos really seem to like them, and the new Pit Bull Rock Beast 1.9 XLs should be terrific. On the smaller end of the scale, the Pit Bull PBX A/T Hardcores are fantastic, as are most of the RC4WD tires with the X2SS compound. To get the most out of your tires, you'll probably want to get a set of Crawler Innovations foams. Which foam will depend on the particular tire and weight of your rig.

2. Wheels - Same as tires, but here pricing often dictates what to do. RC4WD has a huge selection of wheels, and quality is very good. If you plan to mount Pro-Lines to RC4WD wheels, make sure to get the blue beadlock rings for Pro-Line tires that RC4WD sells separately. They will make mounting much easier.

3. Shocks - Another one where everyone has a different opinion. Ask 10 people and you'll probably get 12 opinions. I've been happy with the Axial Icons on my SCX10 and SCX10 II. I've also been happy with RC4WD RRD Emulsions and Kings, Proline Power Strokes Scalers, and Gmade XD Piggybacks on various other rigs.

4 & 5. Transfer cases and front motor mounts - I'm partial to the GCM SCX Mounts Combo kit, and not just because I'm a team driver. Design, engineering and finish are first-rate. The SCX-10 package includes the dual servo mount (allows you to mount steering servo and a servo winch to the chassis up front), motor mount that goes between the shock towers, and t-case. You just need to add a tranny-to-tcase shaft and you're all set.

Good luck with your (re-)build and be sure to post a thread!
Thanks for the info. I agree with everything U said about preference. I have my own on all subjects.

Where can I get the gcm combo set up. I looked online but nobody seems to have them as the combo. Unless I'm blind which is possible. Maybe used. Hint hint.

I've been doing a lot of research on my mog build. Read almost all the pages on the tool/procedure section about brazing. Yes. Almost all. I was sick from work. In the process of bending everything. Then onto brazing. Thanks for the heads up. Will post pics of when I can or if I'm aloud. Thanks again.

How has this thread gotten 128 views and one respond. Lame.
makahacrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:02 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by makahacrawler View Post
Thanks for the info. I agree with everything U said about preference. I have my own on all subjects.

Where can I get the gcm combo set up. I looked online but nobody seems to have them as the combo. Unless I'm blind which is possible. Maybe used. Hint hint.

I've been doing a lot of research on my mog build. Read almost all the pages on the tool/procedure section about brazing. Yes. Almost all. I was sick from work. In the process of bending everything. Then onto brazing. Thanks for the heads up. Will post pics of when I can or if I'm aloud. Thanks again.

How has this thread gotten 128 views and one respond. Lame.
Here's the link to the product page on the GCM web site:
GCM Webstore Canada International - SCX Mounts Combo Kit

As far as finding a used setup, good luck. Once people do the forward motor conversion, they rarely undo it, so used parts almost never come up.

And just a suggestion on the forum...wondering aloud why you haven't gotten more responses and then being critical of the lack of response typically isn't the best way to engage folks in a community like this. Three of the questions in your original post (what tires, shocks and wheels are best) get asked an answered all the time, so a lot of folks tend to stay away from answering them over and over unless the question is more specific (e.g., as between product xx and yy, what are your recommendations). Don't take it personally. Here are a couple of friendly suggestions to help you. Before posting for input, it helps to read up a bit and then preface your question with the info you've been able to find (especially since you clearly are willing to do the reading up part). The better you can frame a question, the better the answers will be (usually). And if this is going to be an SCX10-based build, try posting in the SCX10 section, which gets more traffic than the 1.9 section.

Good luck with your build!
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote

getting back into crawling. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Back into crawling rspitz Newbie General 16 09-02-2013 08:41 PM
Getting back into crawling!!! MightyMO Newbie General 4 10-04-2012 10:45 AM
Back into Crawling Volture'Z Venom Creeper 44 07-20-2012 02:09 PM
Crawling out back! sliding_josh Videos! 0 12-14-2010 12:04 AM