Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: My Gelande 2 Land Cruiser FJ40

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2015, 04:29 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default My Gelande 2 Land Cruiser FJ40

Been tinkering around with this off and on, so I thought it might be time to start up a thread for it.

I'm going for a new-ish, "restored" look rather than the weathered look, and this is my direction.

I had some parts laying around for the G2 so I picked up a chassis set from RPP, and then snagged the body set when they were available.

Taking Q's from some of the masters that built these already, I started figuring out a way to convert it to leaf springs. I also created some parts for the rear bumper.

I am currently making the exterior of the body a bit more detailed for my taste. I'm adding real hood/windshield catches rather than the molded-in catches. Also, a swing out tire carrier, license plate bracket and rear tailgate latches. This is what I have so far.

Has anyone determined what year this is supposed to be modeled after? After spending many hours in the Google images, it seems to be narrowed down to a 1973. The interior seems to be a mixture of 70, 73, and 83. I think I may create a completely new dash to coincide with the exterior, with the detail I like.

Progressing slowly.
58_Willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2015, 05:39 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: My Gelande 2 Land Cruiser FJ40

Good jerb leaf springing it. Is it a difficult conversion? I can't decide whether or not to leave mine alone, or leaf it like a tree...

I also love the Nebula (niagara) green. Thought about painting my Cruiser Spring Green, but may go with Dione Blue because it's what I already have...
Reflektr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 03:52 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflektr View Post
Good jerb leaf springing it. Is it a difficult conversion? I can't decide whether or not to leave mine alone, or leaf it like a tree...

I also love the Nebula (niagara) green. Thought about painting my Cruiser Spring Green, but may go with Dione Blue because it's what I already have...
Thanks. Not difficult to do the springs but you will need to drill the frame. Start by attaching the springs to your axle with the mounts in place on the springs. Set the position at the rear by setting the body in place, mark for the holes and drill them out. This needs to be done carefully so the tire is in the wheel well correctly, on both sides. Once my marks were in place, I took the frame apart and bolted the 2 side rails together and drilled the necessary holes.
[IMG][/IMG]

Do the front the same way, but the forward spring mount needs to be engineered to fit the chassis. I chose to notch the spring mount to fit the frame cross member and drilled the extra hole to complete the mount.
[IMG][/IMG]

I like this color for looking old school and different from everyone else. I'd like to see the blue. I don't think anybody has done one of these in blue yet. I might be wrong.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:05 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Thank you for posting those pictures and explaining how you did it! That helps out quite a bit!

I hope to lay some paint down on mine this weekend. I think that pretty much seals the deal on these little rigs...
Reflektr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 06:33 PM   #5

like the spring conversion. What brand did you end up using?
Also sent you a PM.
Keep up the good work!
unimogrob16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 12:50 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by unimogrob16 View Post
like the spring conversion. What brand did you end up using?
Also sent you a PM.
Keep up the good work!
Didn't see your pm, but to answer your question, these were the same springs used for TF2, with some Tamiya hangers and such.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:40 PM   #7

Thanks.
Looks like I sent it into oblivion.
I will re-send PM.
unimogrob16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:15 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Very nice job! I am planning a Gelande II Cruiser build and the leaf spring conversion you did looks awesome! I have TF2 shackle mounts and leafs coming and hope to mount them like you did. How strong are the front mounts with that notch? It sure beats hacking the cross member, eh? This is the scariest part for me, figuring out how to mount the front bits. Great job!

Oh what length are your shocks front and rear? are they the same?

Last edited by ZippoMan; 03-01-2016 at 10:19 PM.
ZippoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:26 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippoMan View Post
Very nice job! I am planning a Gelande II Cruiser build and the leaf spring conversion you did looks awesome! I have TF2 shackle mounts and leafs coming and hope to mount them like you did. How strong are the front mounts with that notch? It sure beats hacking the cross member, eh? This is the scariest part for me, figuring out how to mount the front bits. Great job!

Oh what length are your shocks front and rear? are they the same?
The strength up front might be compromised a little but these are a one piece unit so I think they'll be fine. Try to make your notch as tight to cross member as you can, to help with strength.

Shocks are eye-to-eye: 80mm front and 70mm rear.

Thanks for looking.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:38 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I have to order me some of those Old Man Emu's!! I love the looks, too bad you have to pay extra for boots!! It is tough being in Canada now with a super weak dollar. Parts cost a fortune! I have to have the good stuff though...hehehe.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:36 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Did you use 3mm spacers for the leafs to mount onto the axles? Just curious. Thanks for any further info.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:33 PM   #12
Official Scale Nazi

Your leaf conversion is super clean. Bumperettes look awesome!
pigeonfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 07:52 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Thanks guys. The spacers I used were either 2 and 3mm or 3 and 4mm. This creates a slight offset on the axle that helps to keep the camber right.

The bumperettes were actually difficult to get just right...these are my 3rd attempt. You can buy them now from CChand.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:44 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Thanks man! Yeah I bought the CChand newer bumper, bumperettes & even the fancy tire carrier for mine!! I am nuts!! It's only money!! LOL Yikes!! Loads of it!!

So on the rear would the taller spacer be towards the back end, and on the front it would be at the front end? I am trying to figure the tilt angle. I guess that would make sense?

Last edited by ZippoMan; 03-19-2016 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:48 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippoMan View Post
Thanks man! Yeah I bought the CChand newer bumper, bumperettes & even the fancy tire carrier for mine!! I am nuts!! It's only money!! LOL Yikes!! Loads of it!!

So on the rear would the taller spacer be towards the back end, and on the front it would be at the front end? I am trying to figure the tilt angle. I guess that would make sense?
You had me scratching my head, so I went and looked at it again. They are the same on the front and rear axles. The larger spacer towards the front on the rear axle will angle it up toward the trans. On the front, the spacer positioned up front, gives it a more reasonable caster angle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KraZeR169 View Post
Awesome build sir!
Thank you. Just waiting for a little warmer weather and a slow down from work, to get back into it.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:46 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Just an update on my side here. I got a bunch of spacers from RC4WD today. I am going with the 3mm & 2mm combo. It keeps the leaf as flat to the axle as possible. I will also go with your recommendation for placement. On rear axle the 3mm will be on rear side and the 2mm on the front side of axle. Front end same as you say. I know it is a mind bender..lol.

I think I have to wait and get Gmade Sawback shackle mount. I am not liking the RC4WD TF2 ones. I am confused on the mounting! I am thinking why can't the sawback hangers that clamp over the frame work for the front? Is it due to positioning? I was hoping to not have to cut any frame or hangers. I ordered a set of shackles with the white plastic tire rims so I can mess around a bit. Waiting game is still on. Sorry if I am hijacking your thread. I might have to start a new one I guess. I am calling my build project DreamLand!
Old 03-13-2017, 06:02 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Are the upper shock mounts on the rear easy? Did you have to drill them or were they there? I have not looked at my kit in so long. I was waiting for parts and time just flew by.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:16 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I guess I will try and figure out how to mount the shocks when I get to that point. I looks like new holes had to be drilled and tapped. I don't really want to cut that plate off and have no place for my electronics. I have to get going on my project soon.......lol

I am super slow.

My Gelande 2 Land Cruiser FJ40 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Custom RC4WD Gelande FJ40 Land Cruiser Alpha Male 1.9 Scale Rigs 5 02-12-2016 02:07 PM
OHO's RC4WD Gelande II Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 Oh How Original 1.9 Scale Rigs 8 09-03-2015 10:28 AM
Rc4wd gelande 2 land cruiser neon9 1.9 Scale Rigs 8 06-16-2015 09:40 PM
My land cruiser FJ40 NewImage Tamiya CR-01 8 06-02-2011 07:03 AM