Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: OS's 1.9 Junkyard Yota

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2017, 04:57 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: OS's 1.9 Junkyard Yota

Well, decided to cut it up. Since I've got the agressive tire look, thought the body should match. Bodywork is not my thing at all, but it's coming along ok so far. More by luck than skill!

Got a little crazy with the styrene while waiting for the filler to dry. Wanted something unique compared to the other yota's rolling around out there.

Scoop is functional (kinda....) Sits over the motor...doubt I'll got much airflow at 5mph, but I know it's there. Tacky but I like it anyway.

Filled, primed, ready for some more sanding.

Started the interior..not sure what the final color will be - thankfully crap brown goes with everything.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2017, 08:17 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Well, painting season is pretty much done here in the northeast (my paint booth is the backyard) so the body paint will have to wait a while. I flat blacked the hood and bed just in case I get a few trail runs in - kind of gives it that work in progress look....which it is!

Interior is in...the tamiya driver is way tall! Just painted it and installed it for now, any further detail work will be done after the body is painted.

Bed came out pretty good! Just need to put the taillights back on and get some kind of bumper back there.

Changed the wheels again..I was going to offload these wheels since I bought them for a TRX4 that never shipped, but I put them on the truck on a whim and loved the look. Think I'm finally done the wheel and tire roulette

Dying to get this out on the rocks to do some testing. So glad I tore down the deadbolt - loving the way this came together.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:38 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

It lives!

Gimped out into the backyard and took the Yota for a test run. Very happy so far with how it performed. The gearing was pretty much spot on with the 35t motor and the suspension overall was a bit on the soft side, but definitely in the ballpark. I did have a little torque twist (I expected it) but I've got a plan. Kinda.

Stalking in the grass..

Out on the remains of my test course. Started moving the rocks to another spot in the yard, but there's still a few here to play on.

My hardest climb. Semi smooth rock at a pretty good angle. Most of my 1.9's struggle here - No problem! Grip from the Gmade tires is very good - they continue to exceed my expectations.

Somehow unthreaded a link after about 30 minutes. Fun while it lasted, but that's the nature of new builds and test runs...

Not all was rosy though. That aluminum trans mount is a boat anchor in the middle of the chassis. Need to think about it. Also, seemed a bit tippy - think the suspension is unloading too quickly - might go with some heavier oil all around.

Last edited by OSRC; 11-26-2017 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:11 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Thought I'd give this a try to help with torque twist...Boom makes a set of links with an integrated swaybar. Thought it was worth a try and would keep the back end looking clean. Bolted right on, no issues. Not sure how well that swaybar is going to stay secured, I might have to grind some flats in for the setscrews. Feels good once it's all installed. Time will tell!

Old 12-07-2017, 01:51 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Thought I'd give this a try to help with torque twist...Boom makes a set of links with an integrated swaybar. Thought it was worth a try and would keep the back end looking clean. Bolted right on, no issues. Not sure how well that swaybar is going to stay secured, I might have to grind some flats in for the setscrews. Feels good once it's all installed. Time will tell!
Looks great, I"ve been thinking about TF2 body on an Ascender chassis for a long time, but need to try it. Yours came out well and I love those links with swaybar built in, what are they made for? Would be nice if the ends were threaded for plastic ball ends....got me thinking again. Really want to do one one Bruiser or TF2 leafsprings and build my own mounts to the Ascender axles, don't think it would be too hard, just need time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biev View Post
Love this build! Gives me inspiration for a nice build!
Me too!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:09 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
...I love those links with swaybar built in, what are they made for?
Technically, they are for the SCX10, but I'm sure it would work with most other chassis with a bit of tinkering. They have 4 set link lengths as well....which is interesting. I measured my links before ordering, and it was spot on the the shortest setting.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:15 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

IT LIVES! (And I found a Gopro I got a few years ago.)

Can't wait for spring, itching to get this out on a trail.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:09 PM   #28

Fitting name to this project since you're using such a variety of brands.

Nice test spot you got as well.

Looks good. I'm sure it will "rock" out on on the trail.

I'll second the "Can't wait for spring" part! We don't get crap for snow so it's time to dry out and give us some warm weather.

Will it be blue and silver before its first trail run?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:32 PM   #29
Rock Stacker

Man,that was like a 70º climb,well done.
I often wondered why people weren't putting the round headlight bruiser grill on the TF2
to make it like an early snub nose.
4.3 Zook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:16 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

great build up.
rs10man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:25 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Will it be blue and silver before its first trail run?
Eventually... Waiting on some warmer weather to paint.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:44 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Finally got out on a real trail! Didn't get a full run since I had 5 trucks and was doing some testing and setup on them. Impressed with the little Yota. Oddly, the HPI trans/Axial t-case /Ascender axle combo is dead silent. I like a smooth quiet truck. Mechanical harmony in motion!

Need to work on the suspension a bit. Didn't have a whole lot of flex which is sometimes good, but having the tires drop out a bit more would have helped. I thought with the rear shocks laid down I'd have a lot more travel, but the swaybar really tightened things up. Think I'll switch over to the soft bar ilo the medium. The Gmade tires really didn't like the cold weather...it was in the upper 30's, and they are already kinda stiff so I was seriously lacking in grip. I'll wait to run it in warmer weather before messing with anything though.

Tore it down for some paint when I got back. Tired of the primer look... 70 degrees this week finally!! The outdoor paint booth is primed and ready to go!
Old 04-16-2018, 06:28 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Anyone else noticing an unusually cool spring? Hasn't really even been in the 60's yet - then, we get a freak weekend - warmed up to 80 for 2 days, then back in the 40's/low 50's for the next 2 weeks. Cabin fever is setting in big time.

No matter, it got warm enough to spray for at least 2 days and got some painting done.

Thought it looked a little too plain, so I tried to age it a bit. Never tried this before, I prefer to let them age on the trail so to speak, but I decided to grab some 800 grit and see what I could do. Came out ok I guess...not a fan of the red poking through here and there.

Kinda looks like a poorly repainted truck

....Which it is.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:39 AM   #34
Quarry Creeper

nice! I love worn out looking bodies on scalers.
alexleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 03:19 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Actually, the body was pretty beat when I got it, so didn't have to do much. Then my hack paint job came along...

Pretty much back together, still a few details to finish. I wasn't sure about the color, but now that it's back together, looks pretty decent. Just glad to at least have the taillights back in....progress!!

Old 04-23-2018, 06:55 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

2 days of trail runs, and got wheel time with 5 rigs this weekend. SO GLAD spring is finally here! Well, kinda. But I'll take low 60's and sunny any day.

Got the Yota on a nice 4 hour run yesterday. Nothing fell off, broke, or otherwise caused issues. Super happy with this truck. Plenty of clearance with the Ascender axles and other than some squeaky driveshafts by the end of the run it was smooth and silent. It's quite zippy with the 35t motor - the Ascender axle ratio is so much taller than SCX axles. Need to think about what I want to do there though it's perfectly driveable.

I did double duty, driving the Yota and my TRX4. I looked like 2 Gun Sam with radios hanging off everywhere. Fabbed up a hitch of sorts and pulled a trailer for the entire run. This was a pretty mild trail, so the trailer made a fun and unique twist.

Only had 1 tricky spot where I lost the trailer. Used a 5mm ball joint to attach it so it could pop off if it was stressed too much. I did have quite a bit of weight in it so it was realistic pulling it. Definitely made the hill climbs more interesting! This was early in the run - once I got the hang of driving with it back there, never lost it again.

Lots of scale rigs out today - A Cross something or other (HC4?), 2 TF2 based rigs, Hardbody Mog, and my junk of course. 2 TRX4's which weren't even trying very hard that sailed through, and a lone SCX10. Great trail run!

Got some details to work on, and needs thicker oil in the rear shocks for sure. Still needs a rear bumper of some kind too.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:09 PM   #37
Rock Stacker

OSRC, thanks for letting me know about this build. It is a nice build too.
Is thee a link to the vid as it isn't working now?
Tim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:13 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=IkYMLiirvh8
Old 04-26-2018, 08:16 AM   #39
Rock Stacker

OSRC, that is a nice place.
Thanks for the new link, sweet vid !

Your crawler looks like its handling well too.
Tim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:10 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Was down in Bethany Beach, DE so the wife could spend a week at the beach (but never go in the water...it would be cheaper to build a big sandbox with an umbrella in the backyard, but anyway) and stopped by Coastal Hobbies again. Nice place! Picked myself up a little father's day gift - a new set of Pitbulls for my Yota. The owner had a set on his and I really liked the look. Not that there was a problem with the old tires, but I like the more scale tread pattern - and I'm sure the performance will be a bit better too.

Mounted them on some old Axial 8 holes for now, I'll get some different wheels later. Too much black going on there. Tire size is spot on for the body.

OS's 1.9 Junkyard Yota - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OS's Junkyard NB JK OSRC 1.9 Scale Rigs 31 11-06-2017 01:36 PM
OS's Junkyard C3 OSRC 2.2 Scale Rigs 10 10-16-2017 02:07 PM
OS's XR OSRC Axial XR10 21 11-09-2011 08:39 PM
OS's Creeper OSRC Venom Creeper 8 11-07-2011 10:06 PM
vonclods rusty junkyard yota vonclod Videos! 4 08-01-2011 04:49 PM