Notices

Thread: D90 Winch Challenge Pickup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2018, 07:52 PM   #61
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: D90 Winch Challenge Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy D View Post
That is simply amazing. Question what is your thickness of styrene you use for most of your stuff?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rerebuilder View Post
Nice metal fab. Is that a metal break made for a vise? Where did you get that from.

Thank you both.

1. The styrene sheet thickness I use most is 0.060" and 99% of the time I fuse the pieces using MEK instead of gluing, way stronger bond.

I bought a 4'x10' a few years back for my 2-1-Charlie project (Slickrock 2-1-Charlie) have use less than 2 feet of it so far.

I also use some 0.035" for small detail work and have to come around to and buy some 1/8" eventually instead of constantly laminating 0.060" sheet when I need thicker stock.

2. The vise mounted bending brake is from Princess Auto in Canada (https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...ke/A-p8663775e), which is similar to Harbor Freight in the US, and is available for the 4, 5, 6 and 8" vises.

D
valheru is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2018, 07:05 AM   #62
I wanna be Dave

Been a while since I checked in to this thread - very well done sir! Truck looks great, and love that so many things are built not bought.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:18 AM   #63
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Been a while since I checked in to this thread - very well done sir! Truck looks great, and love that so many things are built not bought.
Thank you, I try and make as much of it as possible unless what I need is not available or not cost/time effective to do myself.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:35 AM   #64
Quarry Creeper

Update 35 – April 2, 2018

Took time to make my own clear stickers for project D90 Winch Challenge Pickup, I am happy enough with the results to leave them on.

The layout is not the issue, it’s the OK results of printing your own clear labels. Even on a good quality home printer, it will never equate that of those commercially available.

And if you look closely, you'll notice that I added a novelty sticker on the dash...

I finally made an antenna for my CB, it’s a bit on the short side for its location to have proper range, but anything longer and it might become a disposable item during roll overs.

D
Old 06-22-2018, 05:58 AM   #65
Quarry Creeper

Update 36 – April 3, 2018

Started work on what should be the last scale item to go on project D90 Winch Challenge Pickup.

I cut a couple of round blanks from a sheet of styrene, drilled a hole in the middle of them all, stacked them nice and tight with a bolts thru the lot, then proceed to round them off roughly with the help of my drill a collection of coarse hand files.

I then super glued the stack and spent a good hour profiling the styrene blank to my liking.

Tomorrow night, I should start work on the balance.

D
Old 06-24-2018, 09:23 AM   #66
Quarry Creeper

Update 37 – April 5, 2018

One more scale detail for the books, I finished what I started yesterday on project D90 Winch Challenge Pickup.

Here is one tip when doing any sort of kits, albeit RC or plastic models, always keep some of the scree from the parts trees, those leftovers will come in handy in the future!

On with the show, I laminated and shaped more styrene sheets, use a piece of scree in the process, recycled the copper core of single strand electrical wires into rigid lines, and you end up with a scale brake servo (or booster).

And upon completion of said brake servo, realize that the custom battery and battery tray I made a while back are on the wrong side of the vehicle.

Let’s face it, a brake servo on the passenger side is not very useful!

After relocating my already relocated battery (it’s supposed to be in the crew compartment under the passenger seat) to the proper side of the vehicle, I mounted the brake servo and an oil catch can (made out of styrene scraps) to the firewall.

For Reference, this is the 1:1 Land Rover Defender Puma brake servo:

D
Old 06-26-2018, 05:12 AM   #67
Quarry Creeper

Update 38 – April 10, 2018

I received one more set of tires for project D90 Winch Challenge Pickup, some RC4WD 1.9” Goodyear MT/R 4.19”.

Here you can see a comparison with the other tires I had purchased for this project; on the left we have the 1.9” Boom Racing Hustler M/TX 4.19”, in the middle the 1.9” RC4WD Goodyear MT/R 4.19”, and on the right the 1.9” Boom Racing Hustler M/TX 4.45”.

Side views of the tires, all are mounted with the provided foams.

Installed on the truck with the actual measured overall diameter:

• 4.095” (104 mm) for the Hustler’s 4.19”;

• 4.213” (107 mm) for the Goodyear’s; and

• 4.331” (110 mm) for the Hustler’s 4.45”.

Funny how just a few millimetres on the diameter can make such a difference (Insert joke here!) to the overall look!

Now I just need to decide which ones to use.

D

Last edited by valheru; 06-26-2018 at 06:46 AM.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:54 AM   #68
Quarry Creeper

Update 39 – May 9, 2018

While looking at the near end result of this build, I realised that the steering linkages were in a rather exposed condition, therefore I fabricated a bumper skid plate extension/steering guard to protect them.

Can’t wait to try this build on the rocks, which should be very shortly at the
monthly meeting of my local rock crawlers club.

N.B. Yes there is missing hardware to fasten the skid, I ran out of M2 x 5 button head screws and an order was placed with my LHS.

D
Old 07-09-2018, 08:23 AM   #69
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronXIV View Post
the detail on this build is amazing!
Thank you
Old 07-09-2018, 08:26 AM   #70
Quarry Creeper

Update 40 – May 16, 2018

First time with project D90 Winch Challenge Pickup on my home course in a while.

I hadn’t run my truck since my first shake down run and figuring out that none of my current brushed motors were appropriate for a 13.5 lbs scaler.

Post installation of a new Holmes Hobbies 550 27T brushed motor and the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R 1.9" 4.19" by RC4WD, the verdict is as follow:

- She makes a solid “thud” with no bounce when rolling over or dropping onto obstacle.

- The Goodyear MT/R are awesome (with the stock foams) and just work on every surface I threw at it; from wet and dry granite and limestone, mud, wet and dry wood, etc.

- The HH 550 27T motor runs cool, has the perfect balance of top speed, torque and low end control for this beast!

- And it is officially a baptised rock crawler with rock induced “patina”!

D
Old 07-10-2018, 06:02 AM   #71
Quarry Creeper

Update 41 – May 20, 2018

Small update on project D90 Winch Challenge Pickup, mostly fine tuning at this point.

I wasn’t happy with the lack if adjustability of the stock servo mounts, therefore I made a new one with a few extra mounting positions!

D
Old 07-16-2018, 06:55 AM   #72
Quarry Creeper

Update 42 – May 26, 2018

First scale crawl competition of the season and project D90 Winch Challenge Pickup exceeded all of my expectations.

The 8274 winch is a beast, the Goodyear MT/R are the best performing and looking scale tires I’ve used so far, and we suffered no damages except for one lost shackle on the rear bumper...

On a bummed note, the 1/16 Summit that my son normally uses for these comps (locked F/R diff, CC 10A BEC, Axial ESC and 45T 540 motor) suffered steering servo failure 5 minutes after the start of the event... Therefore he did the crawl with “Big Daddy” Wraith which as a tummy tuck and 5.75” tall tires; fun to use on any rocks, but very little challenge for such a vehicle at a scale event!

On the bright side, the rain held off and we had minimal bugs, and the cage I made for the Wraith makes a good sandwich and juice box carrying platform for when you can’t decide if eating is more important than crawling!

D
Old 07-23-2018, 10:31 AM   #73
Quarry Creeper

Update 43 – July 7, 2018

The second scale crawl competition of the season is in the books and project D90 Winch Challenge Pickup, now known as “Big Blue”, is still exceeding what I thought a 14 lbs scale truck could do.

I am now the official recovery vehicle of my team; with the impressive capabilities of the RC4WD 8274 winch and the sheer weight of the truck as an anchor, I can pull/drag any of the other scalers in my group with ease, as most only weigh half my weight.

Only once was I forced to use a chain and the land anchor to hold Big Blue in place as to winch up my whole team up a bonus gate consisting of a 3 foot tall, 70 degree, smooth cement incline. Upon completion of pulling my team mates, I then proceeded to turn around, lower myself to the bottom of the hill before winching back up to make the bonus gate.

Even on sketchy obstacles, such as a wire bridge designed for the track width of a TF2, the sheer weight of Big Blue just wrapped the tires around the wire and railed it all the way, but not before stretching the wires a bit!

D
Old 02-05-2019, 01:32 PM   #74
Pebble Pounder

Amazingly clean build. You sir have some skills.
Brian5582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 05:15 PM   #75
Rock Crawler

Good thread bump Brian. I missed this build and am still working on a D90 PU myself.

Wonderful build and thanks for sharing your outings Anytime the kids want to go RC'n just makes my day. Again, awesome build, please share if you have any updates.
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:24 AM   #76
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5582 View Post
Amazingly clean build. You sir have some skills.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshs4x4toyz View Post
Good thread bump Brian. I missed this build and am still working on a D90 PU myself.

Wonderful build and thanks for sharing your outings Anytime the kids want to go RC'n just makes my day. Again, awesome build, please share if you have any updates.
I need to post up the repairs, maintenance and upgrades I did over winter to get Big Blue comp ready. Lets just say that after one G6, 5 local comps of 250 gates and some trail riding, it developed some wear and failures that I needed to address.

D
Old 10-14-2019, 06:04 PM   #77

Kudos! Great build thread and learned so much - thanks for sharing.
nem3sis is offline   Reply With Quote

D90 Winch Challenge Pickup - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From D90 to D110 pickup Binnendoor 1.9 Scale Rigs 10 09-27-2017 01:44 PM
D90 pickup J55TTC 1.9 Scale Rigs 51 09-02-2017 01:05 PM
1.7 D90 pickup THEmicroRR 1.5 Scale Rigs 10 03-25-2014 11:00 PM