Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: My first scaler - Project United Nations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2017, 05:02 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: My first scaler - Project United Nations

Those are the same leaf springs I got from boom racing they are stiff. Right now it's set up with the main leaf and the shortest leaf still stiff but better but I have no motor or transmission or battery I'm sure it will change when I get all that stuff on the frame.what type of shocks are you going to use?
seedburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2017, 06:27 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedburns View Post
Those are the same leaf springs I got from boom racing they are stiff. Right now it's set up with the main leaf and the shortest leaf still stiff but better but I have no motor or transmission or battery I'm sure it will change when I get all that stuff on the frame.what type of shocks are you going to use?
I'm actually considering these: https://www.banggood.com/2PCS-110-Sh...l?rmmds=search

I also ordered this thing to see what it's about: https://www.banggood.com/HSP-94180-G...p-1172466.html

The outputs are different and I'll have to do something on one side to be able to power the transfer case. I'm hoping this will just bolt to the side of the chassis since the RC4WD single speed I got doesn't sit right for my liking.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:50 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
I'm actually considering these: https://www.banggood.com/2PCS-110-Sh...l?rmmds=search

I also ordered this thing to see what it's about: https://www.banggood.com/HSP-94180-G...p-1172466.html

The outputs are different and I'll have to do something on one side to be able to power the transfer case. I'm hoping this will just bolt to the side of the chassis since the RC4WD single speed I got doesn't sit right for my liking.
Dose the Rc4wd transmission sit to high or to low. That's the transmission I was thinking of going with. How did you decide on shock length I was thinking more like 90mm shocks. The shocks I'm probably going to use are some gmade they look stock.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:42 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

The compressed lengths of those are nearly the same as my Axial 90mm. I'm not sure if the GMade length. But I won't run any springs so it'd be purely for shock absorption.

I'll get a couple of pics of the tranny tomorrow.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:12 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Default My first scaler - Project United Nations

It sits low and too close to the SCX axle.

Directly on top of the servo.

Doesn't fit well between the chassis rails and the bolt holes don't line up. I could use some teflon board scraps and make it fit perfect, but it'll still contact the linkages. But again, I have the leaf springs en route so that may be eliminated as well.

I'm going to give the cheap tranny I posted a few posts back a chance before I break down and get some Yota axles. But if I go that route, this won't be a budget build anymore. So I may as well get a Trail Finder body or something more capable and not as top heavy as this D90 body.

Last edited by Brake Weight; 08-12-2017 at 08:15 AM.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:29 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

In the last pic it looks like the motor sticks out past the bumper.does the body fit with the Rc4wd motor and transmission?I think we are both building the same truck lol.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:41 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Good eye. It does not fit with the motor mounted. That was the first test fit I had done with it mounted. Without the links and moved back between the shock towers it may work.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:12 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

The Chinese leaf springs came today so I quickly mounted them up. I used just the main leaf and 1 other leaf for the rear set. On the front I only removed the overload spring and ran 2 leaves plus the main leaf.

Started trying to sort the RC4WD tranny and discovered that it'll mount up just ahead of the rear spring perch for the front springs.

But nothing lines up right.

I decided I may as well drill some holes and run this tranny. It shouldn't be too hard of a deal since the frame is aluminum. I put the body on and pushed down to check the spring stiffness and then tried to do a flex test when something looked wrong.

Found this.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:56 PM   #29
clm
Quarry Creeper

Hmm there appears to be a slight defect in the chinesium, the fact you have broken 2 leafs in 3 spots without actually applying any electrical power is kind of scary...

Since you have the hardware for it now, perhaps a set of tamiya, gemade, or rc4wd bare springs would be something to pick up?

As for that Everse10/Maxstone10/HSP trans, that's a good price on it, I paid a bit over $14 on one from ebay the other day for a project.

As for your trans clearance issues, perhaps something like this would fit better?

1:5 Planetary Gear box Kit for 1/10 Crawler Racing D90 Axial Car Truck
clm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:36 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Default My first scaler - Project United Nations

Well I'll be GD. I looked and looked for a planetary and they were all $40+. I'll be ordering one of those. I wonder what the guts/gears looks like.

I just got my HSP trans today along with those leaf springs. It's a little loose on the output but just needs a shim or two. The actual outputs have a flat and not a hole to accept a pin like my Axial driveshafts so I'll need to address that.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:35 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Any progress.?
Old 08-26-2017, 06:41 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Any progress.?

Nada. I'm currently frustrated with it and waiting on new leaf springs.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:21 AM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Nada. I'm currently frustrated with it and waiting on new leaf springs.
I hate waiting on parts.I'm currently waiting on cage,leds rear light buckets and steering links.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:09 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I hate waiting on parts.I'm currently waiting on cage,leds rear light buckets and steering links.

I'm running around the idea of making a cantilever setup using the THammer front cams/links. It won't be near as 'scale' but would be more functional. Since the frame rails have so many mounting holes on them it shouldn't be too hard to mount and tune. But I would need to four link the rear and 3 link the front.

I'm also back to the drawing board for the front mount transmission. I'm getting closer to making one using the gears from an SCX10 tranny sandwiched between two plates of 2mm carbon fiber. I've got everything I need I just need to be sure to get the spacing dead on for the gears/bearings as well as the orientation I want the motor and output to be at.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:57 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

What gear ratio you going for?

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-2017, 05:52 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
What gear ratio you going for?

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

Whatever I can get right now. I've got two transfer cases. One is almost 1:1 and the other is 1:1. So that's what I'm working with and the SCX10 trans is 2.6:1. So I'll start out with an 80t motor and go from there. I can't remember the RC4WD axles, but IIRC they're taller than the SCX axles. I do have a Thunder Tiger tranny that looks like the SCX but it has taller gearing.

I'm borderline scrapping the project for now. I have a lexan Trail Stomper body that'd fit this chassis but I really want a hardbody, though. I've also got a lexan Jeep coming that I want on ar60s and massive 2.2s.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:31 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Whatever I can get right now. I've got two transfer cases. One is almost 1:1 and the other is 1:1. So that's what I'm working with and the SCX10 trans is 2.6:1. So I'll start out with an 80t motor and go from there. I can't remember the RC4WD axles, but IIRC they're taller than the SCX axles. I do have a Thunder Tiger tranny that looks like the SCX but it has taller gearing.

I'm borderline scrapping the project for now. I have a lexan Trail Stomper body that'd fit this chassis but I really want a hardbody, though. I've also got a lexan Jeep coming that I want on ar60s and massive 2.2s.
The 2.6:1 you mention for the SCX transmission does not include the spur/pinion reduction, which comes (standard) as 20/87, so another 4.something:1. Making the total about 11:1 (not counting the 13/39 diff reduction ).

My guess from all the parts you've shown would be the 5:1 planetary unit combined with the 2:1 transase already in the frame.

I've been down this road half a year ago as a rookie and found quite a different solution. (SCX transmission based) .
I'll look up some pics, but they're somewhere, useless on photobucket.

Keep it up. The rewards, once running, are priceless.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-J320F met Tapatalk
wouterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:24 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

I found my notes on the trannys I've on hand. Not counting the spur/pinion reduction this is what I came up with. I think I'll use the TTiger gearing and then gear down with the spur and pinion to better match the axles.

RC4WD R3 single speed-TFinder 2
-1.78:1

Thunder Tiger tranny
-5 in and 4 out - 1.25:1

SCX10 tranny
-13 in and 5 out - 2.6:1
Old 09-06-2017, 10:58 AM   #39
Rock Stacker

Im doing the same build with the same fame and body. I am using a complete Everest 16 as a donor tho.The axle widths and wheel and tires are a perfect fit so far. I will post a build post when im done. I will definitely be following yours tho.
MikeTheDiabetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:30 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

New springs and another try. Set them up like a 1:1 and spaced them with a narrow m3 jam nut.

Figured out the RC4WD tranny does indeed mount up and nearly the same location. But the angles are all wrong.

But I can remove two bolts and rotate the tranny a little past level. I'll need to drill two new holes to be able to mount it like this. Then I cut a skid from a scrap of black cutting board.

Only need a single U joint and the 1:1 transfer case may work nicely.

The driveshaft angles may not be too bad either.

The bad thing is that I'm getting tired of the D90 body now and haven't wheeled it yet. I know it's going to be ridiculously top heavy and have a ridiculously stiff suspension.

My first scaler - Project United Nations - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I am Done with the United states government. holycaveman Chit Chat 317 07-02-2012 10:27 AM
Stand United JUSTGOINGSLOW Chit Chat 36 10-27-2009 09:44 PM
U.F.C. 70, Nations collide west virginia krawler Chit Chat 30 04-21-2007 11:30 PM