Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Soze's HoBao DC1 Kit Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2018, 01:42 PM   #81
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Soze's HoBao DC1 Kit Build

I got mine a few days ago. It’s a nice thing to build with some really sturdy looking parts. Haven’t finished mine yet but damn those springs will have to go. I found some softer ones, but now I’ll have to either make the piston holes in shocks bigger or replace the silicone oil with water or something... of course that’s just a hunch as I haven’t driven it yet but... Build thread will come at some point.

And new wheels will be required at some point. My trusty heavy Gmade steelies aren’t exactly the type for this body Maybe these

Last edited by Joonatin; 05-31-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Joonatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2018, 01:53 PM   #82
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joonatin View Post
I got mine a few days ago. It’s a nice thing to build with some really sturdy looking parts. Haven’t finished mine yet but damn those springs will have to go. I found some softer ones, but now I’ll have to either make the piston holes in shocks bigger or replace the silicone oil with water or something... of course that’s just a hunch as I haven’t driven it yet but... Build thread will come at some point.

And new wheels will be required at some point. My trusty heavy Gmade steelies aren’t exactly the type for this body Maybe these
Awesome. After finishing mine.... the springs aren't that bad when everything is mounted on. It could still be a little softer though. The pistons are actually okay when everything is built up.

What softer springs did you go with? I'd like to try them out as well.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:02 PM   #83
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Awesome. After finishing mine.... the springs aren't that bad when everything is mounted on. It could still be a little softer though. The pistons are actually okay when everything is built up.

What softer springs did you go with? I'd like to try them out as well.
They were some random springs from a local hardware store. They have everything
Old 06-09-2018, 06:14 AM   #84
Rock Stacker

By the way, have you compared the driveshafts, cvds, axle outputs etc. to SCX10 II? They seem somewhat similar but I don't have one to compare with. Might be nice if you could some how fit the helical gear set in this and print new diff covers for the different gearing... Or get longer cvd ends to use some offset hexes...
Old 06-09-2018, 08:15 AM   #85
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
I like the shock mount methodology, seems more natural to the action of the shocks.

I also think the edge-relieved pistons may not be such a bad thing, especially if they foresaw holes being blocked by the e-clips and impeding flow, like in the case of stock Ascender shocks, that generally require the outer perimeter to be modified to allow flow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
True, the pistons might actually be ok. I just gotta figure out why 2 of them are more sticky. Maybe I didn't trim it well enough? Shouldn't be the case though since the side-cutters shouldn't leave any flash.

I'll have to take them apart later on and check it again.
Next time you have them apart measure the bore on the shock body. If its 7mm you could always try the machined pistons from Krazed Builds for the SCX shocks.

Truck looks solid though, impressed with Hobao on their first venture into the crawling area.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:53 PM   #86
I wanna be Dave

Finally took the HoBao on its maiden test run. As expected that front bumper is challenging. Overall, it did pretty decent though. Can't wait to get it out to my main crawl spot at CDM Rocks.

Old 11-09-2018, 05:46 PM   #87
I wanna be Dave

Guess what direction the Hobao DC1 is heading with these...

Traxxas TRX-4 Bronco Spare Tire Assembly

Team Raffee 1.9" Twin-5B Beadlock Wheels

Random Bumper that fit the curvature of the body

Prep work starting on the spare tire cover

Old 11-10-2018, 06:12 PM   #88
RCC Addict

I had some guesses but I talked myself out of them

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:26 PM   #89
I wanna be Dave

Haven't gotten around to finishing up those things I previewed yet, but here's a video of an outing with this truck.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:19 PM   #90

Nice run , I got the rtr version didn’t like it at first but after I replaced the shocks with Hpi venture shocks , and replaced the wheels and tires with hyrax on proline wheels it drives so much better.
DatsunDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:58 PM   #91
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsunDave View Post
Nice run , I got the rtr version didn’t like it at first but after I replaced the shocks with Hpi venture shocks , and replaced the wheels and tires with hyrax on proline wheels it drives so much better.
I never used the stock wheels and tires. They were crap, and I knew they were crap when I saw them. The shocks are ok, not bad, but could use a softer spring. Tires definitely made the biggest difference. I'm still not happy with the tires and foams I used on this truck so far though. I might need something softer and go to a two stage foam up front. I might use Pro-Line BFG Krawlers instead of the duratrax deep woods too. Just need a chance to test it out.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:30 PM   #92

I couldn’t get the stock shocks to work how I wanted they seemed too stiff even after I shaved the pistons , the Hpi shocks were a little shorter and I like the ride height it has now.
DatsunDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:35 PM   #93
I wanna be Dave

Got tired of waiting to get a chance to 3D print a Mercedes emblem for the spare tire cover, so I started the G-Wagonization of my DC1.

Parts:

Team Raffee Twin-5B 1.9 Beadlocks
Pro-Line 1.9 BF Goodrich KM3 XL G8
Traxxas Bronco Spare Tire Assembly

Out with the China-locks + Duratrax Deep Woods. In with the Team Raffee Twin 5B + Pro-line BFG KM3 XLs.

Sanded down and re-painted Traxxas Bronco spare cover...minus the Merc emblem.

Closer to becoming a G-Wagon.

IMO, it looks better than the G-Wagon body that Traxxas recently announced for the TRX4.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:26 PM   #94
I wanna be Dave

Old 10-22-2019, 05:18 PM   #95
I wanna be Dave

So yeah, the DC1 is definitely a more "trail" oriented truck. It's fantastic in that regard and the chassis is rock solid durable.

Although it's more trail oriented, I couldn't resist taking it out of its comfort zone and testing it out on the rocks at CDM.

For a trail oriented truck, it did pretty respectable despite the large body and stiff springs on the shocks. I'm now tempted to see how far I can push it by upgrading the servo, and some upgrade parts I picked up for the DC1 when I was in Taiwan.

Last edited by soze; 10-22-2019 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:42 PM   #96
I wanna be Dave

Seems like it did pretty good. 👍🏼
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:06 PM   #97
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Seems like it did pretty good. 👍🏼
Believe me, it wasn't easy with that huge body. Had to drive really carefully to prevent it tipping over.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:16 PM   #98
I wanna be Dave

You've really mastered the 1 handed driving technique! I dont even try anymore even though I should have an advantage with my weird lefty/hybrid grip.

Reminds me of my weighty TRX4 Defender, I wonder why lol. Get in a tough spot and you need a little more wheel speed... more, more, I said WHEELSPEED damn it!
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:48 PM   #99
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
You've really mastered the 1 handed driving technique! I dont even try anymore even though I should have an advantage with my weird lefty/hybrid grip.

Reminds me of my weighty TRX4 Defender, I wonder why lol. Get in a tough spot and you need a little more wheel speed... more, more, I said WHEELSPEED damn it!
The driving here requires 2 hands LOL! I have a nifty clamp on gopro mount for my radio.

I've got some parts made for this rig that may or may not help (they wanted me to test them though.... so I will). I'll be updating this thread again with them soon!
Old 11-11-2019, 12:27 PM   #100
I wanna be Dave

link="https://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
View this post on Instagram

A little birdie told me that there will be a HoBao sale on their site. Personally I have the DC1 and Hyper MT Plus II. DC1 is a solid trail truck and the Hyper MT Plus II is a beast of a truck. Both are tough as nails! Looks like some vehicles have additional discounts after you add them to cart. (ex: Hyper MT Plus II) https://www.hobao-usa.com/ If you order, mention revolutionx in the order notes. It'll help me potentially work out something with them in the future! Thanks! #hobao #hobaoracing #hobaorc #hobaohyper #hobaohypersse #hobaohypermtsportplus #hobaohypermtplus #hobaohypermtplusii #rc #rccars #rcmonstertruck #hobaodc1 #rccrawler #rctrailtruck

A post shared by Jim (@revolutionx_rc) on

Soze's HoBao DC1 Kit Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Soze's GMADE GOM GR01 Build soze G-Made Crawlers 69 08-20-2021 12:45 AM
Soze's MST CFX-W Build soze Max Speed Technology CFX 90 01-31-2019 01:02 AM
Soze's Axial Yeti Kit Progress tracker. soze Axial Yeti 31 03-09-2018 12:22 AM
HoBao DC-1 seedburns General Scale Talk 7 01-29-2018 06:39 PM