Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: OHOs RC4WD Gelande II D110 (finally)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2016, 03:57 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: OHOs RC4WD Gelande II D110 (finally)

Made this just for those who don't want to look from start to finish... A quick before and after

Oh How Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2016, 03:10 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Gave her a good rub down and got rid of any imperfections before she was ready for paint.

Left it to the RC gods to decide the colour, I clearly wasn't really making any progress trying to decide myself, very very happy with the colour, although it's not finished yet, I decided to give her one light coat, then a slightly heavier coat and a touch up, I will give her some very very light coats and touch ups on the next warm day, the reason for this is to get as matte of a finish as I can, I don't want a super shiny paint job, I'm hoping that holding the can far away and just 'dusting' the paint on, will result in a non shiny paint job.

I decided to do the door mirrors too, got them all cut out and shaped and dropped one, can you believe it ;)

Oh well, it's only the passengers side and he/she doesn't need to see behind... I'm pushing my own scale boundaries and it's not much by some standards, but I am enjoying being creative and coming up with fresh and simple ideas to add a 'realistic' edge to make it my own vehicle.

Old 10-02-2016, 04:53 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

I like the broken mirror. That's something you don't see every day on an RC vehicle and unique is good. Might be bad luck though.
Alpha Male is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:32 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Male View Post
I like the broken mirror. That's something you don't see every day on an RC vehicle and unique is good. Might be bad luck though.
I have to say, it's not something I have ever seen before.
Maybe the odd light lens or something purposely broken, but never seen a broken mirror before, although I'm sure lots have done it no doubt.
Not claiming to have 'invented' the idea but I am trying to add subtle real world details, since I'm no longer replicating the Camel Trophy truck, I feel I can be a little more free to choose what I want to do with it and add new ideas into the mix.
FYI; Love your signature, man that has happened to me so many times
Old 10-06-2016, 09:57 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

Small update here, I bought some 1.55 RC4WD stamped steelies and some 1.55 Pitbull Growlers.
Unfortunately, they are just a tad too tall and too wide... I'm unsure if to get some thinner and shorter tyres that will fit under the arches better, or if to sell the wheels and tyres as a combo together and go the 1.9 route, which come with pin hubs, I'm thinking these might pull the wheels in even further compared to the current hex hubs.
Any input from anyone would be appreciated.
While I was trying to figure out what to do with regards to the wheels and tyres, I thought since the paintjob has had a good few days to fully dry, I'd paint the arches black.
Decided to go for a sort of used look, so I touch one of them with some tissue after the first coat and immediately hit it with the second coat, quite like the effect, just wish I'd done it to another one as well, but it'll do for now, I can always add to it later.
Only thing I don't like is the gloss black against the duller beige, so I might get a can of matte lacquer and go over the whole thing to make it all match up.

Pretty proud of how crisp and nice the arch lines are.

And the previously smashed panel, all but finished in terms of repairs/paint.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:10 AM   #26
Rock Crawler

Well, made a small bit of progress on the interior, the truck originally had bucket seats in (I believe Wraith seats?) but I wasn't paying £27 for a pair of seats to match the rear, so instead I have sourced some more standard seats, rather stupidly, the bottoms are molded to the floorpan of the interior, I never understood why, so I've bought the whole bit second hand to chop it up, again, because of that, to buy just the front seats complete is about £35 new... RC4WD have some silly ways, but hey ho, sorted now, just waiting for the parts to arrive.

But I did do some test fitting while I was at it... I think, just to be different, I will have a female driver, it's kind of amusing, that she looks really happy to be driving and he looks really annoyed she's driving, it kinda suits there facial expressions and thankfully, they fit the seats reasonably well, but might require some minor surgery lol.

Had to chop the bottom seats off a spare set I already had because the previous owner had done the same thing to fit the bucket seats in.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:00 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

I like the color you chose, red would be good too, do the roof white. First set of 1.55s you posted up look too small, Growlers are nice height, but kinda wide. Maybe open up the wheel arches to fit them?
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 01:35 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
I like the color you chose, red would be good too, do the roof white. First set of 1.55s you posted up look too small, Growlers are nice height, but kinda wide. Maybe open up the wheel arches to fit them?
Thanks for the Like spam
I have sorted some smaller 1.55 tyres, just got to wait for them to arrive and test them, I won't be modifying the arches, unless absolutely necessary, but I'm really hoping to avoid that.
I want a nice scale looking arch gap, not something massive, so I'll just have to wait and see how the new tyres look and take it from there
I'm thinking the roof will be white too, but again, not 100% decided on that, my Photoshop is really playing up at the moment, as is my PC as a whole... May have to put any RC purchases on hold if I need to buy a new PC
Old 10-07-2016, 04:18 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

You're welcome, no charge. j/k I like scalers and I like Land Crushers, you're off to a good start.

Photobucket kinda weirds out too often. I've contacted their support several times.

If your pc is jacked, prolly just need to clean the bugs out.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/safe...ssentials.aspx
Old 10-07-2016, 05:46 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

Quote:
You're welcome, no charge. j/k I like scalers and I like Land Crushers, you're off to a good start.

Photobucket kinda weirds out too often. I've contacted their support several times.

If your pc is jacked, prolly just need to clean the bugs out.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/safe...ssentials.aspx
Thanks, glad you think it's a good start
I meant my Photoshop buddy, not Photobucket :P IDK if I maybe said Photobucket by mistake lol.
As for my PC, unfortunately, I have AVG, Windows Defender, Ccleaner and Speccy to keep things in tip top condition, one of my svhost files seems to have become corrupt and keeps shooting my CPU usage and memory usage up to 100% and holding it there until I end the process.
I think it's just getting tired, I built the machine 13 years ago, so it's probably just time for something fresh although I do appreciate the links, thanks for that
Old 10-09-2016, 10:40 AM   #31
Rock Crawler

Got some more done to the dash and got the seats done.
I'm not 100% happy with the seats, but once the figures are sat in them, they should look a bit neater.
I initially wrapped them in a self adhesive felt, and it was horrible, it didn't look that nice visually and to work with was horrible stuff, I've binned it.
I'm now using spray paint the same colour as the body and some dolls house carpet.
I've also painted the windscreen matching body colour, I just need to wait for it to fully dry before masking up and going over the black.

Old 10-11-2016, 01:45 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Well, my little couple are obviously getting quite serious, they now have a family pet

I also got the windscreen surround painted properly, wasn't happy with the job that was on it, plus there was a tiny bit of overspray from a bit of masking tape that didn't quite stick!

And for those bright days when you've forgotten your sunglasses...

I also darkened up the top 'windows' (not sure exactly what these are called) just to add a little bit of character, I didn't want them all completely see through.

Also, test fitted one of the rear windows, I must have done an okay job on the repair because it's 100% straight and the window slid right in, no problems.

And to save some time and money, I decided to just clean up and respray the rear windows, it's surprising the results you can get from a little bit of TLC

Old 10-11-2016, 05:40 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Nice, great clean up on the rear windows. There's something to add to models for simulating fabric upholstery (forget what it's called), you paint the seat (dash, whatever) then sprinkle it on while paint is wet.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:12 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Nice, great clean up on the rear windows. There's something to add to models for simulating fabric upholstery (forget what it's called), you paint the seat (dash, whatever) then sprinkle it on while paint is wet.
I've never seen that stuff, but that sounds good, I'll have a look on eBay and some dolls house websites I've been checking out.
The seats could maybe do with being re-done, but I might just leave them, once the figures are in and stuff, they will barely be visible.
I just didn't like th shine, so I was going to matt lacquer them just to tone down the gloss.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:54 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

The material you're looking for is called flocking. 24th scale model guys use it all the time for upholstery.
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 10:33 AM   #36
Rock Crawler

So, got a bit more done on this, I received the wheels and tyres the other day, and after all the headaches of finding the right ones and fitting the wrong ones (Growlers) I can now say I'm happy with the look, it's exactly what I wanted.

The roof is now white, the front end has been resprayed, there was a few minor blemishes, but they were bugging me, so that happened today.

After much fettling with the shocks, the ride height, for my taste is perfect, as is the articulation, I think it looks quite realistic for a truck that would be as happy hitting the back roads as it would climbing, so I'm really happy with the results so far.

The only thing that needs attention, is the front right shock seems to be binding somehow, but I can't find where, when the shock is off, it's smooth, there nothing binding on the chassis without the shock on, but when the shock is on, there's a notchy feeling, and it's irritating, so it will get attention soon enough, I might try mounting the front shocks without the spacers and something to see if that helps, but that's for another day... For now, I'm just really happy with the overall look of the truck and I think my paint choices have been the right ones!

All masked up.

Nice sharp line.

After the front end had received it's respray.

First practical use for my new jack.

Shocks getting some treatment.

Ride height and articulation nailed... I'll let the pictures do the talking.

All the way down, no rubbing at all.

Old 10-15-2016, 03:42 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

Right chaps, advice/opinions time please.

So, at the start of this build, I knew the inside would be black, inner bodies on 1:1 aren't really the same colour as the outside and I think they look daft when they are on these models, so the plan was to use some self adhesive dolls house carpet I've been using, to cover the inside, figuring it would create a slightly more realistic appearance and texture than simply being painted.

I've started doing some tonight, just for testing purposes, with some scrap pieces of this carpet, and I would like some opinions.

My other option, instead of normal paint, would be bed liner spray, which leaves a matt/rough textured finish, which would also work (I think) but I'm unsure what I think of this look.

I know the insides of 1:1 vehicles don't really look like this, but it's the closest thing that came to mind.

The alternative it to just leave it body colour, but I'm not sure I want to do that, I don't think it looks very realistic.

The whole point of this build was to push my own scale boundaries.

Opinions are needed please.

Old 10-23-2016, 11:31 AM   #38
Rock Crawler

Another small update, things have been quiet with this while making my video for the Yetis interior respray, plus setting up my new PC as well, so this has been gathering dust, but time hasn't been wasted, I've commissioned a very skilled chap to make me some tree sliders, the attention to detail was perfect and I'm sure you'll agree they have come out excellently, I haven't actually got them yet, he's posting them tomorrow (hopefully)

On another note, I've commission a wood worker to make me a kayak from scratch, all I could find was brightly coloured plastic ones... That simply won't do, so the kayak has been carved and made

I need to find myself a chopped figure for the kayak!

Old 10-29-2016, 02:11 PM   #39
Rock Crawler

Well, huge thanks to my friend Tim for getting these tree sliders made up, they really couldn't have turned out anymore perfectly, I gave him my idea and some rough measurements, he ran with it and they turned up superb and a perfect fit to within the mm.
Also thought I'd do a little bit of mocking up with some bits and pieces as well, nothing is glued or fixed in permenantly.

Old 12-09-2016, 05:32 AM   #40
Rock Crawler

Looking great! A lot of detail there. I'm getting ready to start my D110 Camel Trophy build. Keep up the great work.
mudbeast2 is offline   Reply With Quote

OHOs RC4WD Gelande II D110 (finally) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC4WD Gelande 2 D110 Build/Review Crawlorado719 1.9 Scale Rigs 50 03-25-2017 06:35 PM
RC4WD Gelande II D110 Truck Kit w/Hard Body build/review HARDRIVE General Scale Talk 418 09-24-2016 11:42 AM
RC4WD Gelande II D110 JatoTheRipper 1.9 Scale Rigs 21 12-10-2014 01:04 AM