Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Opinion on my HGP402

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2016, 04:13 PM   #1

Default Opinion on my HGP402

So, I 'am new to this. I just want to get peoples opinion on my next steps for my HG P402.

For the drivetrain I don't know where I stand. I haven't gone to the local Hobby shops course yet. It's winter here in Ma.

I don't know if I should add to the body for more scale looks or leave it for now. I know its nowhere close being "real scale".

Thanks
Marc
Yota-Irops is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2016, 03:00 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Opinion on my HGP402

Looks good,they are pretty capable on the youtube vids.
ou812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:25 PM   #3

thanks..
I know the HG is like the Red Head step child of the RC scaling world.

But I like it.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:07 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yota-Irops View Post
thanks..
I know the HG is like the Red Head step child of the RC scaling world.

But I like it.
I wouldn't worry about that at all. It's not what you drive but how you drive it.

I haven't really looked at these prior to this thread but the high pinion axles and the shock mounting possibilities seem interesting for being able to play around with suspension geometry. I also like the idea of the motor being turned 90* from the driveshafts to limit how much torque twist is caused by just the drivetrain parts themselves moving.

Personally, before I changed much more I'd spend a bunch of time driving and getting to know the truck more. Replace stuff when it breaks but not before to keep costs manageable.

Some suggestions to improve performance if you aren't happy are to make some simple brackets to raise the rear links where they mount to the chassis, this will help settle the truck down and increase traction while climbing if this is an issue with this truck (is with axials)
DrewHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:11 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

As long as you like it and you're having fun, that's all that matters. One thing about all the scale goodies, they add weight. Be careful not to add to much up high because this will raise the center of gravity and possibly make it a little harder to drive. I'm one to talk though. I'm decking one out that's so top heavy it falls over setting on the bench But it's a rig for having fun with, so I'll just have to learn how to drive something that takes a little more skill than I'm use to. Keep us posted on how well it does
Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 04:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewHammer View Post

Some suggestions to improve performance if you aren't happy are to make some simple brackets to raise the rear links where they mount to the chassis, this will help settle the truck down and increase traction while climbing if this is an issue with this truck (is with axials)
Thanks for input..

For moving the Rear link mounts. Do I drill holes in the frame and raise the y links mounting hole higher up near the battery tray?

I am afraid axial parts won't work with this truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepiac View Post
As long as you like it and you're having fun, that's all that matters. One thing about all the scale goodies, they add weight. Be careful not to add to much up high because this will raise the center of gravity and possibly make it a little harder to drive. I'm one to talk though. I'm decking one out that's so top heavy it falls over setting on the bench But it's a rig for having fun with, so I'll just have to learn how to drive something that takes a little more skill than I'm use to. Keep us posted on how well it does
with all my crap on the truck. Its weighing in around 6lbs.

Also the tires I pick up cheap. Well theirs a reason for being cheap. Their horrible.

Video links.
HG P402 trailing in Ma.

Last edited by THX_138; 02-01-2016 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:52 AM   #7

Looks good to me! I just bought one of these for my youngest son. I've found a number of items that I don't like about it, but overall it's a decent beginner machine. Great job customizing yours!
tiglu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:03 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yota-Irops View Post
Thanks for input..

For moving the Rear link mounts. Do I drill holes in the frame and raise the y links mounting hole higher up near the battery tray?

I am afraid axial parts won't work with this truck.
I would try to make some brackets out of aluminum or something so you don't have to hack the truck up to try something. You can pick up small pieces of it from your local hardware store for pretty cheap to see if it's something you want to explore.
DrewHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:05 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Thumbs up Re: Opinion on my HGP402

I actually hope that you've stuck with your HG!!
I recently purchased one, and have noticed that several people have given up on these... They've actually got some potential!!

The P402 Kit I got, is referred to as the "New Version". It has vastly improved machined gears, instead of the cast, pot metal ones that the first version had. About 60% of the bushings that it HAD, are now replaced with Ball Bearings!
AND, they fixed one of the biggest complaints - they changed the 4mm output shafts on the Axles and Transmission, to 5mm! Not only stronger, but being 5mm now, nearly anyone's upgraded driveshafts fits the P402 and P601..... Where as the first run models, nearly NOTHING in the way of driveshafts would fit, except theirs!
Huge improvements, for barely ANY increase in price!!!

I don't work for them, Banggood, or anyone. I just think that the new version, is really worth a look!
Mine, except for the too flexible, plastic frame rails, is WAY more than worth, the $78.00 that I paid for my P402 Kit!!
PoorManRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:11 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I just wish that I was able to see your pics....
However, thanks to Photobucket's new "P500, You now can't see forum pictures-unless you PAY for their premium membership" scheme.....
I can't see any of your pictures!! :-(
Old 08-10-2017, 02:26 AM   #11
clm
Quarry Creeper

I recently picked up one of these p402's from an Aliexpress seller for $69 shipped. It unfortunately came without the servo mount and the rear bumper mount missing. I am currently working to retrofit Axial frame rails to this one as well as a set of 'spare' TRX-4 wheels and tires.

I have been having a hard time finding a body that works for me at the 280/290/300 wheelbase as most seem to be for 313 wheelbase...

I have noticed the new larger driveshafts hit the Y link in front even before you compress the suspension...
clm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:33 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
I recently picked up one of these p402's from an Aliexpress seller for $69 shipped. It unfortunately came without the servo mount and the rear bumper mount missing. I am currently working to retrofit Axial frame rails to this one as well as a set of 'spare' TRX-4 wheels and tires.

I have been having a hard time finding a body that works for me at the 280/290/300 wheelbase as most seem to be for 313 wheelbase...

I have noticed the new larger driveshafts hit the Y link in front even before you compress the suspension...
I could have sworn that I had the bumper mount and tried to match it up to an SCX10, but I also seem to be missing the exact 2 pieces that you are. I think some screws were also missing or exchanged for the wrong type. Otherwise, I was happy with how the kit went together. I went ahead and ordered the aluminum servo mount and rear bumper mount, along with a servo for the 2 speed transmission. I have a 300mm Cherokee body, but the suspension has almost no flex or travel when set at 300mm using SCX10 shocks that I took off when I swapped to aluminum shocks. Fixing that is my next project.
aver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:57 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

It's great that I'm not alone here!! If I HAD the $400-600 needed to get going (including initial required bits and hop-ups)..... I'd have a Vaterra Ascender.
I don't. I'm a partly broken old man, with a love for an expensive Hobby!

These HG's - ANY of them, are not really for the "RTR" crowd.... The guy who just wants to take it out of the box and run it, will be pretty disappointed.
It's not advertised this way, but these are great for the more experienced RC'er... The guy willing to tinker with it, and has a pretty good supply of spare parts - or knows how to get them cheap enough.

Those who have them already, know that they're CRAP out of the box!! It's got torque twist, major bump steer, the tires suck and the shocks are even worse!!!
BUT - if you've worked on one, you can see it's potential!
Initial Needs:
1) Metal Frame Rails. (not necessarily HG's, unless you can get them domestically).
2) Shocks! Stock SUCKS! If they don't stick when compressed, they're nothing more than non oil pogo sticks! However, the Springs are decent, have a good, soft rate, and work on a few 95-110mm shocks, including Axial.
3) Tires/Wheels. 1.9, 2.2, either works. Between 100mm and 122mm have worked pretty well...
4) Axle Links. Stock ones are soft as noodles. Replace with aluminum. Stock length is 117mm. Integy makes lower links that fit perfectly, and are pretty cheap!
The upper Links are a little challenge... I used Axial Honcho Y-Links, after cutting 9mm off of the front part that screws into the axle.
Being aluminum - I also bent the upper Link into a small arch. THAT stopped the driveshaft from hitting the Link!

........ Using Axial Links at the stock length, should get you a 313mm wheelbase easily.

Sorry about you two ending up with missing parts!! From what I've heard, nearly everyone who ordered from Banggood or AliExpress, has had parts missing. Holes in the box too! I apparently, got lucky, in that nothing was missing in mine... but buying a RC shouldn't be a crap shoot to see if you actually get what you ordered!!!
It's mainly how HG packages their kits - or DOESN'T. Mine came in a beat up box, with loose bags inside. NOT exactly Tamiya quality there!
Of course, for getting all of my pieces, I ended up paying MORE than most everyone else. I still call it a bargain though...

These CAN WORK!! They just require some creativity. Most 400-415mm long frame rails work well. If you can only do one mod right away - do aluminum links and a decent Servo.
I TRIPLED the amount of steering I had, just doing that!!! The main reason these have such piss poor steering, is because first, the stock Servo is weak, but mainly - when you steer, most of what happens is - the front axle just gets pushed from side to side!! The wheels barely turn at all.

A few people have had good results with converting it to axle mounted Servo. It does work well, but isn't that a step backwards??? Besides, it's 4X harder to convert than others, because it never came that way, and nobody makes parts to do it.

Some have just installed SCX10-1 axles. Very easy swap. I may even consider it, if a deal (or gift!) comes along....
Thing is, the revamped HG axles are MUCH stronger than the old 4mm version. Besides that, with it's odd, compound bevel gear diffs, it accidentally gives you automatic hill brakes!! If your ESC doesn't have that feature. AND, it's got a 4.1:1 axle ratio - when everyone else's is around 3:1.
Mine cruises along at a brisk walking pace, wide open, with a HIGH torque 25 turn motor!! Makes it a STRONG climber!

Anyway, I've written a lot (too much?)... I wanted to share my experience, hoping it helps others.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:05 PM   #14
clm
Quarry Creeper

I didn't order a 2 speed servo for it, I did however order this;

https://www.banggood.com/HG-P401P402...l?rmmds=search

Just ordering the 2 speed servo won't work as it does not come with the 2 speed arm for use with the servo... and there are far better servos out there, also making a linkage is easy enough.

Mocked up with the Axial steel c channel rails my truck has a ton of flex at 300mm. I have the front shocks swapped with a set of vintage 1.02 associated rc10t front shocks, I tried some spare tmaxx shocks but... well that removed all my suspension travel as they are not suited for this light truck ;)

If I manage to get the axial frame rails to work I may also try to swap for the scx10 II battery and steering servo mount as I would like it to have a front mount battery. I am also probably going to get one of the Honcho style cab only bodies and build a scrappy flat bed.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:14 PM   #15
clm
Quarry Creeper

Poorman, Ha! we must have been posting at the same time.

I like this truck because it is a quirky truck. I think those high pinion axles and the Losi LST style 2 speed trans is quite unique.

I also bought a Traxxas TRX-4 at the same time.. I am spending more time and creativity wrenching on the HG because it needs so much more work, the Traxxas just works and aside from normal 'swap the servo' type stuff it needs nothing. The HG brings out the creativity I had way back in the 90's
Old 08-13-2017, 01:12 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Poorman, Ha! we must have been posting at the same time.

I like this truck because it is a quirky truck. I think those high pinion axles and the Losi LST style 2 speed trans is quite unique.

........ The HG brings out the creativity I had way back in the 90's
You get it!
If I actually HAD money, I might have something else. I can't see a TRX-4 in my future... I REALLY like the Portal Axles though, and may get a pair of those. I can't fathom almost $500.00, and a marketing strategy that involves only a trickling of Rigs coming out at a time, with very hyped advertising - causing a fever pitch among the younger crowd with Rich Dads.... and the teens and 20-somethings that think that Traxxas is the best, no matter what!
I think it's a good, solid Rig. I just can't get past the company's philosophy...
I studied Traxxas in Marketing School. They did the exact same thing with T-MAXX, Revo, and then Slash.....
(On that note, I LOVED my MAXX, and would have another, if it wasn't TWICE what I paid for it in 2004)

Like you, I got this KNOWING that it wasn't that great.... It's a great project, that I'm going to enjoy embarrassing people who spent 3X as much on theirs!!

On another note, Redcat is coming out with a full Scaler/Crawler by September.
They LISTENED. It's got everything you'd want, nothing you don't, simple, solid - and a base street price of only $189.95!!!!
I for one, can't wait to see it!
Old 08-13-2017, 02:20 AM   #17
clm
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorManRC View Post
On another note, Redcat is coming out with a full Scaler/Crawler by September.
They LISTENED. It's got everything you'd want, nothing you don't, simple, solid - and a base street price of only $189.95!!!!
I for one, can't wait to see it!
I saw that, but I am not too sold on it. I tend to like the steel c channel chassis better for scale trucks instead of what looks to be a cross between TVP and chassis rails. And the body is a bit of a caricature of a Cherokee for me.

If I were to build up from a Redcat truck I would probably start from an Everest 10 which has the same drivetrain and can be gotten from Tower for a 3 pay of less then $50 a month. A cheap used Axial chassis set and about any body you wanted and you would be into it less then the same mods on that truck and it might be a more solid feel.

I do like that you can use Axial parts on the Redcat cars however.

When I hear people wanting to get into the scalers or crawlers I always tend to recommend the E-10 actually...
Old 08-13-2017, 02:43 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I'm not completely sold either. I would like to see one, in person.
You gotta figure, at that price, they had to cut something! Frame Rails are cheap enough, that if that's the main issue, it wouldn't stop me. The frame DOES look a little cheesy though.
Body - I never used the stock bodies, except for testing and thrashing.

That body IS most of what I didn't like in the late 80's to the late 90's. SCALE is the whole reason I got back into RC, just 6 months ago!
Time will tell, I guess.... I'm just happy that someone else is catering to the Po Folk like me, and many others priced out of the Hobby.
I would get an ECX Barrage - but BURN the body that comes with it, with fire!!! WHEW!!!!! Butt Ugly!
Old 08-13-2017, 02:51 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I would have an Everett 10 also. They don't look bad....

I finally DUMPED Photobucket!! If this new host works, you should be able to see my P402....
Old 08-13-2017, 02:57 AM   #20
clm
Quarry Creeper

Nice truck Carmine, those axles definitely call for it to be built as a big heavy truck... and then it is smaller then my TRX

Ideally I would love to find a deuce and a half cab to put on it, but the only one I know of is the Cross RC one and it is many multiples of times more expensive then the poor truck was! lol I might end up going with an Axial Nukizer on it... as the axles make sense there. Maybe a k10 cab from Vaterra as with just a cab wheelbase is a mute point.

Opinion on my HGP402 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
your opinion.......... bob1961 Chit Chat 34 04-11-2015 07:55 PM
Any opinion on these ? DRV KRAWLER Electronics 8 09-15-2011 02:54 PM
Can i have your opinion please ? Alli 2.2 Scale Rigs 8 09-16-2009 07:20 PM
Opinion Shaun Chit Chat 13 11-20-2007 12:07 AM
Asking your opinion again. Double J Chit Chat 7 08-14-2006 01:28 PM