Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Tuff Truck Challenge - LC70 Comp Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2017, 04:32 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Tuff Truck Challenge - LC70 Comp Truck

I've been wanting to do the new LC70 Killerbody for a while now. However I recently got to watching some Tuff Truck Challenge films from Australia and subsequently noticed this rather tasty new bed from RC4WD/CChand.

Anywhoose I got to thinking about possibly mounting them on one of my existing comp chassis, in this case one of my class 2 SCX10's which currently sports a lexan body and plastic cage.

I plonked them on the chassis and it looks viable, a bit of jiggery pokery here and there and I think it could work.

It's my intention to run this as a class 2 comp truck so performance is going to be high on the agenda. I am therefore going to retain the axles from the SCX10 as Yota's will be too narrow. In a concession to scale however I have ordered up these SSD housings.

I'm not sure the beef tubes were a wise investment, they're so thin as to weigh very little, but I suppose every little helps.

I'm please with how they went together, very nice piece of kit.

I'm tempted to go 4 wheel steering, although that would preculde me from class 2, I think however the clubs I run at will turn a blind eye. Most of the Tuff Trucks I've seen run 4ws.

I've done some trimming to the front wheel arches (may need to do some more) and have pretty much got everything lined up how I want it (the body is lurching forward a little here compared to how it will be when attached.

The winch will be position behind the grill with the fairlead in front, fits nicely.

You may have noticed I've started adding lights etc to the body. I don't think I'm going to spray the body, I rather like it white and red, I trust this is deemed acceptable.

I shall probably trim the doors next and decide what to do about the gap in the back of the cab.

Cheers, Charlie
Retrocosm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2017, 02:13 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Tuff Truck Challenge - LC70 Comp Truck

Flat bed looks great and glad to see more people not afraid of cutting up the body.
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 01:52 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyrc View Post
Flat bed looks great and glad to see more people not afraid of cutting up the body.
Cheers, I'm always a bit nervous of taking the Dremmel to the body but sometimes it has to be done!

I have the bed and body positioned now, I've drilled some new holes in the bed mount to lower it a little and provide a point to attach the rear shocks. I've also trimmed the doors a little after seeing a few 1:1s done in a similar manner.

I've also pushed the front axle forward a little, the wheelbase is now 305mm which is a bit longer than I'd like for a comp truck but it looks much better.

I've also pushed the right hand slider forward a little and need to do the other side.

The spur gear just sits within the cab and I think I might be able to build a custom interior around the gearbox. I do have a forward mount for the gearbox and could put in a transfer box but I like the low down central weight from a performance perspective.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:16 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I had a go at putting some of the supplied diamond plate on today and my word is it fiddly, the most fiddly arsed job I think I've ever done, the nuts and bolts are tiny.

My battery fits nicely inside the box that comes with the bed, it means it will be mounted a little higher than I'd like but does give me more space for the interior.

There's a well positioned hole to feed the cable through:-

Old 06-08-2017, 02:13 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I've put in some inner fenders and a firewall. Next, create the widest centre console in the history of centre consoles.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:37 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Cool build mate.
I've competed in Tuff Truck the past 2 years, and was one of the competition managers who looked after all the competitors, support crews and families, recovery crews, stage managers and officials.
It's a great event.
Have you watched the live feed on the weekend of the event?
1tuff40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:46 AM   #7

That's such a great looking truck! Nice work.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:07 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tuff40 View Post
Cool build mate.
I've competed in Tuff Truck the past 2 years, and was one of the competition managers who looked after all the competitors, support crews and families, recovery crews, stage managers and officials.
It's a great event.
Have you watched the live feed on the weekend of the event?
That is so cool, I'd love to attend, if only it wasn't on the other side of the world

I haven't watched the live feed but I have watched a lot of the videos on Youtube, absolutely love it.

Perhaps you can answer a question for me, there's a truck in this video that has winches located on the bed and I've assumed they're connected to the axle to pull it up either side, is that correct?

https://youtu.be/xYb5J8YwRaQ?t=2m49s

Cheers, Charlie.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:08 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
That's such a great looking truck! Nice work.
Thank you sir!
Old 06-13-2017, 02:15 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Finding it a bit of a challenge to find high resolution imagery but have never the less managed to knock up this truck number decal which I intend to print on some vinyl with my inkjet, it claims to be watertight once printed, I am however sceptical, we shall see.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:52 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrocosm View Post
That is so cool, I'd love to attend, if only it wasn't on the other side of the world

I haven't watched the live feed but I have watched a lot of the videos on Youtube, absolutely love it.

Perhaps you can answer a question for me, there's a truck in this video that has winches located on the bed and I've assumed they're connected to the axle to pull it up either side, is that correct?

https://youtu.be/xYb5J8YwRaQ?t=2m49s

Cheers, Charlie.
Haha yes that's actually a mate of mine who owns that car.
The twin winch setup is a bit funky, most just run one winch into the axle to add a bit of preload to stabilize the car but he wanted one on each side.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:43 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Haha yes that's actually a mate of mine who owns that car.
The twin winch setup is a bit funky, most just run one winch into the axle to add a bit of preload to stabilize the car but he wanted one on each side.
Fantastic, can I pick your brain a bit more, how does the preload work and does your friend have the two winches so he can lift either side of the axle independently or do they both work at the same time?

Cheers, Charlie
Old 06-16-2017, 01:20 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I've started some work on the interior, added these seats from Loops RC and started building around the transmission. Fortunately there's enough room either side and the seats don't sit too high as I originally feared.

I've also added a rear portion to the cab, frustratingly the slipper clutch is slightly proud, however it will be hidden behind the metal box that slips into the bed.

Finally finished the axles and got them fitted.

Took the opportunity to fit some Vanquish XVDs, I haven't had much luck with Axial ones.

The body here is sitting a little higher than it will be when fastened down.

Old 06-16-2017, 02:42 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Awesome Build You Got Going On There Brother !
Robs07junk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:34 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Fantastic, can I pick your brain a bit more, how does the preload work and does your friend have the two winches so he can lift either side of the axle independently or do they both work at the same time?

Cheers, Charlie
They were independently controlled, the preload acted similar to a swaybar but mainly to hold the car down when on off-camber situations.

They also helped the axle tramp/hopping too when under slight load.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:34 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
They were independently controlled, the preload acted similar to a swaybar but mainly to hold the car down when on off-camber situations.

They also helped the axle tramp/hopping too when under slight load.
Ok cool, I really want to try to implement something similar.

In the meantime I've been doing jobs that need doing but are allowing me to ignore other issues. So, backs added to the seats, thin sheet of styrene and some shoe goo did the job. A lick of paint and another Tamiya/Neca hybrid driver. Scale racing harnesses on the way.

Oh, and I've decided to paint the white body white, we all know it makes sense.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:37 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I added in a little more of the interior today:-

I also added the spare wheel mount and mud flaps to see how they look. It's starting to look more like a Winch Challenge Truck than a Tuff Truck Challenge one but I still like it:-

Electricky bits are also going in:-

Much wires, :eek:

BEC is set to 7.4v for the servo, I'm also running a small waterproof ESC for the front winch.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:56 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Love the work so far.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:31 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Having been following the build so far, hats off to you sir. I like it! A lot!
Been looking at those beds myself and the LC70 body as I have a set of Vaterra axles doing not a lot... They may find themselves under a chassis soon...
Old n ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 03:08 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
My battery fits nicely inside the box that comes with the bed, it means it will be mounted a little higher than I'd like but does give me more space for the interior.
Great looking LC70 and you could drill box mount holes to drop it down a tad more if there's room underneath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old n ratty View Post
Having been following the build so far, hats off to you sir. I like it! A lot!
Been looking at those beds myself and the LC70 body as I have a set of Vaterra axles doing not a lot... They may find themselves under a chassis soon...
Do it!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tuff Truck Challenge - LC70 Comp Truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tuff truck challenge tazmans Kentucky 10 04-17-2012 02:04 AM
tuff truck challenge Robards, Ky tazmans Kentucky 1 04-10-2012 12:57 AM
another tuff truck comp? getNOSty Michigan 5 03-17-2011 06:09 PM
tuff truck comp getNOSty Michigan 5 12-08-2010 08:12 PM
Scale Tuff Truck Challenge! minifaron New Mexico 41 05-05-2009 09:45 PM