Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Ordered new custom Truggy Chassis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2017, 12:32 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Ordered new custom Truggy Chassis

Man, it's tough figuring out where to put everything on a tube type chassis!

Fabbed up a little "shelf" for the cage out back to land my fuel cell receiver box. Mocked everything up with card stock and then transferred to aluminum. Once I got it all trimmed up fairly clean, I located the fuel cell. Cut a square hole just inside the outer dimensions of the fuel cell so it actually clamps to the shelf between its lid and its receiver box. Cables exit the fuel cell underneath the shelf, (2nd pic) so it should look pretty clean.
Attached Images

mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2017, 08:16 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Finally got everything figured out with what I want to go where. Finished up tonight buy making a little bracket for the ESC which will live above the servo. Was scratching my head for a while there on layout. Pretty pleased with the final outcome. The runs back to the fuel cell / receiver box will be long, but I'll just use some extender cables. I'm also going to try and stash them both in some wire loom which will run along the inside of the frame.
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2017, 07:51 PM   #23

What battery try is that? If you have any new pictures that would be awesome since I am about to be ordering on of his cages
Stretch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:34 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch1 View Post
What battery try is that? If you have any new pictures that would be awesome since I am about to be ordering on of his cages
That is an Integy battery tray. As far as pics, i'm still building it up, but if there is anything you want to see in particular, let me know and I can take some more. Quality of the chassis is awesome!
Old 12-01-2017, 11:12 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

I though you said this was a winter project. You will be ready to start another before it starts. Looking good!
SHOme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:07 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOme View Post
I though you said this was a winter project. You will be ready to start another before it starts. Looking good!
I know right!? I got a bit ahead of myself! Honestly though, it's just been going together really easy. Plus, with the wife buying me the axles and all the "goesinto" parts, it definitely put me ahead of schedule.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:10 AM   #27
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
I know right!? I got a bit ahead of myself! Honestly though, it's just been going together really easy. Plus, with the wife buying me the axles and all the "goesinto" parts, it definitely put me ahead of schedule.
Sounds like you picked a winner. Better make her a keeper.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
SHOme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:12 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Got the RC4WD SuperPunisher driveshafts installed last night. Extending the wheelbase out back required a 135mm rear driveshaft. I'm really liking the scale look of these and they're fully rebuildable.

If "Santa" comes through at Christmas, should should be under her own power shortly thereafter! I've been a good boy and asked for a HH PullerPro Stubby 3300KV Brushless system.
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2017, 06:19 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOme View Post
Sounds like you picked a winner. Better make her a keeper.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
For sure!
Old 12-05-2017, 07:25 AM   #30
Pebble Pounder

Default Ordered new custom Truggy Chassis

I tried to find Trojen rc fab but was unable to. Do you possibly have a link or contact info.?

Very nice truggy by the way! Liking those trailing arms too! Also, dig the way you mounted up the fuel cell, nice touch!
CR4NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:27 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR4NK View Post
I tried to find Trojen rc fab but was unable to. Do you possibly have a link or contact info.?

Very nice truggy by the way! Liking those trailing arms too! Also, dig the way you mounted up the fuel cell, nice touch!
Thanks! Been having a lot of fun building it up.

I don't think he has a dedicated website. But, I know he is on Facebook and Instagram. I found him on Instagram as I don't use FB. His account name on IG is trojen_rc_fab
Old 12-05-2017, 01:26 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Those axles are gorgeous, no doubt. Sorry to hear SSD is phasing out the diamond axles, they are also a thing of beauty. I look forward to seeing the build, the absent chassis creates some good suspense.
This is news to me. Sad news.

Sweet looking start to a project!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:01 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
This is news to me. Sad news.

Sweet looking start to a project!
I'm not for sure on that SSD thing - I was just told that by a Tech at one of the larger, online hobby stores. He could very well have been angling to get me to buy something they stocked or had more inventory on.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:47 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Got the paint work wrapped up on the Truggy last night. Went with a Satin OD Green and FLat Black on the hood. I had originally intended to go Gloss White on the cab, but I think the whole thing would've been way too bright/clean along with the Red anodized bits.

Still waiting on the droop kit to arrive so I can get the stance totally dialed in, but it's close to where I want it.
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2017, 03:07 PM   #35
Pebble Pounder

Looking good. Looks like we both got our Trojen cages about the same time although it looks like you are a little further ahead then me at the moment. I just put the Vanquish F9’s for the scx10ii on mine this morning and will be figuring out the rest in the coming days. Mocked up with stock axles in my pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ndi_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:25 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndi_guy View Post
Looking good. Looks like we both got our Trojen cages about the same time although it looks like you are a little further ahead then me at the moment. I just put the Vanquish F9’s for the scx10ii on mine this morning and will be figuring out the rest in the coming days. Mocked up with stock axles in my pics.

Dang! That thing's gonna be a beast! Looks like you're going 2.2 with it?
Old 12-06-2017, 09:16 PM   #37
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Dang! That thing's gonna be a beast! Looks like you're going 2.2 with it?

No, those are just big 1.9’s. I’ll be going with a smaller tire when all is said and done.

ndi_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 05:47 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndi_guy View Post
No, those are just big 1.9’s. I’ll be going with a smaller tire when all is said and done.

Those look huge for 1.9's! Have you started a build thread for it? I'd like to follow and see where your project goes!
Old 12-10-2017, 10:53 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Started to get some scale accessories installed. GearHead RC roof rack with light bar. Fire Extinguishers, spare gas cans. Also got the LED's installed in the headlights. I think I'm going to ditch the aluminum cage shelf I made for the fuel cell. After looking at it for a while, I just wasn't digging the way it hid so much of the cage and tube work. Going to try and figure out a way to direct mount it to the tube cage itself. (should be interesting). I've also been playing around with some wheel combinations. These pics show the rig with GearGead RC UTE bead-locks.

Looking for opinions on the wheels - Stick with the Red Ano bead-locks or the Black UTE's?

I'm also stillllllllllllllllllllllllll waiting on the damn droop kit. Tracking gives me zero info
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2017, 07:13 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

So after a lot of hemming and hawing and playing around with the fuel cell, I've determined there's just no good way to mount it up without using the roll cage fuel cell shelf I fabbed up earlier.

I thought I might be able to get it tucked in to the frame rails at the very back of the cage and figure out a way to mount it, but it was pitched at such a steep angle with the slope of the tubes it just didn't look right. I also looked at mounting it on the back of the cab, but without fabricating a bunch of support structure for scale appearance, it looked silly just hanging off there and I really didn't want to add a bunch more weight up high.

One of my concerns with the shelf I made was mounting it to the chassis with something other than zip ties. I like zip ties, and they have their place, but I'm definitely going for more scale appearance on this and they would not cut it for this purpose.

I remembered I had these little "tubing clamps" from an old, off-brand Wraith chassis (I hacked up and used this chassis in my Project AX-10 Scaler build).

Anyway, it came with these cool little tubing clamps to mount metal body panels. I went ahead and used them to mount the fuel cell shelf to the cage and I'm liking it a lot more again. Along with the spare being mounted now and other scale items, I'm definitely digging the look.
Attached Images

Ordered new custom Truggy Chassis - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
first truggy build custom chassis what yall think pstroke666 2.2 Scale Rigs 6 04-09-2011 08:47 PM