Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Recommended motor for a heavy weight?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2017, 07:25 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Recommended motor for a heavy weight?

Hey guys, I got me a fatty! I dont know how much she weighs fully loaded down, but i would say close to 10lbs if not a little more.

So the other day when i took her for a ride, she was struggling through some grass. Almost stopped in one spot of thick grass. Grass was up about the height of the tires, so it was making a path. Trying to make it up the hill i thought i might need to give it a push.

Shes a SCX10 at its core with a stock 27T. I ordered a new RC4WD 35T today thinking she was just wore out, but then 35T would make it even slower right? Its already super slow. I dont want slower. I cant even walk at a normal pace when walking in grass with it. Its a little faster than my pace on dry land though.

Seems like it slowed down after i stripped out my stock trans gears and switched over to the HotRacing Aluminum set. Same tooth count as stock. Cant be the cause i wouldnt think. Right?

Any recommendations? I dont want to win a drag race, but i dont want to be a granny walking a dog either. Will this 35T pep it up or slow it down even more? Should i be looking elsewhere? Different spur gear options?

My buddy has a 35T on his Ascender and it is like "warp speed scotty" compared to mine.

I have a lot of new parts coming in for a new build, but will be hoping to still use my old parts while i upgrade my blazer. Guess you could call it a swap/new build?

Any thoughts?
Thanks

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
webbl19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2017, 09:06 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Recommended motor for a heavy weight?

Random thought, but are your batteries getting weak/not taking a charge?
Junkk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:53 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbl19 View Post
Hey guys, I got me a fatty! I dont know how much she weighs fully loaded down, but i would say close to 10lbs if not a little more.

So the other day when i took her for a ride, she was struggling through some grass. Almost stopped in one spot of thick grass. Grass was up about the height of the tires, so it was making a path. Trying to make it up the hill i thought i might need to give it a push.

Shes a SCX10 at its core with a stock 27T. I ordered a new RC4WD 35T today thinking she was just wore out, but then 35T would make it even slower right? Its already super slow. I dont want slower. I cant even walk at a normal pace when walking in grass with it. Its a little faster than my pace on dry land though.

Seems like it slowed down after i stripped out my stock trans gears and switched over to the HotRacing Aluminum set. Same tooth count as stock. Cant be the cause i wouldnt think. Right?

Any recommendations? I dont want to win a drag race, but i dont want to be a granny walking a dog either. Will this 35T pep it up or slow it down even more? Should i be looking elsewhere? Different spur gear options?

My buddy has a 35T on his Ascender and it is like "warp speed scotty" compared to mine.

I have a lot of new parts coming in for a new build, but will be hoping to still use my old parts while i upgrade my blazer. Guess you could call it a swap/new build?

Any thoughts?
Thanks
If you have a buddy and you admire his rc car's performance.
Why not simply ask 'im what you need do to get on the same performance level ?

Possibly he knows something... or got the gist of things from someone else ?

If he's unwilling to assist... that's one lousy buddy

You can be sure of one thing... it will suck up more of your coin...
But it's the price ya gotta pay if ya want more.

Maybe try a 550 sized can since yer junk is on the hefty side ?
Could offer a little more torque and reliability to your over-weight toy.
Using 3s - 6s will net you more power for increasing speed and torque.

My 1/6 scale also weighs in around 12 lbs.
I use a HH's 35t 540 running 3s voltage offering respectable torque and speed for my 1/6 crawler.
Doubt that tall, thick grass would slow it up much.
But if it did... that's what 6s is for = lawn shredder.

Don't compare 35t budget motors to 35t HH's quality built motor...
the difference between those is that of night and day.

But if ya wanna go faster in top speed... then go brushless/sensored.
You can likely obtain more top speed utilizing less voltage.

Tho' you can make a brushed 540 - 550 run fairly spirited using 6S voltage.
But crappy low budget 540 - 550 motors might not like that, nor hold up...
and so ya shouldn't supply more voltage then a 3s could supply to most of those low cost budget motors.

Here's my HH's 35t TM expt. - BR/XL ESC (brushed) running 3s and 6s voltage.
It could be geared up for faster top end speed... but it's not what I need in a crawler.
I need brute torque and quick acceleration and care little about top end speeds that are much faster then I can walk.

https://youtu.be/J1BMM51y25M

I was going to make a video just for you, thrashing thru tall, thick grass...
But my slipper became loose and I forgot my wrench to tighten that down.
So that video capture didn't happen.
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:10 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkk5 View Post
Random thought, but are your batteries getting weak/not taking a charge?
Its possible, but i eat up 2 2s lipos, one was 5000mah and one was 3300mah before he eats up one 2200mah 3s.

I put all my batteries on the balencer. Kind of annoying to have to change batteries all the time. Id say only about 30mins of slow crawling on each battery.

Old 03-25-2017, 08:27 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoCrawler View Post
If you have a buddy and you admire his rc car's performance.
Why not simply ask 'im what you need do to get on the same performance level ?

Possibly he knows something... or got the gist of things from someone else ?

If he's unwilling to assist... that's one lousy buddy

You can be sure of one thing... it will suck up more of your coin...
But it's the price ya gotta pay if ya want more.

Maybe try a 550 sized can since yer junk is on the hefty side ?
Could offer a little more torque and reliability to your over-weight toy.
Using 3s - 6s will net you more power for increasing speed and torque.

My 1/6 scale also weighs in around 12 lbs.
I use a HH's 35t 540 running 3s voltage offering respectable torque and speed for my 1/6 crawler.
Doubt that tall, thick grass would slow it up much.
But if it did... that's what 6s is for = lawn shredder.

Don't compare 35t budget motors to 35t HH's quality built motor...
the difference between those is that of night and day.

But if ya wanna go faster in top speed... then go brushless/sensored.
You can likely obtain more top speed utilizing less voltage.

Tho' you can make a brushed 540 - 550 run fairly spirited using 6S voltage.
But crappy low budget 540 - 550 motors might not like that, nor hold up...
and so ya shouldn't supply more voltage then a 3s could supply to most of those low cost budget motors.

Here's my HH's 35t TM expt. - BR/XL ESC (brushed) running 3s and 6s voltage.
It could be geared up for faster top end speed... but it's not what I need in a crawler.
I need brute torque and quick acceleration and care little about top end speeds that are much faster then I can walk.

https://youtu.be/J1BMM51y25M

I was going to make a video just for you, thrashing thru tall, thick grass...
But my slipper became loose and I forgot my wrench to tighten that down.
So that video capture didn't happen.
Thanks for the feedback Taco. Unfortunately we are both noobs in this world, ive been in it longer so hes not a source of truth for me with experience. This is his first truck and ive been tinkering on mine for a little over a year now. Never made any power changes to my rig.

I dont want to go Ricky Bobby fast, but if i want to bash and do a donut or try out a sweet jump i want to give it a shot to see what i can break. You know every guy has a lead foot sometimes. Its embarrassing when you try and the comparison is like a go cart against a Hemi, me being the go cart.

I guess my main goal is to find out why my batteries are discharging so fast. Used to be able to go around on one battery for about an hour, now im down to 2 batteries in an hour and i have to carry the truck back to the car. Ive added a lot of weight since then, so just figured it was weight related. Trying to pull it through.

Sure i can carry more batteries, but i would rather fill my pockets with things i might need to fix it. Been a lot of trail fixes lately.

I figured it because shes so fat, but it doesnt sound uncommon for heavy trucks.

I also greased some gears last night hoping that might help with friction or something. Shoot i dunno. Maybe im just shooting for the stars.

I think the 3s is what i need for speed by looking at your video and seeing the difference, but im only jumping up 1s, so well see i guess. Dunno if that will help the longevity of the juice though, maybe needing less power to pull it will help save it?

My junk on the trail lol

Old 03-25-2017, 09:40 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I would say go with a quality 3s lipo and a Holmes motor. I have run a HH 35T in several rigs that I have had over the years including an 11lb wraith with no issues and plenty of torque. TacoCrawler has a great point, not all 35T motors are created equally. With the set up I run now I run a 35T HH Expert with a MMP on two paralleled 3s 850mah lipos... I can crawl on that for over an hour before they die and those are really small batteries.... same size as a 7950 Servo. When I was running a 5000mah battery on 2s I was able to run for close to 3.5 hours crawling conservatively and almost 2 hours trail running with higher speed stuff. You might also crack open the axles and grease the gears, check to make sure everything is running smoothly and not binding. Water is hard on these little trucks if you fail to maintain them properly parts wear out quickly.
mr.rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:57 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.rick View Post
I would say go with a quality 3s lipo and a Holmes motor. I have run a HH 35T in several rigs that I have had over the years including an 11lb wraith with no issues and plenty of torque. TacoCrawler has a great point, not all 35T motors are created equally. With the set up I run now I run a 35T HH Expert with a MMP on two paralleled 3s 850mah lipos... I can crawl on that for over an hour before they die and those are really small batteries.... same size as a 7950 Servo. When I was running a 5000mah battery on 2s I was able to run for close to 3.5 hours crawling conservatively and almost 2 hours trail running with higher speed stuff. You might also crack open the axles and grease the gears, check to make sure everything is running smoothly and not binding. Water is hard on these little trucks if you fail to maintain them properly parts wear out quickly.
Thanks for the info. I will look into the HH motors. Havent greased my axles in awhile, so i will do that also. When i push it by hand it doesnt feel like its bindingvup anywhere, but i do feel like it got a little smoother after i greased my new transmission gears.

I too was able to run for quite awhile on my 5000mah, so not sure what happened.
When i go to put the batteries on the charger they read around 6v, so they seem to be discharging appropriately.

Old 03-25-2017, 01:13 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Using locked axle(s) will require more then 3s and a 35t motor to do donuts in 4wd.

But 3s with a 35t HH's mtr. nets some wheel spin when you need - want that.
But it's a controlled wheel spin at slower speeds... not WFO out of control.

If ya want to do donuts using locked axle(s)/4wd... you'll want to run 6s on preferably loose terrain

Or utilize less sticky tire compounds that slip easier on hard surfaces...
'cuz if they hook up... weak components in the drive line will likely give up ship

But the drive train can be made stronger... if money is spent.
AKA Bombproof is how many describe that build up.

The trick is to use quality e components and not the budget, low dolla junk.

Skimping on motor quality is the difference of holding up... or ending life in a billow of smoke.

A quality ESC helps too because it will handle the voltage thrown at it...
and still drive smoothly at most any voltage it can accept.

There are budget ESC's that do acceptably well for their cost...
But they may not hold up if ya push them to their limits.

Reality is... what Crawler ya select/use...
is not as critical as selecting and using quality e components.
The later should be the heart of your investment. alimo

After running 6s...
I doubt I'd buy an esc that is not 6s capable. Even if I only ran it using 3s.
Having the ability... is always better then not having that.

Doesn't mean you have to... but you can

Last edited by TacoCrawler; 03-25-2017 at 06:04 PM.
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote

Recommended motor for a heavy weight? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weight distrubution - to front heavy Desmo Vaterra Ascender 5 12-05-2016 12:27 PM
Stock weight vs heavy weight? Jeff@TireBalls Axial Wraith 20 02-15-2014 10:07 PM
recommended knuckle weight? nitrooxide EnRoute Berg 15 08-05-2013 11:31 PM
heavy or light weight? klaygrover Axial AX-10 Scorpion 4 10-15-2009 02:41 PM
The next UFC Heavy Weight Champion Kamikaze Chit Chat 18 01-31-2007 09:52 AM