Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2018, 11:01 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: D90 Winch Challenge Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicer3 View Post
I want to know where you got that highlift hack from that thing looks cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Highlift jack is from RC4WD, part# Z-S1526.
https://store.rc4wd.com/RC4WD-110-Hi...ck_p_4655.html

The jack mounting bracket/spare tire holder is a modified Killer Body spare tire holder, part# 48452.
Killerbody - Specializing in RC model bodies! | killerbody.com

D
valheru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:06 AM   #23
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by valheru View Post
The Highlift jack is from RC4WD, part# Z-S1526.
https://store.rc4wd.com/RC4WD-110-Hi...ck_p_4655.html

The jack mounting bracket/spare tire holder is a modified Killer Body spare tire holder, part# 48452.
Killerbody - Specializing in RC model bodies! | killerbody.com

D

Thank you.
Btw I have a defender as well and I am jelly of how yours is coming along nice attention to detail. And the scale you put into the truck

I am gonna have to go back and rethink everything I have done so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
spicer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:27 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Update 16 – January 30, 2018:

My custom radiator build and the installation of the external oil cooler are almost complete; I made a radiator shroud like all proper race setup have in order to draw cool air over the entire surface of the radiator versus only where the fans are located.

To cut the hole to the required diameter to fit the fans, I used a compass with two hard points, one inserted into a hole I drilled in the center and the second to progressively scrape the styrene.

Sadly, the shroud, regardless of how accurate it is, hides all the nice work I put into the radiator face. Therefore, I may decide to modify the fan grilled covers to expose more of the details hidden by them.

I also worked on the rigid coolant lines, which pass thru the floor of the cargo box. Missing are the lines going to the oil cooler which I still need to fabricate.

D
Old 05-09-2018, 06:44 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Update 17 – January 31, 2018:

Since the RC4WD 8274 winch I have on the D90 is amongst the most powerful available in the RC world (50lbs of dead lift capability) stopping the cable at the end in time to avoid damages can be tricky, therefore I made a flexible winch hook mount out of a piece of bike shifter cable sleeve, end cap, screw-in eyelet and colored heat shrink.

The flexible winch hook mount, a.k.a. “Donkey Stick” or “Winch Dildo” are fairly common on the winch challenge series of racing.

D
Old 05-09-2018, 06:54 AM   #26
RCC Addict

Excellent job
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 02:36 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teng View Post
Excellent job
Quote:
Originally Posted by touch racing View Post
The level of detail is amazing. The zip tie radiator is genius.
Thank you both for your compliments.

In all honesty, I didn't invent anything new, the zip-tie radiator trick I had seen done once before while roaming the net.

D
Old 05-11-2018, 05:04 AM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Update 18 – February 17, 2018:

I added scale details of the radiator assembly by adding the filler cap (out of more styrene) and opened up the fan guards that we may see more of the details hidden beneath.

I wanted to overdrive the front axle to aid in crawling and turning, but there is no overdrive differential gears available for the Boom Racing Phat axles…

After some digging on the net, I found someone in the U.S. that flipped his t-case upside down on their RC4WD TF2 by making a new mount for it (cross member against the floor pan and the t-case unprotected towards the ground), but this is not possible with my chassis/body.

Therefore, I flipped the input shaft within the housing and rotated the t-case 180 degrees on the cross member.

Now the transmission and rear axle are on the same shaft and the front axle is on the original input shaft which now acts as a gear multiplier instead of a reducer.

This left me requiring a drive shaft from the transmission to the t-case that is shorter than the shortest one commercially available.

So, out comes a spare drive shaft I had, the grinder and the MIG welder, full custom baby!

Turned out pretty well, now project D90 Winch Challenge Pickup turns much better.

D
Old 05-14-2018, 06:09 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Update 19 – February 26, 2018:

More scale details on project D90 Winch Challenge Pickup; I scratch built a complete exhaust system, out of different size of styrene tubes, which were a PITA to bend without collapsing, painted, weathered and nicely fitted where it should not hang on obstacles.

My Beef Patties weighted wheel hexes were painted and weathered, I installed a RC4WD V8 engine cover until such time that I buy a scale engine or build one, and modified the front fenders to better protect the back side of the headlamp assemblies.

D
Old 05-15-2018, 09:19 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Update 20 – February 26, 2018:

The relocated radiator and oil cooler are painted, detailed and ready to be mounted to the body once I paint it.

The radiator is “polished” aluminum which is Spaz Stix mirror chrome paint with no clear applied and the details of radiator core were accentuated with a homemade dark wash.

I added an overflow tube to the rad cap, detailed the radiator cap, painted some "blue silicone" 90 degree hose couplers, painted the oil cooler hoses with Testor flat rubber, and I added band clamps to every hose connection.

D
Old 05-15-2018, 10:23 AM   #31

Wow! Great build!

My jaw literally dropped when I saw your exhaust.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:15 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Amazing bits of detailing.. :O
Zukiiholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:36 AM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zukiiholic View Post
Amazing bits of detailing.. :O

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Wow! Great build!

My jaw literally dropped when I saw your exhaust.

Thank you both.

D
Old 05-16-2018, 08:48 AM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Update 21 – February 27, 2018:

I swapped the black set screw and nut combo on my RC4WD Spectre wheels to scale SS bolts, painted the labels on the new fairlead and removed the locking latch on the hook of the winch.

But what is this, a shotgun shell emptied of its content and a nice looking, hand sewn scale orange handbag…

D
Old 05-18-2018, 06:20 AM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Update 22 – February 28, 2018:

Those wondering what the emptied shotgun shell and orange hand sewn bag is all about, it’s a winch damper for project D90 Winch Challenge Pickup, and a mandatory safety item for racing.

D
Old 05-23-2018, 09:43 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Update 23 – March 4, 2018:

Slowly getting there, I started painting the body and in between coats I fabricated a car battery tray, got most of the interior done and figured out how to hold my shovel in the cargo box.

The battery itself is 3D printed by a member of my local crawler club, the battery tray, clamp and cable terminals are all custom and made out of styrene, and the nuts are for plastic model kits.

I installed a 5 point race harnesses (store bought), replaced the shoulder straps with custom made ones as the stockers were too short and yes, they would fail the tech inspection as they are not mounted with a 0 to -10 degrees to the ground, but I have limited space in the cab to make a four point cage with a cross brace to mount them to. But I did use scale hardware where visible.

I got the NOS bottle installed because you never have enough power for your own good! I made a gauge for the tank, remote control solenoid and rigid line to feed the engine.

To hold the shovel in the bed of the truck, I decided to K.I.S.S. and made a simple styrene clamp with scale hardware. Works for me!

I did think about weathering the interior, but opted against as I will not do it either on the exterior. I will let the rocks and usage do it for me.

D
Old 05-23-2018, 09:53 PM   #37
RCC Addict

The attention to detail is outstanding.
The t-case trick I seen I somewhere too but don't remember. Its what I'm doing to overdrive my rig too.
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 03:24 AM   #38
Quarry Creeper

outstanding attention to detail like everyone else has said, so many useful tips and links in your thread to help others...

thanks heaps
rs10man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:29 AM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyrc View Post
The attention to detail is outstanding.
The t-case trick I seen I somewhere too but don't remember. Its what I'm doing to overdrive my rig too.
The t-case trick I found while looking how to over/under drive RC4WD axles since they don't offer different gear sets.

Boom Racing is the same in this regards, no over/under drive gear set for their Phat axles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs10man View Post
outstanding attention to detail like everyone else has said, so many useful tips and links in your thread to help others...

thanks heaps
Thank you

D
Old 05-25-2018, 11:35 AM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Update 24 – March 6, 2018:

Painting of the body is almost done, the main color is Pageant Blue (paint code 224 JNA) which actually is a 1978+ Triumph color, but was used by Land Rover (British Leyland owned for a while) for some special editions of the Defender series.

And of course, as per Murphy’s Law, a screw up on the main body had to happen, I had pits going down to the primer that formed in one spot on the driver rear fender. Luckily nothing that couldn’t be fixed by locally fixing the defect and repainting and blending the affected panel.

As a race truck, the rules state that "a properly sized fire extinguisher must be carried on the vehicle and must mounted in an easily accessible location", therefore what better place than within reach of the co-pilot. This fire extinguisher is store bought one (Asia Tees), but I added my personal touch added to it; I painted the handle aluminum, gauge, hose clamps and I made a safety pin for the lever.

While the last few panels are finishing to cure I started the final assembly process and freehand painting of small details onto the body.

D

D90 Winch Challenge Pickup - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From D90 to D110 pickup Binnendoor 1.9 Scale Rigs 10 09-27-2017 01:44 PM
D90 pickup J55TTC 1.9 Scale Rigs 51 09-02-2017 01:05 PM
1.7 D90 pickup THEmicroRR 1.5 Scale Rigs 10 03-25-2014 11:00 PM