Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: HG P402 - Project "Bargain Basement"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2017, 06:33 AM   #21

Default Re: HG P402 - Project "Bargain Basement"

First post from me and from mount Isa Australia. Nice kit and looking good on the build too. Def keen on a kit but def wanting the new release version but dare say it's hut n miss which one. Keep up the great build
stevanavich74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2017, 12:10 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

There's an HSP tranny that's nearly a clone of the SXC10 one. I got one coming for about $12 I think it was.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:29 AM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevanavich74 View Post
First post from me and from mount Isa Australia. Nice kit and looking good on the build too. Def keen on a kit but def wanting the new release version but dare say it's hut n miss which one. Keep up the great build
Welcome!
Fortunately, at less than $100US for the kit version, they are very popular. Chances are good by now that you'd get the upgraded version!
They stopped production of the first version back in late February....

If you need to have a RTR, there's no guarantees, yet. There are actually complaints on the HG Group on Facebook, about ordering replacement parts and them not fitting because they're all new version.
One guy got hold of the company, and was told that the 4mm version parts weren't even allowed to be sold since May!!

Again, there's lots of RTRs still unsold in stores, that are likely the 4mm version.
Cheers!

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddiction View Post
You're doing a good job turning it into a nice crawler!
Thanks! I'm hoping so. I'm at a point where I feel like it SHOULD be good!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
Depends.. will you replace them with aluminum HG axles? ;)

I had planned on getting this set, but I picked up used bare rails and am getting random mix of scx10 and 10.2 parts to fill it out.

Axial Frame Set SCX10 | TowerHobbies.com
Of course!!

At first, I looked at that link and thought, $66.00??
BUT, then I saw that just the bare frame rails alone were $38.00!!
So, considering that it's EVERYTHING to build a SCX10 Frame, that's a good deal!

Last edited by THX_138; 01-06-2019 at 10:26 PM.
PoorManRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:30 PM   #24
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
It did require coming up with a way to 4 link the front end so the axle didn't shift side to side but that turned out easy.
How did you make the part to connect the upper links to the axle? I was trying to make the upper links from an Axial 3-link connector and threaded rods, but when I tried to bend the links, I broke the Axial connector. When using the longest wheelbase setting - even with 110mm shocks - the upper link hits the drive shaft.
aver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:33 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by aver3 View Post
How did you make the part to connect the upper links to the axle? I was trying to make the upper links from an Axial 3-link connector and threaded rods, but when I tried to bend the links, I broke the Axial connector. When using the longest wheelbase setting - even with 110mm shocks - the upper link hits the drive shaft.
Sorry it took SO long.....
I don't know how CLM did it, but aftermarket support for these is DISMAL at best.
IF you have a 3D Printer, Thingiverse has files available for free, that you can print. Or maybe have a friend print for you. There's a couple of pretty cool files there! 4-Link adapters are one. They also have Panhard Rod Mounts, AXLE mounted Servo adapters, and a small amount of cool add-ons.

Speaking of Project "Bargain Basement".... I'll try to get some pictures up soon! I know it's been a while.
I got a Gmade Komodo Body Kit for Christmas!!
It resembles a Ford Raptor good enough to look Sweet! I'm still working on that. Just finished the Paint - I did one of my Paint Jobs that USED to win me awards back in the 90's. It's Color-Shifting Paint, that goes from Blue to Purple to Teal.
It's a HUGE Pain to get right.... but when it does, it's a stunning effect!

The look is nearly perfect, and what's more - the Wife likes it!!! BTW, the Komodo Body fits nicely on the HG Chassis, using the longest Wheelbase settings! You'll see it soon!!

Last edited by THX_138; 01-06-2019 at 10:28 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:01 PM   #26
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorManRC View Post
Speaking of Project "Bargain Basement".... I'll try to get some pictures up soon! I know it's been a while.
I got a Gmade Komodo Body Kit for Christmas!! It resembles a Ford Raptor good enough to look Sweet! I'm still working on that. Just finished the Paint - I did one of my Paint Jobs that USED to win me awards back in the 90's. It's Color-Shifting Paint, that goes from Blue to Purple to Teal.
It's a HUGE Pain to get right.... but when it does, it's a stunning effect!
The look is nearly perfect, and what's more - the Wife likes it!!! BTW, the Komodo Body fits nicely on the HG Chassis, using the longest Wheelbase settings! You'll see it soon!!
I want to see it! Got any pics? I'm especially interested in the 4-link setup.

Last edited by THX_138; 01-06-2019 at 10:29 PM.
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:51 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

I will try to get some pics tomorrow. The Body turned out better than I thought....
I was waiting until just about now for a Tube of RTV Silicone, because that's how I mount and waterproof my light buckets.

Here's what the 4-Link looks like. Super simple!! I ended up using one of my MANY Axial rod ends!

Thanks so much for your support!!

Last edited by THX_138; 01-06-2019 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:22 PM   #28
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I will try to get some pics tomorrow. The Body turned out better than I thought....
I was waiting until just about now for a Tube of RTV Silicone, because that's how I mount and waterproof my light buckets.

Here's what the 4-Link looks like. Super simple!! I ended up using one of my MANY Axial rod ends!

Thanks so much for your support!!
I'm glad I came back to check this post. I have my HG P402 in front of me, and I was trying to figure out some way to make it so the links don't hit the drive shaft. I tried putting my TF2 SWB driveshaft on to see if it was narrow enough, but it is far too short. (It was the only metal driveshaft I had to try, though.) While doing that, I realized that I would probably just be happier switching to Redcat or SCX10 axles and being done with it. Seeing your picture of the super simple 4-link setup made me want to try it again. I may need to look at the axle-mounted servo setup, though. I just see a lot of issues with my setup - steering linkages hitting at full compression, crazy angles, etc. It would be nice to actually be able to use this chassis. Thanks, man!

Last edited by THX_138; 01-06-2019 at 10:30 PM.
aver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 03:56 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Any time Brother! There's very little support for these "cheap Trucks", so we should share any ideas we have...
Good, stupid or otherwise, they're bound to help someone!
Old 03-12-2018, 02:12 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

For anyone looking for how to do Panhard Rod Mods.... THIS is a simple yet thorough Video on how to do it, and even using several of the parts off of your Rig to do it!

https://youtu.be/OUl5sVkmqng

Of course from there, there will be several other Videos on the subject in the playlist next to the Video!
Old 07-29-2018, 07:07 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

I just had these Printed....

They're 8 Degree Chubs and stronger 4-Link Axle Mounts. I'll try to remember where, but it was a guy on Thingiverse. Cost me $6.90 TOTAL for all !!!

Also, I got this Servo Axle Mount also. These are TOO Cheap to stress about Scale Steering! Besides, they got the CMS setup all wrong!!

I'm not using the Link Mount that it came with, because the Red ones I got are much better, and Stronger.
I'll try to get pictures up when I'm done.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:50 AM   #32
Pebble Pounder

I might try a cheap eBay frame for my HG P402.
12MPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:31 AM   #33
Quarry Creeper

That's definitely a good start. Stock Frame is like NOODLES!!
I'm probably going with SCX10 Frame Rails, mainly because I've stretched my wheelbase out to 305mm. That was so I could fit the Gmade Komodo Body on it. It's already better than I thought in the way of Scale appearance and Function.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:27 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Axial or the HR scx rails are about the same.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:53 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

The biggest difference is, the scx Rails are Steel... They'll RUST!
Otherwise, they're the same fit.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:28 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The biggest difference is, the scx Rails are Steel... They'll RUST!
Otherwise, they're the same fit.

I have a set of HR scx rails that came unpainted. Stamped steel and a little surface rust. Quick wire brush and some gloss black was good as new.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:36 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
I have a set of HR scx rails that came unpainted. Stamped steel and a little surface rust. Quick wire brush and some gloss black was good as new.
But are they C-Channel Rails? If I'm gonna do ALL THAT WORK (it WILL be, because I've got extra Trusses Epoxied on the HG Plastic Rails, and several other cross braces, in a WEAK attempt at stiffening the Chassis!!!)
........ Then I want the replacement to be a noticeable Upgrade in Performance and some Scale looks.

Axial has a Run of SCX10 One Chassis Kits.,. Rail, Center Trans Mount, LINKS, all cross braces, Shock Hoops and Body Posts.... For about $60.00!!!!

The Plan is to eventually get a SCX10 Transmission (or Clone), and run that with the HG P402 Axles - which are geared LOWER than any other Axle out there, that's not a Comp Crawler or Truck Puller!!

And eventually.... This cheap PIG is going to Run!! I do want that.

Last edited by THX_138; 01-06-2019 at 10:37 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:51 AM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Oh. And I WANT them to rust!!! ;)

Looks good! Just went on my watch list. Nice cheap alternative!

Last edited by PoorManRC; 08-01-2018 at 07:57 AM.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:47 AM   #39

Link to an album of photos of my newly built chassis - new track rod made from 4mm links, 4mm
threaded rods and carbon fibre tube, also new link rod to servo horn.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JN3J6QeExu3zrPTw7

All metal bushings have been replaced with ball bearings from Banggood.
Motor is Banggood Racerstar 540 Brushed Motor 45Turn
Steering servo is Banggood TowerPro MG996R Digital Metal Gear Servo.
Gearchange servo is Banggood TowerPro MG91 Digital Metal Gear Servo

I have already deepened the slots in the front hub cups to reduce turning circle a bit
and will be looking to replace the rear axle with a front one to allow four wheel steer.

New 110mm shocks on order (guess where from !?) and bottle of 250cst oil ready to fill 'em.

The wheels & tyres (as supplied) are non standard, a bit too stiff, and the rubber needs to be a bit more grippy.
I will be looking for some 1.9" wheels and tyres soon - Anybody got any recommendations?

Richard

p.s. Tyres (in the U.K.) = Tires in the States!

Last edited by FairlyOldGit; 08-09-2018 at 03:14 AM.
FairlyOldGit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:20 AM   #40
Quarry Creeper

FairlyOldGit, I took a look.... Like the mods! Does that long Rod between the Shock Towers make ANY difference in Chassis Twist??

Also, I have a Link to all the 3D Printed parts I've had made for it.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2463338

BTW, the Chubs are 8 Degrees CASTER, not Kingpin Angle. The Stock Steering Arms aren't affected.

Last edited by THX_138; 01-06-2019 at 10:39 PM.

HG P402 - Project "Bargain Basement" - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AREA 51RC "Project Chaotic "Switch" XR10" D19er Axial XR10 105 03-10-2014 05:30 PM
Project "Tombstone" R.I.P "Rest In Pieces" mud digger 2.2 Scale Rigs 25 05-20-2013 07:54 PM
Project "FRANKESTAIN" or "AXIAL FORCE" mykonian General Crawlers 5 03-06-2009 11:37 AM