Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: "Forty One" by Ayala Metal Works for Crawler Innovations; 1.9 Ultra4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2019, 08:21 AM   #41
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Default Re: "Forty One" by Ayala Metal Works for Crawler Innovations; 1.9 Ultra4

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc.rc.shed View Post
excellent!

Agreed and thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixperez View Post
Your son is very talented. He's the future, God bless

I appreciate the kind words, thank you.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2019, 08:22 AM   #42
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Default Re: "Forty One" by Ayala Metal Works for Crawler Innovations; 1.9 Ultra4

Gavin, of Ayala Metal Works, takes "Forty One" out on the rocks at the CI compound for a session that he made into two videos for Crawler Innovations. This is video two.

For those following along in the videos of this build, you'll notice that Gavin has completed the interior, painting it by hand. Other items to note, the 1.9 Pitbull Rock Beast Tires are mounted to Vanquish Products bead locks and filled with Crawler Innovations proto-type dual stage closed cell foams. Both the outer and inner are made from closed cell, are water proof, and track the rim very well.

Gavin's Channel;
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7o...w84G931mmCGgaA

Crawler Innovations web store;
RC Crawler Foams, Rock Crawler Foams, Tires and More by Crawler Innovations

The source for RCCrawling info;
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/

#crawlerinnovations #deuceswildfoams #activatedoutlaw

Old 01-10-2019, 02:17 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc.rc.shed View Post
excellent!
Thank you!
-Gavin
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixperez View Post
Your son is very talented. He's the future, God bless
Thank you!
-Gavin
Gavin Ayala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:45 AM   #44

the son takes after the father in originality. I once bought some tires off Senior they were 1/8 scale truck tires which the sidewall had been cut off and 2.2 sidewalls glued on. Those tires went on my Clod axle based 2.2 stick frame. the days of real originality
felixperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:29 AM   #45
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Crawler Innovations held a Get Together at three locations in Tyler, Texas on 02.02.2019. This was a get together and not a competition. We drove whatever genre of rc crawler the majority wanted and applied the Activated Outlaw Rule Set to that class.

This video is Edmundo driving "Forty One" in the 4.50" scale crawler on a course at the LeGrand House.

Crawler Innovations web store:
RC Crawler Foams, Rock Crawler Foams, Tires and More by Crawler Innovations

Crawler Innovations on the RCCrawler forum;
Vendors - Crawler Innovations at RCCrawler.com

Goodman Museum;
http://www.parksandrec.cityoftyler.o...manMuseum.aspx

#crawlerinnovations #activatedoutlaw #ayalametalworks

Old 02-17-2019, 02:09 PM   #46

Wow
muffhuntin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 03:19 PM   #47
Quarry Creeper

Update
Edmundo broke a rear welded spool so I inspected and bad weld penetration. I welded up a new spool and installed. New Incision driveshafts for strength and reliability as we had a few issues with the set pins coming out on the old driveshafts.
I weighed the driveshafts and the Incision shafts are roughly 3 grams heavier than the old.

Installed

Old 02-21-2019, 03:30 PM   #48
Quarry Creeper

More

Forty-One is prepped and ready for some wheelin
Old 03-08-2019, 07:49 AM   #49
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Gavin and I (Edmundo Ayala) will be driving and filming RC cars on April 6, 2019 at the White Oak City Park in White Oak, Texas.
Start Time 9:30AM

Park Address:
500 E. Magnolia St.
White Oak, TX 75693

Park Web Site:
https://www.cityofwhiteoak.com/depar...oak-city-park/

The courses will be set based on the rc vehicles in attendance. So whatever the majority of the group has to drive, that is what we will run. No one will be turned away, and every RC will have a chance on course.

Based on our last two Get Togethers, fun was had by everyone, and more people are showing up. The March Get Together had three Competition course and three Activated courses.

Consider this your formal invite to stop by, drive your RC car and meet other hobbyists. This is not a competition or full blown event. This a get together with focus on driving and visiting. I hope to see you there and possibly get your RC car on camera.

Score Sheet that will be used:

Here is a full length (2.5hrs) video that Gavin made of the March Get Together. It is complete with a introduction and overview, along with every run from the day.

#crawlerinnovations #ayalametalworks #activatedoutlaw #doubledeucefoams #deuceswildwfoams #lilnovafoams #compcrawler #scalecrawler #rccrawler
Old 04-29-2019, 11:54 AM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Update
Edmundu broke a rear locker so I welded a new one up.

Tire wear

Rear upper links widened using jeepindoug 6mm aluminum ball studs.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:07 PM   #51
Quarry Creeper

I tried moving the upper 3rd link to the outside using a jeepindoug 6mm aluminum ball stud for less triangulation. Edmundu drove this and after the first battery I changed the link back.

Rear shocks widened using jeepindoug 6mm aluminum ball studs.

Front lower links widened using jeepindoug 6mm aluminum ball studs.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:17 AM   #52
Quarry Creeper

Update!!
Forty-one has been running great for the last couple months. Around the end of June into July I rebuilt 41. The rebuild goals were to add another light bar, Chassis panel, add chassis strength, grind/clean chassis, and paint the chassis.

Before rebuild

Old 07-16-2019, 10:30 AM   #53
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Thank you for building this for me Gavin. It is a wonderful birthday present and trophy for me as your father. Your continued effort to tune Forty One to be its best is inspiring.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:09 AM   #54
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Gavin and I (Edmundo Ayala) will be driving and filming RC cars on August 3, 2019 at the Goodman-LeGrand House & Museum in Tyler, Texas.

Start Time 9:30AM

Goodman-LeGrand House & Museum
624 North Broadway Avenue
Tyler, Texas 75702
(903) 531-1286
gmuseum@tylertexas.com

Goodman-LeGrand House & Museum Web Site:
http://www.parksandrec.cityoftyler.o...anLeGrand.aspx

The courses will be set based on the rc vehicles in attendance. So whatever the majority of the group has to drive, that is what we will run. No one will be turned away, and every RC will have a chance on course.

The Goodman-LeGrand location has great terrain for scale RC's as well as comp crawlers. This is our 3rd get together at this location for 2019. We are hopeful to run three Competition course and three Activated courses.

Consider this your formal invite to stop by, drive your RC car and meet other hobbyists. This is not a competition or full blown event. This a get together with focus on driving and visiting. I hope to see you there and possibly get your RC car on camera.

Score Sheet that will be used:

Here is a 45 minute video that Gavin created of the July Get Together which was held at this location. "Activated Class" or scale trucks were run on that day since that is what the majority or the group brought.

#crawlerinnovations #ayalametalworks #activatedoutlaw #doubledeucefoams #deuceswildwfoams #lilnovafoams #compcrawler #scalecrawler #rccrawler
Old 07-21-2019, 11:46 AM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Question.

Regarding welding the spools to the ring gear; are there any issues with the hardness of the gears?

The only reason I decided not to try it was because I didnt want to ruin the heat treat. I figured it would make the ring gear too soft.

Any insight?

Thanks!
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 04:05 PM   #56
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by frdtrkguy View Post

Regarding welding the spools to the ring gear; are there any issues with the hardness of the gears?

The only reason I decided not to try it was because I didnt want to ruin the heat treat. I figured it would make the ring gear too soft.

Any insight?

Thanks!
I don't know if the heat treat is affected. What I know Clean spool and ring gear clean of grease! I soak with gas and clean with simple green. I then use acetone to clean further. I attach the ring gear to the spool with the bolt holes not lining up so I can get the best weld Penetration. I heat up the spool for 30 secs with a torch let cool repeat. I then heat up the spool and Tig Weld all three holes. I let the spool cool. I file any excess weld above the ring gear to allow the bearing to fit. I don't think the gear heat treat is affected because I have broken many locker bolts but never broken one of my welded lockers or stripped a ring gear! I have 8 lockers welded and in RC'S still running today! I have Tig welded Axial gear to VP spool, VP gear To VP spool along with HR gear to HR spool and mixing them VP gear to HR spool. I prefer to use VP spools with vp low ratio gear and HR High ratio gear. That is my insight. If you have a 6lb rig that you drive hard I would definitely recommend welding the gears or if you want to never have to fix a broken locker bolt out on the trail weld it .
Old 07-22-2019, 06:19 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Ayala View Post
I don't know if the heat treat is affected. What I know Clean spool and ring gear clean of grease! I soak with gas and clean with simple green. I then use acetone to clean further. I attach the ring gear to the spool with the bolt holes not lining up so I can get the best weld Penetration. I heat up the spool for 30 secs with a torch let cool repeat. I then heat up the spool and Tig Weld all three holes. I let the spool cool. I file any excess weld above the ring gear to allow the bearing to fit. I don't think the gear heat treat is affected because I have broken many locker bolts but never broken one of my welded lockers or stripped a ring gear! I have 8 lockers welded and in RC'S still running today! I have Tig welded Axial gear to VP spool, VP gear To VP spool along with HR gear to HR spool and mixing them VP gear to HR spool. I prefer to use VP spools with vp low ratio gear and HR High ratio gear. That is my insight. If you have a 6lb rig that you drive hard I would definitely recommend welding the gears or if you want to never have to fix a broken locker bolt out on the trail weld it .
I appreciate the explanation! Ill give it a shot the next time I have the axles apart for maintenance.
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:41 AM   #58
Quarry Creeper

Continued Pictures from before rebuild.
The VP driveshafts have been strong and reliable.

Tire Wear

Old 07-23-2019, 10:55 AM   #59
Quarry Creeper

A new VP 5in light bar for the roof of Forty-One!

I Completely dissembled Forty-One. I sanded the lexan body panels smooth and washed them. I then did all the chassis modifications. I added roof light bar mount / tube work, Servo protection tube work, sleeved the rear bumper tube, front bumper tube work support, welded all open tubes closed, and welded panels on the bottom of the chassis to keep debris out.

Old 07-23-2019, 10:58 AM   #60
Quarry Creeper

More pics

Tags
#activatedoutlaw, #ayalametalworks, #cicellblock, #crawlerinnovations, #lilnovafoams

"Forty One" by Ayala Metal Works for Crawler Innovations; 1.9 Ultra4 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crawler Innovations "Big Blue" - 2.2 KOH Crawler; wraith based Nova's Ark Axial Wraith 91 07-17-2019 02:22 PM
2013 Mini Clod "Crawler Innovations" Shelf Rig Szczerba Tamiya Clod Buster 62 01-20-2019 08:56 AM