Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 3Racing Crawler Ex (EX Real)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2018, 02:44 AM   #121
Rock Stacker

Default Re: 3Racing Crawler Ex (EX Real)

Well I started a thread, hit send and the bloody thing disappeared so here's a couple photo of my rig with the body mocked up.

havent done much crawling with it yet as my course is built for 2.2s not these pisspoor 1.9s that come standard, guess its time to build a scale track too.
still plenty to do but **** me its a hoot on 3s in top gear.
Dungas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2018, 07:56 AM   #122
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by StomperCrawler View Post
Excellent responses. Don't get me wrong: I'm not trying to bash the kit. I guess I should've asked "You have this kit in-hand. What do you think of this guy's opinion? Are they legit or is he being too picky?" I didn't mean to offend; just wanted to know what you thought.
Not offended, just shocked that someone would make such ridiculous assumptions in a video, like he was spewing fact. Like I said about that dude, he lost all credibility with me when I saw him using the electric screw driver

But as to whether the dude was being to picky, absolutely. Some of the items you had (which I'm assuming is based off comments he made) are just crazy. The bumpers might be weak, and cool that it was mentioned, but not giving you longer links to change the wheelbase?? That's nuts, no one includes that.

It's cool that so many thread and build videos and even basement product reviewers exist these days - but it gets to a saturation point and too much turns into WAY too much.

He very well might have valid points, but (to me) he looses credibility for making lame observations.

BTW - 3Racing has release some aluminum parts for this kit, chassis braces, servo mount, shock tower. So that'll address anything that people feel are weaknesses.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
kaybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:59 AM   #123
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dungas View Post
Well I started a thread, hit send and the bloody thing disappeared so here's a couple photo of my rig with the body mocked up.

havent done much crawling with it yet as my course is built for 2.2s not these pisspoor 1.9s that come standard, guess its time to build a scale track too.
still plenty to do but **** me its a hoot on 3s in top gear.
I wouldn't know about 2nd gear on 3s ;) :(

Besides, I pulled the stock motor out and threw in a 55t I had, since I felt the kit motor was too fast on 3s

You're way farther along with yours than I am with mine - you have a body to mock up; I'm still waiting to order mine

Old 02-14-2018, 05:35 PM   #124

Well I got it.Building it now,so far I am missing a driveshaft coupler barrel for the driveshaft cvd and a 14mm grub screw for the link ends. have xtra screws eclips=ect left over from the bags And NO PART # on any of the missing stuff.I must say tho-I am inpressed with the kits overall quality.I think this is going to be a good scaler.Oh well on with the build.Radio bx is a joke.are those rgt bodies>.?

Last edited by gasgod; 02-14-2018 at 05:45 PM.
gasgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:00 AM   #125
Rock Stacker

Yeah RGT bodies, my lads arrived damaged so i got a free replacement and gave the old one the chop.
Its more or less complete just needs tidying up and switch out all the temporary electronics.

Last edited by Dungas; 02-15-2018 at 01:03 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:49 AM   #126
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgod View Post
Well I got it.Building it now,so far I am missing a driveshaft coupler barrel for the driveshaft cvd and a 14mm grub screw for the link ends. have xtra screws eclips=ect left over from the bags And NO PART # on any of the missing stuff.I must say tho-I am inpressed with the kits overall quality.I think this is going to be a good scaler.Oh well on with the build.Radio bx is a joke.are those rgt bodies>.?
Wow. That sucks that you were missing pieces.

Let me know, well you and Dungas, how you make out with the shifting.

Mine worked fine and then re-assembled everything went to hell

Either I'm now using a strong enough servo, or something with the throw is mucked up

If I lock it in high gear, it's fine, and low/1st/regular gear is fine. Just the shifting to 2nd won't stay

Either way, spares will have to be ordered glad they're super cheap (and free shipping from 3Racing direct)

Old 02-15-2018, 12:51 PM   #127
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaybo View Post
Like I said about that dude, he lost all credibility with me when I saw him using the electric screw driver
Very cool to see what's up with another type of scaler. Just not sure about the hard line on electric drivers. With my clutch set appropriately and going easy on the trigger (as to not melt the plastic) I've found my 12v cordless driver to be a life... er.. wrist saver. Especially when building things like Bomber or Wraith cages.
JohnnyAnguish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:02 PM   #128
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyAnguish View Post
Very cool to see what's up with another type of scaler. Just not sure about the hard line on electric drivers. With my clutch set appropriately and going easy on the trigger (as to not melt the plastic) I've found my 12v cordless driver to be a life... er.. wrist saver. Especially when building things like Bomber or Wraith cages.
Just the old school side of me

I get the clutches can be set super soft. I know from seeing people try it in the past, horrible experiences can happen. Not saying it happens all the time, but I've seen it enough.

Plus, these screws was a major PITA, and unless your super careful, things can go wrong quickly

Old 02-15-2018, 06:14 PM   #129

screw dat I used axial parts
Old 02-19-2018, 02:04 AM   #130
Rock Stacker

I also need to order a new shift nut..
Old 02-19-2018, 04:48 AM   #131
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I also need to order a new shift nut..
Chewed yours up too?

Luckily they're only $4 (w/free shipping) from 3Racing direct

What kind of servo were/are you using for shifting? I have a feeling you need a 150+ oz servo

Old 02-19-2018, 12:57 PM   #132

Ok its done.Satisfied w/ the build.But there are a few quirks;bumper is a joke, no skids,foams for the tires(are these even foam)?1.4 pistons missing(built w/1.3)rec.bx????.BUT --for the price the kits a winner! Did some indoor crawlin last night(without body)and it did really well (no foams)stock tires soaked in red dot 2 days.And yes I compared it wit my new scx10ii crc edition.Not quite equal to it but --it was $200 cheaper.good job 3racing.It seems this chassis was made for their hardbody d60 but I want a pickup body.

Last edited by gasgod; 02-19-2018 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:38 PM   #133
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Ok its done.Satisfied w/ the build.But there are a few quirks;bumper is a joke, no skids,foams for the tires(are these even foam)?1.4 pistons missing(built w/1.3)rec.bx????.BUT --for the price the kits a winner! Did some indoor crawlin last night(without body)and it did really well (no foams)stock tires soaked in red dot 2 days.And yes I compared it wit my new scx10ii crc edition.Not quite equal to it but --it was $200 cheaper.good job 3racing.It seems this chassis was made for their hardbody d60 but I want a pickup body.
Wow. You had some issues with parts. My 1.4 pistons were loose in the bag, not on a tree

I'm not even going to try the tires at this point - unless I stumble upon some really cheapo inserts

I kinda like the receiver box, it's definitely the biggest one on the market (unless MST's is bigger). Mine is only going to hold my receiver and winch controller and maybe the light controller - speedo is outside

I just wish mine shifted better. But I think all my issues are with the servo and it not strong enough

Old 02-19-2018, 06:40 PM   #134
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
My D90 body is on the way. I might have to get a beater body for it since it now seems like my daughter might want one to drive. She's been driving her brother's deadbolt the last 2 days and doing fairly well with it (much better than onroad racing )

Old 02-19-2018, 09:33 PM   #135
RCC Addict

Quote:
What don't you like about the bumper? Not enough connection support? Also, does the tranny shift on the fly, or only while sitting still?
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:41 PM   #136
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by StomperCrawler View Post
What don't you like about the bumper? Not enough connection support? Also, does the tranny shift on the fly, or only while sitting still?
I'm not sure what the bit is with the bumper either. Is it metal, nope - but it's still decent

According to the website, you need to sit still then shift. I'm having issues with the servo, so I haven't tried shifting on the fly

On the other hand, the beadlocks really hold the tire in place just hate the 12 screws per side

Old 02-20-2018, 02:54 AM   #137
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaybo View Post
Chewed yours up too?

Luckily they're only $4 (w/free shipping) from 3Racing direct

What kind of servo were/are you using for shifting? I have a feeling you need a 150+ oz servo

$4 for you folks in the states maybe, its $20 postage on top for me on the other side of the globe. in defense of the kit mine only chewed out because i dont have a shift servo hooked up, just the linkage cable tied (obviously not tight enough) it only had to jump out a couple of times and it was toast. i need to tear down the box anyway as i know for a fact i put some of the drive pins in the wrong spot as i had to grind down others and make one from a drill bit because i'm an idiot who cant follow instructions to the tee and consequently there is an incredibly annoying clicking that i now have to rectify. other than that mishap the thing performed awesomely over the weekend. need to dial in the front end and do something about the stupidly hard foams, might try star cutting them.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:37 AM   #138
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
$4 for you folks in the states maybe, its $20 postage on top for me on the other side of the globe. in defense of the kit mine only chewed out because i dont have a shift servo hooked up, just the linkage cable tied (obviously not tight enough) it only had to jump out a couple of times and it was toast. i need to tear down the box anyway as i know for a fact i put some of the drive pins in the wrong spot as i had to grind down others and make one from a drill bit because i'm an idiot who cant follow instructions to the tee and consequently there is an incredibly annoying clicking that i now have to rectify. other than that mishap the thing performed awesomely over the weekend. need to dial in the front end and do something about the stupidly hard foams, might try star cutting them.
Check 3Racing's site - not their eBay shop. Shipping is free directly from them - and technically, where I am, I'm on the other side as well and I was wrong, it's about $6USD for the spur/shift nut set - but still free shipping

I'm not sure if you noticed it or not, but there are notches in shift rod that you can put/move an e-clip to, so that you can lock the transmission into one gear or the other

If that doesn't, just throw a cheapo servo there to hold the shift arm in place

Old 02-20-2018, 04:40 AM   #139
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Yeah, the foams are horrible, but the beadlocks are surprisingly good. Looks like they took some major dense foam, like the kind you'd see on a swimming pool toy, and cut that.

I started building one of my kit tires without the foams, just to see (gasgod did the same.) The rims don't have a breather hole so the tire just built is "full of air"

Old 02-22-2018, 05:55 PM   #140

The deal with the bumper is -as soon as you hit it on ground it pops out of the slots. and do not try to shift on the fly,you must stop,then shift.I am pretty happy with the truck so far.I put a coyote body on it(wheelbase is close).but soon will change the wheelbase to something longer.need better driveshafts too as mine are wonky, axial should fit and the inner parts are longer.Been nice out so I been beatin it.

3Racing Crawler Ex (EX Real) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My first real crawler. onebadtrooper General Crawlers 21 12-27-2005 11:34 PM
Crawler 4 Real 51504rock Chit Chat 3 11-19-2005 12:52 AM
Project Suzuki Samuri tube crawler.replica of a real crawler RCWizard General Crawlers 7 12-24-2004 06:53 PM