Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: hillbilly's LOW RANGE inspired cab swapped bronco

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2017, 01:54 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default hillbilly's LOW RANGE inspired cab swapped bronco

First off this is my first scale project, so I hope I do it justice. Lol

After getting my rgt and finding out its a barrage clone. I was going to build it with the early bronco body that came with it. Doing my research for inspiration I realized that there are a ton of early bronco builds which was kinda off putting to me. Then the search for something different I liked the rj speed scrambler body since I was looking for bodies for swb. Which has a short wheel base versus stock so it would be more of a stretched scrambler. (Still like the idea) but no real inspiration out there I could find. Then hard body came to mind for scale and I found the tamyia Blackfoot body
More research there are builds but not many which I liked. Then found my inspiration.

I came across this what I thought was a f-150. But found out looking for more pictures it's a 88 bronco with a f250 cab and shortened bed. Also research lead me back here (rcc) and it's a members 1:1 rig. So I sent a pm his (LOW RANGE) way asking if he would mind if I build a loosely based scale version of his rig. Which he was all for it and also sent me a link to more pics of all the work he has done to it.
I searched for a Blackfoot body not a easy task for my cheap a$$, but found one after a couple months for about half of most I found.

So here we are, parts list
Red cat everest 10 axles full of axial parts
Rgt chassis w/ scx10 shock hoops
Shocks - front big bore 100mm/ rear big bore 90mm w/ small lift kit, front mini t springs and flux no preload cups
Rc4wd R2 trans in forward mount
Rc4wd hammer T-case
3 link front/4 link rear
Cms- servo ds3218
Austar tsl / China beadlocks
Rc4wd tf2 roll bar w/ placement plate as flatbed
Scaler fab Rubicon pre runner front bumper (scx10)
Wertymade 4" rear bumper (scx10)
Rc4wd 35t

A link to my first thoughts and other things with the rgt.
RGT bronco

Last edited by hillbillyrc; 07-24-2018 at 11:45 AM. Reason: adding to parts list.
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2017, 12:49 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: hillbilly's LOW RANGE inspired cab swapped bronco

After some R&S (research and searching), I'm going to be using different axle housings going to pick up a set of ottsix housings and 3 link the front instead of 4 link.

Last edited by hillbillyrc; 03-16-2017 at 07:19 AM. Reason: changed my mind
Old 03-15-2017, 04:13 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Some pics cause this build is worthless so far.

Early bronco

Cab swap

Stock rgt bumpers are a little wide

Moved out the bumpers to get the body lower to check it out.

Track width isn't bad

Definitely need to fix the wheel base which I knew about. Shouldn't be hard once the rear is leafed. Then I can start work on the drop bed and new rear fenders.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:44 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Just ordered some rear tf2 leafs and mounts so I can leaf the rear and set the wb right for the body.

Also put the stock wheels and tires back on since they are closer to the 1.7 iroks than the 1.9 treps

Last edited by hillbillyrc; 03-17-2017 at 08:50 AM. Reason: forgot wheel and tire change.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:43 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

looking forward to your progress. Very interested in your rear leaf conversion
bob_suruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:48 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Looks good with the Bronco body, F150 hardbody is nice, what brand is it? I like leaf springs, mmmm pics too.

Edit: buddy of mine's dad built an early 80's F-150 flatbed with hidden 5th wheel hitch under the diamond plate bed on a corresponding early 80's Bronco frame, that truck was badass!

Last edited by Natedog; 03-17-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:11 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Looks good with the Bronco body, F150 hardbody is nice, what brand is it? I like leaf springs, mmmm pics too.

Edit: buddy of mine's dad built an early 80's F-150 flatbed with hidden 5th wheel hitch under the diamond plate bed on a corresponding early 80's Bronco frame, that truck was badass!
The body is the 2016 tamiya Blackfoot body. I found it for a steal of a deal on ebay so I hoped on it quick.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:23 PM   #8
RCC Addict

One more pic of 1:1 with half doors. which I'll make mine with half doors cause who doesn't like half doors.

Also for wheels I've kinda narrowed it down to a couple unless I can find a better match to the 1:1

2pc 1/10 Scale Beadlock Metal 1.9" Wheel rim w/ Hub Fr RC Crawler SCX10 CC01 D90 | eBay

1.9 HM Beadlock Aluminum Wheel Devil-8 (2) Boom Racing | eBay

Last edited by hillbillyrc; 03-17-2017 at 01:29 PM. Reason: add pic instead of link
Old 03-17-2017, 03:06 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

It's been awhile since I had a Blackfoot and forgot the wheelbase is 247mm. Truck will look how with half doors, I like the first wheel better, but wish it had weight and width specs.

The AsiaTees Boom Racing wheels don't look bad, but they are the 'HM' or high mass wheels which are crazy heavy due to steel inner rings, can make your own from PVC pipe or buy some aluminum rings from Vanquish or RC4WD depending on actual wheel width. If you buy, get the ones for Proline tires imo.

Last edited by Natedog; 03-17-2017 at 03:17 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:03 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I forgot about the high mass wheels. I liked the first ones more anyways and was planning on running beef paties so the high mass would be over kill.

Last edited by hillbillyrc; 03-17-2017 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:35 PM   #11
RCC Addict

My tf2 rear leaf set up came in, now to find time to set it up.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:05 AM   #12
RCC Addict

It's a rtr setup off a tf2. I got it with hangers, shackles, shackle mounts and leaf Springs (3 leaf pack).*

I was just looking at it and to make it work with the rgt (barrage clone) and everest10 axles (scx10 clone) I need to either space the mounts off the chassis ( I think would place stress on the bolts and mounts ) or space a mount inward on the axle (with everest axles only one mount hole on top vs scx10 axle has two. So I would have to make a mount that bolts on top and comes down to the lower link mounts or off the lockouts and across the top. If I do that I might as well make a rear truss. One reason I have been thinking about switching to ottsix tko axles.

Really wish I could get parts from rcbros leaf kit
Old 03-23-2017, 10:37 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I have had some satin blue paint and some satin black sitting around since fall. I Got a good price on it so I can paint my 1:1 xj. I just haven't had to chance to paint it with winter and all. Then I was looking around at satin blue 80's f150s and found this

I know it's a street truck but the paint job I really like and have the paint so my paint scheme is set. Remember "loosely based"
Old 03-25-2017, 02:31 PM   #14
RCC Addict

I was tinkering with the leafs last night. Kinda got them mocked up but still need to drill holes for the front hangers but need to look at options first before. Also was able to make a scx10 cheap aluminum bumper mount fit. That just gives me more options for a lot of parts. I'm going to pick up some rear hoops but for the front cause the way the frame is set up.

As you can see the stock clone flat irons are back on and rtr wheels.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:21 AM   #15
RCC Addict

My rc4wd dual rate 80mm shocks showed up yesterday need to find time to install them.

Need to finish mounting the leafs, the hangers still need to fitted and chassis drilled to mount then I can figure out what size rear shocks is needed. And build a anti-wrap bar. Along with Chino mod the leafs.

Last edited by hillbillyrc; 03-28-2017 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 04:06 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Finally got some free time, swapped out the plastic big bores for the dual rate rc4wd shocks. Need to get the closer to finish weight to figure out if the the springs are to frim. Also started tinkering with the cms. Definitely a work in progress but I think I'm moving in the right direction.

Also I've really been thinking about shock hoops. With the new front shocks the stock hoops fugly and bulky. So new hoop have been on my mind. Also since I'll be doing a drop bed the rear shock will need to be relocated. The gear head kit seems like it might be the ticket and help with the leafs to.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:06 PM   #17
RCC Addict

After a bunch of research, I think I have a plan of action for the mounting of my leaf springs. I have a good chuck of 1x1 aluminum angle from a project I did on my 1:1 xj. (Love leftover parts lol) so my idea is to make mounts for the axle that mount on top the housing that utilizes the one hole on top and the top hole on the diff something like a mini truss, also make a shock relocation like the gearhead kit.

And on another project inside this build the drop bed. Well after watching one of imthatguy's YouTube videos about styrene (great video by the way) I'm just going cut the stock Blackfoot bed away from the body and build a new bed as I think it will be easier in the long run to get the final product I'm after versus modifying about 85% of the stock bed to what I'm after.

My very crudely drawn idea for mini truss/ leaf spring mounts.

Last edited by hillbillyrc; 04-13-2017 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:28 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Picked up a new to me transmission, but not an scx10 trans something a little more versatile and metal gears.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:03 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Just waiting on my rc4wd r2 trans, debating on using stock transmission as a transfer case. Also picked up some drill bits, dermal cut off wheels and mandel as I was out of wheels and could not find my mandel for them. Now I'm ready when I find some time to start cutting and drilling mounting the leafs and cms will be done. Maybe make the bed come off the cab and work on that too.

Last edited by hillbillyrc; 04-17-2017 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:50 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Had the day off today and found some time in the afternoon for some work, so I took my rgt down the farthest I've gone with it straight down to the bare frame rails. First I drilled one side to get the hanger mounted.

Then I bolted the two rails together so I could mirror the holes on the other rail.

Then reinstall the parts needed and we have LEAF SPRINGS!

Now we come to my sketch of my idea for axle leaf mounts

Here is one side cause that's all I got done. All eyeballed not to bad for a dermal and a drill.

Still need to make the driver side mini truss, drill holes for shock mounting, make a gearheadish upper relocation shock mount. Which then I can figure out rear shock length needed. And either make or buy pinion angle shims.

hillbilly's LOW RANGE inspired cab swapped bronco - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rock bouncer vs. Low range crawler ShagbarkSheriff Axial Wraith 13 12-03-2016 08:38 PM
need low range gear dhoffroad General Crawlers 6 02-05-2006 09:23 PM
2.2's without low range mod ?? dhoffroad General Crawlers 17 01-30-2006 01:22 PM
Surging when in low range/ axles won't shift theone13 General Crawlers 3 09-02-2005 09:34 PM