Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Shome's TFL Bronco

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2018, 10:54 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Shome's TFL Bronco

I traded for this partially complete TFL Bronco. I have wanted one of these since its release. Here are a couple of crappy pictures I snapped. You can compare the size in relation to the Mangler which is the same size as the Tamiya Bronco. My time for building during the spring and summer are limited but I will try to get this together. From what I have seen so far it is high quality. One thing I noticed that I did not catch in my research is the fact it runs a 4 link front. Interesting. I have not decided the colors scheme yet but here is a picture Im leaning towards.
Attached Images

SHOme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2018, 05:31 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Shome's TFL Bronco

I will need one of these one day. Very nice looking scale rig for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 05:25 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Changed my mind on the color. First color done.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2018, 07:27 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

There is a significant amount of in and out play on the axle pinons. I pulled the rear down and added two .030 shims. Still at least double that amount to tighten it up. The mesh seems good though with no backlash. This is my first experience with SCX 10 type axles. I don't know if this is normal. It would just make since to me to have as much pinion gear grabbing the spool gear as possible. There was a good amount of quality grease from the factory. Although I will clean it out and pack it with marine grease. Please chime in on the pinion issue. I will research tomorrow.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:39 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I also picked up a Yeah Racing dual motor winch because of it's low profile. The spot TFL gives to place it kinda sucks. If I put it on top of the mounting plate I would have to hack the grill for clearance. I saw pictures on Banggood that showed a single motor mounted in this fashion. It's gonna get beat on here. There is room, if they had pushed the servo/winch mounting plate back slightly, to fit it behind the grille. This may be a mod I do after I beat the crap out of this one. I also considered a skid plate to protect it.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:02 PM   #6

I just received my TFL Bronco , I found that my diff's had tons of back lash . on mine the pinion can be pushed in and out 3/16" with the drive shaft installed . they are hypoid type gears so they need to be shimmed just right or the gears will run rough as they will hang up on the heel or toe of the gear . I took the diffs apart and there has been no attempt to shim anything . are your diffs the same . I need a .020" shim on my pinion and a .040 on my crown gear for things to run smooth . the way it's set up the gears have very little mesh and feel notchy in one direction so I doubt they will last long . It's not a true hypoid because the pinion enters in the center of the crown but they do have curved teeth so you need to find that sweet spot when shimming the pinion , once you find that smooth spot you need to shim the crown gear over to reduce the backlash . Don't try to reduce backlash by adjusting only the pinion as you will have poor alignment of the teeth . . cheers Roger

Last edited by Ramjett; 04-20-2018 at 09:13 PM.
Ramjett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:17 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramjett View Post
I just received my TFL Bronco , I found that my diff's had tons of back lash . on mine the pinion can be pushed in and out 3/16" with the drive shaft installed . they are hypoid type gears so they need to be shimmed just right or the gears will run rough as they will hang up on the heel or toe of the gear . I took the diffs apart and there has been no attempt to shim anything . are your diffs the same . I need a .020" shim on my pinion and a .040 on my crown gear for things to run smooth . the way it's set up the gears have very little mesh and feel notchy in one direction so I doubt they will last long . It's not a true hypoid because the pinion enters in the center of the crown but they do have curved teeth so you need to find that sweet spot when shimming the pinion , once you find that smooth spot you need to shim the crown gear over to reduce the backlash . Don't try to reduce backlash by adjusting only the pinion as you will have poor alignment of the teeth . . cheers Roger
Your description matches min exacty. Thanks for the info. I ordered some shims last week. Still waiting.

Old 04-23-2018, 06:34 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Angelina wanted know why her truck wasn't ready. I told her just because someone wrapped you in bubble wrap and shoved you in a bag and shipped you back from China, don't get short with me.

Old 04-24-2018, 06:38 AM   #9

If your diff is anything like mine you will have to file the bearing caps so they will hold the outer bearing race . with mine you can slide the carrier back and forth and the bearings are just sliding inside the caps . I filed just enough off the cap so they lightly clamp the outer race of the bearing . if you leave them loose and a bearing locks up it will spin in the bearing saddle and wipe out the diff housing . I am a little annoyed with these problems for the cost of this kit and have contacted the manufacturer . On my diff the backlash/clearance was so great I ended up having to machine a 1/16" spacer to push the ring gear over then used .003 shims to set the clearance . mine would have taken $50 in shims LOL. Just curious how tall are the figures you guys are using ,I ordered the T800 and he is 7" tall but not sure if he will fit , I might have to get that girl you have for Arnold's passenger, she's nice how tall is she, what town is she from / store ..
cheers Roger

Last edited by Ramjett; 04-24-2018 at 06:50 AM.
Ramjett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:06 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramjett View Post
If your diff is anything like mine you will have to file the bearing caps so they will hold the outer bearing race . with mine you can slide the carrier back and forth and the bearings are just sliding inside the caps . I filed just enough off the cap so they lightly clamp the outer race of the bearing . if you leave them loose and a bearing locks up it will spin in the bearing saddle and wipe out the diff housing . I am a little annoyed with these problems for the cost of this kit and have contacted the manufacturer . On my diff the backlash/clearance was so great I ended up having to machine a 1/16" spacer to push the ring gear over then used .003 shims to set the clearance . mine would have taken $50 in shims LOL. Just curious how tall are the figures you guys are using ,I ordered the T800 and he is 7" tall but not sure if he will fit , I might have to get that girl you have for Arnold's passenger, she's nice how tall is she, what town is she from / store ..
cheers Roger
Check out Neca figures. They have good detail and are approximately 7" tall. I will look at making a spacer as well thanks.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:26 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

I put a 7 in figure in it last night. Its not going to work with the factory seats. I saw where someone cut a hole in the firewall and boxed in a foot well. I also saw where someone put a spacer under the seat. I think I'm going to ask Codyboy to make me another set of racing seats because the seats that come with the kit are very nice but are way to heavy. Ill put them on the scale tonight. Ill also post some pics of drivers. A 6 inch drive fits really well. I might hack Angelina's legs a bit and find some pants to hide it. No body is going to be looking at her pants anyway
Old 04-25-2018, 04:02 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOme View Post
I put a 7 in figure in it last night. Its not going to work with the factory seats. I saw where someone cut a hole in the firewall and boxed in a foot well. I also saw where someone put a spacer under the seat. I think I'm going to ask Codyboy to make me another set of racing seats because the seats that come with the kit are very nice but are way to heavy. Ill put them on the scale tonight. Ill also post some pics of drivers. A 6 inch drive fits really well. I might hack Angelina's legs a bit and find some pants to hide it. No body is going to be looking at her pants anyway
Seats are 2 oz. Ridiculous. Here are shots of a 6 and 7 inch driver. 6 fits good 6.5 would be ideal. 7 inch can't get in the seat.

Old 04-26-2018, 02:51 AM   #13
RCC Addict

I like all the figures. Nice
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 03:04 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I borrowed this idea from a picture I saw when searching TFL Broncos. Stainless sidepipe sliders.

Old 05-13-2018, 05:18 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Looking good! This kit has piqued my interest for sure.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 01:03 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Soooooo the paint I used wasn't compatible with the fiberglass event though it stated it was. I sanded/pealed and scraped it off. Now I'm going back to the original plan. Still have to do the hood but here is where I am at the moment.

Old 06-13-2018, 05:14 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

A little flat black on the hood.

Old 06-24-2018, 01:55 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

The kit is awesome. I have not run it yet. There are a few things I can point out that I believe would make this better. The winch location will probably be an issue. I think TFL could have allowed space for it behind the grille. I wish the frame had arches in the front for more axle travel. In the rear the battery tray limits the rear axle. The truck could sit much lower if these two areas were addressed. The axles had a ton of slop. I used a significant amount of shims to get the mesh where it needed to be. I bought this for the cool factor and I am a huge Bronco fan. The all metal construction and fiberglass body and interior are truly top notch. I may buy another body and attempt to make a rail chassis with similar tube work so I can compete in class 2 events and get a lower stance. I give the kit 4 out of 5 considering the items mentioned. I would not consider this an off brand. I would consider it like a high end kit. Everything is already upgaded. If you took an Axial or Veterra and added metal axles, shocks, motor forward heavy duty links, metal driveshafts, and a hard body you would be well over $600. Hope this helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdriftmasterj View Post
Great build! Have you liked the kit as a whole. I've been interested in it but it's quite expensive for an off name brand. I hope to hear good things!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2018, 01:49 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

I don't like the way the battery is semi visable in this rig so I built a tool box that I will attach to the swing away(up) tire carrier. Off to softball practice. Happy 4th everyone! Be safe.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:46 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Here is a few more shots with the body fitted.

Shome's TFL Bronco - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Johnny's TFL Bronco Johnnysplits 1.9 Scale Rigs 49 02-25-2019 10:52 AM
Blue TFL Bronco STRAT 1.9 Scale Rigs 9 04-11-2018 11:50 AM
The-Gamer's TFL Racing Bronco the-gamer 1.9 Scale Rigs 7 03-16-2018 09:28 AM
TFL Bronco Johnnysplits General Crawlers 10 09-16-2017 10:14 PM
TFL Fiberglass Bronco Tuber STANG KILLA SS General Scale Talk 16 02-06-2017 08:32 AM