Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 3Racing Crawler Ex (EX Real)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2018, 03:00 AM   #41
RCC Addict

Default Re: 3Racing Crawler Ex (EX Real)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaybo View Post
I actually meant the 3Racing D90 body, not this kit

The kit, technically, was $203 shipped direct from 3Racing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Whoops! My bad... guess I need to learn how to read.
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2018, 04:46 AM   #42
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by StomperCrawler View Post
Whoops! My bad... guess I need to learn how to read.
It's all good. If you read my last 2 posts, you'll see I don't know how to read, well read clearly printed pictures

kaybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:51 AM   #43
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
If you don't like the gold M2x6mm beadlock bolts, here are a couple of cheap replacement options. I like the round button heads because they don't snag as much, but you could even go countersunk if you have the tools to drill the rings, and don't mind the tedium.

What I'm most interested in this rig is the steering angle it can do with the included CV front axles. I can't find specs, details, reviews, or even pics of it anywhere! :(
I believe the rear axle gets built first, which is the next step and something I should be able to get done today

As far as those screws, I have some LockedUp RC scale bolts I'll try and try because they aren't metric but might work

Since I'm going with a Landy body, I might just ditch the wheels/tires all together for a set of Boom Racing's wheels/tires. But I haven't decided yet, nor have I figured out how much 'play' money I have to do everything I wanna so

Old 01-29-2018, 07:16 AM   #44

Quote:
This is a very interesting design to solve pinion mesh issues. Has anyone seen this before? I wonder how it will work with varied pinion-gear design, casting, and CNC differences/tolerances.

Also, with all those holes, it doesn't look like there's much meat between the inner and outer "rings"; time will tell if it's enough "meat" to keep from separating as the weight of the motor bounces on the rocks.
Tamiya does this on a lot of their vehicles. Most times the kit pieces are plastic and they don't cause too many issues. I think the aluminum version in this kit should hold up just fine unless you're one of those idiots that thinks a crawler needs 6S and a 4800kV motor.

I liked the divorced setup and the trans looks beefy. Good looking kit so far.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:07 AM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Tamiya does this on a lot of their vehicles. Most times the kit pieces are plastic and they don't cause too many issues. I think the aluminum version in this kit should hold up just fine unless you're one of those idiots that thinks a crawler needs 6S and a 4800kV motor.

I liked the divorced setup and the trans looks beefy. Good looking kit so far.
We have a guy like that, who occasionally brings out his TRX-4, with 22 VOLTS and a 4750kv Chinese non Sensored Motor!!!
He's ALSO that guy who paid almost $525.00, JUST so he can say that he had one of the FIRST....

Also, Tamiya does do similar with the motor mounts.... except, the holes aren't SO close, that they're practically siamesed!!
I don't think I would run a really hot motor with that. Although, I've STILL never used any Brushless Motor! In my case, even if I could afford one...... I wouldn't be able to afford the ESC for it.
PoorManRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:13 AM   #46
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorManRC View Post
We have a guy like that, who occasionally brings out his TRX-4, with 22 VOLTS and a 4750kv Chinese non Sensored Motor!!!
He's ALSO that guy who paid almost $525.00, JUST so he can say that he had one of the FIRST....

Also, Tamiya does do similar with the motor mounts.... except, the holes aren't SO close, that they're practically siamesed!!
I don't think I would run a really hot motor with that. Although, I've STILL never used any Brushless Motor! In my case, even if I could afford one...... I wouldn't be able to afford the ESC for it.
If you wanna go BL, check out Hobbywing's stuff. They have crawler specific things and reasonably priced

Hobbywing will be going in this, as soon as I get around to ordering it

For a crawler/trail rig/scale ride, there ain't no need for that much power

I'm one of the first with this and I only paid $203ish shipped from China/Hong Kong

Old 01-30-2018, 09:47 AM   #47
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
If you wanna go BL, check out Hobbywing's stuff. They have crawler specific things and reasonably priced
Hobbywing will be going in this, as soon as I get around to ordering it
For a crawler/trail rig/scale ride, there ain't no need for that much power

I'm one of the first with this and I only paid $203ish shipped from China/Hong Kong
I've considered them for a couple of years now..... 10 years ago, I was still working, and would have pulled the trigger on a Castle Mamba X System, without a second thought!
But, life happens.

Even $200.00 is way out of my price range - even though it sounds like a great deal.
I'm a little too Old and Broken to be crawling around on Rocks, in competition anymore...
So my Axial AE-5 and a good Brushed Motor is going to have to do it for me.
I'm expecting a rather Large Inheritance - if I can outlive my 98 year old Great Uncle!!!

Besides, I haven't even finished building my Wraith.... my first Axial Product ever! So I have no real idea how it's going to perform, or what it will need, yet.
I KNOW this for certain.... that Wraith is going to BLOW the doors, windows, and HOOD off of my CC-01 Landfreeder and my HG P402!!!!!!

I'm very interested in seeing how Yours is going to do! Looks good so far. Definitely Subbed to this!
Old 01-30-2018, 09:52 AM   #48
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I've considered them for a couple of years now..... 10 years ago, I was still working, and would have pulled the trigger on a Castle Mamba X System, without a second thought!
But, life happens.

Even $200.00 is way out of my price range - even though it sounds like a great deal.
I'm a little too Old and Broken to be crawling around on Rocks, in competition anymore...
So my Axial AE-5 and a good Brushed Motor is going to have to do it for me.
I'm expecting a rather Large Inheritance - if I can outlive my 98 year old Great Uncle!!!

Besides, I haven't even finished building my Wraith.... my first Axial Product ever! So I have no real idea how it's going to perform, or what it will need, yet.
I KNOW this for certain.... that Wraith is going to BLOW the doors, windows, and HOOD off of my CC-01 Landfreeder and my HG P402!!!!!!

I'm very interested in seeing how Yours is going to do! Looks good so far. Definitely Subbed to this!
This is getting a brushed motor regardless of what's in it now. I'll run this stock brushed motor until I (hopefully) kill it and then it'll be replaced by a power hobby or another tekin one - the 55t i have sitting on my bench may just be a little too slow

A can see a wraith packing big power because it's different than this, or the CC01 or the PG4XX ride. Actually Hobbywing have some nice setups way less than $200 (unless you were talking about this kit) and if I wanted to go brushless, I'd go that route

Old 01-30-2018, 10:10 AM   #49
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
This is getting a brushed motor regardless of what's in it now. I'll run this stock brushed motor until I (hopefully) kill it and then it'll be replaced by a power hobby or another tekin one - the 55t i have sitting on my bench may just be a little too slow
A can see a Wraith packing big power because it's different than this, or the CC01 or the PG4XX ride. Actually Hobbywing have some nice setups way less than $200 (unless you were talking about this kit) and if I wanted to go brushless, I'd go that route

The Wraith is in a WHOLE different Class!!! I can't WAIT to get her running! The CC-01 is a fun little Trail Truck, and the ONLY thing going for the P402, is the lowest Axle Gear in the Hobby (4.57:1)!! Other than that, it's a RUBBER framed Beast, that I have modified as far as anyone has, to end up with a barely average performer.....
Of course, that was all I could afford........ Until an awesome Friend bought me this Wraith Spawn Kit!! I couldn't be more stoked!

I've run Brushed Motors since I started, back in 1985, with my obligatory Grasshopper. Back then, I thought upgrading to a 540 Silver Can Tamiya Motor was a HUGE deal!!!
Times have definitely changed, mostly for the better. Hey, with the popularity of BL Motors and Lipos - I can get Brushed Motors and NiMh Batteries, dirt cheap!!
Old 01-30-2018, 10:15 AM   #50
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
The Wraith is in a WHOLE different Class!!! I can't WAIT to get her running! The CC-01 is a fun little Trail Truck, and the ONLY thing going for the P402, is the lowest Axle Gear in the Hobby (4.57:1)!! Other than that, it's a RUBBER framed Beast, that I have modified as far as anyone has, to end up with a barely average performer.....
Of course, that was all I could afford........ Until an awesome Friend bought me this Wraith Spawn Kit!! I couldn't be more stoked!

I've run Brushed Motors since I started, back in 1985, with my obligatory Grasshopper. Back then, I thought upgrading to a 540 Silver Can Tamiya Motor was a HUGE deal!!!
Times have definitely changed, mostly for the better. Hey, with the popularity of BL Motors and Lipos - I can get Brushed Motors and NiMh Batteries, dirt cheap!!
Yeah, the thing I won't run any more is nimh batteries. Not worth it. I kicked and screamed changing over to lipo for my race chassis, but once I did it was like the clouds parted and blue sky came shining thru.

I've been racing since 85 as well, except my first was the Tamiya Falcon, and then a AE RC12e and then the hugely advanced AE RC12L

I run brushless in every chassis I can, only one race ride of mine is a brushed silver can, and that's because the class specifically says brushed Tamiya silver can.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:48 AM   #51
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Yeah, the thing I won't run any more is nimh batteries. Not worth it. I kicked and screamed changing over to lipo for my race chassis, but once I did it was like the clouds parted and blue sky came shining thru.

I've been racing since 85 as well, except my first was the Tamiya Falcon, and then a AE RC12e and then the hugely advanced AE RC12L
I run brushless in every chassis I can, only one race ride of mine is a brushed silver can, and that's because the class specifically says brushed Tamiya silver can.
We followed similar paths..... After Grasshopper, I got the Racing bug. It was a natural, because I raced 1:1 Cars too! So I got the "hot car" at the Track...... a Frog!!! Then things got Serious in a hurry I got the first RC-10, and never looked back. Thing is, after about 7 years of semi-pro Racing, it seemed to reach a point where if I got something on Friday, built it and took it to the Track on Saturday..... The Damn thing felt OBSOLETE by the A-Main!!!
By 96, I was out.... I was having trouble getting around, due to a well placed IED in Kuwait, in 1991.
Besides that, the early 90's was a period of such rapid advancement in RC Buggies and "Monster Trucks" (which had turned into nothing more than a flat pan Buggy, with a weak resemblance of a Truck Body, and Wheels that stuck OUT roughly 2 Scale Feet beyond the outer fenders!).....
As a Model Railroader and Scale Model Builder since 1975, they were becoming ridiculous looking to me.

Then, less than 2 years ago, I was stumbling through YouTube, and found Videos about Scalers and Crawlers......
I was hooked hard and dragged back into the Hobby again!! Except now, I'm Disabled, and a Veteran getting screwed by the Government of the Country I love, and fought for (in the World's shortest War, with seemingly the longest cleanup!!). I haven't seen a Raise in Retirement and Benefits in over 8 years! Co-pays and Deductibles went up sharply, as well as the cost of living. I'm barely scraping by.

But that's enough bitching... Back to work on my Wraith!!
Old 01-30-2018, 11:26 AM   #52
I wanna be Dave

this thread is great, and the 3 racing kit looks MUCH better than i thought! very well executed and i am impressed with how "outside the box" they did this.

poorman i totally get where you are coming from. I've been doing all this on a shoe-string budget as well. but your CC01 sounds like a BLAST and I've loved Tamiya stuff since 1990-ish when i got my blackfoot. i actually have a Tamiya silver can 540 27T "GT Tuned" in my 2 speed ascender right now! powered by a holmes trailmaster BR with a 3S lipo pack... geared with a 12 tooth pinion, its a quick, but very controllable trail truck!
i love brushed motors and the only thing I've ever had with a BL is my yeti, and its just the RTR axial setup. plenty fast for me!!!

kaybo thanks for the awesome build thread on this VERY NEW kit.
poorman thanks for your contribution to discussion and "everyman" budget approach to RC. also, thanks for your service. your sacrifices are not lost on us sir! (I'm active duty navy, joined in 2000 so yes i was in middle school during desert storm)

hope to see both this EX Real, and the wraith up and running soon!
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:34 PM   #53
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
this thread is great, and the 3 racing kit looks MUCH better than i thought! very well executed and i am impressed with how "outside the box" they did this.

poorman i totally get where you are coming from. I've been doing all this on a shoe-string budget as well. but your CC01 sounds like a BLAST and I've loved Tamiya stuff since 1990-ish when i got my blackfoot. i actually have a Tamiya silver can 540 27T "GT Tuned" in my 2 speed ascender right now! powered by a holmes trailmaster BR with a 3S lipo pack... geared with a 12 tooth pinion, its a quick, but very controllable trail truck!
i love brushed motors and the only thing I've ever had with a BL is my yeti, and its just the RTR axial setup. plenty fast for me!!!

kaybo thanks for the awesome build thread on this VERY NEW kit.
poorman thanks for your contribution to discussion and "everyman" budget approach to RC. also, thanks for your service. your sacrifices are not lost on us sir! (I'm active duty navy, joined in 2000 so yes i was in middle school during desert storm)
hope to see both this EX Real, and the wraith up and running soon!
Thank You, I really appreciate it! Serving my Country was MY Honor, and I would have kept doing it, if I could......
My CC-01 Landfreeder is a lot of fun to run around. It will NEVER be a Crawler though. I've put just about every Aluminum Upgrade in it, plus some tricks I've picked up over the years. They have a CHRONIC problem with VERY sloppy Steering!!! Happy to say, thanks to some AE spare parts, some JB Weld, and a LOT of swearing - I can now joke about having the only CC-01 in the Country with tight Steering!!!

~ Of course NOW, Yeah Racing has come out with a new style Bellcrank kit, that practically ELIMINATES slop in CC-01s!!!

I run a 25 turn Tamiya Torque-Tuned Motor in my P402. It's very smooth - even with a CHEAP Chinese knock-off ESC!!! Runs very cool too. But, it does have extremely LOW gearing! If it could actually STICK, and not have it's "flexible flyer" Frame, it MIGHT Actually Crawl..... It even came with CMS!!

It's NO Wraith!!! I can't WAIT to get it finished and running. Here in Southern Arizona, we've got PLENTY of steep, Rocky terrain. If I can lower the gearing enough, that thing should be able to climb WALLS!!!

Kaybo, I'm also looking forward to seeing your Build! It's a very cool looking and interesting (in a good way!), Rig!! I'm sure that several people will be interested too.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:34 PM   #54

I ordered one on monday,looks sweet,Hi Kev I think I used to race w/you. lookin forward to the build.
gasgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:46 PM   #55

Can you say Motorama?
gasgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:55 PM   #56
Rock Crawler

I'm dyin to see what the axles look like!
Kylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:20 PM   #57
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylar View Post
I'm dyin to see what the axles look like!
Me too

I got tied up with work and family this week. But will try to do some more tonight, assuming my phone battery cooperates

The little bit I did do on them makes me think they're gonna be nice, but they are multi-piece so that'll turn some people off

Old 02-01-2018, 06:21 PM   #58
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgod View Post
I ordered one on monday,looks sweet,Hi Kev I think I used to race w/you. lookin forward to the build.
Hey. Yeah, I remember the screen name. Sadly, my brain sucks and I'm failing on your real name :( and yea, we used to race together with Ray Murray

Glad to see some people I know from racing getting into this

Old 02-01-2018, 08:17 PM   #59
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Me too

I got tied up with work and family this week. But will try to do some more tonight, assuming my phone battery cooperates

The little bit I did do on them makes me think they're gonna be nice, but they are multi-piece so that'll turn some people off

Haha, no worries. I know how it can be

I'm ok with multi piece axles, thinking about possibly grabbing one of these for a build myself.
Kylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:47 PM   #60
RCC Addict

Anybody know how the steering is on these? Can they turn like an Scx10 ii, or at least like an Ascender? I can't find any specs or comparison shots. :(
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote

3Racing Crawler Ex (EX Real) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My first real crawler. onebadtrooper General Crawlers 21 12-27-2005 11:34 PM
Crawler 4 Real 51504rock Chit Chat 3 11-19-2005 12:52 AM
Project Suzuki Samuri tube crawler.replica of a real crawler RCWizard General Crawlers 7 12-24-2004 06:53 PM