Notices

Thread: Imthatguy builds a Ripper.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2018, 04:08 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Imthatguy builds a Ripper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post

And here it is, essentially kit completed, except for links, which I hate building. My thin girlish fingers don't agree with all those rod ends.
If you build enough links, your fingers turn into hairy knuckled jelly bean squishers. True story, brah !
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2018, 05:51 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
You need a #szczerbatool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilinvic View Post
I use the Traxxas Slash rod end tool. Save your fingers!

I stick a pice of rod through the eye.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:32 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
I stick a pice of rod through the eye.
Amen to that. Or those trashy cheap L shaped hex wrenches.
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:11 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Well I bit the bullet and assembled all the links, even without a tool. Carpal Tunnel RULESZ!

Let's build some axles!

This is usually pretty fun, and as usual, this was no exception. The F9 is a very cool looking axle. When Axial released their AR44, they did everything right and made them really small, which allows for a lot more realism in the pumpkin department courtesy of Vanquish.

Step one is to secure the ring and pinion in the cover. Remember your blue loctite. Those bearing caps make for a snug fit, and Vanquish's ring and pinions are quite strong.

Step two, add the cover piece to the one-piece axle assembly and bolt up. Add your shafts, and bolt it all together.

Completed.

Front is exactly the same process save for the servo mount, which is required for this truck. Yes, I'll lose a couple points for no CMS, but 'tis okay.

Both axles completed.

And bolted to truck. I'm still deciding on shock setup, leaning towards Traxxas Big Bores in Droop with Mini-T springs (much success with that setup) so just hanging on the links here:

And for wheels/tires? RC4WD Wrangler M/T's with PitBull Dirty Richard foams on KMC Machete's. I watched n00b run these tires last year and was thoroughly impressed. Great tread depth, spacing, and compound. Matched with a quality foam, they should be a killer combination.

Now, to start figuring out electronics and transmission bits. Supershafty has sent me driveshafts specifically for the Ripper. More to come.
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:30 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Such a great "kit" !

I just recently found your YT channel, been enjoying the Honcho budget build.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:13 PM   #26
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
I just recently found your YT channel
Have you been living under a rock?!

Matt has done a ton for the RC world, and the quality of all his media is awesome. I follow their Facebook and Instagram accounts too - always showing the latest & greatest products, giving shoutouts to build threads, awesome stuff

Build is coming along great, definitely excited to see the final product!!
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:38 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Why not change it up and go with some velvets before it is to late. This is a premium build after all. Hard to find different color though. I know you can get red, silver, black, gold and purple but man is it hard to find parts for that. I have 8 red shocks and shock caps in the colors above.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
Johan_Eriksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:34 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXGMC View Post

Matt has done a ton for the RC world, and the quality of all his media is awesome. I follow their Facebook and Instagram accounts too - always showing the latest & greatest products, giving shoutouts to build threads, awesome stuff

Nope, no rocks. I just don't do the social media.

I know that Matt and a few other of the great builders on here do a tremendous amount of work to showcase how incredible this hobby can be. When I had a big Jerp build thread years ago posted here and and at Scale4x4, Matt invited me to join and post the build at the SBG. I thought that it was quite the honor to be asked to join that group because I didn't ( and still don't) consider my skills to be at their level, but it is great to have them around and share what they do so that myself and others can push their skill set.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:48 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Kit looks awesome, but this is so unlike you, Matt...where are all the custom built goodies and styrene ski racks and something you made from an old keychain and a bread wrapper?
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:50 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

I didn't realize that you were even on this Forum Matt!! I haven't been under a Rock, but I haven't been on this Forum very long!!
I definitely Subbed this Thread, even though I'm in a state of SHOCK!!!

This Rig is bound to be EPIC.... But Holy @$#%&#!!! $1900.00 for an INCOMPLETE KIT!!??? I'm desperately trying to find $329 to be able to get the new Honcho.. I can't imagine ever being able to afford THAT.
But, it's certainly a premium Product. I didn't even know that Vanquish made Rig Kits.... and now I see why. It's going to be something special, I'll never be able to have one. But I will enjoy seeing what Crazy Cool Stuff you come up with for this!!

I really like what you're doing with your Honcho Build. But then you should know that, by my YouTube comments! You and Josh are really doing the Community a Service, with that Budget Build Series!
If I can afford to get a Honcho of my own, I'm going through all of those Videos again!
PoorManRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 03:37 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorManRC View Post
I didn't realize that you were even on this Forum Matt!! I haven't been under a Rock, but I haven't been on this Forum very long!!

This Rig is bound to be EPIC.... But Holy @$#%&#!!! $1900.00 for an INCOMPLETE KIT!!??? I'm desperately trying to find $329 to be able to get the new Honcho.. I can't imagine ever being able to afford THAT.
But, it's certainly a premium Product. I didn't even know that Vanquish made Rig Kits.... and now I see why. It's going to be something special, I'll never be able to have one. But I will enjoy seeing what Crazy Cool Stuff you come up with for this!!

I really like what you're doing with your Honcho Build. But then you should know that, by my YouTube comments! You and Josh are really doing the Community a Service, with that Budget Build Series!
If I can afford to get a Honcho of my own, I'm going through all of those Videos again!

The SCX10 II is a good choice if you get one you’ll love it. As for Matt, you’re right his builds are amazing, this one will certainly be no different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ThatJeeper2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:57 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Gorgeous, and just as nicely engineered as I imagined back when I first saw these on the Vanquish site.

Perhaps a set of DravTech shocks would suit it?

After all, they are basically heavily modded Big-Bores...
durok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:53 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Such a great "kit" !

I just recently found your YT channel, been enjoying the Honcho budget build.
Thanks! It's very fun and motivating to shoot, cut and produce enough content to make one every week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXGMC View Post

I dunno about a ton. Others have done way more. I just like this hobby, and our little subgenre a lot and want it to be a success so I have something to do in retirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan_Eriksson View Post
Why not change it up and go with some velvets before it is to late. This is a premium build after all. Hard to find different color though. I know you can get red, silver, black, gold and purple but man is it hard to find parts for that. I have 8 red shocks and shock caps in the colors above.

Velvets are cool, without a doubt, but can they be setup for droop? Is the shock body large enough to handle that? I'm not super familiar.

Quote:
Nope, no rocks. I just don't do the social media.

I know that Matt and a few other of the great builders on here do a tremendous amount of work to showcase how incredible this hobby can be. When I had a big Jerp build thread years ago posted here and and at Scale4x4, Matt invited me to join and post the build at the SBG. I thought that it was quite the honor to be asked to join that group because I didn't ( and still don't) consider my skills to be at their level, but it is great to have them around and share what they do so that myself and others can push their skill set.
It's not about being at any "level", just about showcasing, getting better through trying things, and sharing techniques. Glad you're part of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
Kit looks awesome, but this is so unlike you, Matt...where are all the custom built goodies and styrene ski racks and something you made from an old keychain and a bread wrapper?
Don't worry, to make up points I'll get all kinds of sleeping bags glued to the roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorManRC View Post

Thanks Carmine. Yes, this truck is expensive, but view it as a Halo vehicle that showcases what is possible with machining, and you see the value it has to a company like Vanquish. Thanks for the kind words, I'm really enjoying the video series with Josh. Despite his horrible impressions of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatJeeper2017 View Post
The SCX10 II is a good choice if you get one you’ll love it. As for Matt, you’re right his builds are amazing, this one will certainly be no different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah shucks. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Gorgeous, and just as nicely engineered as I imagined back when I first saw these on the Vanquish site.

Perhaps a set of DravTech shocks would suit it?

After all, they are basically heavily modded Big-Bores...
For now, I've landed on a set of Big Bores that I set up for droop. It's low, and I like where it's sitting.

I'm surprised at how much lower it's sitting than last year's comp truck. Happy face emoji.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:20 AM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
Velvets are cool, without a doubt, but can they be setup for droop? Is the shock body large enough to handle that? I'm not super familiar.

Outside shock body is 11.9mm. Pretty sure it same as big bores or close to them. You run drop with internal spring? fr8cture is the king of velvets though. He has like 10+ sets lol

Johan_Eriksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:42 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Subscribed...

Expensive toy.
Cheaper than full-size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan_Eriksson View Post
Outside shock body is 11.9mm. Pretty sure it same as big bores or close to them. You run drop with internal spring? fr8cture is the king of velvets though. He has like 10+ sets lol

Yep, internal spring. I'll check out the velvets, but have the new Incision's as a backup.

Started this week by building myself a transmission.

Metal on metal on metal inside a case made of metal.

I'm really digging this piece:

Yes, I know Dig is illegal in C2, don't worry, I won't engage it. It's really for having fun at other events not governed by them silly "rules".

JDM JDM!

Since the truck I'm modelling this after had yellow headlights, I said why not?, and did the same. Yay for accuracy.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:50 PM   #36
RCC Addict

Ah, very nice. And bravo for correctly oriented those MT/Rs.
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:52 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

I’m glad you ended up putting dig into this.

As soon as I seen the trans progression, I’m like fingers crossed it has dig.
filotr14lsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 05:04 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Wonder when it will be revealed what truck you are replicating.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:04 AM   #39
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcagno45 View Post
technically its an asymmetrical tread pattern tire, not a directional tread pattern tire, so you don't really have a "correct" method of mounting them. On the full size version of the tire it says "mount this side inboard" on one sidewall, with the large blocks outboard and the small inboard, but after talking with a goodyear tire engineer at King of the Hammers several years ago, He claimed a lot of competitive wheelers had better performance and handling characteristics running them opposite of that, and was quick to admit that their mounting suggestion is just that, a suggestion, and its a non directional tire.

For the record, when I ran them I ran them as indicated and as are mounted here also.
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:35 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcagno45 View Post
Ha, thanks, and yes, as said below, you can mount them any way you want, but at least orient them all the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filotr14lsdude View Post
I’m glad you ended up putting dig into this.

As soon as I seen the trans progression, I’m like fingers crossed it has dig.
Dig is new to me, but I'm keen to give it a try. I like the added options it offers for driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8cture View Post
Wonder when it will be revealed what truck you are replicating.
Soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeMinnix View Post
technically its an asymmetrical tread pattern tire, not a directional tread pattern tire, so you don't really have a "correct" method of mounting them. On the full size version of the tire it says "mount this side inboard" on one sidewall, with the large blocks outboard and the small inboard, but after talking with a goodyear tire engineer at King of the Hammers several years ago, He claimed a lot of competitive wheelers had better performance and handling characteristics running them opposite of that, and was quick to admit that their mounting suggestion is just that, a suggestion, and its a non directional tire.

For the record, when I ran them I ran them as indicated and as are mounted here also.
I know Chino runs them on his full size FJ, and took note of the way he installed them.

Imthatguy builds a Ripper. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Imthatguy builds an SCX10 II imthatguy Axial SCX10 II 216 09-18-2018 02:15 PM
Imthatguy builds a Toyota - SHOCKER! imthatguy 1.9 Scale Rigs 57 10-19-2017 08:06 AM
Imthatguy builds a Cherokee because he hates Jeeps. imthatguy 1.9 Scale Rigs 57 10-31-2016 02:46 PM