Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: SCX10 II Kit Build Thread (First Kit Build&First Crawler)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2018, 09:37 PM   #1

Default SCX10 II Kit Build Thread (First Kit Build&First Crawler)

List of mods:
Xtra Speed Axle Housing
SSD C-Hubs, Knuckles, Lockouts, Brass Weights
STRC Front, Middle, Rear Chassis Brace, Transmission and Servo Brace, Shock Towers
Integy Battery Box Brace
RC4WD Baja Claws
G Made SR02 Beadlocks (OTW)
RC4WD 45T Can
Hobbywing WP1080
Savox 1230-SG
CBE Shock Keys

KrAwLeRFiNaTiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2018, 10:05 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: SCX10 II Kit Build Thread (First Kit Build&First Crawler)

I recommend either replacing the stock shocks with trx-4's or else at least rebuilding with green slime and thicker shock oil. Also, a longer 3Racing metal servo arm will give you more steer if you don't have a 180deg servo and programmable transmitter to run it. ;)
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:13 PM   #3

I appreciate your advise. I will definitely look into these attributes. I was going to do shocks next anyways as I can tell they inhibit travel pretty dramatically. So you recommend the trx4 shocks? What are they like 100mm? I was debating 100 or 110mm shocks.
The stockers are fairly smooth so far but definitely too short, I did green slime and machine the piston mildly.
As far as the steering goes, I have the Servo connected and by manually turning the tires I think I have max steering articulation. The tires about hit the frame rails, though that doesn't necessarily mean the servo will drive them that way if it's not 180 degrees. It came with multiple servo horns..
I think it may be a good idea to keep this plastic as I would rather strip the horn vs the servo if things get sketchy lol
Old 02-20-2018, 10:48 PM   #4

More Pictures. Im still waiting on a few parts for this build but man has it been fun so far..
In one of these pictures you will see how i modified the front bumper for a better approach angle, and it look better under the body.. yall let me have some instructive critisism.. mild droop setup right now. pretty good flex for mostly stock suspension.. what should i do next?? im thinking DRIVE IT haha

Old 02-20-2018, 10:57 PM   #5

Also i forgot to ask, since i already have this rig weighing over 7 lbs without a battery should i go light battery or go all out with a 1 lb 5000mah 50c 3s? thatll put me in middle weight with an scx10? what do yall think?
also the hobbywing wp1080 has a built in bec capable of 6 volts, this servo makes peak torque of 499 in/oz at 6 volts, so do i need an external bec or am i good? the built in bec is sequential. Thanks again
Old 02-20-2018, 11:47 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I have run both types of batteries... I prefer the light weight 2200Mah 3s...

499 oz is a lot of tq... I recomend a external bec. My understanding is the HW1080 is good for about 300 oz tq servos. Castle bec is my go to.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 04:55 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I couldn't find the trx-4 shock length info, but the ever-popular super-smooth Traxxas big bore 2662 are 101mm eye to eye extended (best deal is qty 8 for $60 shipped on eBay in the 4962 pack). I too use the 3s 2200mah lipo batteries (Turnigy $12 from Hobbyking) and recommend the $20 castle 10amp BEC for your massive-torque servo.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:09 AM   #8

Thanks for the recommendation of the 2662. Y'all have helped me make my decision. That shock comparison pictures leads me to believe that shock length will be perfectly suitable for this application.
I will use the factory axial springs with the stock oil and give those a try. As soon as they come in.
Any idea if beef tips shock collar would fit the shock link? For some added weight? their website doesn't give dimension.
And also about the esc, I was planning to run this esc but have yet to order it. Due to wiring simplicity and cleanliness I would prefer not to have to worry about running an external Bec. Is there an esc that is capable of handling this servo from a built in Bec? Or is this an absolute necessity? Thanks again guys for your help and recommendations.
Money is not really an issue. I mainly want the best run times possible. That's why I was considering a larger battery, what is a typical run time for a brushed application such as this with low speed crawling only?

Last edited by KrAwLeRFiNaTiC; 02-21-2018 at 06:12 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:56 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrAwLeRFiNaTiC View Post
Thanks for the recommendation of the 2662. Y'all have helped me make my decision. That shock comparison pictures leads me to believe that shock length will be perfectly suitable for this application.
I will use the factory axial springs with the stock oil and give those a try. As soon as they come in.
Any idea if beef tips shock collar would fit the shock link? For some added weight? their website doesn't give dimension.
And also about the esc, I was planning to run this esc but have yet to order it. Due to wiring simplicity and cleanliness I would prefer not to have to worry about running an external Bec. Is there an esc that is capable of handling this servo from a built in Bec? Or is this an absolute necessity? Thanks again guys for your help and recommendations.
Money is not really an issue. I mainly want the best run times possible. That's why I was considering a larger battery, what is a typical run time for a brushed application such as this with low speed crawling only?
Battery time, depending on driving style and rig weight (especially rotating) with 3s 2200mah, for me is 90 minutes (light rig, no extra weight).

The BEC is necessary to protect your ESC from burning out, and is easily wired using an adapter like this:

https://holmeshobbies.com/electronic...s-adapter.html

Not sure if the shock collars will fit; sorry. :(
Old 02-25-2018, 09:30 AM   #10

Well I installed all my electronics yesterday. I opted for the HW 80 Amp ESC, RC4WD 45 Turn Closed Endbell, Savox 1230 SG, Venom 5000 Mah 30c, and an external BEC.
Something can't be right the motor didn't have any power it couldn't even spin the tires if I held the bumper on a smooth surface.
I ran it for about 10 minutes maybe, and the motor burned out. I went through the programming on the ESC to ensure it was on lipo mode. And everything seemed good to go?
I didn't want wheel speed, but I fully expected it to have enough torque to spin the tires over and not just lock up and smoke the motor.
I also double checked the drivetrain, no binding and smooth.
Any recommendations on what the issue might be? Gearing? Do I need to gear down more for more torque?
Wiring? Perhaps that 10 dollar motor couldn't handle 3s?
Maybe just bad luck? I'm going to get a little bit more extensive of a motor this time.. see if it was just that.. thanks ahead

SCX10 II Kit Build Thread (First Kit Build&First Crawler) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX10 II Kit Build Thread (First Kit Build&First Crawler) KrAwLeRFiNaTiC 1.9 Scale Rigs 0 02-20-2018 09:02 PM
My SCX10 II Kit Build w/ Pics (First Ever Kit Build) KrAwLeRFiNaTiC 1.9 Scale Rigs 0 02-20-2018 08:54 PM
Jayn Kit Build Thread Jayn Axial Yeti XL 43 12-17-2015 07:32 AM
Axial AX-10 Scorpion 1/10 Rock Crawler Kit Build, Chapter 2 "The Mod Build" JAM MaxAmps.com Axial AX-10 Scorpion 42 06-06-2008 10:00 PM