Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Lowering your center of gravity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2020, 12:54 AM   #1

Default Lowering your center of gravity

I recently bought my first crawler about three months ago. I bought the SCX10II Huncho . Since I bought it I bought new 1.9 rims and tires and I put a lift kit from hot racing on it. Every since I put the lift on, I thought the center of gravity is too high now. So I was out crawling last weekend and I broke the stock AR44 axle housing.
So I plan on replacing the stock axles with… Well what I could afford. But they’re still pretty nice. I’m buying some Integy axles with a pan hard bar mount. So they will work with the three link pan hard bar set up. I’m also going to order KYX Portal ends. The axles will take my stock internals and the KYX portals fit stock internals.
Now my center of gravity is going to be even higher. This is what I came up with to lower my center of gravity. The first thing I’m gonna do is update the stock links with stock length beef tubes. And then I’m going to buy the long aluminum and stainless steel tie rod ends to give me longer wheelbase. Then the next thing I want to do, and this is after staring at this suspension for hours. But what I’m going to do is take my hot racing lift kit and turn it upside down and make it a lowering kit. After that I’m going to remove the pan hard bar mount and I’m going to lower where the pan hard bar mounts. Then I’m gonna move my servo for the steering to the very front of the frame. So when I lower my pan hard bar mount I’ll move my shocks up higher than the stock height. This will lower my suspension and give me back my center of gravity. Now even though I’m lowering the suspension I’m not going to be lower than stock height because of the portal ends on my axles.
RC rock crawling is new to me. But with what I know about rock crawling and 4wheeling this is what I came up with.
To get back my center of gravity. Tell me what you’ve done, Let me know what you think of my idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
b_fenske is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2020, 03:58 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Lowering your center of gravity

If it were me, personally I would put it back to stock height, maybe lightly lower. add little weight down low, and drive it. If you want to make things more stable, add some thicker shock oil in the rear and potentially stiffer springs in the rear.
coffeeaddict17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 04:57 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Lowering your center of gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeaddict17 View Post
If it were me, personally I would put it back to stock height, maybe lightly lower. add little weight down low, and drive it. If you want to make things more stable, add some thicker shock oil in the rear and potentially stiffer springs in the rear.
+1 , those lift kits only hurt, and the portals don't help , maybe one solution is than Vanquish VS4-10 , put shorter shocks with portals , but if you wanna climb , do what your partner tells you, leave it as standard and add weight below.
FREEDOM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 02:57 PM   #4

Default Lowering your center of gravity

Yeah by lowering my pan hard bar mount, I can still have all the same travel with the stock shocks. I can go as much as 1/4 lower than stock height. But with the portal axles I’ll still have some lift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by b_fenske; 03-05-2020 at 03:31 PM.
b_fenske is offline   Reply With Quote

Lowering your center of gravity - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Center of Gravity xThexFearedx Team Losi Comp Crawler 4 10-21-2010 12:05 AM
Better center of gravity? 66sprint6 Axial SCX-10 26 11-20-2009 02:28 PM
center of gravity johnathan c Newbie General 5 07-13-2007 11:50 AM
Center Of Gravity pureadrenalin General Crawlers 27 12-16-2006 03:36 PM
Lowering Center of Gravity on Emaxx BrandonW Traxxas Crawlers 10 06-01-2006 04:17 PM