Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Ordered new custom Truggy Chassis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2017, 02:35 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Ordered new custom Truggy Chassis

So I just ordered a custom truggy chassis from Trojen RC Fab. I found him on Instagram and really liked his stuff. He is on Facebook as well. Based up in New Hampshire. Anyway, this is my first build in the 1.9 scale arena and I'm really looking forward to it. The chassis that I ordered takes the TrailFinder or Hilux cab. I should have it in about 2 weeks and will post some pics. In the meantime, I've been busying myself creating a parts list.

I've been hemming on hawing on what axles to go with. Any suggestions? I've been eyeing Vanquish and I know it's hard to go wrong there, but damn the $! I do have all this coming Winter to build, so I can buy stuff a little at a time which will help.

Anyway, as far as being a "newb" for a first completely custom build, I guess I'm just wondering if there any big "gotchas" I should look out for? Other than spending way too much $ of course!
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2017, 04:38 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Ordered new custom Truggy Chassis

There aren't any real perils to be afraid of. Just realize very few things will fit first time without modification. Be ready for a slow build and having to customize lots of parts. Having the right tools will save you a ton of aggravation. A good file, Dremel, and soldering iron can get you pretty far.

For axles I can't say enough good things about the new SSD Pro44 axles. They are super scale, super tough, and butter smooth. I just built a set starting from zero parts and the build total for the pair of axles was around $250. I used all SSD parts except for the Axial Universal Shafts and Axial Rear Shafts.
ElChupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:53 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChupacabra View Post
There aren't any real perils to be afraid of. Just realize very few things will fit first time without modification. Be ready for a slow build and having to customize lots of parts. Having the right tools will save you a ton of aggravation. A good file, Dremel, and soldering iron can get you pretty far.

For axles I can't say enough good things about the new SSD Pro44 axles. They are super scale, super tough, and butter smooth. I just built a set starting from zero parts and the build total for the pair of axles was around $250. I used all SSD parts except for the Axial Universal Shafts and Axial Rear Shafts.
Thanks for the info. It's greatly appreciated. I'm already telling myself to take it slow, not get impatient, and just enjoy the build. It's definitely going to give me something to do over the long, cold Winter. I did look at the SSD Diamond axles, but it looks like they're phasing them out. I wasn't crazy about the huge servo mount tower either. I'll definitely check out the Pro44's. That's an amazing price for a full build up!
Old 11-03-2017, 08:20 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Well, Santa showed up a bit early this year! The wife has been buggin me for ideas about what i'd like for Christmas this year. Half jokingly, I sent her my Vanquish parts list and boom, she pulled the trigger on it for me. I intercepted the package today and started the build up. I figure better to beg forgiveness than ask permission. Everything went together really well. The Vanquish F9's are jewel like! Absolutely cannot wait to see these on the new chassis.
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2017, 09:53 PM   #5
Slow is the new Fast

Those axles are gorgeous, no doubt. Sorry to hear SSD is phasing out the diamond axles, they are also a thing of beauty. I look forward to seeing the build, the absent chassis creates some good suspense.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 05:56 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Those axles are gorgeous, no doubt. Sorry to hear SSD is phasing out the diamond axles, they are also a thing of beauty. I look forward to seeing the build, the absent chassis creates some good suspense.
Thanks!

BTW, Don't quote me on the SSD thing - one of the Techs at one of the more popular web hobby stores implied that, but i'm honestly not for sure on that. I'll be posting pics of the chassis as soon as I get it, then documenting the ongoing build.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:47 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

More progress on the new Truggy build. Got an update from Troy at Trojen RC Fab. Chassis is done - he was going to ship it out today, but USPS is closed in observance of Veteran's Day.

He'll send it out Monday - can't wait to get my hands on it!
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2017, 09:51 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

And some filler and body work on the cab. Still trying to figure out a good color combo? Was thinking gun-metal (like the axles) or black on the cage. Not sure at all on the cab. Maybe Ivan Stewart type scheme???
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2017, 04:42 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Got the chassis in the mail last night. It turned out freak'n awesome. Clean welds, good lines. Lovin it!
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2017, 06:09 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Good looking truggy!
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:17 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

The truck looked like it was sitting a bit high to me, so I cannibalized the droop kit from my Wraith for some mock up. Holes lined up perfect and drooped the truck in to a nice ride height, stance. What do y'all think?

Without droop as in the first few pics?

Or with droop as in this photo?
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2017, 08:17 AM   #12
Slow is the new Fast

No question, it looks better with the droop kit. Man, the chassis turned out nice. The build is looking super! ��
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:38 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
No question, it looks better with the droop kit. Man, the chassis turned out nice. The build is looking super! ��
That's what I thought. Sitting up high without the droop kit, it just looked a bit tipsy. Plus, the 1.9's just didn't look like they were filling out the wheel arches up front.

Still have a ways to go, but I'll keep posting progress along the way.

Thanks!
Old 11-16-2017, 08:54 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

still looking kinda tall for my personal taste, but its not my truck. If it were me I would get some longer rear links, mount the top of the shock in the forward holes and stretch the wheelbase and lower it all at the same time, but again, thats my opinion and maybe not yours.
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:11 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeMinnix View Post
still looking kinda tall for my personal taste, but its not my truck. If it were me I would get some longer rear links, mount the top of the shock in the forward holes and stretch the wheelbase and lower it all at the same time, but again, thats my opinion and maybe not yours.
I'm definitely considering stretching the rear. That's why I picked up the BR adjustable lowers. Just gotta figure out the upper link lengths for however far I extend the lowers. I also just ordered a new droop kit for it so I can throw the Gearhead one back on the Wraith. Gonna play around with it a bit 'till I get where I want it.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:59 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Used my old Baja Rey trailing arms. Stretched it out quite a bit. I was still able to use the upper links by moving them back a couple holes on the chassis. Still have to get the droop stance right. Unfortunately I was doing a "drop test" on the suspension, and the front left (derlin) droop mount cracked off. Must have been too cold/brittle. I've got the new one on order for the Truggy, now I have to order another for the Wraith:(
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2017, 11:16 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Used my old Baja Rey trailing arms. Stretched it out quite a bit. I was still able to use the upper links by moving them back a couple holes on the chassis. Still have to get the droop stance right. Unfortunately I was doing a "drop test" on the suspension, and the front left (derlin) droop mount cracked off. Must have been too cold/brittle. I've got the new one on order for the Truggy, now I have to order another for the Wraith:(
getting more where I'd like it, to help the droop brackets run an old link cut to length across the chassis, shock mounting point to shock mounting point.

I have an old scx10 JKU cage I cut up and use for these type of things. Cut to length, run a little drill bit for a starter hole and I screw my shock mounting bolts right into it.

Last edited by DukeMinnix; 11-16-2017 at 11:26 AM.
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:15 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeMinnix View Post
getting more where I'd like it, to help the droop brackets run an old link cut to length across the chassis, shock mounting point to shock mounting point.

I have an old scx10 JKU cage I cut up and use for these type of things. Cut to length, run a little drill bit for a starter hole and I screw my shock mounting bolts right into it.
Good idea That'll def help re-enforce them. I've got some old links laying around I could use for that.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:44 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Ok. Pretty happy with the wheelbase now. I'll get the droop / stance dialed in as soon as the new droop kit arrives. Everything articulates super smooth with zero binding. Think I've got good diff/pinion angles as well. Here's a quick little flex shot.
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2017, 09:21 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Made some mounting tabs and got the battery positioned forward and as low as it would go last night. Turned out pretty well.
Attached Images

Ordered new custom Truggy Chassis - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
first truggy build custom chassis what yall think pstroke666 2.2 Scale Rigs 6 04-09-2011 08:47 PM