Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: OHOs RC4WD Gelande II D110 (finally)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2016, 09:50 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default OHOs RC4WD Gelande II D110 (finally)

After longing for one of these trucks for quite some time, I've finally bought one.

It's a second hand item and came with damage (I was aware of most of it)

After sorting my work area out, I've finally stripped the body of the lights/windows etc... And I can have a proper look at the damage and think of the best plan to fix it.

Shockingly, the only other damaged part (that I have found so far) is one of the windows is cracked, everything else seems to have survived okay but I haven't given it a complete inspection yet.

The initial plan was to fix the rear end only, then just re-spray the quarter panel in the same paint, maybe hit it with some lacquer to blend them in, unfortunately, the paint work for me needs entirely re-doing, due to glue and a not very good finish in some places.

Not sure about colour yet, I will see how well (or badly lol) I get on with the repairs.

That's about as far as I've got so far, but wanted to document my progress so thought I'd start a thread on it.

Oh How Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2016, 07:58 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: OHOs RC4WD Gelande II D110 (finally)

Made some more progress, took some pictures along the way, it's nothing ground breaking, just for my own documenting really.

Also stripped the chassis down today to replace mis-matched bolts, most of which appear to have been greased, I'm not really sure of the reason behind this, but they've all been cleaned and threadlocked now.

I also noticed the wheels weigh over 3/4 of a kilo!

Given there is 6 in total, that's over 1kg of weight just in wheels.

I think this truck must have weighed a good 6kg to be honest, I plan on stripping some of that weight back, it desperately needs a diet.

I'm also 95% sure I'm going to aim for a Camel Trophy theme.

Can anyone confirm what type of yellow is used, or is there different ones?

I saw a yellow I like already, but I'm unsure if it would be 'correct'

Some glue just to hold things in place.

Getting a bit of filler on to repair certain areas, I still want the inner wheelarch to be smooth so that will be fillered.

The rear has so much on because the spare wheel had been attached before the paint was fully dried and it pulled a lot of the paint off, which has all but ruined the tyre as it seems to have reacted with the rubber, which is highly disappointing, you can see this in an earlier picture.

Bit of cable tie pikery!

Rubbed down all the blemishes and stuck glue from the bonnet.

Chassis getting some work.

Old 09-19-2016, 01:39 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Chassis rebuild all done, just an example below of one bolt, covered in grease... Still not managed to work out exactly why lol!

All shocks rebuilt, all loose bolts put in, any worn bolts replaced, all running smooth and perfectly now.

Bit of reinforment in the backing of the body too, it can't hurt and more fillering and sanding done too.

Smile ;)

Also picked up the paint for it today, just waiting for a second hand set of steelies to come up for sale.

Old 09-19-2016, 02:27 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Always happy to see a new Defender on the front page!

It's got to be interesting picking up a used rig and trying to guess why folk did what you're looking at Very nice job piecing it all back together. Was quite the wound she had.

Did you score an interior with it?

Hope to see more!
2kind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:15 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kind View Post
Always happy to see a new Defender on the front page!

It's got to be interesting picking up a used rig and trying to guess why folk did what you're looking at Very nice job piecing it all back together. Was quite the wound she had.

Did you score an interior with it?

Hope to see more!
Thanks for the comment
I definitely couldn't let this one gather dust!
Not sure what front page you mean though
Interior wise, it does have the front section, the guy I bought it off had chopped part of the rear though, it's not the best job, so I'll no doubt scratch build the rear.
I'm not sure what I'm going to do with that yet, that's more excitement for another day
Old 09-21-2016, 01:04 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Small update, I primered the body to show up any imperfections, I do want there to be some, no Land Rover is perfect, so I'm purposely not trying to make it a 'showroom' vehicle, but I do at least want it to look neatly repaired.

Got most of the fillering finished now, with a few minor spots to touch up.

The most of the sanding is also done, paint won't happen for a while because I want to get the interior mocked up and everything before that happens.

I have also removed the little tabs that hold the rear windows in, something always bugged me about those.

I might do the side and top ones too, I'm unsure yet, but it's just one of those things that looks strange to me, probably just going to glue the windows in and hope I never have to replace one lol.

I also made a rear view mirror, I feel it's something to just add a little detail.

I checked loads of Land Rover images and they all seemed different, so I just went with my own design that wouldn't be too challenging to make.

I was going to make it articulating, but decided not to because I'd never be able to move it when the windscreen is in.

And just to prove I do actually sometimes concentrate LOL!...

More sanding!

One of my trucks (on the mug) inspiring the next one...

Old 09-21-2016, 10:52 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Great body work so far keep it up.
4X4 Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:16 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Well executed body repair work! Since you know how to work with styrene, fix that fuel filler to correct angle. Should be easy!
Halme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:35 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the comments
Yep, fuel filler is on my list of things to do lol, I was going to make one from scratch and I did actually started, but then decided to cheat as I already have a 3D printed one here, which I plan to just modify instead :P
Old 09-22-2016, 03:06 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Not really much of an update, just finished the interior rear view mirror.

I was searching for some reflective foil tape, all I could find was something which was still quite dull, so a local shopkeeper actually gave me the idea to use the self adhesive stuff you use on car wing mirrors, this stuff is so close to a real mirror it will pass an MOT with it on, which, you can't get much closer than that

Also made a small start on the interior, got some dolls house carpet and put that in to neaten it up a bit.

I initially wasn't sure if I was going to have full back seats or maybe a bench seat or something, but I feel it would look quite unrealistic, because it needs to sit too high to clear the wheel arches and shock towers, I can't really see a logical way around it without doing a lot of modifications to the suspension, so I'm going with the lesser of two evils and just running it as a general area for scale items and stuff that might be needed for the driver/passengers.

This also had the added bonus that a normal sized battery can fit across the chassis because the interior can sit a little bit higher.

Not quite sure how I will attach the rear portion of the interior solidly to the body yet, I do want the option of being able to remove it without having to crack glue off and such, but that's something to figure out another day

Old 09-23-2016, 06:11 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Nice restoration bro!
Looking forward to updates!
boolean21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 02:59 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by boolean21 View Post
Nice restoration bro!
Looking forward to updates!
Thanks, glad you're liking it... Keeps me motivated to finish it
Old 09-24-2016, 04:33 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

This has thrown a bit of a spanner in the works.

I just put some 1.55s wheels and tyres I've got up against the body, just to satisfy curisoity, I always thought 1.55s looked too small on D90s, but for some reason, I really like how this looks.

Anyone care to share an opinion?

Obviously they aren't lined up perfectly, so use a little bit of imagination.

I'm undecided... Hmm.

EDIT; If any member of staff wants to move this to a more general build section, that's fine, I just realised it's in the 1.9 section and I'm contemplating putting it on 1.55s now!
Old 09-24-2016, 05:23 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Great job on repairing that body! I think those 1.55's look a bit small..
norco kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:17 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Small updates, laid down some primer, most of the repairs are right where I want them to be, I also received the snorkel today, I did plan to make one entirely from scratch, but the styrene tube I bought wouldn't bend tightly enough without flattening on the edges, I also can't source 6mm solid rod from anywhere either, I had a quick check and found this one (exactly how I was going to make mine) on DJ Designs, so figured I would cheat and just go for the pre-made route, although it will need chopping and has already been modified slightly, it needs to be a little bit shorter, both front to back and height, to accomodate the cage.

I've got the fuel cap hole done and the fuel cap fits in correctly, now I've added a small piece to the body, for some reason nobody seems to make a fuel cap that actually fits correctly.

Also decided I would indeed remove the window lugs from around the edges of them all, I think it looks much better for such a tiny change.

Also got some little bits of styrene in place which will hopefully hold the interior back in place too, the interior won't be glued in, I want the option to remove it and this was the only way I could really think to hold it securely (I hope) while still allowing me to quite easily remove the whole interior.

Getting there, slowly

Old 09-28-2016, 03:27 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Great build so far bud i cant wait to see more!
Emedina1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:14 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Should be more updates to come
The biggest one being the colour lol.
I'm kinda having second thoughts about my initial plan of a Camel Trophy theme and I'm considering something else.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:42 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

I was quite sure I wanted to follow the Camel Trophy theme, but now I'm not so sure.
I don't really know what's caused me to question how I want it to look, maybe the fact I'm copying small pieces from several different vehicles, or the fact the roof rack doesn't look quite right, wheel choice is also becoming a big factor because I can't decide which to go with.
So I'm considering perhaps moving away from a strict 'theme' and just go with a nice colour, white roof, black arches and get it muddy.
I do still like the Sand Glow Yellow funnily enough, but unsure if to go that route.
Here's my current four options that I have several tins brand new on my shelf.
Any opinions would be appreciated.
Perhaps a few inspirational images, if someone sees one that looks good in a colour the same or close to one of these.
My old Landy D90 pick up I built was this same red, so I know that does look nice (to my taste) but unsure if to do it again with this one.

Old 09-30-2016, 01:09 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

So, one of the niggling things that I've previously mentioned need sorting, was when the body shattered, it took a tiny triangular piece out of one of the window surrounds.

I got to fixing that with some trusty Green Putty!

Nice and smooth now... (ignore the masking tape)

Got the inside all painted black.

I also got the snorkel sprayed up, I went with the original Rover Sand Glow that I had planned to spray the whole body, merely to see how it looked when it dried.

It doesn't (to my eye) look like Camel Trophy Yellow, which is highly disappointing.

I'm also not too happy with how the snorkel looks either, so I might resort to a more side vent one and be done with it.

Someone also pointed out that the body has a design point that's wrong, the rear should go straight up instead of with a mild angle, so I set about fixing that as well.

That's all for now, my spray woes continue, still haven't chosen a colour, so I'm trying to find out if there are any other details I want to change on the body.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:05 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Well, some of the interior is together, since the door cards arrived, I'm not going overboard with details on the interior, most of it won't ever be seen anyway and most the Landy interiors I've seen have been pretty plain and black, so I'm just not going to bother doing too much in there.

Also laid down some primer, unfortunately a fly decided to land on the roof which was annoying, but there's a couple of spots that need some sanding anyway so I'll let it fully dry then hit it with some wet and dry and see how it looks.

All paint prepped.

Two decent layers of primer on.

Close up shot of the panel that was smashed, not too bad of a repair job even if I say so myself...

OHOs RC4WD Gelande II D110 (finally) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC4WD Gelande 2 D110 Build/Review Crawlorado719 1.9 Scale Rigs 50 03-25-2017 06:35 PM
RC4WD Gelande II D110 Truck Kit w/Hard Body build/review HARDRIVE General Scale Talk 418 09-24-2016 11:42 AM
RC4WD Gelande II D110 JatoTheRipper 1.9 Scale Rigs 21 12-10-2014 01:04 AM